SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

AtlanticCat: my introduction

AtlanticCat

Hi-new member here. I am 59 and was on and off ssris for a number of years for peri-menopause. I am suffering from lingering apathy and anhedonia and it has been a little over two years since my last round with meds.  I did not realize this was due to withdrawal.

Also suffering from insomnia-this started about a year ago when I upped my normal 2,000 mgs of Vitamin D to 3,000 just to see if I could feel less numb. I felt great until the insomnia hit.  Now I take only 250 mgs of Vit D/Calcium/ Vit K as more only interferes with my sleep. Overall my sleep has slowly improved and recently periods of free floating anxiety came hit me from out of the blue. I have restarted on 100 mgs of Magnesium Glycinate which helps me to chill out and also has fluffed up my brain a bit motivation wise. I hope the effects are not short lived as some of the other supplements I have tried.

I exercise and meditate but that has had little effect on the motivation, etc. Am seeing a therapist and it has been difficult to get her to understand the amotivational syndrome and that I am not depressed. I am trying to force myself to find pleasurable social activities but it is hard with the low motivation. I also journal daily to recount any pleasurable moments in my day.

I have seen some improvement over the years but I just want to feel normal again.

• Administrator

Welcome, AtlanticCat.

Yes, vitamin D can be activating. Sorry you found this out the hard way. It could be your nervous system was so sensitized by going off drugs 2 years ago, it will take some time to settle down.

Emotional anesthesia is a common long-term after-effect of going off antidepressants. Recovery tends to be slow and frustrating. It's a good sign that your sleep has slowly improved. You might be able to move that along a bit faster, see

You might be able to increase your magnesium intake to several times a day. Many people do better with fish oil, too, see

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to AtlanticCat: my introduction
  • 5 months later...

AC how are you doing.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Thanks for inquiring about my well being.

Well I had to bite the bullet and go back on an antidepressant. I am on 20 mgs of Trintillex and am feeling slightly better. After two years of feeling flat and unmotivated (since last round of antidepressant use) I was unwilling to wait it out to feel normal because who knows how long it would take?.  I know many here are against psych drugs but I need to be able to function and want to enjoy life. I feel like I may be on drugs the rest of my life.  I have ried exercise, meditation, talk therapy etc to no avail. I am unwilling to wait indefinitely to feel better.

AC

Nice to hear from you.

Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

May I ask what ad you were previously on?

I see of all the ads the doctor could have chosen for,you he decided on Trintellix of all things.

Interesting , I wonder why he chose that one for you.

I’m sorry you weren’t able to hold drug free. Some symptoms can take a long time to resolve.

wishing you better days for 2018.

This site has excellent taper advice that is heaps better than doctor advice should the time come for you to give tapering another go.

nz11

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Platinum Star:

Several years ago I tried Wellbutrin, Zoloft and a small dose of Buspar. It did make me feel much better for several years but I developed tolerance so I went off of it. The real culprit was Celexa which I took around 15 years ago for perimenopausal mood swings.  After taking 20 mgs of Celexa for three months I developed the apathy and demotivation: these symptoms are not antidepressant withdrawal symptoms but a phenonomena called "antidepressant apathy syndrome."

The doctor chose Trintillex because I had developed insomnia about a year ago and Wellbutrin causes insomnia, as least initially. Plus Trintillex hits a number of receptors including dopamine so I am hoping I will start feeling close to normal again.  I am not willing to wait indefinitely for my brain to return to normal on its own-too much wasted time. I want to be able to get my butt off the sofa during my free time!!

Thanks again!

This is an interesting turn of events. So it appears doctors are now giving trintellix for insomnia. 

Have to admit on my limited reading I’m confused about just what receptors trintellix is hitting.

AC were  you aware trintellix also comes in lower dosages like there is a 5mg  tablet. 

I wonder why the doc went for a 20mg and not a 5mg. 

When did you start on the 20mg ? Maybe you have been on for while now.

Recovering paxil addict

The psychiatrist did not give me Trintellix  for insomnia, it was just less likely to cause insomnia than Wellbutrin. I started on 5 mgs, then to 10, and then to 20 mgs (for the last two weeks).  The lower doses did nothing for me.

The following is a quote from a depression forum:

"It is an inhibitor of the serotonin transporter (SERT) (which is how it inhibits serotonin reuptake to increase serotonin levels in the synaptic cleft); a near full agonist at 5-HT1A (a serotonin receptor, which when an agonist for this receptor combined with SSRI action, more serotonin production is capable than with 5-HT1A agonism or SSRI action alone, is believed to accelerate the antidepressant response, is believed to have anxiolytic actions when agonized or "partially" agonized, and is believed to enhance dopamine release via downstream effects of agonism of postsynaptic 5-HT1A receptors) with an intrinsic activity of 96% (how "much" the receptor is activated by the drug in comparison to an endogenous ligand like 5-HT or serotonin, which would be 100%); a partial agonist at 5-HT1B (which are autoreceptors) with intrinsic activity of 55% (roughly half of serotonin), which I speculate would act competitively with serotonin and act kind of more like an antagonist, which would disinhibit, or "cut the brake line" for serotonin release from these neurons; a 5-HT1D antagonist (which are also autoreceptors), which has the same results as 5-HT1B antagonism/partial agonism with low to moderate intrinsic activity, which is disinhibiting/enhancing serotonin release; a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist, which induces release of norepinephrine and acetylcholine, and possibly histamine, dopamine, and serotonin too; a 5-HT7 receptor antagonist, which is thought to have effects on learning, circadian rhythm, and enhance serotonin release; and a β1-adrenergic receptor ligand (doesn't specify if it's an agonist or antagonist, so I can't say what it would do)" 

A mouthful right? 

28 minutes ago, AtlanticCat said:

doesn't specify if it's an agonist or antagonist, so I can't say what it would do

A mouthful right? 

That sure is one partially agonising bambooziling mouthful alright.

Recovering paxil addict