SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Susanm: Introduction

Susanm

First, I would like to thank you all for sharing your experiences and all of the research that has been done by so many.  I truly feel as though you have saved my life!

My story starts when I was prescribed Prozac and Xanax after an unexpected hysterectomy in 1998.  My hormones were a mess that needed attention and I probably needed talk therapy for the grief (hindsight observation)

Changed to Effexor, Prozac, Lexapro, Paxil, no benzos, more benzos (lots of benzos) up and down throughout most of 2000-2008 with loss of employment, suicide attempt 2005, I nearly lost my marriage because of very compulsive behavior - I knew it wasn't me, and thank God he knew that, too.  Drank a lot during this time.

2006 back on Effexor up to 150 mgs because it was the last time I remembered being happy, and stayed there 4 years because I knew how scary it was to miss a dose - but I wanted off it every other visit.  My pdoc prescribed Xanax, then clonazepam, finally setting at 2mgs per day  I gulped that cocktail every morning (all of it) with a cup of coffee and tried to make it through the day and could not figure out why I couldn't.  I became to accept it as my life and watched everything just kind of fade away,  Lost a couple more jobs, and the uncontrollable crying was causing a problem...back to pdoc

2010? Switched to Pristiq 50 mgs, increased quickly to 100 mgs, plus up to 3mg clonazepam - was much better for maybe two weeks, then right back to despair - I asked at every visit to get off the meds.  I was always told that my brain chemistry was imbalanced and that taking the meds was like taking blood pressure medicine. I hated my life. 

2016 Started diet changes and felt a real desire to get off the meds.  I was not depressed and was tired of not "feeling".  I wanted a more natural approach to life, "I live in color" became my goal.  Also started medical cannabis when it became legal in my state.  

October 2016 began begging to get off the meds.  Several arguments, but I didn't feel like myself and I knew I wanted off, so insisted.  Was instructed to taper *without any instructions of how to taper* the clonazepam (I was already down to probably 1.5-2 mgs on my own without side effects), so began taking .5 less until I was at .5 mg daily for a few months, continuing the 100 mg Pristiq, and there began my slow decline into hell...

April 2017 - Started experiencing more severe serotonin syndrome symptoms, but didn't know what it was.  I was losing my mind!!  Saw pdoc and she told me if I could show her my desire was real (WTF?) and completely stay off the clonazepam for 30 days (I could never go more than a day or two without .5), she would consider tapering the Pristiq.  Deepest spiral I've ever experienced.  Seriously wanted to die and thought I was!  

July 2017 - Was googling symptoms and what was going on with my sudden and debilitating health decline and eventually found SA, and viola!  All the answers to all the questions I've been asking anyone who would listen since 2005.  Immediately saw my regular doctor and he confirmed everything you have all said.  Better late than never...

I have read the tapering threads multiple times.  My brain fog is clearing a bit after the big jump from 100mg to 75mg on the desvenlafaxine.  In fact, I am able to type all this out today in less than 8 hours, which is amazing!  I'm not sure how I feel about the direction my physician is taking my taper.  He wants me to drop .25 mgs hold, then .25 again.  The first drop was so debilitating, I don't/can't do that again.  I will talk to him about the protocol suggested here and insist we go that route.  

I have had severe GI issues since taking desvenlafaxine.  Trying to fix this is what originally started me on this rabbit trail.  Thanks for being here.

Edited by scallywag
add extra lines after paragraphs

Started on Effexor and Xanax after an unexpected hysterectomy in 1998.  

2000-2008 - Changed to Prozac, Lexapro, Paxil, no benzos, more benzos (lots of benzos) up and down never stable

2006 back on Effexor up to 150 mgs I don't remember a benzo, but was drinking a lot

2010? Switched to Pristiq 50 mgs, increased quickly to 100 mgs, plus up to 3mg clonazepam

2016 Diet and life change to "get healthy", started using medical cannabis when it became legal in my state

October 2016 - Wanted off meds.  Was instructed to taper the clonazepam *I had already tapered to 1.5 mg daily*, .5 less until I was at .5mg for a few months, continue 100 mg Pristiq, slow decline into hell...

April 2017 - Started experiencing more severe serotonin syndrome symptoms, but didn't know what it was.  I was losing my mind!!  Saw pdoc and she told me if I could show her my desire was real (WTF?) and completely stay off the clonazepam for 30 days, she would consider tapering the Pristiq.  Deepest spiral I've ever experienced.  Seriously wanted to die and thought I was!  

July 2017 - 75mgs desvenlafaxine current taper,  up to 1.5mg clonazepam .25 per dose, start with .5 mgs morning use as needed, medical cannabis with knowledgeable and trustworthy (experienced) support

• scallywag changed the title to Susanm: Introduction
  • Moderator Emeritus

Susanm -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

You've walked the same psychopharmaceutical path as many, many others -- one drug after another, sometimes in combination. Then when you try to discontinue, the doctor(s) who prescribed the medications are clueless about how to discontinue them safely. Your pDoc's approach was absolutely sadistic and put all the responsibility on you with NO understanding about how these drugs affect people. :angry:

Not sure which threads you've read, so I'll post the relevant ones:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Pristiq (desvenlafaxine)

Members-only benzo forum

Ashton and beyond in benzo tapering

We strongly urge people to taper only one drug at a time. Please read:

Taking multiple drugs? Which to taper first.

Your doctor's plan to decrease the benzo in large steps will almost certainly cause withdrawal symtpoms. Please read the "Ashton and beyond" topic I posted above.

Glad to read that you're feeling clearer. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Welcome to the forum!  So your doctor wants you to cut the pristiq by 25 mg at a time?  (You wrote .25). If you found the first 25 cut was destabilizing, the other ones will likely be more-so as the cuts are proportionally  larger (as when you cut 25 from 100, it's only a 25% cut -- which is larger/quicker than what is recommended her.  But, when you get down to 50, if you cut 25 that will be a 50% cut.

As you've probably read, this forum quite rightly recommends 10% cuts max. 

As for the benzo/klonopin, take a look at the section of this forum that deals with benzodiazepines.  You will get lots of info. there on tapering benzos.   Very possibly you are feeling benzo withdrawal, not just the effects of cutting the pristiq.

Hang around here and you will get lots of support and info.

Best wishes,

M.

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Thank you for the responses. I've never participated in a forum like this so excuse me as I learn to quote and answer questions properly.

Scallywag, thank you for the links. I've reviewed most of them and will revisit the subjects along my journey. 

Madeline, my doctor's intention is to lower each dose by 25 mgs each drop. There is no way I will do that!  I will follow the 10% taper you all have found to be most successful with adequate holds. These last few months have been pure hell. No way will I go through that again. 

Thank you you for the welcome. I'm very glad to be here. I spend hours here learning, so will most likely be adding progression updates. 

Started on Effexor and Xanax after an unexpected hysterectomy in 1998.  

2000-2008 - Changed to Prozac, Lexapro, Paxil, no benzos, more benzos (lots of benzos) up and down never stable

2006 back on Effexor up to 150 mgs I don't remember a benzo, but was drinking a lot

2010? Switched to Pristiq 50 mgs, increased quickly to 100 mgs, plus up to 3mg clonazepam

2016 Diet and life change to "get healthy", started using medical cannabis when it became legal in my state

October 2016 - Wanted off meds.  Was instructed to taper the clonazepam *I had already tapered to 1.5 mg daily*, .5 less until I was at .5mg for a few months, continue 100 mg Pristiq, slow decline into hell...

April 2017 - Started experiencing more severe serotonin syndrome symptoms, but didn't know what it was.  I was losing my mind!!  Saw pdoc and she told me if I could show her my desire was real (WTF?) and completely stay off the clonazepam for 30 days, she would consider tapering the Pristiq.  Deepest spiral I've ever experienced.  Seriously wanted to die and thought I was!  

July 2017 - 75mgs desvenlafaxine current taper,  up to 1.5mg clonazepam .25 per dose, start with .5 mgs morning use as needed, medical cannabis with knowledgeable and trustworthy (experienced) support

Hello susanm

i am also new on here and found the advice invaluable. From thinking it was just me being unable to work out what was going on with my mind and body to find the real causes was like a gift from the gods, as I am sure it will be for you. 

You will receive and find lots of advice and hope on here that hopefully will give you lots of comfort and strength.  

2006 After sudden death of mother put on 20mg of citaloprom for depression. 

2014 Drug stopped working after two weeks of panic attacks felt fine. 

Aug 2014. Doctor put me on lyrica for rash on face, diarrhoea, sleeplessness,muscle cramp, bruising. Initial dose too strong, halved dose.  Stopped taking it 22/10/14

2014 severe anxiety after several ssri's attempted, seem to have developed severe  sensitivity to any drug, but giving severe  reactions put on cipralex drop form.started on 2 drops and had to increase by 1 drop every 3 days. Eventually got to 12 drops and had to stop as side effects every step of the way dreadful. Psychiatrist kept telling me to stick with it and my body would get used to it.  Eventually down to 8 drops. Bad reactions throughout the time I was on it

Have been on this until may 2017. Stopped over two weeks. Felt fine for 5 weeks after initial dizziness, nightmares, nausea, insomnia.  

Given diazepam by gp and told to take them when anxiety bad. Have only taken them very rarely as they frighten me. 

Last two weeks severe anxiety returned and feeling hopeless 

11July 2017. Cipralex 2mg. Anxiety, nausea still severe

13 July 2017 Cipralex 1mg due to advice of too high dosage  by kind person on thus site. so dropped from 2mg to 1mg and feelings of anxiety still at severe. As well as nausea, headaches, fatigue. 

15 July still feeling extremely anxious verging on panic. Nausea, feelings of fainting, fatigue. Lots of head pains 

3 August. Three weeks into trying to stabilise on one drop of cipralex. Still have waking from 4am. Sporadic upset stomach. Nausea.  High anxiety.  Throbbing/burning in nether regions seems to have eased for time being but stabbing/burning in calves of legs. Tinnitus. Occasional half to whole better days but mainly still struggling. Fatigue