insomniac: tapering off Seroxat/Paxil - how do I get hold of or make a liquid when it won't dissolve?

insomniac

I have been on Paxil for 20 years. I was originally put on it for reactive depression from getting fibromyalgia .  I don't need it now. I am not depressed anymore.

My problem is that there is no liquid Seroxat /Paxil available here.

I first tried bridging to Prozac. I found that moving from Seroxat to Prozac was too hard.

I then tried dissolving it in water but  my  Seroxat tablets do not suspend or dissolve in water.  They  sink to the bottom of the glass. 

Does anyone know a reputable online pharmacy that sells liquid paxil and ships to Israel?

There was a suggestion of using "Ora Plus" suspension liquid on this forum to dissolve insoluble tablets.
 I can easily buy Ora Plus  from ebay with international shipping.  What puts me off is that all the reviews of that on Amazon involve people using it to suspend tablets they give to their dogs and cats!
It also contains some nasty sounding chemicals. The shipping cost is crazy too. But that doesn't worry me as much as the other two reasons.

I take the gsk - glaxo smith kline version of Seroxat. I take 3/4 of a tablet - 15mg.  It's the same tablet distributed to the whole of the European Union.
Has anyone here successfully tapered off that without the liquid Seroxat?
If so how did you do it?

Anyone know an online pharmacy that sells liquid Paxil that ships to Israel?

1996-2012 On Clonex (clonopin) and Seroxat

2012 Tapered off Clonex

2017 Spring 15mg Seroxat...started tapering

2017 6th August 13.5mg Seroxat
2017 November returned to 15mg Seroxat due to side effects and bereavement
2019 September attempted tapering again.
2019 November Seroxat 14mg 

• ChessieCat changed the title to insomniac: Tapering off Seroxat/Paxil - how do I get hold of or make a liquid when it won't dissolve?
  • Moderator Emeritus

insomniac -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Seroxat/Paxil is not soluble in water, as you've discovered.  You can still use water titration, you just need to draw your dose from the centre of a mix that has been freshly shaken.  Working with a suspension (where there are undissolved particles) is discussed in our topic on Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

Several of our members have tapered paroxetine using a digital scale to weigh the non-standard doses. One member, brassmonkey (also a moderator), has just recently completed his taper and is adjusting very well to life at 0 mg. You can find others tapering paroxetine by clicking on the tags on this page, just below your topic title.

I can't answer your questions about getting liquid paxil across borders.  If you're interested in people using Ora-plus for HUMAN use, two members discuss using ora-plus to create liquid olanzapine (Zyprexa) starting at this link: Tapering Zyprexa.

A few topics relevant to your situation:

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Using a digital scale to measure doses.

Thank you for taking time to post a signature. Please add new doses and the date you started it as your taper progresses.  How did you reduce from 20 mg to 15?  Please put those details in your signature. 

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

My computer broke so I had to delay answering.

I just wanted to say a quick thank you.

Your answer has helped me start on a 10% taper of the Seroxat.

What you wrote about it not needing to disolve helped the most - and the links are helpful too.

In answer to your question, I never was on 20mg Seroxat .
15mg Seroxat was the maximum I have ever taken of an antidepressant drug. Doctors  tried to push me to take 20mg but  I used to have severe Irritable Bowel Syndrome and my stomach could never tolerate  higher doses.

I will be back  if I have any problems.

Thank you again

2012 Tapered off Clonex

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise for bother:
What do you do if you forget you were tapering and accidently take the full dose?
Can you still continue with the regular schedule and be OK?

Two weeks in to my first 10% reduction and I accidently took the full dose today.

Original plan was to reduce 10% per month

2012 Tapered off Clonex

• 9 months later...

No, I gave up searching for liquid Paxil.

Instead I found a video on youtube, which I have since lost. It basically said to use a nail file and scales and one of those pill holders. You need to do some maths and then prepare ahead a months supply of tablets with 10% worth of drug shaved off. Then the following month prepare ahead a months worth of drug with another 10% of the last dose shaved off, and so on.

In short you weigh a paxil tablet. Let's say it is 1.5g.
That is 1500mg.

Using a nail file you shave off 150mg. Making sure the tablet weighs 1350mg (1500-150= 1350mg)
You do this for a months supply of tablets. Each tablet will weigh slightly different so you do the maths individually for each tablet.

In 2 months I got to 20% off but could not taper more due to got horrible agitation symptoms from drug withdrawal.  Then my dad suddenly got cancer and died. I reinstated my original dose as I I could not continue tapering while in mourning.  It is stupid to taper during extreme stress and bereavement. 

I will still attempt again in the future, but this time I will go slower than 10% per month. I see that I need a slower pace than the average.

2012 Tapered off Clonex

• Administrator

We have instructions for making your own liquid Paxil in Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

Please read the links the moderators work so hard to give you. Crushing the tablet will help it dissolve.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I did read that link on how to make liquid Paxil. It seems a poor way to do it because for every tablet you have to put it in the fridge to let it dissolve for 2 hours, even if you crush it.  

I understood from the video that you have to do that every time before every single dose.

For practical purposes it  is better to have a method that prepares large amounts of doses in advance.

2012 Tapered off Clonex

I agree with you about the liquid tapering process.  It isn't feasible for people with jobs and buzzy/traveling to try a liquid taper every day.  I have taken chemistry classes and dissolving even salt in water took way to long to have a consistent uniform dissolve when time stricken .  I am using a precision scale for now because it doesnt really add more time every night and have no idea what I am going to do later.

My Intro FB Zyprexa 2015-September 2018

1st time I tried to come straight off of 10mg Zyprexa I was hospitalized for insane insomnia.

Current - Abilify Maintena & L Theanine(for akathisia)

• Moderator Emeritus

You could always make it the night before.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi insomniac, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to insomniac: tapering off Seroxat/Paxil - how do I get hold of or make a liquid when it won't dissolve?

I have not succeeded.

I gave up liquid tapering and bought a digital scale.  I managed to  get to about 12 or 3mg from 15mg.  Then 3 months later my Dad died and I felt depressed about that and went back to my original dose of  15mg. When the depression got very bad from bereavement I learned not to raise the tablet more and instead took saffron supplement. It helped better than raising seroxat would have. I have really given up trying to get off seroxat for now because it is so hard. It is harder than getting of benzopines.

2012 Tapered off Clonex

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi insomniac, 

I’m so sorry to hear about the death of your dad, that must be very hard for you.

Could you please update your signature. Thank you. How are you doing now? 

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• 6 months later...

I was struggling before but now want to restart tapering. I have one question : In the past I have been helped a lot with depression with Saffron extract:
https://il.iherb.com/pr/Life-Extension-Optimized-Saffron-with-Satiereal-60-Vegetarian-Capsules/23953

The problem with Saffron is that you have to take it 6 weeks on and then 6 weeks off. Would it help tapering?

2012 Tapered off Clonex

I now want to restart tapering. I have one question :

Would it be OK to take Saffron while tapering off Seroxat?
https://il.iherb.com/pr/Life-Extension-Optimized-Saffron-with-Satiereal-60-Vegetarian-Capsules/23953

Or would it make it harder to taper?

The problem with Saffron is that you have to take it 6 weeks on and then 6 weeks off it because it is bad to be on it more than 6 weeks.

2012 Tapered off Clonex

Saffron has a reputation of being effective for depression and anxiety, and for a healthy person it would probably be fine.  However, it works by raising the level of serotonin in the body, so in that regard it is just a natural SSRI.  It would not be a good idea to take it along with Seroxat.  It's side effects alone could cause problems as you couldn't tell what was a Saffron side effect and what was ADWD. Then there would be the problem of serotonin toxicity that could possibly happen.  I would stay away from it.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I have no side effects on saffron at all. I took it for a short time together with the seroxat in the past.

But now I understand that it will complicate the tapering process. I'll keep away from it then. Thanks :)

2012 Tapered off Clonex