falsestart: Citalopram help needed

falsestart

Hi everyone, 

I have been on Citalopram for 9 years. I haven't needed it for a good 4 so decided to see my GP who advised alternating 20mg and 10mg every other day. Multiple GP's have totally underestimated withdrawal challenges.

I started alternating the week before last and felt ok, probably over confidently, i decided to drop to 10mg every day 5 days ago. I have flu like symptoms, spaced out and headaches and insomnia. I'm now not sure what to do? Should i keep going as i have got this far or will ot get worse so should i take a 20mg and how often etc? I'm getting on a flight today and need to feel in control of my symptoms a bit more. Any advice would be deeply appreciated, please.:wacko:

Citalopram 20mg for 9 years for anxiety and depression after series of traumatic events. About to start tapering to 19mg from 20mg daily. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Falsestart, welcome to SA. You need to go straight back to 10mg. If you have already taken 10 today just take another 10. Keep up the 20mg for a few weeks to stabilise then we can start to work with you to taper. I am going to post this now because you need this info urgently, then I will post the tapering info in the next post. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

Most doctors do not have a clue about tapering and we get the poor suffering souls who have followed their instructions and ended up with severe withdrawal. Alternating doses is not a good thing for anyone, it puts the brain into chaos and people end up back at the doctors where they are told they need the drug for life. :angry:

When you are stable again, you can start to taper safely. We recommend tapering 10% of the current  dose with 4 weeks between drops. You will learn to listen to your body. If there are any symptoms it is important to HOLD and not make any more cuts. Pushing through will end in withdrawal and taking even longer to be off. Patoence is going to be a quality that you posess in abundance when you are finally off the drug. :)  You don't have to take it because you NEED it for your health, you need it simply because without it you will go into withdrawal. That does not make you or any of us here addicts but it does make us dependent, and that is why we need to taper carefully, to sneak it away so slowly that the brain adjusts between drops and doesn't notice. 

Here is the topic for tapering citalopram. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2023-tips-for-tapering-off-celexa-citalopram/page__pid__19887#entry19887

The 3 KIS

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6632-the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable/

We ask all our members to post their drugs and doses along with tapering history in their signatiure. You can find how to do that here...

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/12364-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thank you so much! I will take 20 today again and go from there. Being in the UK not having access to liquid citalopram is a bit annoying but I guess not as annoying as feeling sick! 

Citalopram 20mg for 9 years for anxiety and depression after series of traumatic events. About to start tapering to 19mg from 20mg daily. 

• Moderator Emeritus

One of our members lives in Oxfordshire and managed to get citalopram liquid.  My doctor told me I couldn't get liquid effexor too but I asked at the pharmacy and they told me what to ask for and I got it.  The other member did the same and it turned out to be not very expensive at all. Her doctor told her it was too expensive and couldn't be prescribed. We both got what we needed by asking the pharmacist, doctors don't know it is there. If you cant get it, it's easy to make your own liquid. A bit faffy to start but soon get used to it. I make liquid from tramadol. Should take my own advice and ask for the drops but am used to making it now. :)

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2022-making-a-celexa-solution-yourself

2002  effexor. 

Hi When I really pushed at my doctor she said she could get liquid citalopram but she said it was quite high dosage, I think she said 40 mg citalopram to 5 ml of liquid so it would be difficult for me to use, but I don't know.  Sometimes I think you have to really press for it, as it seems to be expensive?  You can try!

Joy

Jan 2023 to July 2023 250mg quetiapine

Tapered off quetiapine again over 2 months - now weight problem

• ChessieCat changed the title to falsestart: Citalopram help needed

Hi all,

If i need to drop 10% from 20mg to 19mg of Citalopram then how do i do it using a liquid solution?

I am rubbish at maths. 

• Moderator Emeritus
11 hours ago, falsestart said:

Hi all,

If i need to drop 10% from 20mg to 19mg of Citalopram then how do i do it using a liquid solution?

I am rubbish at maths. 

Have you read this topic?

Or watched the video in the first post?

Simplest way to make a liquid is to use the same number of ml as your capsule or tablet.

50 mg tablet? Use 50 ml water.

20 mg tablet? Use 20 ml water

75 mg capsule? Use 75 ml water.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet