ekd3: Tapering Effexor

ekd3

For the past 5 years, I had been on Effexor 37.5 mg. While not a huge dose, I realize how extremely difficult it is to taper off of this drug - along with how difficult it was for me to find information about how to taper. I was finally able to do it, and I'm happy to say I'm totally off of Effexor now! So I'm here to share what I did in hopes it can shed some light on this subject...

The psychiatrist I had always gone to only offered one method to taper off of Effexor, which was to take one pill every other day, every two days, etc. For those of you reading this, you know that that is next to impossible with the severity of the withdrawal symptoms. I had done some research online about Effexor tapering, and all I could really find in any capacity was in regards to cutting the pills to slowly taper off. So I called my psychiatrist and requested the tablets instead of the capsules I was taking (which proved to be a pain, and took about 2 weeks to finally get). I tried cutting the tablet Effexor 37.5 mg's into halves, fourths, eights, and sixteenths in order to taper instead of taking the pills every other day. This was highly inaccurate, and after 3 months of decreasing by 10% (3.75 mg for me) per month, I realized this was going to take forever to taper off. I had the intense brain zaps, dizziness, nausea, tiredness, irritability, etc. - all of the symptoms that had motivated me to stay on the medication.

I found a new psychiatrist who told me about the Effexor-Prozac bridge. I was skeptical at first because I just wanted to get off of medication completely, but after taking time to think about it, it's NOT worth losing days and nights, time off of work or school, time not being able to be spent with friends and family, just to get off of this horrible medication! 

Here's what he prescribed me and instructed me to do:

Week 1: Take normal dose of Effexor 37.5 mg along with 10 mg Prozac daily

Week 2: Take normal dose of Effexor 37.5 mg every other day and 10 mg Prozac daily

Week 3: Stop Effexor 37.5 completely (I know, a little intimidating but the symptoms were dramatically less!) and take 10 mg and 5 mg Prozac every other day, daily

Week 4 - on: Gradually arrive to 5 mg Prozac daily, then every other day, every two days, every three days, etc. 

My psychiatrist told me that I could do any of this at my own pace, but to allow at least a week for the Prozac (taken every day) to be in my system. There were some days where I had mild withdrawal symptoms, being a little tired, small brain zaps, a little stomach ache - but nothing that kept me from living my everyday life. 

Obviously I'm no doctor and can't know anyone else's situation but mine, but I hope this helps just a little!

• ChessieCat changed the title to ekd3: Tapering Effexor
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello Ekd3,

Thank you for sharing your story with us.  I am happy to hear you have been able to end your time on effexor - I am currently tapering this difficult drug,  Are you still on prozac?

The only thing I would mention is that we do not recommend skipping doses, as it can cause worse withdrawal symptoms for some people.  How has it gone for you?  Instead, we suggest weighing dry doses or making a liquid in order to taper carefully right to the end.  As you discovered, it is worth taking the time needed.  We also suggest tapering by 10% of the original dose, so the amount a person reduces by is less every time.  

I am sure you will find others here who will understand what you have been through,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants,

Karen 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen,

I'm off of both Effexor and Prozac now. Sorry if my post caused some confusion - I didn't mean to recommend skipping doses, I was just shedding light on the fact that my psychiatrist recommended it. I never actually did, as I know how horrible it is to do. 

It has only been with the addition of Prozac that I've been able to taper off of the Effexor, so I would definitely recommend it. Hope this can help. 

Ekd3

how long have you been off the effexor now? i have been off venlafaxine 3 months and I am now experiencing intense insomnia

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

I've been off of Effexor for about 2 months now. I have always had a fairly low energy level and I found that getting off of Effexor increased my energy. That said, I did have some insomnia the first week I was off of Effexor while taking the Prozac, but it went away within a few weeks. Hope it gets better dj2010