PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

Altostrata

There are 1000’s of us going through this and looking at forums not a lot of us who experience this for several years recover fully if at all. 

I know for me, there are days where I just barely manage and erection, but for the past 4 months, I’ve failed many times to get an erection and don’t have any morning wood. SSRIs definitely castrated me 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, Zeipii said:

on the meds only for 3 mths agomelatine and bupropion just 2 weeks

Hi Zeipii, please complete your drug signature so that members will be able to see your drug history at a glance.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Hey I read that SSRI's are used to chemically castrat Sex offenders in prison 

https://antidepressantsandsexualdysfunction.wordpress.com/tag/chemical-castration/

Started escitalopram 10mg in March 2014,then reduced to 5mg....quit it in September 2016 CT...Had a withdrawal, was put again on 10mg one month later....

Again was reduced to 5mg then I Quit it again in December 2017 CT.... Started Having Withdrawals Since Feb 2018...

Doc reinstated me on 10mg of escitalopram on May 26 had a aDverse reaction...Stopped reinstatement

Still Off Meds

Now taking :

Omega 3

On 6/27/2018 at 3:36 AM, Gavalar09 said:

There are 1000’s of us going through this and looking at forums not a lot of us who experience this for several years recover fully if at all. 

I know for me, there are days where I just barely manage and erection, but for the past 4 months, I’ve failed many times to get an erection and don’t have any morning wood. SSRIs definitely castrated me 

I can totally understand your situation.... Did you loose your libido while on SSRI or after discontinuing it

Started escitalopram 10mg in March 2014,then reduced to 5mg....quit it in September 2016 CT...Had a withdrawal, was put again on 10mg one month later....

Again was reduced to 5mg then I Quit it again in December 2017 CT.... Started Having Withdrawals Since Feb 2018...

Doc reinstated me on 10mg of escitalopram on May 26 had a aDverse reaction...Stopped reinstatement

Still Off Meds

Now taking :

Omega 3

Is it possible to get Pssd symptom after 6 months in withdrawal 

Still Off Meds

Now taking :

Omega 3

Hi all, 

suppose ive just experience a huge window of improvement where in the last few days I experienced arousal but I could also see improvements sexually too, where my impotence seemed a lot less. 

It feels like I’m back to square one this morning again but for almost 5 days I’ve felt ‘normal’. Surely it means I can get that feeling back at some point? Just nice to see things working to be honest 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

How long have you been off SSRI's Gavalar09?

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

Hi Spruce, 

Its been just over 3 years now 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

Same here, it's been just over 3 years since I have been off everything. Do you feel you have made much progress in those 3 years?

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

6 hours ago, Spruce30 said:

Same here, it's been just over 3 years since I have been off everything. Do you feel you have made much progress in those 3 years?

At times I do, there are times where I can get an erection but it’s forced if that makes sense? My libido is definitely different to what it was before. I seem to have good and bad days but my function has not returned 100%

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

On 1/12/2018 at 5:12 AM, BlueLeader said:

Update, going into my fifth year having PSSD. I have recovered a bit, still no where near 100% but vastly better than I was when I first was afflicted with PSSD. 

The thing that helped me the most physically and mentally was lifting weights and cardio exercise. I have begun to experience some more windows of feeling, function, and some waves of feeling and function (the best).

Don't get me wrong, still have all the host of PSSD symptoms and then some, but have noticed slight improvement. 

Will I ever fully recover?  I don't know but I will continue on the journey.

Like your attitude, yourre on the right path. It will happen man. 

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

29 minutes ago, Gavalar09 said:

At times I do, there are times where I can get an erection but it’s forced if that makes sense? My libido is definitely different to what it was before. I seem to have good and bad days but my function has not returned 100%

Havent read full thread but writing this anyways. IF you havent tried running splits 3 times/weeks I advise  you to try it. Try for one month and see. Its can be fun too but start slow. 

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

Running splits? What are those and How do they help? 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

Sorry for my english. Think the Word may be interval training (HIT).  It will increase /regenerate things that helps your hormones (growt hormones, testo etc)  and overall better blood flow. 

Interval training is a little bit tricky to start with since many think its boring and forced. But its not when you learn how to do it. 

Ah yes! I already do a lot of HIT training, I keep a healthy diet and workout as much as I can. 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

Galvanar09 I get what you are saying. I have seen small improvements in 3 years, but nothing major. 

I feel my libido and overall PSSD has gone from about 5% of how I used to be pre PSSD, to about 12% of how I used to be pre PSSD. So not much.

How much would you say your PSSD has improved in the last 3 years using percentages?

Also Galvanar09 have you reported your PSSD to Rxisk?

I’d say by about 10-20% depending on certain scenarios.

It does make things difficult with relationships though, especially when I struggle to get and maintain and erection. 

Some days are loads better and I feel normal but some days it’s completely dead. 

It makes condom use impossible and sometimes without condoms it’s very hit and miss. 

I have reported to Rxisk

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

Hi. I’m not sure if I’m intruding or not. I am not suffering from PSSD, but my gf has been since being on an AD for about 6 months on 2012. Her libido is completely gone. We have sex a handful of times a year, and when we do I feel like she’s completely disinterested and she never achieves orgasm. I/we are just looking for some answers, treatment, hope. 

• Administrator

Hello, your girlfriend is experiencing a very common side effect of antidepressants: Sexual dysfunction.

Antidepressants are much more effective at eliminating sexual interest and response than they are at reversing depression. Please consult Dr. Google and read up on antidepressant-induced sexual dysfunction.

This is not post-SSRI sexual dysfunction, which occurs when you go off the antidepressant.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Administrator

She may be suffering from PSSD. It would be more helpful if she registered here. It's hard to discuss this with a third party.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hi theboyfriend, 

Has she shown any improvements since coming off them at all? 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

To "the boyfriend",

It sounds like she is suffering from PSSD. It would be helpful if she could report it to Rxisk, as they are collecting reports to try and get the medical establishment to take it seriously. All reports are treated confidentially.

Hey everyone. I am here to inform you that Dark0047 has passed away by suicide. He couldn’t take PSSD anymore. I was his close friend and am in shock. He told me to post to the forums if it happened to help the pssd community. So here I go. Please pray for him and remember him.

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.

Just to let everyone know I have some sad news. 

Dark0047 who had PSSD and was a member of the PSSD Facebook group took his own life a few days ago.

He told a number of people just before taking his own life, that he couldn't deal with living with PSSD anymore.

I feel so bad for him; he was only 23. 

Please people stay safe. There is hope we can all recover from PSSD with enough time. Let's remember Dark0047 by being determined to stay the course and recover from PSSD.

Edited by ChessieCat
masked name for privacy

• Administrator

Thank you, Potions and Spruce. This is a terrible tragedy. We are all stunned.

Please do not let your grief over PSSD take over your thinking. Recovery can be very, very slow and frustrating, to be sure, but there are ways you can grow and get on with your life despite this.

Very sad to hear. I think pressure from society create most interna pressure besides huge pressure from the pssd itself. Questions like "where is you gf/ did you get any last weekend etc" can be very hurtful if yourre in this position. As written before it, try to expand life with new things. And try to tell some close People about your pssd it will help you carry this. 

Even with pssd, taking a swim in pool is still fun. Sure you cant do it all the time but maybe you can find more things like that and in the future when pssd is better you will have a more rich life. 

Know its hard though .. Suicide is not the answer especially not when young. 

We will not forget him. And like Spruce said, we continue this fight in his name. It is terrible what has happened. 

But I would also like to say this: every person, whether it be doctors, people working for drug companies, government health regulatory authorities etc. that know about the dangers of these drugs and have kept quiet about it, today have blood on their hands.  I, and am sure many others on this site, hold them responsible. 

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

Okay so this is the thing, my sexual functions were normal during withdrawal....I think when i reinstated to a high dose of 10 mg my libido has gone low, I don't get morning erections....Is it possible that the high dose of reinstatement affected my sexual functions 

Still Off Meds

Now taking :

Omega 3

4 hours ago, Anubhav said:

Okay so this is the thing, my sexual functions were normal during withdrawal....I think when i reinstated to a high dose of 10 mg my libido has gone low, I don't get morning erections....Is it possible that the high dose of reinstatement affected my sexual functions 

Yes.  Every time you go on/off these drugs you risk a different reaction. 

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

3 hours ago, 1Day said:

Yes.  Every time you go on/off these drugs you risk a different reaction. 

I hope it gets better.....I did have a adverse reaction to reinstatement....I hate my doc 

Still Off Meds

Now taking :

Omega 3

On 7/27/2018 at 7:27 AM, frasier23 said:

Very sad to hear. I think pressure from society create most interna pressure besides huge pressure from the pssd itself. Questions like "where is you gf/ did you get any last weekend etc" can be very hurtful if yourre in this position. As written before it, try to expand life with new things. And try to tell some close People about your pssd it will help you carry this. 

Even with pssd, taking a swim in pool is still fun. Sure you cant do it all the time but maybe you can find more things like that and in the future when pssd is better you will have a more rich life. 

Know its hard though .. Suicide is not the answer especially not when young. 

Great sentence and relates to all symptoms of withdrawal.

2009-2010 Citalopram 20mg CT no problems

Sertaline 2010- 6monnths

2011- 2017 June 2017- Citalopram 20mg CT

Sad to hear the recent news.

its not surprising people are looking into suicide as a way out. I’m currently in a huge downward spiral regarding impotence and genital numbness due to this. It’s got worse in the last month. My libido is completely dead and I’m practically an asexual. How can you have a relationship without sex? 

Citalopram 2015-2015

Sertraline 2015-2015

1 day is right.

The drug companies and the doctors that turned a blind eye to Dark 0047 suffering, have blood on their hands. They are at a minimum guilty of manslaughter in the case of the drug companies (some would argue murder), and aiding and abetting manslaughter in the case of the doctors who ignore this.

We should keep fighting and not give up until we get PSSD recognised for torturous condition that it is.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello.  I have a general question.  Do men with PSSD generally get morning wood?  Or do men with PSSD not get morning wood, on average?

Serzone (Nefadazone) and Wellbutrin (Buoproprin) for over ten years
Nefazadone Starting Point 150 mg
12/2 135 mg, 12/16 130 mg, 12/21 125 mg, 12/24 120 mg, 1/5 110 mg, 1/26 100 mg, 2/9 90 mg, 3/1 80 mg, 3/22 70 mg, 4/12 60 mg
5/3 50 mg, 5/15 55 mg, 8/15 70 mg, 10/15 90 mg, 11/1/12 100 mg, 10/1/13 90 mg, 10/15/13 85 mg, 10/20/13 90 mg, 3/29/15 16 mg

Buproprin Starting Point 300 mg

5/1/13 270, 5/15/13 240, 6/1/13 230, 6/15/13 200, 7/1/13 185, 7/20/13 170, 8/20/13 185, 3/29/15 170

Completely off Serzone: 10/1/17; Completely off Buprioprion 5/21/18

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy