Niels: 11 months of an 'unguilty' supplement called Phenibut

Niels

Hi guys,

This is my first post, last year (2016) I took a supplement called phenibut from january until august 16. Now more than 11 months later I am still in withdrawal. I took phenibut for better sleep, but had enormous benefits during the day, I had no stress and felt like a god, so I took it daily and well above the recommended dosages, than when I quit CT not knowing hell was awaiting me.

Now I still have a lot of symptoms:

- dizziness

- fatigue

- balance problems

- legs feel weak and dizzy

- stiff neck on the backside, like there's a weight on it

- rapid heartrate when doing the minimal of activity

- exercise intolerance

- sometimes numb spots on face

- muscle spasms

- bloated belly

As far as I know nobody who took this supplement has suffered so intensly for so long?

(English not my first language.)

• scallywag changed the title to Niels: 11 months of an 'unguilty' supplement called Phenibut
  • Moderator Emeritus

Niels -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

It is shocking how something so seemingly innocent as a "natural" supplement can have such long lasting effects. Have you read our discussion on phenibut and other similar substances?

Kavinace, phenibut, or phenyl gaba for sleep.

You can find discussion topics about your symptoms

• maybe in the links in this summary topic: Important topics about symptoms including sleep problems.
  • by browsing the Symptoms Forum
  • by searching the site using the site search tool; field is in the top right of every page
  • by using a web search engine with a keyword for your symptom, e.g. "numbness," plus site:survivingantidepressants.org as search terms.

That last bullet is a good way to find other discussions where phenibut has been mentioned in a post on the site.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you for the links, reading posts from people with similar symptoms brings relief to me... I hope we all heal soon...

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

How are you doing, Niels?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.