SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

Altostrata

2 hours ago, Spruce30 said:

The PSSD is really bad for me today. I feel really depressed about it.

I have lost so many years to this condition, and feel if I ever do recover, a lot of things will be too late anyhow.

Web head 21, do you really think PSSD is something we should always be ashamed to talk about?

I don't know if I can keep what happened to me to myself for the rest of my life. I want to eventually tell my story, but worry I will always be labelled as the "guy with the sexual problems".

People are hateful and will take any angle to get one over on you, so PSSD is perfect tool someone can use to lower you.  I don't want to tell people because I thinks its like separating myself from my friends or people i meet and form relationships.  They are going to wonder why im not dating or looking to date.  It's only a matter of time im going to seperate myself from them to start a new life with this condition.  I feel robbed from a great life I could have had.  Im very much destroyed from this, but I working on that.  I don't know were or how I can live a life of solitude from this point on. I was always scared of it now it's my reality.  Now I have to ignore that in hopes of it helping my recovery.  The message we are told by wise people is that life is about relationship and to share your life with someone and now i can't do that in my later years, or at least it's going to be hard to do.  im at a lost in my life.  Maybe I could say im asexual and not advertise im broken.  If there a support group i could go to I would tell my story and share everything and work on getting pass it.  Everything in my life is a pile of **** and everyone i know see that, so im not going to put the Cherry on top with my pssd just yet.  My muscles are also ruined and i have cognitive issues that are resolving, just not with all the stress.  I think a hail mary pass to not worrying and start living like I dont have it, without the mountain load of stress to a good enough shoot as any.  If that doesn't work that I can rotate to taking it one day at a time.  

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

Been suffering exactly the same as all of you. 

3 years since I took citalopram/sertraline for a week each and I’ve been impotent ever since, can’t maintain an erection and barely achieve one. Never had an issue before this. 

Ssris destroyed me.

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

It is a crime they are allowed in any case. Benefits mostly placebo and risks very large even if the worst only hit a small proportion. We are thousands maybe millions with destroyed lives. 

1 minute ago, Zeipii said:

It is a crime they are allowed in any case. Benefits mostly placebo and risks very large even if the worst only hit a small proportion. We are thousands maybe millions with destroyed lives. 

and unfortunately there are not really more than a handful of trustworthy success stories out of these thousands of people in the forums. This is a fact, not any excess negativity. 

I’m genuinely at a loss as to what to do.

cant sue doctors for not warning me of the effects, even then you’re told the effects wear off after discontinuation (which they don’t) in only 25 and I can’t have a relationship due to this. 

How ow am I suppose to live my life? 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

MOD NOTE:  New topic merged with existing topic

Hi all, 

Just interested in anyone that’s suffering from PSSD really? 

Wanted to start this up as a support network for all those effected to discuss our symptoms and help one another through such a daunting and lonely experience. 

I myself have been impotent ever since taking an SSRI for a week, and it’s made relationships practically impossible! 

Id never suffered this before taking the drugs, yet doctors have not believed me at all...

Edited by ChessieCat
mod note

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

Do you have loss of feelings /anhedonia too? Or genital /skin numbness? Anhedonia makes things even worse because nothing feels good and you are basically stuck in a hell on earth by definition. 

I wouldn’t say anhedonia but definitely have genital numbness, pretty much just feels like a piece of rubber.

This is basically the worst thing imaginable.

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

The whole psychiatry and pharma industry are simply full of dangerous lies, and in my opinion the 'meds' are poisons, that really ruin peoples lives. Even the worst conditions can be healed with time without meds. This is what the pdocs do not admit, neither do they admit things like pssd. It is very striking how they use the same phrases to cover their own asses all over the world. One of them being that persistent sexual dysfunction is part of depression. Hell yeah....

2 minutes ago, Gavalar09 said:

I wouldn’t say anhedonia but definitely have genital numbness, pretty much just feels like a piece of rubber.

This is basically the worst thing imaginable.

really sorry that you are one of us too. Can you say again how long now? Any other post ssri symptoms such as insomnia? Any changes or better moments during your symptoms? 

I’ve been impotent now for 3 years. 

There have been one where I’ve had weak morning wood, and at times have managed to have intercourse but I’ve failed about 4/5 times and February and haven’t been able to get a satisfactory erection in the last 4 months so things have I’m fact gotten worse.

I eat healthy, rarely drink, have had every possible physical test done, I exercise regularly, nothing has made it better. 

I feel id be better off not here to be honest....

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

Just have little to no libido, have been like this for years.

Probably situational as well as the SSRI.

"Beam me up Scotty"??

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

• Mentor

This might make for interesting reading for those suffering. Be forewarned that it is positive in nature.

https://pssdlab.wordpress.com/success-stories/

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

And if you can heal brain damage (which pssd is in one way or the other) by for example doing some yoga as in one of the stories, I really think it has not been pssd from the start. Also reinstating ssris after long suffering from pssd just to taper slowly also seems the craziest thing to do. As some alteration=damage has happened in the brain by these poisons, restarting them will not revert the damage. 

Maybe some people and hopefully all can heal, but having done 14 months of most excessive study from all angles unfortunately tells me that the number of found success stories is clearly less than 1/100. Also more and more I am personallystarting to see pssd and other long term ssri damages a result of genetic expression change in the brain. It means the brain has no more the original genetic homeostasis 'recipe' to return to.  I know the policy here is to keep up the hope, which I also still try my best everyday. In any case I am bedridden for long by all the damage that the antidepressants have done to me. Sexual dysfunction is one of them. For me even much worse is total anhedonia and amotivation, which make living impossible. There is a full right for being analytical and realistic based on a massive amount of information that one can find. We all have a right to form a personal view to this hell. 

It is known that chemicals in general can cause epigenetic changes. Chemicals entering the brain blood barrier (psychoactive chemicals including antidepressants) may cause such changes in people to smaller or larger extent. The result could be for instance muted receptors or changed neurotransmitter generation. The problem being, that this may be permanent because of the wrong expression copied to new cells as well. 

Completely agree with you Zeipii, how can I be hopeful after being impotent for the last 3 years? I’m afraid to tell my current love interest because like every other girl before has I am afraid she will leave me.

im a sex crazed world I have been left a mess due to this chemically castrating drug! How can I not give up hope when 3 years of my youth have already been stolen from me? 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

What are your symptoms Zepeii and how long have you been suffering? 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

regarding pssd: loss of libido, genital numbness, no orgasm, some erection. 14 - 15 mths. All started from drugs that are marketed safe, agomelatine and bupropion. 

Sorry to hear. How long were you on the drugs for?

When you say some erection, what do you mean? 

Do you get morning wood still? 

Sorry if they’re a bit personal

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

on the meds only for 3 mths agomelatine and bupropion just 2 weeks. No morning wood erection sometimes with strong stimuli. But genitals almost totally numb. 

Sorry to hear. 

I hate that this is an actual thing! 

How can it be real! 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

I feel everything that you guys feel.  I have felt incredibly angry these past couple of days.  I am only coming up to 18 months off.  Sometimes I struggle to know how to carry on.

But on a positive note, I have spoken with somebody online who knows of over 30 people that have recovered from PSSD.  And, the majority of those did not come back to post about it online.  I think a key point is to recognise that a) not everybody who has PSSD talks about it online in the first place, and b) many people (and probably most) as they start to get better, don't want to remain on the forum(s) which remind them of the hell they have been through.  I reckon there are loads of people out there that have recovered.

We have to keep going. 

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

I understand what you are saying 1day, I really do, but for some of us the damage is permanent. Not seeing any improvements in 3 years is completely disheartening and looking online so many people have had to live with this for 5-10 years+. 

I completely envy those those that have managed to recover because for me, a once normal guy with an high libido, I am completely beaten to this condition.

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

Yeah I know your feeling.  I feel desperate too.  But also, I have heard of people who have recovered not seeing any improvement until 4th or 5th year off.  I have also heard of somebody with no improvement until 11th year and then quickly recovered from there.  Also a lot of people on some forums are throwing everything into their body in an attempt to fix PSSD.  We don't know the effects of this.  Also, some people say I have had PSSD for 10 years, but then when you read the story you see they have actually only been off the SSRI for a few years.  I know this is not all the cases, but it is for some.    You can't give up - too many people have recovered to give up.  But I know it is so hard.   

Are you on any medications now, or taking anything at all? 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

Hi 1day, 

I know what you’re saying but after all this time I’m afraid I just don’t have any hope with this.

I haven’t taken anything since May 2015, so just over 3 years now. How can 2 weeks of something cause such a drastic change? 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

1day, please let people feel the way they feel. On another note, you maybe do not have anhedonia (?) which actually is the real hell even compared to pssd. If nothing gives you any pleasure any more, you are living in hell by definition. 

1day, it would be great if you could give us all some more detail about these 30 people you mention. Mainly, how did they eventually recover? Just all of a sudden, over time etc.? 

The other point I have made also earlier is that most likely every person recovering after long suffering will make even a short success note, if having been on any forum for long - just to give others hope. Among hundreds we dot see these unfortunately. This is not negativity, but realism. 

Hi Gavalar09,

I am afraid I don't know.  I think it is a case that some people have very bad reactions to the drug and their nervous system etc. is completley disregulated.

Zeipii, I am not stopping anybody from feeling anything.  And yes I do have anhedonia and I lost a beautiful girlfriend due to my inability to feel emotion.  So I know what it is like - everyday.  All I am saying is there are people out there who felt how we felt at 1 year, 3 years, 5 years off etc. and who went on to recover.  All I am saying is, there is genuine hope.  So don't give up.  You can give up if you want to.  All I am saying is I think there is enough hope to keep going.   

Join the Facebook Group.  I think he is on there. 

Most of then took at least 2 years.  I don't know the longest.  I only had short message with him.  But I think Spruce has had longer chat with him.

The question is: did they just quickly recover after those 2 years or gradually over that time. I have asked also before that it would be great to get most accurate aninymoys case information. So if Spruce has it, please publish it. That kind if information has real value, not just guessworking how the cases went. 

There are a lot of sufferers that never even come to the forums. Most likely they have the same very small probability to recover. Also, there are a lot of people that never came back to the forums for years even if they never recovered. This has been proven eg. in this forum by a query made by one of our co-suffering members. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy