SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

sselvage22: Paxil withdrawal fail

sselvage22

Hello!  I was given a suggestion to come to this site.  I am in the middle of a mess.  I was on Paxil for 15 years, never more than 40, mainly 20.  About 4 months ago, I started to taper because I wanted off medications.  I don't like taking medicine.  I took it for severe anxiety issues and thought I was better.  I tapered and was off it for 6 weeks.  I thought I was doing great.  Brain swooshes were gone, flashing lights were gone.  Last week I started getting up tight and thought I had a UTI.  Went to see the doctor and she seemed to think it was withdrawal, even after 6 weeks.  I was not sure, but thought she might be right.  She suggested Celexa.  I started it on Friday night and by Saturday, I was a raving mess.  Nausea, diarrhea, "doom cloud", just horrible.  Got thru Sunday and yesterday I decided to take 10 mg of Paxil, thinking getting back on it is better and feeling better is what I need to do.  Yesterday was horrible.  Last night was bad.  Today is bad.  I took another 10 mg this morning, hoping for relief.  I know it won't happen immediately, but I did this once before and was off 2 weeks and got back on.  Maybe I waited too long to get back on, I don't know.  I just know feeling like this is horrible.  I'm going back to doctor this morning in the hopes of help.  Any input would be appreciated.  I know I have anxiety issues, I have had them all my life, but I thought at this stage of life ... good job, good life ... I could do without medication.  I'm obviously mistaken.

Edited by mammaP
Added name to title

Susan R. Selvage, Ferrum, Va.

Started about 17 years ago.  Been up and down, with highest at 40 but seem to settle in at 20.

Have tried many times to come off but this time I made it 6 weeks then crashed.  Trying to get

back to being somewhat able to function.  Last 3 days were brutal, but I'm back to 20 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi sselvage, welcome to SA. Your doctor is right you are suffering from withdrawal and it is actually good to see a doctor that recognises it, most believe it is a relapse of anxiety/depression. After a few weeks off a drug people become sensitive to it and can no longer tolerate high doses. We normally recommend a very low dose, you might be better to take 1mg of paxil to try and stabilise. Small doses are often very successful among our members. It will take a while to feel better but hopefully not too long. The dose needs to be consistent. It takes around 4 days to reach a steady level in the blood. Right now the dose is very high for reinstatement so will take time to settle again. 

You are not feeling this way because you need the drug to control your anxiety, it is because you are in withdrawal. When you have stabilised you can start a slow taper off that small dose. I will post some links and you will find out how you can get that small dose. 

We ask all our members to fill in their signature, you can find how to do that here... 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

What is withdrawal?

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

About reinstating

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

Tapering paxil

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/405-tips-for-tapering-off-paxil-paroxetine/

Many of us find that fish oil and magnesium help with withdrawal symptoms.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/?view=findpost&p=100596&hl=magnesium

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Similar to my story. Stabilize your reinstatement and then slowly taper it off. Going to zero might take years, but as you have already experienced quality also counts.

Took my first SSRI sipralexa/lexapro/escitalopram in 2007 for depression. In 2010 the doctor switched me to paroxetine/seroxat/paxil for anxiety.

My paroxetine story from then on:

2010-15 from 10mg up to 20mg

jan 2016 30mg

may 2016 0mg cold turkey (don't!)

dec 2016 symptoms: anxiety, tremor (could barely stand)

jan 2017 reinstated at 7.5mg to taper in steps of 10%

Dose changes from may 2017 to now: 

5.0/4.7/4.4/4.0/3.7/3.5/3.3/3.1mg

I took 10 mg this morning at 7.  When I got back from doctor, I took the other 10 (had been on 20 before taper) and an anti=nausea drug.  Slept for about 1.5 hours, and I feel 100% better.  I will try again.  I will do it correctly this time.  I thought after 6 weeks I'd be OK, I was obviously wrong.  So, I'm back to 20 mg, at least for now.  Thank you for the support.

Started about 17 years ago.  Been up and down, with highest at 40 but seem to settle in at 20.

Have tried many times to come off but this time I made it 6 weeks then crashed.  Trying to get

back to being somewhat able to function.  Last 3 days were brutal, but I'm back to 20 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

Be careful with 20mg, lots of people have reactions to the same dose they took before quitting. I would try 10 for a while, it is less to taper from if you settle on it. Is the nausea from the reinstatement?

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

I believe the nausea if from not eating.  I did eat something earlier and slept an hour and am feeling better.  I am going to try and stay at 10.  The doctor suggested that and gave me something for nausea.   Thank you for the support.

Yes stay at 10. I stopped at 30 and reinstated at 7.5.

Took my first SSRI sipralexa/lexapro/escitalopram in 2007 for depression. In 2010 the doctor switched me to paroxetine/seroxat/paxil for anxiety.

My paroxetine story from then on:

2010-15 from 10mg up to 20mg

jan 2016 30mg

may 2016 0mg cold turkey (don't!)

dec 2016 symptoms: anxiety, tremor (could barely stand)

jan 2017 reinstated at 7.5mg to taper in steps of 10%

Dose changes from may 2017 to now: 

5.0/4.7/4.4/4.0/3.7/3.5/3.3/3.1mg

Thank you.  I am still having some issues but at least I can function.  I was not functioning Monday at all.  Just too frightening  to deal with.  My own stupidity.  Maybe  next time...