SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

Altostrata

Great idea ghost. I would like to see more recovery stories for PSSD too. I am still suffering from PSSD everyday.

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

PSSD Wikipedia page is back online :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-SSRI_sexual_dysfunction

Anyone with edit suggestions should keep me in the loop. I'm hoping to continue improving it so it won't go back offline. It's important to continue gaining momentum with getting PSSD knowledge spread across the internet.

Escitalopram 5mg 4 days Sept 14'

Adderal 1mg (Very Rarely Taken) (Not since Fall '14)

Trazodone 50mg: 1 week in Sept '14. Few days Dec 14'. 3 days Jan '16.

Experience with: St. John's Wort, Turmeric, Zinc, Inositol, Ginkgo

"I don't want to believe. I want to know" - Carl Sagan

Admin on www.pssdforum.com "Ghost"-----Moderator for PSSD subreddit  "GhostPSSD" (reddit.com/r/PSSD)

My Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9564-gh0sts-escitalopram-wd/

My PSSD Theory: reddit.com/r/PSSD/comments/46b4w1/ghost_pssd_article/

• 3 weeks later...
On 27.3.2017 at 10:43 PM, Futurerecovery said:

German researchers from the city of Ulm are interested in doing an fmri study about PSSD (not Post-SSRI PGAD/premature ejaculation). If you are sure that you have PSSD and if you are interested in taking part, please send an email to sulawesi1@web.de

There are several criteria - just to mention a few: you must be male, the sexual dysfunction appeared for the first time during the treatment and is still present after quitting the medication and you may not suffer from depression, etc.

We are still looking for participants.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I used to take Prozac 10 and Clomipramine 10 for 2 weeks. I stopped them after 2 weeks. Now, it's been 2 months I haven't taken them but still no libido. I am hopeless and so down. I visited too many doctors but they are so uneducated and the only thing they can say is "it should have returned in 3 weeks blah blah". So all I can do is self-treating and hoping that you guys can guide me in this path. Is there any of you who has successfully treated PSSD? Please give me the detail? Or has your libido recovered on it's own? if so, how long did it take? How long did you used to take SSRIs? Please inform me as much detailed as you can. Thank you

• 4 months later...

Hi guys,

I may have a solution for you to try, and I have scientific evidence to show that it may be possible, so please keep reading, and look into it for yourself.

There may be a way for you to control your endocrine, nervous, and hormonal systems, using the power of your mind. This means controlling the serotonin and dopamine and other neurotransmitters that may have been effected by saris or other drugs.

The Wim Hof method was developed by Wim Hof, a man who has 36 world records, including climbing mount everest in shorts. which he claims to have achieved by using his mind to control his physiology. This claim is also proved by science.

The following link is of a study, (from a reputable journal) in which he showed that he and a group of people he taught within 4 days, could control their bodies immune response when injected with an endotoxin. All other people injected with this bacteria had immune responses leading to shivering, vomiting, headaches ect:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

He believes that using his methods of breathing techniques and cold immersion we are able to tap in deeper to our physiology, into our brainstem, and control our systems. And that we are only going back to the way nature meant us to be by doing so. 

This work is on the frontier of science and they are looking into using this method to help depression, ptsd, auto immune diseases. etc. You guys can try to use it to cure PSSD, and at the very least it will benefit you in other ways.

Here is the vice documentary:

Here is the joe rogan interview:

Here is the london real interview:

Hi guys,

I may have a solution for you to try, and I have scientific evidence to show that it may be possible, so please keep reading, and look into it for yourself.

There may be a way for you to control your endocrine, nervous, and hormonal systems, using the power of your mind. This means controlling the serotonin and dopamine and other neurotransmitters that may have been effected by ssris or other drugs.

The Wim Hof method was developed by Wim Hof, a man who has 36 world records, including climbing mount everest in shorts. which he claims to have achieved by using his mind to control his physiology. This claim is also proved by science.

The following link is of a study, (from a reputable journal) in which he showed that he and a group of people he taught within 4 days, could control their bodies immune response when injected with an endotoxin. All other people injected with this bacteria had immune responses leading to shivering, vomiting, headaches ect:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/

He believes that using his methods of breathing techniques and cold immersion we are able to tap in deeper to our physiology, into our brainstem, and control our systems. And that we are only going back to the way nature meant us to be by doing so. 

This work is on the frontier of science and they are looking into using this method to help depression, ptsd, auto immune diseases. etc. You guys can try to use it to cure PSSD, and at the very least it will benefit you in other ways.

Here is the vice documentary:

Here is the joe rogan interview:

Here is the london real interview:

• 1 month later...

