PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction

Altostrata

I am having a lot of sexual dysfunction and have been for years. I am relived to find out that I do not have PSSD.  Altostrata says that by definition PSSD is sexual dysfunction that persists after one is off of antidepressants. I am still on Effexor 112.5 mg.  I believe that I may be having some sexual side effects but I am trying to figure out if my symptoms are psychological because of ptsd from childhood sexual abuse or if it is side effects from the antidepressant. I think that it could be both. 

1993-2000: Zoloft few months CT, Prozac 1-2 yrs, Ritalin PRN

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2003- 2016: Effexor XR 75 mg to 150 mg., Strattera (2002-2008)

2017: Effexor XR 225 mg. Gabapentin 300 mg. Elavil 25 mg.

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

My symptoms are..,..

lack of genital and nipple sensation (80%) numb

low libido

crying after orgasm and during sex (sad not happy tears)

headache after orgasm

chronic pelvic pain

vaginismus

pelvic floor dysfunction 

2002/2003: Wellbutrin,  Paxil 25mg FT, and Xanax PRN CT (all 3 to 6 months), Adderal 40mg, Strattera 40mg

2018: (Sept.) Effexor XR 187.5 mg, Zoloft 10 mg. (OCT.) FT off Gabapentin (NOV.) FT off Elavil (DEC) FT Effexor to 150 mg.

2019: (JAN.) D/C Zoloft, added Viibryd 10mg (FEB) CT Viibryd, (MAR) Prozac bridge, Effexor xr 112.5mg, (Sept.) Effexor XR 112.5 mg + 0.4 mg (1 bead), (Oct.) Effexor XR 112.5mg, (Dec.28) start 10% taper Effexor XR 101.25 mg, 

2020: (Jan. 25) Effexor XR 91 mg., (Feb. 22) Effexor xr 82 mg., (Mar. 21) 75 mg. 

Supplements:  Vitamin D 5000 IU topical, Probiotic 6 billion CFU, Epsom salt bath 1C 2 to 3 X week, California Poppy 2 droppers, various essential oils 

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21446-superwoman-effexor-taper/page/8/?tab=comments#comment-475779

Does anyone else cry after orgasm or during sex?  Not tears of joy, sad tears. Like you just feel really sad and don’t know why. Is this a side effect of antidepressants?

• Administrator

Please consult Dr. Google. That is a normal reaction to sex for some people. We don't counsel people about it here.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Mentor
7 hours ago, Superwoman said:

I believe that I may be having some sexual side effects but I am trying to figure out if my symptoms are psychological because of ptsd from childhood sexual abuse or if it is side effects from the antidepressant. I think that it could be both. 

I think it could be both as well. If you tapered off medication completely, you would have an answer. I find things to be a combination of factors.

Childhood trauma is no fun. I can say I'm sorry, I know what serious trauma is like. but I don't live your life. So I can only wish you the best.

That trauma, very likely is having a psychological and in turn, a physiological effect. But it's very possible the medication you're taking, is part of your symptoms too.

I've known women who still had a strong libido, normal sensitivity, while on SSRI's, and some women who lost their libido and most of their sensitivity.

The good thing is that usually the side-effects are not permanent.

Also... Ditto on what Altostrata said ^^^

"I've known women..."

I Am Not A Medical Professional! 👨‍⚕️

Prescribed Various SSRI's/SNRI, Benzos and One Anti-Psychotic at 16, in 2009.

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

Sudden stop of Risperidone. After suicide attempt.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

He's saved me more than once.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/post-sex-blues-ptsd-trauma_l_5d07ae83e4b01c6757e79aae

16 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Please consult Dr. Google. That is a normal reaction to sex for some people. We don't counsel people about it here.

I found the above article on google about crying during or after sex. The article says that it can be normal or it can be from trauma.  I was just wondering if this can also be a sexual side effect of antidepressants?  Do other people here experience this?  Or is it purely psychological?  

