Scorpio: Will this ever end?

Scorpio

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Scorpio,

If you've got some daily symptoms notes for the last week please post them.  If not, please keep them over the next 3 days and post.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Scorpio

• JS11

• Flowers

• bubble

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Hi Scorpio,

If you've got some daily symptoms notes for the last week please post them.  If not, please keep them over the next 3 days and post.

Hi ChessieCat 

thank you for replying so quickly.  My symptoms are very similar to when I wrote in November but from Saturday are as follows 

saturday 20th

slept from 11.30 to 7.00am good night

7.00 - 1mg cipralex. 

7.30 - yoghurt and banana. Anxiety low, low tinnitus,  good bowels.  

10.30 - all symptoms low and out with husband - enjoying day

12.30 - lunch out - amazing 

3,00 - home daughter and grandson here until 8.00pm

8.00pm - supper

11.00 - 1mg melatonin bed. 

Sunday 30th

6.30am - woken with burning head, high anxiety, screaming tinnitus 

7.00am - 1mg cipralex 

7.30 - yoghurt unable to eat anything else

9.00 - twitching eye, nausea, high anxiety, heavy legs, si,  high tinnitus

11.00 - symptoms continuing unable to do anything laying on sofa

1.00 -  symptoms same, unable to eat.  

4.00 - anxiety eases a little, all other symptoms same

6.00 - able to cook easy dinner and eat. 

7 - 11pm - symptoms eased able to watch tv 

monday 31st

woke at 5.00am - burning head, extreme anxiety, nausea, tinnitus. 

7.00am - 1mg cipralex

7.30 - all same symptoms but even worse. Crying .  No appetite 

8.30 shower, unable to do anything. Nausea high anxiety terrible. Crying. 

10.30 - lay on settee incapable of doing anything. Guilt ridden. Legs heavy. Nausea.  High tinnitus.  High anxiety. 

‘This continued all day and through the evening. No appetite unable to eat. 

Bed 12.15 as felt had to keep husband company. 

‘’Tuesday 1st

could not get to sleep

woke at 6am burning head, extreme anxiety, nausea, tinnitus. Symptoms same as yeaterday no easing at all. 

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

• Moderator Emeritus
15 minutes ago, Scorpio said:

all symptoms low and out with husband

That's one way to get rid of the symptoms, sent them out with the hubby. 🤣

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

12 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

That's one way to get rid of the symptoms, sent them out with the hubby. 🤣

Well at least you made me giggle, which seemed impossible for the past few days. 

‘I’m so scared at the moment and keep telling myself these waves which are far more than the windows will go but it seems an impossible hope at the moment. 18 months nearly of holding at this dose and so confused as to what to do as like most things in life we want to feel we are doing something to improve the situation we are in. Is it just to hold so that the brain and body can heal more before dropping or am I just aggravating everything. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue   

• Moderator Emeritus

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.

I'm glad I made you giggle.  If hubby is good at it, have you considered hiring him out so that others can have a break from their symptoms too?

6 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

I've asked the other mods for their assistance.

I'm glad I made you giggle.  If hubby is good at it, have you considered hiring him out so that others can have a break from their symptoms too?

He is a hero in so many ways and so understanding but like everyone patience wears thin at times and he can’t cook!  Other than that I’m sure he could lift a few spirits. 

• Administrator

Hi, Scorpio. Are you still measuring Cipralex by the drop or are you using a more calibrated oral syringe?

Did you ever take Prozac or Celexa? If so, what was your reaction?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

35 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Hi, Scorpio. Are you still measuring Cipralex by the drop or are you using a more calibrated oral syringe?

Did you ever take Prozac or Celexa? If so, what was your reaction?

Hi alto 

i am still using the drop from the applicator. It’s the way I always measured the dose. I have got syringes in for when I start to reduce. 

I havent ever taken prozac or celexa. 

• Administrator

It's looking like you and Cipralex never got along and you still don't get along with it.

Celexa is citalopram. From your signature, you have taken it before. Did the rash occur while you were taking 20mg citalopram in 2014 but BEFORE you went on Lyrica?

It may be time to consider substituting ("bridging") with Celexa liquid or Prozac liquid to go off Cipralex.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

13 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

It's looking like you and Cipralex never got along and you still don't get along with it.

Celexa is citalopram. From your signature, you have taken it before. Did the rash occur while you were taking 20mg citalopram in 2014 but BEFORE you went on Lyrica?

It may be time to consider substituting ("bridging") with Celexa liquid or Prozac liquid to go off Cipralex.

Hello alto

the citaloprom stopped working and I had two weeks of feeling dreadful panic attacks, dizziness then felt normal. That lasted for 6 weeks then developed rash, cramp, weight loss, diarrhoea and slight anxiety which doctor put me on lyrica for. I was on it two months approx but it didn’t stop these symptoms so stopped in then went into worse anxiety   Tried various ad’s but had bad reactions to them then put on cipralex which gave me a terrible time but psychotherapist convinced me to stay with it. 

It was two years ago when trying to find out what was wrong with me endocrinologist found I had become allergic to my steroid inhaler. Stopped using it and rash cramp diarrhoea weight loss stopped. I had no knowledge of withdrawal so did not realise the pooping out of citaloprom had caused me becoming sensitive to so many drugs. 

I only found this site after stopping taking the cipralex on a doctors advice and then plunging into withdrawal which is when I realised I had probably been in withdrawal from citaloprom and then again with cipralex. 

• Administrator

Thanks for the clarification about the allergic reaction.

Since citalopram and escitalopram (Cipralex) are so closely related, I might consider The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Since you are taking only 1mg Cipralex, I might cross-taper with 0.5mg Prozac up to 1mg Prozac. Cipralex is several times stronger than Prozac, you can see if 1mg Prozac is sufficient and increase it if necessary.

15 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Thanks for the clarification about the allergic reaction.

Since citalopram and escitalopram (Cipralex) are so closely related, I might consider The Prozac switch or "bridging" with Prozac

Since you are taking only 1mg Cipralex, I might cross-taper with 0.5mg Prozac up to 1mg Prozac. Cipralex is several times stronger than Prozac, you can see if 1mg Prozac is sufficient and increase it if necessary.

Thank you alto. I must admit it’s a scary thing to do as sensitive to all drugs but have an appointment with my doctor on 14 January so will see if he is willing to prescribe Prozac. He is not a sympathetic doctor I have yet to find one in my surgery but will print the info you have linked me to. 

• Administrator

Usually they are delighted to prescribe more antidepressants. Might be best to tell him you want to titrate up on liquid Prozac and leave off the bridging explanation, that probably confuses him.

7 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Usually they are delighted to prescribe more antidepressants. Might be best to tell him you want to titrate up on liquid Prozac and leave off the bridging explanation, that probably confuses him.

Thank you alto for your help. I assume you think is the better and safer option than reducing the cipralex slowly. 

• Administrator

It doesn't seem like holding or reducing Cipralex is getting you anywhere.

When you get liquid Prozac (or 5mg capsules with which to make a liquid), I would cross-taper by adding 0.5mg Prozac initially and after 4 days, cut Cipralex by 1/3.

Please keep notes throughout this process and let us know how you're doing.

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find it helpful to write a script and rehearse what you are going to say.  Be calm, gentle but assertive.  You are the customer, it is your body.  Use words like I'd like to try this.  If suggestion made that you don't want to follow, say I'd like to think about it before making a decision.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?

What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

• 5 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

How are you doing Scorpio?

Hello chessiecat

pretty awful at the moment I’m sorry to say. The anxiety has me by the throat and for the time being is unrelenting. Unfortunately the dreaded children’s bugs have caught me and injury have all joined together to knock the w/d badly. Every time I think I am getting some balance and can commence a slow reduction of this dratted 1mg of cipralex another bug or another bites me and knocks me down 

when feeling well I start to also feel stronger in myself and a lot more optimistic that w/d is improving then something else comes along and knocks me down again. The w/d symptoms centre mainly round fatigue, anxiety, tinnitus, crying, si, nausea, burning face in waking but I have had lot better days even weeks where all symptoms go virtually.  The one thing that seems to have improved after all this time is bowel movements so no longer experiencing diarrhoea every morning which for me is a huge improvement but no weight gain yet. 

‘’Thank you for asking and sorry to land you with all of my moaning. Hope life is good for you. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that things aren't good but pleased that you have had at least 1 improvement.  It may not seem like much but it is better than 0.

And 1mg is much better than 2mg.

Hi chessie

thank you for the positive side of things only twenty or so to go and hopefully the next one will come along soon. After nearly two years it seems forever of struggling. As soon as I can I want to get off this miserable drug but don’t want to rock the very unsteady boat. 

Hello my lovely friend - I am so sorry you keep getting knocked down with all of these illnesses which then undoubtedly effect withdrawal.  But there are some really great positives in  your update:

5 hours ago, Scorpio said:

when feeling well I start to also feel stronger in myself and a lot more optimistic that w/d is improving

and

5 hours ago, Scorpio said:

I have had lot better days even weeks where all symptoms go virtually

Those are all great signs of things to come, Scorpio.  You are going to get there!

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg

Hey my friend,

I am as always sorry for your calamities but glad to see you are still out there.  I am sure Jude is shaving by now.  I am thinking of you and sending you love.

take care,

JS11

26 years of Anti-depressants (probably 32, lost track, alone and/in combination Vyvanse 30mg Discontinued Feb. 22, 2013 Topamax  25-75mg Feb 23, 2013--Feb 2016 0.0 mg Discontinued  Lamotrigine 25-50mg Jan 15, 2016-Adverse Reaction Discontinued Feb 2, 2016 T3 25-50mcg Feb.11, 2016  Discontinued April 23, 2016

Escitalopram 20mg-omg fast taper Nov. 2015-Jan.7, 2016 Crash! Reinstated 20mg  Taper Jan 14, 2016  0.0mg Sept 2016 Reinstated Feb.21, 2017 Escitalopram  5mg Dosage Adjustments  Escitalopram to 2.5mg June 28-30; Increased to 3.75mg July 1-28, 2017    July 29-Aug 4 10mg, alternated between 5 and 10mg next couple days.  Aug 9, 7.25mg;  Aug 10-14 10mg; Aug 15-25 7.25mg, August 25-29, 10mg.   

Levofloxacin (January 2017 2 doses) (Adverse Reaction: Neurotoxcity; 3 daysE.R.$30k+tests)

Adderall 25mgXR (start April 23, 2013) (Nov.2016 20mg) (Dec.2016 15mg) (Feb. 5, 2016 10mg) (June 15, 2017) 5mg XR 

Crossover July 7 to Adderall I.M 5mg Discontinued  Reinstated Adderall 5mgXR  July 28th 

Minipress 1mg began July 20-23, 2mg July 24 last dose Discontinued  (Prescribed to assist with side-effects of updose of Escitalopram) WellbutrinXR 150 mg July 24, 2017 Discontinued;  Hydroxyline 25-200 mg daily, began July 20, Discontnued; (Prescribed for side-effects-sensitized; W/D)Gababentin 100mg August 28, 8/29: 00mg, 8/30/17 100mg discontinued (Prescribed for side-effects of sensitized, W//D)Zolipidem PRN (2.5mg.) Reinstated May 15, 2017 after18m+ discontinuation Between May and  Aug18-Aug 30, 2017 Discontinued

Aug. 30. 2017 Escitalopram 8.2mg, Sept. 6 Ecitalopram (7.25 tablet) September 28 Escitalopram   (7 mg tablet)   Omega 3's , October 1 Escitalopram (6.25...I think)  November 1, Escitalopram (approx. 5.75mg) December 1 (5mg)  Missed .75 for few days, lowered dose.  W/D ramped up Dec.23;  Escitalopram 4mg tab. .75ml liquid March 5.  Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg  March 23 Escitalopram 4mg tab .50ml liquid.April 23 Escotalopram 4mgtab .25ml liquid Escitalopram dropping .25 every 30 days; July 23, 2018 Escitalopram 3.50mg, Adderall XR 5mg, Synthroid 112mcg 

July 2021:  Took last dose of Escitalopram .02mg.  Do dah!

Current:   Synthroid/Generic 100mcg decreased November, 2018  (TSH has changed 5 times since August 30, 2018 resulting in both Hyper and hypothyroid symptoms.)  November 1, 2018, increased Adderall XR to 10mg to combat brain fog after decrease in Synthroid.

Hi wantrelief

what would I do without your continual support and friendship. Thank you, again. 

• 3 years later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Scorpio, how are you?