Monkeyjedi: Coming off 2.5mg of olanzapine

Monkeyjedi

Hi all

I was going to attempt to do this slowely by dropping to 1.25 an extra day each week but i felt more unwell after the first attempt. So i decided to see what would happen if i just dropped to 1.25 from 2.5. I did this last night. I am thinking if i can manage it then great if not i will reinstate at 2.5 and drop more slowely. I have asked my psychiatrist for liquid to do this but not got a reply. I really need of this med as my menstral cycle is totally off and i need to lose weight for surgery. Also i feel unlike myself alot. It is hard to tell the cause of the later as i am on 3 other meds but i have been on these longer so cannot remove them fastt particularly the diazepam. 

Ive been on olanzapine for 5 months at 2.5mg. Am desperately hoping that because if short duration of use,low dosage and the cushion of other meds this may be possible to do relatively fast.

Any advice or experience is very welcome.

I am currently on

150 mg XR of venlaflaxine started dec 16

45mg of mirtazapine started at 15mg oct 15 i attempted to reduce this is march 17 by dropping to 37.5mg but reinstated after 2 days.

10mg of diazepam started aug 15 but have been on and off this since jan 07. My last attempt to come off this caused me to become very unwell and it had to be reinstated

2.5mg of olanazapine - i reduced this last night to 1.25mg started march 17.

I have previously been on citalopram with i taper in dec 16 and started on venlaflaxine straight away. This went ok.

I am on these meds for anxiety and depression which became severe peri natal illness during pregnancy and after having my son 18 months ago.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Monkeyjedi: Coming off 2.5mg of olanzapine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Monkeyjedi -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Thank you for jumping in to post an introduction. Thanks especially for creating a posting signature.

Sorry to post right away with a rather strong warning, but away I go:  I urge you to consider returning to your dose of 2.5 mg for at least a week.  Let yourself get good and steady on that. You say that when you've dropped to 1.25 mg previously you have not done well.  The same problems are likely to occur. 5 months on this medication is not a trivial duration.

A 50% reduction is a very large decrease. We suggest that people decrease their dose by no more than 10% once per month to minimize the risk of withdrawal symptoms. For more information about withdrawal symptoms and tapering, please read

Some people start to notice improvements even with small (10% or less) dose reductions. 

When people are taking more than one medication, we ask that they get a report of the drug interactions effects and post it. Put your drugs into the interactions checker and then copy + paste the report as a new reply here in your introduction topic. This is much easier on a computer (desktop or laptop) than on a phone. 

Drugs-dot-com Drugs Interactions Checker.

Check again with a pharmacy about whether olanzapine is available as a liquid.  They are likely to respond more quickly than your psychiatrist. A quick scan of the MHRA list of licensed formulations of olanzapine shows no commercial liquids.

People do make their own liquids using a compounding solution, Ora-Plus, because olanzapine is not soluble in water.  Here are some relevant links:

Tips for tapering off Zyprexa (olanzapine)

Making a liquid from a tablet or capsules .

Using an oral syringe and other tapering techniques].

Start of posts discussing DIY liquid olanzapine using Ora-plus and DMSO.

Many people find it helpful during tapering and withdrawal to supplement with omega 3 fatty acids and/or magnesium.  Pick one or the other and start with a low dose, working your way up slowly over several weeks.

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil).

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Thank you very much for your response. I will look at all of that and post what you mentioned.

I am aware that a 10% taper is recommended and with every other med i plan to follow that or slower. I have done this 50% drop as on the one night i dropped to 1.25mg the next day i felt better than i had in a while. I then went back to 2.5 mg and have felt worse than ever since then. Very sluggish and near constant tension headaches. I dropped to 1.25mg last night and have felt better today. I have had some nausea and feel at bit heightened and only now in the evening am i starting to get a headache. 

I am very willing to reinstate if this all goes wrong but i want to try and see if i am one if the lucky ones with this med. I will stay on 1.25mg for 4 to 8 weeks. My psychiatrist is reluctant to prescribe liquid. I may try to cut down to 0.625mg next. Or look at making a liquid but i feel nervous about it dispersing evenly.

How long do you think it will take before i know if i have got away with this cut. Im thinking 2 weeks i should know. Interested how i sleep tonight. Im on mirtazapine as well so hopefully i will.

I am currently on

45mg of mirtazapine started at 15mg oct 15 i attempted to reduce this is march 17 by dropping to 37.5mg but reinstated after 2 days.

10mg of diazepam started aug 15 but have been on and off this since jan 07. My last attempt to come off this caused me to become very unwell and it had to be reinstated

I have previously been on citalopram with i taper in dec 16 and started on venlaflaxine straight away. This went ok.

I am on these meds for anxiety and depression which became severe peri natal illness during pregnancy and after having my son 18 months ago.

Skip to Content

Drugs.com

Drug Interaction Report

Drug interactions for the following 4 drug(s):

My Interactions List (Unsaved)Email | Print | Save | Create new list
diazepam
mirtazapine
olanzapine
venlafaxine

Interactions between your selected drugs

Major

venlafaxine  mirtazapine

Applies to: venlafaxine, mirtazapine

Using venlafaxine together with mirtazapine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major

diazepam  olanzapine

Applies to: diazepam, olanzapine

Ask your doctor before using diazePAM together with OLANZapine. This can cause low blood pressure, shallow breathing, weak pulse, muscle weakness, drowsiness, dizziness and slurred speech. This may be more likely to occur in older adults or those with a debilitating condition. You should be counseled to avoid activities requiring mental alertness until you know how these medications will affect you. If your doctor prescribes these medications together, you may need a dose adjustment or special tests to safely use these medications together. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

diazepam  venlafaxine

Applies to: diazepam, venlafaxine

Using diazePAM together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

diazepam  mirtazapine

Applies to: diazepam, mirtazapine

Using diazePAM together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

venlafaxine  olanzapine

Applies to: venlafaxine, olanzapine

Using venlafaxine together with OLANZapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

No other interactions were found between your selected drugs.
Note: this does not necessarily mean no interactions exist. Always consult with your doctor or pharmacist.

Other drugs and diseases that your selected drugs interact with

Interactions between your selected drugs and food

Moderate

diazepam  food

Applies to: diazepam

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with diazePAM and lead to potentially dangerous side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor. Do not drink alcohol while taking diazePAM. This medication can increase the effects of alcohol. You may feel more drowsy, dizzy, or tired if you take diazePAM with alcohol. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

venlafaxine  food

Applies to: venlafaxine

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of venlafaxine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with venlafaxine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of venlafaxine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

mirtazapine  food

Applies to: mirtazapine

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of mirtazapine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with mirtazapine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of mirtazapine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

olanzapine  food

Applies to: olanzapine

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of OLANZapine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with OLANZapine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of OLANZapine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Therapeutic duplication is the use of more than one medicine from the same drug category or therapeutic class to treat the same condition. This can be intentional in cases where drugs with similar actions are used together for demonstrated therapeutic benefit. It can also be unintentional in cases where a patient has been treated by more than one doctor, or had prescriptions filled at more than one pharmacy, and can have potentially adverse consequences.

Duplication

Psychotropic agents

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'psychotropic agents' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes fourmedicines belonging to the 'psychotropic agents' category:

• diazepam
  • mirtazapine
  • olanzapine
  • venlafaxine

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication

Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes four medicines belonging to the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category:

• diazepam
  • mirtazapine
  • olanzapine
  • venlafaxine

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication

Antidepressants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes twomedicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

• mirtazapine
  • venlafaxine

Drug Interaction Classification

The classifications below are a guideline only. The relevance of a particular drug interaction to a specific patient is difficult to determine using this tool alone given the large number of variables that may apply.

Major Highly clinically significant. Avoid combinations; the risk of the interaction outweighs the benefit.
Moderate Moderately clinically significant. Usually avoid combinations; use it only under special circumstances.
Minor Minimally clinically significant. Minimize risk; assess risk and consider an alternative drug, take steps to circumvent the interaction risk and/or institute a monitoring plan.

Do not stop taking any medications without consulting your healthcare provider.

Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided by Multum is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. Multum's information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill, knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Multum Information Services, Inc. does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information Multum provides. Copyright 2000-2017 Multum Information Services, Inc. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.

Drugs.com Mobile Apps

The easiest way to lookup drug information, identify pills, check interactions and set up your own personal medication records. Available for Android and iOS devices.

Explore Apps

Drugs.com provides accurate and independent information on more than 24,000 prescription drugs, over-the-counter medicines and natural products. This material is provided for educational purposes only and is not intended for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Data sources include Micromedex® (updated Aug 2nd, 2017), Cerner Multum™ (updated Aug 2nd, 2017), Wolters Kluwer™ (updated July 5th, 2017) and others. To view content sources and attributions, please refer to our editorial policy.

I am currently on

Also i take omega 3 twice a day and magnesium citrate twice a day as well as vit d, zinc and a probiotic multi vit. I do not drink alchohol or caffine and have a healthy diet. I do smoke and could do with doing more excercise but i do walk a reasonable amount.

I am finding the combination of these meds quite disabling and am hoping to remove the olanzapine relatively fast as all the others will take years to remove.

I am currently on