Hello. It's been 7 months I came off my meds after having seen such terrible effects they had on me. I took them for 14 days (Clomipramine 10 and Prozac 10). But since then, I have been dealing with withdrawal and what we call PSSD. Now, I have anhedonia, lack of motivation, high anxiety and severe depression. I think, I have been experiencing "windows and waves" when I am much better in windows and terrible in waves. I've seen many doctors. They all suggest me to start taking SSRIs again but I won't do that. I just wanna be the one who I used to be. I wonder how much longer should I wait till I recover from this devastation condition? If you were on such drugs especially the ones I was on, how long did it take for you to recover? And also this is not all. I have developed PSSD as well. Genital anesthesia, erection dysfunction, decreased libido and anorgasmia. I have improved in all of these but I am not close to normal at all. Will I recover from PSSD? What is the pattern of recovery? Is it gradual or it comes with windows and waves?

• Altostrata changed the title to PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction
  • Administrator

Dark, this is our topic about PSSD.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am too suffering from the loss of erection, anorgasmia, libido loss ... 

Its 21 months off all psych. meds... And there is little to no improvement in that aspect... 

If someone has gotten benefit from sth, then please add.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

I am 32 months off all meds and still suffering PSSD. It is easily the worst protracted symptom i have had to endure

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

On 01. 08. 2013. at 1:41 AM, SlimNm said:

Symptoms:

Brain fog

Anhedonia

PSSD

Absent libido

Impossible to find any sense of well being / contentment no matter what I do.

All of these have been massively diminished since starting my licorice root regimen a week or so ago, and my symptoms continue to improve in leaps and bounds.

The only side effect I get from licorice is irritibility whenever I increase the dosage, but this side effect to increased dosages wears off after a couple days.

I recommend anyone who tries this to take only 1 pill for a few days, see how it goes, then if they want, increase by 1 pill per a few days until they hit the recommended dosage as it states on the bottle.

Hi, what have you used od SSRI and for how long? Did you try anything else herbal? Supplements?

On 20. 11. 2013. at 10:56 PM, Altostrata said:

I had sexual dysfunction while taking SSRIs and complete PSSD after I stopped taking Paxil in 2004.

At that time, I was 54 and post-menopausal.

Gradually, sexual sensation did come back. In the last year or so, I would say orgasm is close to normal.

Libido, not so much -- but I am post-menopausal. I believe my age also caused recovery to be slow.

I'm sorry if I ask something you wrote already about, but for how long did you use ssri?

On 16. 06. 2014. at 10:52 PM, elbillingino said:

A few months ago I experienced a couple of hangover days when my symptoms seemed to improve by about 70-80% only to dip back to baseline when the hangover subsided. (Nothing to be proud of, but it I didn't drink, I'd have no social life) It was absolutely amazing. The first time it happened, I didn't connect it with the hangover and thought I'd been cured overnight. I've since learned that 'hangover horn' is quite common (I don't really remember experiencing it with pre SSRI hangovers so had absolutely no idea!)

I've had a couple of hangovers since then, but the 'hangover horn' hasn't repeated itself.

I'm wondering if anyone else with PSSD has experienced this apparently commonplace phenomenon?

Hi! I was wondering did anyone had this and why this happens? Unlike you, every time I'm hangover, I experience symptoms relief and I'm horny 

• Administrator

AmqA, please start a topic for yourself in the Introductions forum so we can get to know you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Update, going into my fifth year having PSSD. I have recovered a bit, still no where near 100% but vastly better than I was when I first was afflicted with PSSD. 

The thing that helped me the most physically and mentally was lifting weights and cardio exercise. I have begun to experience some more windows of feeling, function, and some waves of feeling and function (the best).

Don't get me wrong, still have all the host of PSSD symptoms and then some, but have noticed slight improvement. 

Will I ever fully recover?  I don't know but I will continue on the journey.

Mid 2006-Early 2013  Celexa 40 MG, Xanax .50, Trazadone 50 MG - No problems with side effects

Very fast-few weeks taper in Early 2013 off all medication.

Crashed summer 2013 Went back on all meds same dosage (different brand of Celexa) Sept 2013. 

Sexual Side Effects (which I never had before) begun December 2013.  Off Celexa February 2014.  Xanax remained while Trazadone done in August 2014.

Continue to experience complete PSSD to this day with sadly no signs of improvement yet.

Hi! Your help would be greatly appreciated...We need to get people together to help spread awareness about PSSD. Please fill out this form to speed up this process and share this link to as many people as you can who have PSSD.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSc4NixcXLN_sRV-4jSIWeDAYvQ1V96F-8B0MR8GuDpbjbD3rg/viewform

Thank you so so much

Zoloft 50 mg from April 23, 2015 to August 28th, 2016 (1 year, 4 months).

4 week taper. Last dose on August 28, 2016

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

Currently taking: Melatonin and magnesium every night.

