Onwardmarcher: Prolonged SNRI withdrawal

Onwardmarcher

10yrs in public mental health system, treatment resistant, MDD.

Maintained on

1200mg lithium,

200mg Quetiapine,

225mg Venlafaxine Pd.

Today I am on

800mg Lithium,

0mg Quetiapine since Xmas 2016.

I went excessively quickly on the SNRI, 1/2 the dose over 1mth. A real "Horrorshow". On the 23.2.17, I recommenced my revised reduction program. Of 525mg pw, I made one reduction of 37.5mg on a Thurs three weeks later on the 16.3.17 I made a second reduction of 37.5mg on a Sunday and started to record symptoms four times a day in Excel.

Today I am still physically unwell from withdrawal, psychology I am utterly isolated and emotionally unstable but even though I can cure my ills by re-up of the very drugs I have to take every day, my goal is still in place and my plan is flexible. I am under pressures beyond the perception of people without experience. "Nothing to be done".

A Question. Could Lithium be extending some of the properties of the SNRI extending the efficacy and so the withdrawal?

Edited by scallywag
add extra lines after paragraphs; isolate doses + meds one/per line for clarity

It matters not how strait the gate, 
      How charged with punishments the scroll, 
I am the master of my fate, 
      I am the captain of my soul. 

10yrs in public mental health system, treatment resistant, MDD. maintained on 1200mg lithium, 200mg Quetiapine, 225mg Venlafaxine pd. Today I am on 800mg Lithium, 0mg Quetiapine since Xmas 2016. I went way to quickly on the SNRI, 1/2 the dose over 1mth. A real Horrorshow. On the 23.2.17 I recommenced my revised reduction program. Of 525mg pw I made 1 reduction of 37.5mg on a Thurs three weeks later on the 16.3.17 I made a second reduction of 37.5mg on a Sunday and started to record symptoms four times a day in Excell. Today I am still phiscally unwell from withdrawal, psychology Im utterly isolated and emotionally unstable but even though I can cure my ills by re-up of the very drugs I have to take every day, my goal is still in place and my plan is flexible. I am under pressures beyond the perception of people without experience. "Nothing to be done". A Question. Could Lithium be extending some of the properties of the SNRI extending the efficacy and so the withdrawal?.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Onwardmarcher: Prolonged SNRI withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Onwardmarcher -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Great username!  The symptoms you are experiencing now are almost certainly the result of large reductions in lithium (50%) and quetiapine (100%) followed by rapid reductions to discontinue venlafaxine.

We suggest that people come off these drugs one at a time by a gentle taper: decreasing dose by no more than 10% and making the decreases no more often than once per month. For more information, please read:

Tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Here's information relevant to your current and recent medications:

Tips for tapering off Effexor (venlafaxine)

Tips for tapering off Seroquel (quetiapine)

Tips for tapering off lithium

Thank you for taking time to post a signature.  It's easier for us to help you if you limit it to "just the facts" summarizing your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly:

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It would be helpful for us to know the dates (actual or approximate) on which you

• started decreasing dose of lithium, when you reached your current dose, and the dates and doses of any interim steps
  • started decreasing dose of quetiapine, when you reached your current dose, and the dates and doses of any interim steps
  • started decreasing dose of venlafaxine, decreased dose as a step down (already posted, but please include them) and when you reached your current dose

Once we have that information we may be able to suggest a next step for you.  Other information that is often helpful is your log of symptoms. You've been keeping a log in a spreadsheet. Have you been recording only your symptoms or have you included the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• 5 months later...

I'm told that some people post on sa then get off their meds and do so well they don't bother to come and post again.

Would that be true for you. 

Love to hear from you onwardmarcher

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017