There are a lot of sexual problems that I have had for years that I attributed to sexual trauma. Now I am questioning if some of these problems might not be psychological from trauma, but rather a side effect of the antidepressants. For example, I had no idea at all that antidepressants can make your genitals feel numb. I just assumed that this must be a psychological effect from the sexual abuse. I thought that maybe I was dissociating during sex. But I also feel numb down there even when I am not having sex, such as when bathing. I don’t think that I am dissociating then.  How can  you tell if a sexual problem is psychological from trauma or if it is physical as a side effect of antidepressants?

The crying during and after sex is very disruptive. It happens a lot. It is very confusing as well because it feels good physically but bad emotionally. My mind and body are not in agreement sometimes.  Sometimes when I am using my vibrator tears are just streaming down my face and physically it feels pleasurable physically but emotionally I feel sad and shame. I feel like there is something wrong with me and my body.  I don’t understand how it can feel both good and bad.  Do you think this is normal?  It is confusing.  It is like things got linked together. Like sex is associated with sadness for me. I don’t want it to be like this.  I want it to feel joyful and ecstatic when I make love with my husband. My husband is so sweet and caring. He just holds me in his arms while I sob. I don’t usually know why I feel sad. It is healing that my husband comforts me. I am lucky he is is so gentle and I love him so much. 

The crying after orgasm was the first sexual problem that I developed. It started when I was a teenager. Before this I never had any sexual problems. It started out as my eyes filling with tears during orgasm. It then progressively worsened to full sobbing for no apparent reason. At the time that this started I did not consciously remember the abuse yet but it was starting to surface as I was waking up with night terrors. I don’t think that I was on any antidepressants at the time but I may have been taking Ritalin or Adderal which I recall effected my libido. 

22 hours ago, Superwoman said:

My symptoms are..,..

lack of genital and nipple sensation (80%) numb

low libido

crying after orgasm and during sex (sad not happy tears)

headache after orgasm

chronic pelvic pain

vaginismus

pelvic floor dysfunction 

Above are my other symptoms. I forgot to add weak muted orgasms to the list and difficulty climaxing.  I also have lack of vaginal lubrications. This has improved a lot since I tapered down the Effexor. I am not sure if it completely back to normal yet since my husband and I have not had sex for months.  Which if any of these do you think are a side effect of Effexor?  The genItal numbing started 15 years ago when the dose of my Effexor was raised from 150 mg to 225mg. Before this I had completely normal sexual function and sensation (except for the crying during orgasm). Even after the dose of Effexor was lowered again to 150mg. the genital sensation never returned to what it was.  I never even correlated this with the change in dose until recently.  At this time I was in a crisis I had just started therapy for the childhood abuse, there was lots of family drama because I revealed it and I had repressed memories surfacing and PTSD. Because of all this I assumed that the sexual dysfunction was psychological and due to the trauma. I had no idea until recently that psych drugs cause genital anesthesia. That is such a bizarre side effect and one no doctor ever warned me about. So now after learning this I am looking back and wondering if some of my symptoms might not in fact be psychological, but might be medication related. What do you think?

• Administrator

In the context of PSSD, you are fortunate in being able to enjoy sex and orgasm. Crying after sex has never been reported as a withdrawal symptom or PSSD symptom.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Interestingly, now that I am off Paxil and Zoloft, I have worse sexual issues.  While moving things around, more SSRI would make me instantly horny - like a hit if cocaine.  When we tried to increase my lexapro to 12.5 from 10, it increased sex drive - but it wasn’t pleasurable.  Perhaps it caused some mania.  Now I feel like I have pssd - although this may just be life on lexapro, Wellbutrin and lithium - and possibly adrenal fatigue.  

Has anyone else ever experienced increased sex drive immediately from an SSRI?

- for 16 years took: morning: lexapro 10 mg, wellbutrin xl 150mg; evening: paxil 2.5 mg, zoloft 25mg

- feb 22:  tried to change and decreased paxil to 1.25 and zoloft to 50 and experienced eurphoria and possible mania, needed less sleep, etc.

- decreased zoloft back to 25 over 2 weeks and decreased paxil to 0

- withdrawal started a few days later and increased paxil back to 1.25 - stabilized but flat after a couple days (eventually got paxil back to 2.5)

- also took levaquin for possible prostatitis

- never really improved and we tried deplin, different formulations of generics and brand names

- Mid June 2019 lost the ability to sleep completely

- 7/1/19 cold turkeyed in hospital off 2.5 paxil and shortly thereafter 25 zoloft, titrated lithium up to 1200 but settled at 900mg

- 8/10/19 tried 12.5 lexapro for 2 weeks with disastrous sensitivities 

- 8/26/19 and currently: morning: 10 mg lexapro, 150 wellbutrin xl; evening: lithium 900 mg (Took klonopin for wknd)
9/20 tapered to 780mg lithium from 900mg - hypomania almost immediately, tinnitus, dizziness, pain, burning, freezing cold

- 9/29 reinstated to 900mg lithium

• 2 weeks later...

2023.01.27 1,6 mg 2023.01.29 1,5 mg 2023.02.27 1,35 mg 2023.03.30 1,2 mg 2023.04.18 1,1 mg 04,26 1,05 mg 2023.01.26 1,05 mg 2023.02.27 .27 .20. .21 0,8 mg 2023.07.14 0,65 mg 2023.08.20 0,45 mg 2023.09.20 0,25 mg 2023.11.14 000000000!!!!!

• 1 month later...

I've been spending rather too much time recently going through all the PSSD threads/forums and working myself up into a bit of a state about it all. I don't think it's particularly helpful at all after a point to continually and obsessively research things.

Nevertheless, on a positive note, it's interesting to search for some of the users that were posting at the very beginning of this thread. Very many of them appear to have posted significant improvements/recoveries. Others have gone completely quiet for many years - and I think it's safe to assume that they're probably doing alright - clearly they're not obsessing and posting in online forums about PSSD, so I'd guess they're doing better too!

Jan-Jun 2018 - citalopram 20mg

Jun-Aug 2018 - relatively quick taper over about 10 weeks

Most notable after-effects anhedonia, PSSD, emotional blunting

How long have you had PSSD Variance?

Have you reported it to Rxisk?

Last took an SSRI January 2009.

Last took a benzodiazepine May 2015.

Free from all prescription medication since May 2015.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2011 at 1:45 PM, strawberry17 said:

Sexual dysfunction was a huge issue for me on SSRI's which is one of the main reasons I was so determined to get off them. I have been lucky in that normal sexual functioning has been restored since I have been tapering.

I took an antidepressant for three days and got bad sex dysfunction. It seemed to be getting better after a week and a half and then got worse. It has now been almost three weeks. I don't know if I have PSSD or not. Do you have any knowledge about this?

Lithium 1989-2007

Seroquel 300mg-900mg(1995-2013) to 800mg to100mg(April 2019): Trazodone 2 weeks 2007   Trileptal May 2019 Took intermittenly until July 2019

Buspar-March 2019 for 4 weeks                                                                                                                   Propranolol 30mg 3X daily withdraw over Oct-Feb to 30mg once a day

Zoloft 100mg-withdrawal(April 2019-October 2019)                                                                                 Trintellex-took for 3 days and got PSSD symptoms-Jan5-8 2020

Withdrew from Seroquel May 2019

On 3/11/2014 at 2:17 AM, techtonicPlatez1122 said:

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share my situation (28/m). I posted a longer version of this in the introductions forum - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5948-post-ssri-sexual-dysfunction-pssd/

First of all, thanks for providing all of this information and for sharing your stories. It feels good knowing there is hope of recovery, and there are others that understand. I really had no idea until I was browsing the wikipedia page on SSRI sexual disfunction that there was even a possibility of the symptoms continuing after treatment ended. I has just assumed it had to work it's way out of my system. 

So, my story. I started taking Citalopram (10mg) January 1st. I thought the side-effects sounded scary, but thought it was worth it because I have been dealing with depression for a long time. About a month into taking Citalopram daily, I started to notice the sexual side effects (unable to achieve orgasm and some genital numbness). So, I stopped taking them cold turkey that day (I know, bad idea). I didn't feel any withdrawal symptoms, but about a month afterward, I became what I can only say was 'blah' for a whole day, and then the following week. I don't know if it is depression or not, but it really bummed me out.

About a week after that blah/depressed episode, I decided to ask my doctor about trying taking Wellbutrin (150), because I read it didn't have the sexual side effects that Citalopram has. I've been on it for about 20 days, but I still don't feel very different. It's been about two months since I stopped taking Citalopram.

I don't know if I have Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction or if I'm just depressed. My girlfriend has a very high libido and I know I used to, which is incredibly frustrating, but right now nothing really excites me that much. I'll get bursts of joy, but they're fleeting moments. When I look at visual stimulation, the kind of stuff that I usually get aroused by, nothing happens. I just tried to masturbate and couldn't even get a hint of an erection. I do still get erections in the morning, but once it goes away it doesn't come back easily.

I've also been taking Propolanolol, and have started tapering off of it in the hopes that it might be affecting my sexual disfunction, but after reading what I have, I don't have much hope that that's the case.

Propranolol DOES affect sex functioning so don't give up hope. It may very well end help your problem.

Lithium 1989-2007

Seroquel 300mg-900mg(1995-2013) to 800mg to100mg(April 2019): Trazodone 2 weeks 2007   Trileptal May 2019 Took intermittenly until July 2019

Buspar-March 2019 for 4 weeks                                                                                                                   Propranolol 30mg 3X daily withdraw over Oct-Feb to 30mg once a day

Zoloft 100mg-withdrawal(April 2019-October 2019)                                                                                 Trintellex-took for 3 days and got PSSD symptoms-Jan5-8 2020

Withdrew from Seroquel May 2019

On 3/21/2019 at 4:18 AM, 1Day said:

I wanted to post a quote which I hope will help people with PSSD feel more hopeful.  It is a quote I found on a website forum from back in 2009.  Although much of the discussion is about potential treatments for PSSD, the quote is from somebody who met a doctor who not only admitted that PSSD exists, but who also said that they have met their fair share of patients with the condition.  The quote backs up what the moderators here say: that recovery usually happens but it takes a long time.  The quote is below and is from the following link:  https://www.remedyspot.com/content/topic/3652447-re-clomide-and-cabergoline-is-working-for-me-now-lets-see-how-long-this-last/ 

"On a side note, my local urologist totally surprised me at my first appointment

seeking a trial of Dostinex. My primary physician referred me to him with a

diagnosis of ED because she was uncomfortable prescribing Dostinex herself.

When I clarified the variety of my sexual symptoms beyond mere erectile

dysfunction and started to explain my history with antidepressants, he

interrupted me and said I didn't need to say anything more. That he already knew

what I was going to tell him.

He knew all about PSSD - it was not something he was skeptical of or which I had

to convince him of - so word is getting out. And for the first time, a physician

told ME that a simple script for Viagra wouldn't solve the problem! I nearly

burst into tears to finally have a professional really hear what I was saying

and validate my condition!

He says he's seen his fair share of patients with sexual dysfunctions that

persist after discontinuing antidepressant medications and that, in his

experience, most recover completely - eventually - but that it does take on the

order of years".

On 3/21/2019 at 4:18 AM, 1Day said:

This post really helped me! 

We don't always hear about all the people who recover because they may not come online to post their success stories. But who to know better about the recovery rate among PSSD sufferers than a urologist who has them as his or her patients.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/feb/04/since-starting-on-antidepressants-i-have-trouble-orgasming

Plenty of commenters who experienced sexual side effects, and most of them reported improvement or reversal of these, eventually. And one or two who haven't (yet.)

It's important to remember that this is a bell curve. Most of us who have found our way here are probably at the unlucky end of it, but at the same time are almost certain to see improvement, or recovery, eventually - just on a longer timescale than we might hope.

Jan-Jun 2018 - citalopram 20mg

Jun-Aug 2018 - relatively quick taper over about 10 weeks

Most notable after-effects anhedonia, PSSD, emotional blunting

Hello SA , first time post here I guess it's time to see what's out there. I suffer from pssd since 2018, it's going on a year and 5 months of complete loss of sexual function. I took a drug called anafranil (75mg) for about 3 months starting experiencing issues probably within 3 days I started feeling genital numbness and loss of libido. I discontinued the meds only to find that within months I started getting worse and have complete anhendoina. I have zero thoughts of sex and can't cilmax. Im young male and it's making me very suicidal and angry. I haven't had a window or improvement in any area in a year. I try to stay off forums and internet reading through story's but I find comfort because I'm lonely and isolated now. I barely leave my house. Reading that this might be a change in my dna is making me paranoid. I'm not sure I have years to wait this out for any improvement. I'm depressed, and very angry about my situation. Not sure what I'm going to get out of this forum other than support of others but my feelings of distress is unbearable at this point. 

Anafranil 75mg July '18 to Nov '18

Stuckinmyhead13, don't give up people do recover from PSSD, but it can take a long time.

Everything has mostly healed apart from PSSD which is still very bad, and is my most distressing symptom. Also i have developed some allergy problems/ sensitivities to things in the environment which i believe was possibly caused by the prescription medications (SSRI's and benzos).

https://www.zestra.com/

I want to report on something that has helped me with antidepressant sexual side effects.  It is called Zestra.  I posted the link above.  It is a natural product that contains a blend of herbs.  You apply it topically to the genital area.  I mentioned it to my naturopathic doctor and she said that the herbs in it are Vasodilators.

It is kind of pricey, $40 to $50, but for me it is worth every penny.  It definitely increases sensation.  It is not a cure. I still lack sensation even when using it, but I feel much more numb without it. It is the only thing that I have found so far that helps with the genital anesthesia.  They have a packet of 3 single use samples that is $12. 

It is designed for women, but I don’t see any reason why men can’t use it too.  My husband used some of mine and he said that it felt a lot better for him too.  FYI, don’t use it with latex condoms b/c oil based products destroy latex condoms.  The non-latex condoms we use are called Skyn.  We have never had an issue using the product with these condoms. 

It may be a safer bet for us hypersensitive people in withdrawal.  A supplement or drug that is ingested has a systematic effect while this effect is localized. The only side effect they mention is that some people can have a burning sensation.  You may want to first try a little on your arm to make sure you don’t have an allergy.  

It is one of the only products for sexual problems that has any research supporting it.  Albeit it is only two studies and probably product funded, but we gotta take what we can get.  The studies are listed on the link.  One is on women with antidepressant sexual side effects.  

If anyone tries the Zestra let us know if it helps.  Also tell me what it smells like to you.  It smells like something familiar like a candy.  It drives my husband and I nuts because we can’t place the smell. 

On 2/1/2020 at 2:40 PM, IWantToHeal said:

This post really helped me! 

We don't always hear about all the people who recover because they may not come online to post their success stories. But who to know better about the recovery rate among PSSD sufferers than a urologist who has them as his or her patients.

I am glad the post helped you.  I often read it when I am feeling bad.  And like you say, it is good to hear a quote from somebody who knows about the condition, has seen a number of people with it and followed their outcomes i.e. they were his or her patients.  And says the same thing that the moderators here say!

Escitalopram for anxiety (dates below are approximate).

Oct 09 - Apr 10, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 10 - Feb 11, 20mg (tapered off over about 6 weeks). 

Jun 11 - Aug 12, 20mg (started to taper off but failed). 

Oct 12 - Dec 13, 20mg.  Dec 13 - Apr 14, 10mg.  Apr 14 - Nov 14, 5mg. 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

On 2/4/2020 at 8:43 PM, Variance said:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/feb/04/since-starting-on-antidepressants-i-have-trouble-orgasming

Plenty of commenters who experienced sexual side effects, and most of them reported improvement or reversal of these, eventually. And one or two who haven't (yet.)

It's important to remember that this is a bell curve. Most of us who have found our way here are probably at the unlucky end of it, but at the same time are almost certain to see improvement, or recovery, eventually - just on a longer timescale than we might hope.

Exactly.  There are many people out there that have recovered from this.  And most of them probably would not even think to comment on some news article to say that they have recovered.  But at least some do! 

Nov 14 - Jan 16, 20mg.  Jan 16 - Aug 16, 10mg.  Aug 16 - Dec 16, 10mg every other day.  Dec 16 - Jan 17 5mg every third day.  Jan 17 - took last tablet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2012 at 6:56 PM, Altostrata said:

In response to a request for more detail about my PSSD:

I had the absolute genital anesthesia at first for quite a while, then that slowly went away, and sexual response gradually returned. This took several years. It's still improving.

I'm a menopausal woman. My hormonal situation may not be the same as yours. I got a little benefit from microdoses of DHEA (an unpredictable prohormone thought to turn into testosterone in women) but it gave me whiskers so I stopped it. I got a little more benefit from microdoses of estrogen in the Menostar patch, but it also helped other symptoms, such as sleep and hot flushes, which may have had something to do with sexual function recovery as well.

If you are younger, I suspect your recovery may be faster.

I would caution everyone, however, from experimenting with drugs to push PSSD recovery along. They may make other withdrawal symptoms worse.

PSSD is only one manifestation of withdrawal syndrome, which is basically autonomic dysregulation. Trying various drugs for PSSD can interfere with your body's attempt to correct its autonomic functioning. This will make recovering from PSSD and the rest of withdrawal syndrome more difficult and take longer.

To recover from PSSD and withdrawal syndrome, do your best to improve your sleep (if you have withdrawal insomnia) and calm your nervous system with stress-reduction techniques, healthy diet, and a positive attitude.

We are all victims of medical error, but we can take charge of our recoveries. Unpatient yourself and take care of yourself to support your recovery.

Thanks @Altostrata for explaining that SSRI withdrawal syndrome is autonomic dysregulation. Looking up autonomic dysregulation gives the explanations of what it is and the effects. A useful reminder.

Jan 2023: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms

Dec 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg. HRT stopped for hysterectomy surgery 5 Dec 22 (potential clotting risk)

September 2022: Venlafaxine XR 100 mg, Lorazepam 0.25 mg, Oestradiol 100 micrograms, Progesterone 100 mg.

Apologies but I can't remember or find details at the moment, but I slowly reduced Venlafaxine and Lorazepam through 2020-2021-2022.

Jan 2022: HRT increased by GP for unknown reason to oestradiol patch 100 microg, progresterone 100 mg

June 2021: started HRT (oestradiol patch 50 microg, progresterone 100 mg). 

August 2020:  Made a 16% reduction in Lorazepam at psychiatrist's recommendation (1.25 mg) while holding Venlafaxine at 150 mg.

March 2019 - March 2020: Venlafaxine  XR tapered from  337.5 mg  to 150 mg (60% reduction), while continuing 1.5 mg Lorazepam.

March 2016 - January 2019: Mirtazapine taptered to 0, while continuing on 1.5 mg Lorazepam and 375 mg Venlafaxine XR.

Feb. 2015: 7.5 mg Mirtazapine + 1.5 mg Lorazepam + 375 mg Venlafaxine.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I feel completely trapped and emotionally destroyed by what I can now identify as PSSD, and want to get some insight on it from others who have experienced the same issue.

I'm a 20 year old woman, and I've been medicated for most of my teen and adult life. I started Lexapro (can't remember the dosage) when I was 15, got off of it after a month because it caused severe confusion. Then I went on Wellbutrin, and was functioning alright sexually but it destroyed my short term memory. I was able to orgasm and feel complete sexual stimulation when I was still 17.

However, due to the memory issues, when I was 17 I switched from Wellbutrin to a combination of 75 mg of Effexor (Venlafaxine) and 10 mg of Seroquel for depression and psychosis. I stopped the Seroquel after about a year, but I've been on Effexor up until this past January, although my dosage was lowered to 37.5 mg 2 years ago. Ever since I went on Effexor, my sexual stimulation has been horrific. I either feel nothing, or if my clitoris is stimulated, it just feels overwhelming and uncomfortable, with no chance of an orgasm. 

I came off of it in January because of the sex issues, but my issues with stimulation still exist, and if anything have worsened. I also have almost totally lost my sex drive. Prior to Effexor, I had a high sex drive and it was easy for me to orgasm. I know this is not a "me" problem.

I've tried talking to a gyno about this, but one literally walked out of the room on me as I was speaking, saying I was "too young" to consult about this. Apparently I was "too young" to be informed of the complications of the drugs I was on, too.

Other gynos have totally brushed it off as psychological. Unfortunately, my reason for going on meds initially was due to an abusive relationship in my teen years, and that has been the scapegoat by every doctor I've been to. I can't stress enough that that isn't the case. My history with sexual assault has also been used as a easy blame for my issues, despite the fact my assault cases occurred after I already experienced sexual dysfunction.

I know I have only been about one-two months off Effexor, which is nothing compared to how long some PSSD sufferers have dealt with, but I am detecting a serious issue here and so far all I've read online has been "this is going to last forever." I am in a long-term relationship and my boyfriend knows all about the issue and has been incredibly understanding and caring and has tried his best to try to work past it, but I can tell it is wearing on him. I don't know how we can deal with it if this is permanent.

I'm incredibly desperate here. No doctor will listen to me, my relationship is in jeopardy, and I have to force myself to have sex or engage in sexual activities just to preserve my relationship and it's starting to make me dread sex. I've tried researching but every site says it's hopeless, and there's no treatment. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Eulalie,

You may want to read through this entire topic, if you have not yet.  And then also, do note the sites listed in post one, as well......as places that might offer the best support, to you around this issue now.

We are a site for tapering, and support around WD.

How did you come off your Effexor in January?

Please start a topic about yourself in this forum

^ will take you to our Introductions forum, where you can start a topic about yourself

Keep in mind too, please, that we are a family friendly site, overall. 

You should not ever have to force yourself to do anything to preserve a relationship, I'm a little concerned about that.

And nothing is ever hopeless.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

moderator mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

On 3/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, Eulalie said:

I've tried researching but every site says it's hopeless, and there's no treatment. 

Hi Eulalie,

I have PSSD so fully understand how you are feeling.  But I have to disagree with your statement above: the very site you are on here does not say it is hopeless and also has many accounts of people recovering from PSSD.

On 3/26/2020 at 7:31 PM, Eulalie said:

I'm incredibly desperate here. No doctor will listen to me, my relationship is in jeopardy, and I have to force myself to have sex or engage in sexual activities just to preserve my relationship and it's starting to make me dread sex. I've tried researching but every site says it's hopeless, and there's no treatment. 

Don't give up Eulalie. People do recover from PSSD, but it can take a long time, often many years. I completely understand your frustration at being disbelieved by the medical profession, it unfortunately happens to most people with PSSD, and compounds the suffering we are dealing with. It is a disgrace the way the medical profession treats people with PSSD, but keep going as people do come out the other side. 

• Mentor

Yes indeed! Take care of yourself. Take it easy. Don't worry if you have ups and downs, with regard to symptoms. It's a sign of change!

There is hope for recovery!

Fluoxetine 10mg - 1 Month. Switch to Venlafaxine 75-150mg for 3-5 months. Switch to Sertraline 50-100mg for 6-9 months. Risperidone added. (Suicide attempt, Akathisia) Cold turkey. Eventual taper of Sertraline.

Clonazepam 0.5mg 1X daily for 1 month, as I switched from Venlafaxine to Sertraline. About 3 months of Sertraline with no improvement, Risperidone was added @ 0.25mg-0.5mg for one week. Then raised to 0.75 and 1mg after another week. With 100mg Sertraline daily. Then raised to 1.5Mg after a check-up.

A self-taper, because I didn't trust doctors. Removing Sertraline XR beads from 100mg capsules, over 5-9 months. Which I would consider too hasty, in retrospect. I am recovered from all medication side effects!

My success story: 

I have taken many prescriptions/drugs, with/without a script. Most any prescription/illicit/grey market drug type. Searching for relief from/as, anxiety/Sleep-aids. All drugs are long ago. By God's will, I will stop smoking.

I have had pssd for 2 yrs now. My biggest symptom is low libido and difficulty getting an erection.  Once I achieve an erection i am able to maintain it and have sex and after I get an erection the libido also returns. I am able to get an erection with partner but not without her. There are some days when i feel like the old self but then it's back to pssd state. Dunno how long will the fluctuations last. The only good part is that I am able to have sex with the partner.

• manymoretodays changed the title to Rajat: PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction
  • 2 months later...

Permanent side effects?

Question. I have been off risperdal (antipsychotic) since October last year but I still am unable to achieve an orgasm during sex. The only way I can is if I do it myself. Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a permanent problem?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Depakote 1000mg July 2017- November 2017

Risperdal 3mg/daily July 2017-March 2018

Risperdal 2.5mg/daily February 2018-March 2018

Risperdal 2mg/daily March 2018- July 2018

Risperdal 1.5mg/daily July 2018- August 2018 

Risperdal 1mg/daily August 2018- October 2018

Risperdal 0 mg/daily October 2018- Present

• ChessieCat changed the title to Permanent side effects?
  • 3 weeks later...

I have PSSD but my sexual symptoms weren't that bad while on the SSRI. I just had an inability to orgasm but I still had libido and sensation of my genitals. It was only after quitting that I lost all libido and developed genital anesthesia. I have since reinstated Prozac and while it has helped reduced some WD symptoms, the PSSD remains. Is there anyone here with experience of this symptom  improving after reinstatement? 

Started SSRIs and Adderall in 2003.

June 2019 - quit 15mg Adderall XR, no problems

August - October 2019 - tapered Prozac from 40mg to 0mg with no WD symptoms

January 2020 - WD started 

January 2020 reinstated 15mg Adderall XR, taken as needed, about 3 times a week

Early June 2020 - reinstated 5mg Prozac, increased to 20mg, decreased to 5mg. Increased Adderall XR to daily usage of 15mg, started 50mg Trazodone. 

Mid June 2020 - increased to 10mg Prozac

August 13, 2020 - decreased to 5mg Prozac

Sept 5, 2020  - decreased to 10mg Adderall

Sept 15, 2020 - decreased to 5mg Adderall

October 1, 2020 - decreased to 0 mg Adderall

May 15, 2023 - tapered Prozac by 10% per month, using oral solution, currently taking 0.1mg every other day. 50mg Trazodone. 10mg Adderall. 

It goes in time. Mine has taken about 2 years.

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

2 minutes ago, Leo1983 said:

It goes in time. Mine has taken about 2 years.

2 years after reinstatement?

Early June 2020 - reinstated 5mg Prozac, increased to 20mg, decreased to 5mg. Increased Adderall XR to daily usage of 15mg, started 50mg Trazodone. 

May 15, 2023 - tapered Prozac by 10% per month, using oral solution, currently taking 0.1mg every other day. 50mg Trazodone. 10mg Adderall. 

After CT.

I would not put one of those tablets near my hand never mind my mouth.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

I wish I didn't have to reinstate but I literally couldn't function due to withdrawal and it just kept getting worse for 8 months. I lost my job and had to move back in with my mom. I took these for 17 years so I think my recovery would have taken at least 5

I have beennthrough it mate from start to finish. 

I stuck it out and it was hell. 24 month for and alot better but still not recovered.

• ChessieCat changed the title to PSSD Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction
  • Mentor

Hi, Sorry to hear about how much trouble you're having.

From experience I can say: "You can do it!"

Given time... Maybe due to the fact, you took the meds for over a decade... A very-very slow taper is for the best.

Edited by CharlieBrown
Punctuation/Time Period

My success story: 

• Mentor
On 7/24/2020 at 12:16 PM, Courtrose said:

I wish I didn't have to reinstate but I literally couldn't function due to withdrawal and it just kept getting worse for 8 months. I lost my job and had to move back in with my mom. I took these for 17 years so I think my recovery would have taken at least 5

^^^ YOU CAN DO IT!!!

My success story: 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy