SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ FarmGirlWorks: sertraline WD - kundalini yoga helping

FarmGirlWorks

• Mentor

This site is a go-to to reassure myself that others are traveling and have traveled this road. The discussions about emotional spirals (check) and anxiety, rumination and dread on waking up (check) and depression even worse than before medication (check) have been helpful. I am being extra mindful now of taking Mag powder in the morning and before bed.

I started AA and kundalini yoga in mid-May which have both been helpful. Although I really didn't drink much, it was enough (and mostly alone, not social) and any depressant when you are coming off an antidepressant can't be helpful. Also, I changed from hatha/vinyasa yoga to kundalini yoga which is more focused on the spiritual component of yoga.

I won't lie: at 4 months, I still fall daily into waves of depression and loneliness. But I do find that there are glimmers of happier times and I am getting clearer -- I hope -- about how to handle the tough times (for instance, I just now think that my beloved dog has a fever and am trying not to emotionally spiral -- ugh). I will be reading this site like mad just to remind myself that I am not alone.

Farm Girl Works

Tapered 75mg Sertraline  March 2017 in 4weeks after 6 years mostly on with a few unsuccessful WD

Stopped Sertraline April 1, 2017

• Prozac | late 2004-mid-2005 | CT WD in a couple months, mostly emotional
  • Sertraline 50-100mg | 11/2011-3/2014, 10/2014-3/2017
  • Sertraline fast taper March 2017, 4 weeks, OFF sertraline April 1, 2017
  • Quit alcohol May 20, 2017
  • Lifestyle changes: AA, kundalini yoga

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• ChessieCat changed the title to FarmGirlWorks: Sertraline WD: AA and kundalini yoga helping
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi FGW, welcome to SA. It looks like you have done your homework and have a good understanding of withdrawal and how to get through it. This site is the best there is for tapering and withdrawal, Alto has produced something very special here and worked very hard to put it all together, I am so glad I found it too. You have probaly seen it but we have a topic for reinstating if the symptoms become too difficult to cope with. No one ever wants to reinstate but if symptoms ramp up it can give relief at very low doses which can be tapered when stabilised. You are doing great and dealing with it really well but will post the link for information. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

You are describing the windows and waves pattern of recovery, which is the way the brain heals and regains homeostasis. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-stabilization/

What is withdrawal syndrome. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/603-what-is-withdrawal-syndrome/

If you check out the symptoms and self care forums you will find a wealth of information on what helps and what doesn't. This is a link to the important topics

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/606-important-topics-about-tests-supplements-treatments-diet/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Mentor

Thanks, mammaP, for responding to this -- so appreciated. I turned 50 in Deceber 2016 and suspect that hormonal shifts may be at play as well. I've been reading the menopause WD threads here. I have an appt with the ob/gyn on Aug 9th (for a checkup from a benign cyst surgery last year) and am going to ask for a hormone check. If they think I need an estrogen patch or something, I'd rather do that than reinstate at this time. If it hits mid-September and I am still like this, I might have to reinstate a wee bit although I really don't want to. WD has always been rough for me -- less physical and more emotional.

Farm Girl Works

Tapered 75mg Sertraline  March 2017 in 4weeks after 6 years mostly on with a few unsuccessful WD

Stopped Sertraline April 1, 2017

Stopped alcohol May 18, 2017.

"If you've seen a monster, even if it's horrible, that's evidence of divinity." – Damien Echols

• Mentor

Yesterday I felt like I was crawling out of my skin with anxiety. I read that Benadryl (which, according to this site is a serotonin uptake inhibitor as well as antihistamine) helps with sleep. I actually took it during the day and do not feel sleepy but just calmer and not so hypersensitive. I took one with magnesium fizzy water this morning as well as Vitamin C powder. I am not sure anymore what "normal" feels like for me but at least I am not paralyzed with anxiety. This "window" is a great relief.

I've also heeded the info here to be gentle on the withdrawal brain. The only supplements I take right now are DHA gel caps and aspirin. I also drink lemon water.

I also read a user's account of how he was misdiagnosed with depression when he had really suffered trauma. That piqued my interest as the two times I have "had" to start SSRIs was after extended traumatic events. The first time, I returned from San Francisco back to Seattle after a 17-hour brain surgery (benign tumor, acoustic neuroma) and a one-month stint in rehab to learn how to walk, talk, eat with motor skills on my right side diminished. Trigger! After a while back here, just sitting around and sleeping a lot, my then bf suggested I go on Prozac. He was a drug enthusiast and I was just letting others make decisions for me. Big mistake. It was great to feel pleasure again but the WD was awful. The second time (Zoloft/sertraline) was after I had spent six months as a funeral director in central WA which was away from any friends and also culturally WAY different than what I liked; I grew up in the country and that is okay but conservative small town life is not. Stressful situation coming back and, long story made short, was going to an informational interview at a funeral home and was told my SSDI/disability might end. Trigger! I just lost it, refer to it as my first nervous breakdown. After a few months of desperately trying peer counseling (did not work for me) and passionflower (moderately helped), got a job as a cashier at Whole Foods and started sertraline/Zoloft. And yes, it did stabilize me. As well as having an easy job and a manager who actually cared.

I have always taken supplements and herbs to soothe my frayed nerves. Skullcap, angelica, chamomile, holy basil, ashwaganda, St John's Wort, melatonin, Tryptophan, 5htp, SAM-E, Gaba, curcumin, saffron... I am sure I am missing about a hundred others here. And vitamins! Lots and lots of vitamins. So, there has definitely been a feeling in me that I needed help. And since I was a little kid, have always taken a barrage of pills. But there were lots of traumas growing up and I am tightly wired. Maybe -- and I realize now, at 50 -- I just needed human support thru all of the traumas, not pills. I didn't have the human support and thought pills would be a shortcut to being "normal."

Right now, in W/D which seems to be worse a few months out than it was a few weeks in, my human support (friends) are telling me that it is not worth it to be unhappy and to go back on meds. But I am resolute that I will expel this poison from my body. 

I have gotten a few big pimples/acne on my face from the stress. That is a bummer.

• Mentor

A question: is there a way to gently stimulate and support the healing of the brain and creation of neuroreceptors? I quit sertraline 4 months ago after a fast taper of 4 weeks. I'd prefer to find any other way than reinstating that poison into my system. Right now, I am taking Benadryl 3x a day (tomorrow will be third day) and that seems to be helping.

Edited by scallywag
merged topics

• Moderator Emeritus

In a member's introduction topic, Altostrata wrote:

1 hour ago, Altostrata said:

You cannot force the receptors to upregulate -- we don't even know if that's the problem in situations like yours. All you can do is gently calm the nervous system and let it heal.

I've merged your post and the topic you started (Is there a way to "jump start" ...) with your introduction so that all your questions and information stay in one place.

Edited by scallywag
add comment about merged topics

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Mentor

Sigh... the more I read here, the more I see that just time and gentleness is all one can do. I had two blessed days of "windows" and am having a bad "wave" today.

Hang in there.  It can get tough, but just focus on one day at a time.  Hope you get a break soon.

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Developing patience and gentleness with one's self is probably the greatest gift (possibly the only one, ;)) of this experience.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Mentor

Thanks for the kind words. I had two days of windows, two days of waves, and -- blessedly -- feel like this is a window day. I started a low-histamine diet yesterday and am hoping improvements for improvements to my nerves. I was already off of alcohol and, the other day, intuited that coffee was too much. However, now no black or green tea and gave away all fermented food, most dairy -- still love cream in my turmeric tea), tomatoes, and (aaaagh!) avocados. Avocado toast was a mainstay for me. However, I definitely feel better today. Yesterday was only a one Benadryl day and I am hoping for the same today. We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Update: I have had at least 4 days of windows and I am so, so grateful. I know it has been only 4-1/2 months since I did a fast taper (4 weeks) of Sertraline and it has been a serious rollercoaster. And, I know deep in my heart, that waves will probably appear again. And, yes, I will be right back on here through teary eyes when that happens.

But right now, this moment, I am fully appreciating that I feel content and am making steady personal strides. It has been 3 months since I quit drinking and also 3 months since I started kundalini yoga regularly. One month since I try to make a few AA meetings per week. I also am on a loose low-histamine diet for a little over a week now. All of this helps me hold it together when things are rough.

I just wanted to put it out there that with waves, it is important to appreciate the windows. Bless us all.

Good to hear about the window days.   It's true you might have waves again -- but maybe not -- but absolutely no doubt if you have had some good window days, you will have more and increasingly more of those, :-)

200 Zoloft; 10 mg Zyprexa; 4 mg valium as of May 2021;  Valium taper: July 16: 3.5 valium; July 30: 3 mg (paused valium taper); Aug. 23: 2.5 mg
Zyprexa: July 26: 8.75 mg; Aug. 9: 7.5 mg; Aug. 30: 7.1 mg

-------
Dec 1, 2016. 10 mg zyprexa for 1.5 month. Started taper mid-Jan. 2017. Cut 1.25 mg every 2 weeks; smaller cuts 2.5 mg down. Stopped at .6 mg. May 7, 2017: zyprexa free. 
Zoloft: Dec1, 2016, 200 mg. Started taper: Jun12, 2017: 197.5 mg; Jun19,:195 mg; July 2:185mg; July 9,:180 mg; July16,: 175; July 23: 170; July 30: 165; Aug6: 160; Aug13: 155; Aug. 20: 150; Aug.27: 146 mg; Sept3: 145 mg; Sept10:143 mg; Sept17:140 mg....Nov5: 122 mg...Dec3:112.5 mg; Jan14, 2018: 95 mg...Jan28: 90 mg; Feb21:80 mg; Mar11: 75 mg; May2:70 mg; May15: 68 mg; May28: 65 mg; Jun9: 62 mg;Jun25: 60 mg:July22: 55 mg; Aug25: 45 mg. Aug28: 50 mg...Oct 28: 38 mg; Dec.4: 30 mg; Jan8,2019: 25mg; Feb6: 23.5 mg; Apr1:17.5mg; May1:1 mg; May 5: 18;  May 18:15mg; June 16:12.5mg; Sept 10:11 mg; Sept.16:10 mg; Oct. 1: 9mg; Nov. 27: 8mg; Dec.5: 7mg; Jan.1,2020, 6 mg; Feb1: 5 mg; May 1: 2.5 mg; Jn 1: 2 mg; Jy 1: 1.5 mg

• 3 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Update: the day before the solar eclipse started a 17-day run (and more, I hope) of window days. I am still not drinking (and don't plan on doing again), no caffeinated drinks, eating a low-histamine diet, and go to kundalini yoga 3-4 nights a week. I accidentally ate something higher in histamines and immediately could feel the "chemical" spiral starting to happen. I drank a bunch of magnesium powder, a probiotic and Vit C to compensate.

I also had stopped marijuana in month 4 of this WD. However, in month 5, after the eclipse, I started again. It is relaxing at present but keeping a close eye if it triggers me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Well, after a window of a good 4 weeks after the eclipse, I have slid back into a wave probably around 9/22. I am not sure what panic attacks feel like but, in the past, I have a few times had this feeling of high, high anxiety and wanting to jump out of my skin. It is so hard. I took Benadryl a bit ago to, hopefully, tamp this down.

The despair of letting my freelance occupation slide until I have no clients at present is hitting home hard. And I have not made much progress on the side project that I want to make money with (felting cremation urns). Plus I started a new romance with a man who really has his act together... it's hard not to get into the comparing game. Or feeling that my current lack of success will be the ending of this relationship. Although I know that it is not useful or accurate. Anyways, the new relationship is stressful even though he is being sweet. I want to hide like usual but I can't.

I hate being like this, so anxious.

• Mentor

Hi FarmGirlWorks,

I'm sorry to hear that you are in the middle of a wave. Hang in there.  I too am dealing with a Zoloft situation.  Mine is a taper after a CT and reinstatement. It's brutal, isn't it?

RS

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

NEW INFORMATION FOR GABAPENTIN TAPER

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

Medications: Gabapentin, Prednisone 1.5mg a day, Cortisol Inhaler daily. 

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

STARTING SENSIBLE  ZOLOFT TAPERING USING GUIDELINES FROM THIS SITE

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Mentor

Thanks for responding. Do you feel the reinstatement/sensible taper has made a difference in the severity of waves? And YES: it is ever so brutal.

• Mentor

I reinstated last year, after two months of going off of Zoloft, CT.  I had to reinstate, I was so physically sick.  For days at a time I could barely leave the house.  The reinstatement did work.  I am now tapering but I'm still have problems.  I tapered for months using the guidelines taught here, with no problem, no symptoms whatsoever.  Suddenly 8 weeks ago I started with the physical symptoms again. I'm using Meclizine when I get nauseous, however I am trying to use it very sparingly. I noticed that you take Benadryl. Does it help much?  I too feel like I am going to jump out of my skin.

I am not a health professional in any way.  I do not give medical advice.   Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a professional medical practitioner.

April 29, 2022 900 mg to 800 mg (11%), May 29, 2022 800 to 700 mg (12.5%), June 20, 2022 700 to 650mg (8%), July 20, 2022 650 to 575 (12%), August 20,  575 to 500 (13%),  Sept 20, 2020 500 to 475mg (5%) Nov 7, 2022 475 to 425 (11%), Nov 21, 2022 500mg

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

Feb. 2016 to June 2016  - Was on 150mg Zoloft.  Put on Gabapentin at 900mg a day in 2016 due to antidepressant withdrawal. 

Quit Zoloft (Sertraline) June  2016,  reinstated 50mg of Zoloft July 2016.  From July 2016  to October 2016 went from 50 mg down 2.3 mg. I up-dosed in November 2016 to 12.5 mg. Held there until January 2017 when I started a much slower taper.

Dec. 10 2016  - switched to Liquid Zoloft (Sertraline) @ 12.5 mg.   Jan. 4, 2020 1.875 mg (6.3%). Jan. 25, 2020 1.75 mgFeb. 29, 2020 1.625mg (7.10%).  Apr. 4, 2020 1.5 mg.  May 9, 2020 1.375 mg.  June 6, 2020 1.25 mg. (9.10%).  July 4, 2020 1.125 mg. (10%).  August 15, 2020 1.0 mg.  Oct 24, 2020 .875 mg.  Nov. 28, 2020 .75mgJan 16, 2021 .685mg (8.7%).  Feb 13, 2021 .62mg. March 12, 2021 .56mg.  May 1, 2021 .375mg.  May 29, 2021 .25mg. June 26, 2021 .0125mg. July 25, 2021 .065mg. August 22, 2021 .048mg.  October 2, 2021 .043mg.  October 10, 2021 .038mg.  October 23, 2021 .035mg.  October 30, 2021 .032mg.  Nov. 13, 2021 .030 mg.  Dec 4, 2021 .0285 mg.  Dec 11, 2021 .0265 mg. Dec 18, 2021 .0246 mg. Dec 25, 2021 .023mg. Jan 1, 2022. 0 mg. OFF COMPLETELY

• Mentor

Good to hear you were able to reinstate after two months; I think I may be too far along now. The Benadryl helps tamp down the anxiety so I can at least function a little bit as opposed to being catatonic. I take it in the morning... when I am feeling better my body knows it would just make me sleepy.

• 1 month later...
  • Mentor

The wave is lingering and just passed 7 months. However, last night I had a validating experience at kundalini yoga as I met a real-life person who went through zoloft/sertraline withdrawal. This site has a source of digital hope that it will all get better one day -- I read success stories like mad. But to meet someone in the "real world" who also went through this hell --  the wanting to jump out of your skin, the suicidal despair, the utter craziness -- of WD and that she was healthy. She said that zoloft/sertraline is the most difficult SSRI to kick and that it took her a good year. I don't know but from personal experience, I did get off of Prozac CT many moons ago and it was maybe a 3-4 month process (that I remember).

She also said that Lamcital has been a godsend for her. I read about it here but am scared to add a drug into my system. My PCP seems to know little about med WD. And she does seem spacy and perhaps "too happy." Her husband, the Sikh teacher of the studio, drew me aside, and suggested a nutritionist to help in the process. He said he was there for her WD and it was harrowing. I feel like the low-histamine diet and little caffeine (I still have a black tea in the morning with cardamom) is most of what a nutritionist would suggest and I cannot afford anyway.

This weekend definitely triggered me and I have noted that going off the diet and triggers will definitely make this worse. I went to a conference and was surrounded for two days by taupe walls and fluorescent lights. I ate lunches they provided which were at least histamine-rich if not high histamine. I talked to my mother on the phone. I had a cup of coffee! And it was five days of no kundalini yoga and no walks. Yeah: that all makes a huge difference in WD. Yesterday (Monday) was horrible and I went to an impromptu acupuncture session (it helped a little but I could not even sleep) before kundalini. Today I feel improved but just took a Benadryl to tamp increasing anxiety.

This is a little rambly, but just wanted to note that meeting someone who gets it and has come out the other side was incredibly valuable and came just when I needed it most.

so you mean she is not healthy at all, because she is now under lamictal which is a very strong drug also. It is discouraging to hear so, cause i have been doing kundalini since i start my tappering and it has been the only tool which has helped me to reach half of my paxil dosis. But I wonder how it is going to be when I get to 8 mg, 7, 6 mg and low... I wonder if kundalini will help me the way it has been helping me, since this woman can´t make it without a drug even having kundalini yoga and all the meditations and more powerfull kriyas available trhough the wisdom of her husband. Very frightening indeed.

• Mentor

I hear you: it is frightening to think that nothing will ever work and we'll never be healed.

She was on a "cocktail" of drugs (I do not know which ones) and said sertraline was the most difficult for her. Yes, it is discouraging that she is still on a "mood stabilizer." I guess what I really valued was the recognition and validation that this is indeed a long-term and harrowing experience. I wish I had better resources at the time to have never gotten on this hell ride but it's too late now. Just to be able to deep down know that I am not crazy was a lifesaver.

After reading about Lamictal on this forum, I have definitely decided not to take it. Kundalini is probably the most potent tool in my arsenal. That, diet, and acceptance of time.

Yes, I Wish I had known kundalini yoga back in the days when i was so depressed and panicked that the only choice to remain alive were antidepressants... if i had know..

And yes, kundalini is the most potent tool i had find to deal with this, i also have cut all grains, diary and legumes, i am trying to recover from a neverending cholitis.

i´m soooo glad that  you decide not to take lamictal, it is another devil. Stay away from all psych drugs at all cost please!

by the way, is time for me to make my daily kundalini meditation.

• ChessieCat changed the title to FarmGirlWorks: Sertraline WD - AA and kundalini yoga helping
  • Mentor

Thank you for the reminder of nutritional help... I think I could do better on that front. Rugged morning already. Deep breath, deep breath.

Sat nam.

• Mentor

This is the second day of a blessed window. When windows appear, I feel like I have woken up from a bad dream.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

And welcome back Wave, can't say I've missed you.

Yesterday was a high anxiety day and took two Benadryl to be able to get thru the day. Today I am doing a wee bit better but am considering Benadryl... going to hang on for another hour. This drug, Zoloft, just makes me so pissed... and sad. Mainly sad. I got on it because my anxiety was so bad that I physically hurt and when not going to peer-counseling sessions was trying to sleep it off. I think I was feeling the after-effects of extended PTSD. The past five years of Zoloft -- while it did get rid of the pain -- numbed me out and I slept a lot. And now, finally committing to getting off it and -- thank god -- finding this site has enabled me to travel down this rough, rough path. I just get sad and freaked about how much time has been lost to brain-numbing. This poison is the worst.

• Mentor

Oh No! I just read your article. The fish are reproducing less too, that's no surprise. Very sad, and they have no option of quitting because they're surrounded by it.

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.

• Mentor

So I had a cuppa coffee this morning (after not having one in a couple months) and -- spoiler alert -- caffeine is indeed a drug. Loose bowels, racing heartbeat, and hyperactive. It tasted amazing. But I won't be having any more for a long, long time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Mentor

Today is just as anxious as yesterday. I feel like jumping out of my skin. This sucks. I wonder why I keep going. Hope that it will get better again. Sure doesn’t feel like it now.

• Mentor

Hi FarmGirlWorks,

Sorry to hear about the anxiety.  It can be really brutal. Hang in there and hopefully you'll have a window soon.

Rachel

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER

• Mentor

Thanks, RachelSusan.... this has been the worst wave since I fast tapered sertraline. 

Hi fgw,  Anxiety is so debilitating 🙁 I'm so sorry you are suffering. You can get though this wave, just as you have before. I'm sure a window will appear soon.  The "jumping out of my skin" you describe is very familiar to me.  It's horrible.  I said to my husband the other day..."I just want to crawl into my little toe and hide...it's the only part of my body that isn't screaming in physical or emotional pain" ....weird thing to say, but that's how I felt at the time. It will get better. K 

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

• Mentor

Thanks, Kristine, for the support. I love the metaphor(?) of hiding in your little toe... that is exactly right. Yes, today I woke up early with stress and anxiety, went on a short walk in the woods with my bf and could barely function or make small talk. I feel like I look like that emoji on your phone that has eyes wide open (not here). Yes, at 8 1/2 months I hoped deep in my heart that I'd be past bad waves -- apparently, not so much.

Wow: you've come thru quite the cocktail of psych drugs. Congrats on that path.

😳...is this the one?! Know that feeling well.  So happy you managed a walk in the woods with your bf.  Small talk is not always possible and I'm sure your bf would understand.  So important to be in nature. I'm lucky enough to live next to the beach....very therapeutic. K

• Citalopram 20mg - 40mg ~ approx 2010 - October 2015 (stopped over one week)
  • Parnate  20mg - 50mg and olazapine 5mg ~ Jan 2016 - May 2016 (ceased over 2 days) 
  • Lithium 450mg-900 mg and Thyroxin ~May 2016 - May 2017
  • Diazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ 2015 - 2017
  • Oxazepam various doses (including PRN) ~ May 2016 - June 2016
  • Lurasidone 20mg ~Mid May 2016 - Mid June 2016
  • Vortioxetine 10mg - 20mg ~ 6th June 2016 - 20th July 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Amitriptyline 200mg ~July 2016 - September 2016 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Nortriptyline  (dose ?) ~October 2016 ~ November 2016 (abruptly ceased)
  • Seroquel XR 100mg - 300mg ~ May 2016 - August 2017 (ceased over 3 weeks)
  • Escitalopram 10mg - 30mg ~ August 2016 - March 2017 (ceased over 2 weeks)
  • Bupropion 300mg ~ December 2016 - May 2017 (ceased over 1 week)
  • Clonazepam 1.5mg daily ~ July 2016 (started tapering May 2017 - September 2017 currently on 0.375mg..ie 0.125mg TDS) 27th May 2018 5% 0.357mg (possible paradoxical reaction - see benzo thread)  28th June 5% 0.337mg, 28th July 10% 0.303mg, 12th September10% 0.272mg, 18th September reinstated 10% due to intolerable WD 0.303mg, 1st October-11th Oct 10% (1% reduction over 10 days) 0.272mg, 22nd October clonazepam ceased crossed over 10mg diazepam
  •  Dexamphatamine 20mg ~ December 2016 (started tapering October 2017 - tapered 1.25mg 4th Dec 2017, 1.25mg 19th Dec 2017 6.25mg, Speed up decrease due to major interaction between Dex and fluoxetine- ref to thread 10% 17th Feb 2018 5.63mg, 10% 21st Feb 2018 5.1mg, 10% 26th Feb 2018 4.5mg 10% 28th Feb 4.1mg, 10% 1st March 3.7mg, 10% 5th March 3.3mg, 10% 8th March 3mg, 10% 10th March 2.7mg, 10% 12th March 2.4mg, 10% 14th March 2.16mg, 10% 16th March 1.94mg, 10% 18th March 1.74mg, 10% 20th March 1.57mg, 10% 21st March 1.41mg, 10% 22nd March 1.26mg, 10% 23rd March 1.13mg, 10% 24th March 1.01mg, 10% 25th March 0.9mg, 10% 27th March 0.81mg, 10% 29th March 0.73mg, 10% 31st March 0.66mg, 10% 2nd April 0.59mg , 10% 4th April 0.53mg, 10% 6th April 0.47mg, 10% 8th April 0.42mg, 10%10th April 0.37mg, 11th April 0.2mg, 12th April 0.1mg (last dose) OFF! 
  • Fluoxetine 40mg ~December 2016 - 31 Jan 2018 reduced to 20mg (probable serotonin toxicity) 10th March 2020 10mg (1:1 ratio), 7th April 9mg, 1st May 8.5mg, 15th May 8.0mg, 27th May 7.5mg, 8th Sept 7.2mg, 2nd Oct 7mg, 19th Oct 6.8mg, 28th Oct 6.6mg, 5th Nov 6.4mg, 26th Nov 6mg, 2nd April 2021 5.9mg, 9th April 5.8mg, 19th April 5.75mg, 22nd April 5.7mg, 26th April 5.65mg,28th April 5.6mg, 1st May 5.5mg, 4th May 5.45mg, 7th May 5.4mg, 10th May 5.35mg, 12th May 5.3mg, 15th May 5.25mg, 18th May 5.2mg, 20th May 5.15mg, 22nd May 5mg, 10th July 4.5mg, 9th Aug 4.48mg (switched from syringe to pipette method), 12th Aug 4.46mg, 14th Aug 4.4mg, 18th Aug 4.38mg, 19th Aug 4.36mg, 20th Aug 4.34, 21st 4.32mg, 22nd 4.3mg, 23rd Aug 4mg (hold), (micro-taper) 12th Oct 2021 3.98mg, 14th Oct 3.96mg, 15th Oct 3.94mg, 16th Oct 3.92mg, 17th Oct 3.9mg, 18th Oct 3.88mg, 19th Oct 3.86mg, 21st Oct 3.84mg, 22nd Oct 3.82mg, 23rd Oct 3.8mg, 24th Oct 3.78mg, 25th Oct 3.76mg, 26th Oct 3.74mg, 27th Oct 3.72mg, (WD reached intolerable level, reinstated 0.06mg) 28th Oct 3.8mg, 7th March 2022 3.7mg, 21st March 3.6mg, 4th April 3.5mg, 18th April 3.4mg, 2nd May 3.3mg, 16th May 3.2mg, 20th June 3.1mg, 4th July 3mg, 18th July 2.9mg, 12th September 2.7mg, 18th October 2.5mg, 14th Nov 2.3mg, 12th December 2.1mg, 18th January 2023 1.9mg, 9th July 2023 1.88mg, 16th July 1.86mg, 23rd July 1.84mg, 30th July 1.82mg, 6th Aug 1.80mg, 10th Sept 1.7mg, 12th Oct 1.68mg, 23rd Oct 1.66mg, 30th Oct 1.64mg, 6th Nov 1.62mg, 13th Nov 1.60mg, (2:1 ratio) 30th Dec 1.597mg, 7th Jan 2024 1.595mg, 8th 1.592mg,  10th 1.589, 11th 1.587, 12th 1.585, 13th 1.583, 14th 1.58 cont… 5th Feb 1.56mg, 11th Feb 1.55mg, 19th Feb 1.54mg, 26th Feb 1.53mg, 4th March 1.52mg, 11th March 1.51mg, 25th March 1.50mg, 1st April 1.49mg
  • Diazepam 10mg ~ 22nd Oct 2018, 10th November 8mg, 14th Nov 7mg, 8th December 6mg, 30th December 5mg (Nocte), 7th March 2019 4.5mg,14th March 4mg, 5th April 3.5mg, 9th April 3mg, 18th April 2.5mg,1st May 2mg, 17th May 1.75mg, 25th May 1.6mg, 4th June 1.59mg, 5th June 1.58mg, 6th June 1.57mg, 7th June 1.56mg, 8th June 1.55mg, 22nd June 1.4mg, 4th July 1.2mg, 16th July 1mg, 30th July 0.8mg, 13th Aug 0.6mg, 28th Aug 0.4mg, 10th Sept 0.2mg, 23rd Sept Off! 
  • SR Circadin 2mg (melatonin) 25th May - 20th June 
  • Zolpidem 10mg 25th May (7 tablets)
  • Supplements: Magnesium glycinate (soluble - sip throughout the day) 

"Whenever you feel yourself doubting how far you can go,  just remember how far you have come.  Remember everything you have faced, all the battles you have won, and all the fears you have overcome"    Unknown 

• Mentor

Ha! Yes, that is exactly the emoji. I often think of it and how I probably look like that (but not so yellow). Yes, we were going to walk around downtown Seattle to see the xmas lights but both of us needed less anxiety and more nature. So even a short walk in the trees was better than that. The beach would be so nice and relaxing. I used to live near a beach here and would walk the dog there every morning.

• Mentor

Farmgirlworks,

I wish I had a magic wand and could make it go away for you.  I'm a Sertraline victim myself. I feel for you.  I read your previous post about coffee.  I've been avoiding caffeine, sugar, and alcohol.  I would love to have an ice tea, a big doughnut and any sort of cocktail that comes with an umbrella.  Maybe in another two or three years.:D  Ok I'm trying to have a sense of humor about this for both of us, because we need it when it gets this bad.  You might not be up to that right now, but I'm trying.  It sounds like you are taking good care of yourself during this difficult time, so that's positive.  I hope this wave passes quickly.

RS

HISTORY FOR ZOLOFT TAPER