Hi potions. Do you really think this class action might succeed? I am from UK, can i join in?

6 hours ago, Spruce30 said:

Hi potions. Do you really think this class action might succeed? I am from UK, can i join in?

Hi Spruce,  we're just trying to do as much as we can. This is just a start for us. We will do our best. Once we know the answer from our legal counsel, we will let you know. Please fill out info though and share the form to any PSSD sufferers you know of! The more names and real experiences, the better :)

Mianserin 30 mg in an attempt to reverse PSSD from September 6th, 2017–around mid November 2017 after a few week taper. Did not fix PSSD

So you have approached a lawyer about this? Is this correct?

I have done a topic about people with PSSD talking to pharmacists about PSSD to raise awareness about PSSD. Check it out if you can.

I was wondering potions if you could speak to some people with PSSD and try and persuade them to go into their local pharmacies to speak to the pharmacists in there about PSSD. I have spoken to 50 pharmacists about PSSD in the last 2 months, it is surprisingly easy to do.

Hey guys. My friend created a facebook group about PSSD with the intention of brainstorming ways to spread the word about PSSD. Please join the group. Here’s the link to it: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1813492682283042/. Also, we need to figure out how to change the google keywords so "PSSD" comes up easily when one searches "SSRIs". Does anyone know how to do that? Also, for those of you who were asking, I'm currently gathering stories and witnesses right now to present to a lawyer about PSSD, so if you haven't filled out this survey yet: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... g/viewform , please do so. We need as many sufferers involved as we can. So far we have 20 (thank you to everyone who filled it out.)

Please guys, our primary goal right now should be to spread the word about this condition. Talk to pharmacists in your area about PSSD, I'm currently working on a class action lawsuit. Join the facebook group, create instagram profiles about pssd, talk to your friends about PSSD, please. The best thing we can do for ourselves right now is this.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

So I feel like most my symptoms from withdraw have abated, apart from the lingering pssd and some anhedonia.

it will be 3 years in March that I came off lexapro (only tapered 2 weeks). My sexual dysfunction started the day I took lexapro in 2011 and I have never been the same since.

I’m staying hopeful for recovery but I just wanted to know what people did that they think might have improved their symptoms? 

Did you abstain from alcohol completely?

did you meditate?

what were some of the signs you were recovering?

did your sexual dysfunction start from day 1 or only after coming off the meds?

i feel like this is the one part of my life that I’m now longing to return to normal because everything else seems to have fallen back into place including my memory and concentration.

I haven’t recovered but I have hope that I will. I’m 17 months off sertraline after being on it for 16 months and I’ve read quite a few people who say that they recovered in the third year or on the 36th month mark.

Have you experienced windows? I’d say that’s a good sign that you’ll recover eventually. I’ve only had minor windows throughout my withdrawal journey, but for a week or so in both December and January I felt 75-90% back to normal in every way...(libido, sensitivity, emotions, pleasure).  I’m back in a sexual wave now, and I’ve been in it for a couple of weeks, but these windows (even though they’re short), give me considerable hope.

As for the advice, I’d say it’s extremely genetic who recovers from pssd and who doesn’t, as well as who even develops pssd/doesn’t after coming off ssris (to the extent that we did at least.) We are unlucky. My advice to you would be to just wait it out and hope you’ll recover. Have a tub of inositol on hand for the really bad days (this can temporarily reduce symptoms and improve both pssd and anhedonia.)

I wish you the best..

I have always noticed that my PSSD is often at its best in the morning and at its worst in the evening (especially the genital anaesthesia). The improvements often are strongest in the morning, just after waking up.

I have seen very small and temporary improvements in my PSSD when lifting heavy weights.

I am far from recovered. I will have been off all medications for 3 years come May 17 th of 2018. I have seen small improvements that come in a windows and waves pattern. There seems to be no pattern to the windows and waves. It seems very non linear, and at times i have felt i am going backwards.

Overall my PSSD feels slightly better than a year ago, but not by that much.

hello

I have been off since 10/2011 and i must follow a pretty strict lifestyle to remain balanced and feel well: I eat a prima/wahls diet (like paleo--no dairy, grains, moderate legumes, etc), I drink no alcohol ever, no drugs (and very rarely over the counter meds), low sugar, 8 hours a sleep, exercise, and certain nurtients i found essential (like zinc and b6--look into carl pfeiffer), etc. I did have some sexual issues but those are all gone. In fact, i have lots of great sex now and no sexual issues. I do get nervous and that affects my initial performance but you know thats all in the head for me. 

I do feel traumatized still but its subsided over the years. Getting out in nature and LETTING go of the past has been one thing that helped me move beyond the trauma. 

Right now my life is good and believe others can also heal up. I still have bad days which usually only last a few hours or so but life is good. I also have a job i like and more plans for the future.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

If you dont mind me asking, how long did you have the sexual issues for bruno? How long did it take for them to go away after coming off the medication. I am approaching 3 years off and have only seen small improvements in my PSSD.

I am 3 years off and my PSSD still hasn't resolved. I have only had small improvements/ windows. Sometimes i feel it might be permanent and i might be stuck like this forever. Its hard to keep going

5 hours ago, Spruce30 said:

I am 3 years off and my PSSD still hasn't resolved. I have only had small improvements/ windows. Sometimes i feel it might be permanent and i might be stuck like this forever. Its hard to keep going

I agree I’ve only gotten worse with my Pssd and it’s devastating on so many levels.  I’m left with a black hole in my life but I’ll have to adopt I have no choice... although I can tell you stress is a prime factor of my regression but regardless something with my brain, hormones, whatever is altered.  The impact of my Pssd mean so much more than not having sex.  I’ll be alone and I’ll have to learn how to live like that.  I picture myself an old man fighting to remain connected to the world.  There was an old man who died down the road from me and nobody know for days.  I cant help but to think that will be my faith, that’s my future.  Family members saying how  horrible it is to be alone, I’ve not told them about my Pssd, and I feel hopelessness.  I’ve been alone my family is not healthy to be around who I’ll I become in the future to survive.  I’m not like men my age how will some marry off and create family’s.  I will tell you this that I’ll keep fighting but I don’t know will I be actually alive.  

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

How long have you had PSSD web head? How long have you been off SSRI's?

That is my biggest fear too. That my PSSD will never go away, and i will slowly turn into a lonely old man and that will be it.

It is only the PSSD that is left now. Everything else has healed. But this PSSD just wont go?

Have you reported your PSSD to Rxisk web head? They are collecting reports. You can fill out a Rxisk report on the Rxisk website, all reports are treated confidentially.

They are collecting reports on PSSD to try and get the medical establishment to take it seriously.

This PSSD has been the worst experience of my life. 

It has been so bad. It nearly drove me to suicide, and made every day from the age of 22-32 a living hell!

14 hours ago, Spruce30 said:

This PSSD has been the worst experience of my life. 

It has been so bad. It nearly drove me to suicide, and made every day from the age of 22-32 a living hell!

Spruce, I’m wondering: have you seen windows of your pssd subsiding? And you’ve been suffering from PSSD for 8 years right? With no improvements? And you haven’t taken any ADs in the 8 years since you stopped the ssri that gave you PSSD?

Hi everyone,

thanks for all your replies. I’m just going to have to wait it out I think.

im really hoping I recover but if not, I still have moments of pleasurable sex so I haven’t lost feeling completely at least. I also seem to have a strong sex drive but my body just can’t keep up.

I have seen windows yes. I have been off all SSRI 8 years, and Benzodiazepines (and therefore all drugs) nearly 3 years. I feel the benzodiazepines caused some sexual problems too, so I count my real healing from when I got off all drugs. I have been suffering PSSD in total since November 2007, so over 10 years. I hate the condition.

I’m very sorry to hear that. I hope someone will be able to help us soon. This PSSD has been maybe the worst experience of my life (combined with the other post-SSRI issues of course). It seriously makes life absolutely not worth living. I’ve been considering pulling the plug. I’m 19

Hello everybody, 

After discontinuing escitalopram I experienced a light loss of libido and erection. I have been using Ashwagandha for about 3 months ( 5 mg per day) and my erections have definetely improved. Both during intimate moments and morning erections.However,  I have just recently found an arcticle that says that Ashwagandha desensitise 5HT1 serotonin receptors as SSRI's do. I am a bit scared about it since even SSRI at the beginning improved erection. 

Any thoughts?  Has anyone used it?

Edited by ChessieCat
Fixed up last line

Cipralex starts : Mid- May 2013 10mg

Cipralex dose increased: July 2013 20mg

First attempt to quit : December 2013 ( very fast tapering, all happened in 1 month)

I started again cipralex: January 2014 10 mg

Cipralex dose increased: March 2014 20mg

Cipralex discontinuation: Between June and Agust 2014 I discontinued cipralex (about 3 or 3,5 months tapering)

• Moderator Emeritus

I tried Ashwaganda for anxiety but for me it had a paradoxical effect (created rather than reduced anxiety)  If it is working for you and you are tolerating it without problems,  that's great.  Be aware that supplements can work for a while then turn paradoxical, so monitor your reactions.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is the SA discussion about ashwagandha-herb-for-anxiety-stress-and-toxic-overload

This is one member's experience:

On 31/07/2013 at 9:19 PM, GiaK said:

I used to take ashwaganda daily...it's one of many supplements that went south on me...it's now agitating and very unpleasant...just FYI

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy