SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

DONN: tapering zyprexa

DONN

hi in 1996 i had a motorcycle accident i broke eleven ribs ,shattered my sternum ,broke two collar bones ,ruptured my spleen ,broke four vertabrae in my back and two in my neck  and had a head injury they put me on venlafaxine for six years that i quit cold turkey with no probs

.in 2006 i went to a pain clinic and they put me on duloxatine and told me to quit taking df118 that i had been on for years it was the withdrawal effects from the dfs that had them put me on olanzapine i started seeing things ans hearing things so they uped the dose in a matter of months i was on 20mg of olanzapine and kept taking them for 10 years in that time i put on 17 stone ,stopped seeing my friends and became a hermit ,early in 2016 i quit taking duloxatine and it was a struggle it gave me panic attacks and realy bad anxiaty but i quit in the end ,quiting duloxatine woke my brain and made me realise that i was wasting my life away so i decided to quit olanzapine

in november i started tapering from 20mg in small steps every six weeks it all went fine until i got down to 0.5 mg then it all went wrong it only took three days on 0.5 before i got manic anxious and agitated i took 15mg of dyazapan which didnt really do anything  so i took 5mg of olanzapine that worked and within half an hour i was asleep for two days after my brain felt bruised and swollen  i took 0.5 mg for three more days and it happened again so im now taking 1.1mg of olanzapine and am stable again well for the last four days anyway

i guess ill have to stick at 1.1mg for a couple of months and try again  since the accident  ive come a LONG WAY they told me i would never walk again but i do  ,they told my wife i would be nothing more than a cabbage becase of my head injury and im not   . all the so called experts have done since the accident it sedate me with drugs and finally  after twenty  years ive wised up to them and dont want there drugs any more apart from the pain killers that is 

I  FOUND OUT HOW BAD THE LAST 0.5MG IS WOW MAINIA ANXIATY  I WAS ON MY WAY TO HOSPITAL   I GOT FROM 20MG DOWN TO 0.5MG WITHOUT MUCH FUSS BUT 4 DAYS AT 0.5 AND IT ALL WENT WRONG   IM BACK ON 1.1 AGAIN NOW FOR A MONTH OR SO AND THEN ILL TRY AGAIN 

Edited by mammaP
Paragraph breaks
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Donn, I have used your private message to start your introduction topic and added the reply to Andy so it would have your name to it. Very technical and the first time I have done this so quite pleased with myself B)

That is quite a journey you have been on, and you have done amazingly well to persevere and recover from such a serious accident. 

I am glad that you feel stable on 1.1 of olanzapine, it is so important now to taper off that small dose very very slowly and carefully.

You mentioned going to hospital, is that because of the olanzapine withdrawal?

Is your doctor supportive of you staying on 1.1mg? 

Have you taken any more diazepam at all or is it just the one time?

What painkillers are you taking?

It will be helpful to know because some of them can react with each other and with olanzapine. 

If you click the the quote box at the bottom of my reply you can answer my questions in my reply box.  

I am very impressed that you have taken control of your body and brain, you have done so well you are an inspiration! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

That is interesting to know. I got down to about .3 olanzapine 4 times before having to go back up to a higher amount. Perhaps with this medicine you have to really take it slow when you get down to .5 and go down by small increments over longer periods of time. If I were you I would stay at 1.1 for at least 3 - 4 months before you try tapering slowly. It will give your system time to adjust then you are more likely to have success when you do start to taper. Best of luck to you :0)

Medicine History

June 2011 I was put on 10 mg Olanzapine. I stayed on that for 7 months then went down to 5 mg for 3 months and then went down to 2.5mg and slowly went down to less than .3 every few days. I have tried to come off 4 times, each time getting down to less than .3 before having to go back on at 5mg or 2.5mg. I would cut by 50% each taper. From Jan 2015 to June 2015 I reduced from about 5mg to .3 mg. This last time I went on 2.5 mg last June 2015 until July 2, 2016. July 3, 2016 I went down to 1.25mg - withdrawal hit. Up dosed to liquid 2 mg July 23, 2016.

Medicine Current

2 mg Olanzapine as of July 23, 2016

Supplements

Omega 3 1000mg, Vitamin E 400 UI, Vitamin C 1000 mg Time Released, 200 mg Magnesium Bisglycinate, Multi Probiotic, .25 mg melatonin for 3-5 days as needed

hi only take dyazapam when i need them once every two weeks or so im afraid ill get adicted to it if i take more often and they usually work quite well. since the accident and  at the moment i take

• 40mg oxycodone twice a day
  • .90mg of dihydrocodine three times a day .
  • naproxen 500 mg two times a day
  • two 500mg paracetamol three times a day

i think ive tryed every pain killer out there at one point i was on morphine patches 100mg they seemed to work so they took me off them ? untill now i didnt realise that pain killers and psyc drugs didnt mix well  

thanks herewego for the advice i thought it would be easy to quit the olazapine untill 0.5 mg hit me i feel lucky to have found this site  it helps to know your not alone and that quitting drugs is posabal

mammap i feel for you pain is a constant reminder to me also it never sleeps or leaves no matter what drugs they give you

Edited by scallywag
put pain meds in bulleted list + insert paragraph breaks for readability;