SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

SynyKon

I don't know where to start. Several months ago I began seeing a psychiatrist so I could continue getting my prescriptions for Klonopin. That has always been the best med for me, really helps my anxiety.

Due to diagnosed liver damage,  she severely lowered my dosage from 0.5mg 3 times daily to only one a day and added paxil for depression even though I told her I don't have depression. I was on that for a month and told her it was not working, if anything I felt depressed since starting the med. So she switched me to 37.5mg of effexor 2 pills per day. After one month, told her it wasn't helping me so she increased my dose to 3 pills per day. I've been on this mix for two months and the longer I was on it, the worse I started to feel. I actually started feeling extremely depressed and overall emotionally unstable.

4 nights ago, I had a complete emotional breakdown. I walked out of my house with all my meds, went to the fire department nearby that was at that time closed and I swallowed my last 10 Klonopin and at least 12 effexor. I grew so dizzy and lightheaded that I could barely walk but managed to get home and fell asleep. For the next two days, I felt fine, just tired but then yesterday out of nowhere, I began feeling very sick with severe abdominal pain, electric shocks shooting through me, severe nausea and diarrhea, numbness everywhere, severe disorientation, lower back pain like an extension from the stomach and abdominal pain, severe dizziness, weakness, emotionally broken (crying uncontrollably for no reason, unable to stop), rapidly changing chills and feeling hot, slightly slurred speech, etc. I could not eat or drink anything, even water, without feeling sick.

Finally fell asleep and woke up today with the stomach and abdominal pain so strong I can't stand straight and feel like I might fall, still feeling very weak, severe dry throat, still very nauseated, etc. I am at a loss. All my psychiatrist cares about is getting me working, she does not listen to me at all, very condescending and I do not feel she has my health and safety in her best interest. I currently am without transportation and I'm desperate for help. I'm worried about my liver, the Dr expressed real concern about it but neglected to give me much information other than he was concerned about the damage they found. I'm scared, depressed because I'm in no condition to take care of my 3 year old daughter who keeps asking, "mommy are you sick? You need to go doctor?" Please anyone help.

Edited by mammaP
Paragraph breaks
  • ChessieCat changed the title to SynyKon: Need help
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi SynyKon, welcome to SA. I am so sorry to read your experience, sadly it is not unusual for doctors to prescribe these drugs this way.

How long have you been taking klonopin?  

How are you feeling now?

I hope you are feeling better but if not you should go to a hospital, serotonin toxicity can make you very very ill, especially if your liver is not functioning properly.  Suicidality is a side effect of SSRIs and add to that withdrawal because of the cut to klonopin and there is little wonder you had a breakdown but you will get through this,  

Did you take all your effexor or do you have some left? 

Did you get more klonopin? If not you need to get more ASAP. 

You can click 'quote' and this reply will show in a quote box, you can typr your replies in the box to make it easier. 

If you are still feeling suicidal you should seek help ftom one of the hotlines, there are many listed here and hopefully there will be one in your area. Please don't struggle alone, you need to talk to someone and they are there to help. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

1 hour ago, mammaP said:

Hi SynyKon, welcome to SA. I am so sorry to read your experience, sadly it is not unusual for doctors to prescribe these drugs this way.

How long have you been taking klonopin?  

How are you feeling now?

I hope you are feeling better but if not you should go to a hospital, serotonin toxicity can make you very very ill, especially if your liver is not functioning properly.  Suicidality is a side effect of SSRIs and add to that withdrawal because of the cut to klonopin and there is little wonder you had a breakdown but you will get through this,  

Did you take all your effexor or do you have some left? 

Did you get more klonopin? If not you need to get more ASAP. 

You can click 'quote' and this reply will show in a quote box, you can typr your replies in the box to make it easier. 

If you are still feeling suicidal you should seek help ftom one of the hotlines, there are many listed here and hopefully there will be one in your area. Please don't struggle alone, you need to talk to someone and they are there to help. 

I was first prescribed Klonopin around 8 years ago when I began suffering from severe panic attacks. My PCP at that time put me at 0.5mg 3 times daily or per diem. After about a year I lost my insurance and ability to continue the Klonopin until a few months ago when my new PCP put me back on it at the lowered dosage of one per day which sadly was not enough. I don't have any Klonopin left but I do have a couple days worth of my effexor left. 

The odd part of all of this is that the electric shocks, weakness, emotional instability has improved, however, I am now very sick. I cannot eat, cannot stay out of the bathroom for more than 20 minutes before I'm running with horrible diarrhea, it's so bad I'm running in there at least 6 times every hour now and this is combined with severe all around stomach pain, severe bloating so I look 9 months pregnant.

I really don't know what to do because I do not trust my psychiatrist at all, she has not done anything but harm me further since day 1 and my PCP simply says I need to discuss this with a psychiatrist. To find a new one, I'd be lucky to get an appointment in the next several months. I'm truly scared at this point, my family really does not understand any of this and if I were to go to the hospital, I worry for my 3 year old daughter because she suffers chronic separation anxiety to the point she hyperventilates and no one else can calm her if I'm not there. It is part of the reason I don't currently work aside from my inability to cope with my anxiety around other people and stressful situations.

Luckily, I do not currently feel suicidal or overly emotional, just very sick and weak.

This is how severely bloated I am. No, I can confirm I am not pregnant. This was taken 10 minutes ago, after an emergency run to the bathroom.

PS_Messages_20170722_173050.jpg

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, SynyKon said:

I was first prescribed Klonopin around 8 years ago when I began suffering from severe panic attacks. My PCP at that time put me at 0.5mg 3 times daily or per diem. After about a year I lost my insurance and ability to continue the Klonopin until a few months ago when my new PCP put me back on it at the lowered dosage of one per day

Did you stop klonopin after a year of taking it, 7 years ago?  The overdose has flooded your body with serotonin and caused serotonin toxicity which can be very serious. 

How are you now? I think it must be early morning where you are.  

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Yes I had to stop taking it for a few years actually after that.

I'm still pretty sick. Not really getting any better. Went to the hospital last night but left because they forgot I was even there, didn't even do the blood draw and one of the doctors made a big announcement that unless your heart stopped the wait would be hours, 6 or more and I was alone so I left. Got home and crashed in bed. Just woke up, feeling very out of it, still in pain, but not as bad. I took my last two effexor last night before I left the hospital so I'm assuming that could be why I actually made it home on a 3 mile walk feeling like my midsection was being torn apart. I can only assume the effexor is what helped me a little because nothing else changed. I was an emotional Trainwreck before I left, I had a breakdown just outside, full blown, shaking, crying, hyperventilating and not one person on the staff was even remotely concerned. Not sure what to do now since the hospital was a bust and now my usual transportation is gone because the person is mad at me for not sitting in a hospital waiting room for 7 or more hours alone.

Sounds like you are going through benzodiazepines withdrawal as well as side effects from the antidepressants.  Doctors are being pressured to take people off benzodiazepines.  Likely your  doctor must have known you need to taper klonopin but gave you an antidepressant hoping that it would soften any klonopin withdrawal. But it causes additional problems. There is a benzodiazepines section on this forum there and people in that section can hopefully advise you too

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

Been sleeping nonstop because I'm constantly exhausted now and can't seem to get in to see any Dr. I've never had so much trouble getting medical help, it's awful. I'm stuck trying to deal with all of this and yes, I'm still very sick and my emotional state is like a roller coaster spiraling out of control. I'll feel calm for a little while by distracting myself in my hobby, then just out of nowhere I start feeling hopeless, depressed, and desperate again. It's driving me crazy especially with the physical pain and all my other symptoms. I feel like I'm losing myself more everyday.