Jasmine1984: Going off Citalopram

Jasmine1984

Im on my second day going off Citalopram . Is it normal to feel rapid heart beat?

i feel like I'm going to die. I'm scared . 

• KarenB changed the title to Jasmine1984: Going off Citalopram
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Jasmine - Welcome to SA,

Can you tell us some more details?  Some people do experience rapid heart beat, but usually if they have made a reduction that is too big for them to cope with.

What dose were you on, and how did you stop?  Cold-turkey or a taper?  Please put all this information in your signature.

We will be able to help you work out a plan to taper without such awful side-effects: Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

It is scary, I know - but we can help you through this. 

Karen.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thank you for replying.

ive taken Citalopram for years and I'm abusing on alcohol . I really need to stop it's ruining my life my marriage my kids. I can't continue drinking everyday and taking Citalopram. My life is passing by me .

• Moderator Emeritus

Jasmine - SSRI medication has a known "side" effect in some people of increase their desire to consume alcohol.  I can't find the article about that, perhaps another member or mod will find it and post the link.

In order to help you, we need your help. Take a few deep breaths, then spend a few minutes answering these questions:

1. What dose of citalopram were you taking?
  2. How did you stop? Cold-turkey or by stepping down the dose?
  3. Do you have any citalopram tablets or capsules?
  4. What other drugs -- prescription, over the counter, or street -- are you taking now regardless of the reason?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I didn't know that the desires to drink alcohol were one of the side effects and I've drank everyday for about 2 years.

1. I was taking 10mg a day

2. I cut all the pills in half, so I'm taking now 5 mg. a day.

3. Yes I still have tablets of Citalopram.

4. I occasionally take Zolpidem 10mg to sleep when I have a hard time falling asleep.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for those answers Jasmine.  Do you remember when you started taking 5mg each day? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Jasmine, taking a psychoactive medication to deal with the effects of another psychoactive medication, whether it is a "side" effect or withdrawal effect, is rarely a good idea.  You may be able to get back to a healthy sleep pattern by returning to your previous dose of citalopram.

Because you decreased to 5 mg only 3-4 days ago, you would be best to return to 10 mg at your next scheduled dose. Then, give yourself time to get nice and steady on that.  Delay re-starting your taper until after you've been steady on 10 mg for at least few weeks.

How will you know you're steady? Because you'll be monitoring and tracking your symptoms. Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

You can improve your sleep by implementing ideas from this topic:

Tips to help sleep - dealing with that awful withdrawal insomnia.

Edited by scallywag

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

21 hours ago, Jasmine1984 said:

Thank you for replying.

ive taken Citalopram for years and I'm abusing on alcohol . I really need to stop it's ruining my life my marriage my kids. I can't continue drinking everyday and taking Citalopram. My life is passing by me .

hi jasmine ,I liked to drink before the drugs but for 2.5 years my drinking went through the roof while  on them. Please give up alcohol we don't need it especially in withdrawal I reckon ,I'm 2.5 years sober and its the best thing I ever did ,in my worst waves I sit back and nearly cry with happiness I don't have to put up with everything that comes with drinking .

when not drinking we can judge our symptoms much better I reckon .

take care

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus
19 hours ago, Jasmine1984 said:

I didn't know that the desires to drink alcohol were one of the side effects and I've drank everyday for about 2 years.

Hi, Jasmine.

Welcome to SA from me, too.

Yes, there is a correlation between SSRIs and alcohol. Please see:

Driven To Drink: Antidepressants and Cravings for Alcohol

And this is a study from the PubMed database:

New onset alcohol dependence linked to treatment with selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors.

This is very good news, as you may not have alcohol cravings once you are off the antidepressant or at least they may not be nearly as intense. Also, alcohol can cause sleep disturbances, so as you come off all of these substances, you'll be able to sleep better. 

20 hours ago, Jasmine1984 said:

4. I occasionally take Zolpidem 10mg to sleep when I have a hard time falling asleep.

How many times a week are you taking Zolpidem (Ambien)? Zolpidem is sometimes referred to as a z-drug and it carries the same risks of dependency as a benzodiazepine. These drugs can cause dependency in as little as 2 - 4 weeks, even with "as needed" use. As Scallywag mentioned in her previous post, hopefully you will regain your ability to sleep as you make the necessary adjustments to your citalopram.

However, it's important to know if you are already dependent on Zolpidem as you set up a game plan for coming off these drugs. As you continue to provide information, we can help you set up a game plan for a safe withdrawal. 

The only withdraw I'm having is insomnia .

i really don't want to go back to 10mg.

I need to stop this pill some how. 

I really don't know what to do ☹️

• Moderator Emeritus

Jasmine, insomnia is a symptom that afflicts many of us. Here's our discussion on dealing with sleep issues: Tips to help sleep.

Some people find a small dose of melatonin helpful when taken at dusk or a few hours before sleeping.

Melatonin for sleep

Happy2Heal posted a youtube meditation that she has found helpful in this post in dan998's introduction topic.

Hard as it may be to believe, it's not citalopram that's causing your symptoms. It is the sudden decrease in dosage that has caused it.   Here is what the FDA requires the manufacturer to state about discontinuing citalopram or decreasing dose:

If intolerable symptoms occur following a decrease in the dose or upon discontinuation of treatment, then resuming the previously prescribed dose may be considered. Subsequently, the physician may continue decreasing the dose but at a more gradual rate

Returning to your previous dose or one that is between your current dose and the previous one is the most promising way to ease your symptoms.

As your introduction topic gets longer, it will be difficult to continue to work with you without a posting signature that lists your medication history -- drugs, doses, dates of starting, dose changes and discontinuations.  Please take a few minutes to

Edited by scallywag
add FDA quote and RFSig.

scallywag's Introduction