Altostrata

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

alyheartsux3

Has anyone gotten tingling on their face after taking Magnesium? (lip, nose, etc)  Hard to connect it to Magnesium, or new withdrawal symptoms. Magnesium seems to help with my anxiety though so I want to keep using it anyways. 

LexAnger

I did. Like twitching on lips so I stopped.

alyheartsux3

Does it just take some time for your body to desensitize? Like later in withdrawal it is easier to use supplements like magnesium... 

LexAnger

I'm much more sensitized since being off completely. Can't take anything except for healthy food. I hope once the body is eventually healed, the super sensitivity will be gone. I heard ppl did so that's the hope.

dj2010
15 hours ago, alyheartsux3 said:

Does it just take some time for your body to desensitize? Like later in withdrawal it is easier to use supplements like magnesium... 

this was the case for me, this time last year I could not tolerate many supplements, if I took fish oil in the morning I would not sleep and the tiniest amount of magnesium left me feeling wired, I can now tolerate all supplements at any dose,

I believe adding tiny amounts of different supplements over time has helped my system learn that these things are not a threat and helped it desensitise, that is just my theory

bhasski
On 5/30/2018 at 12:32 PM, neroli said:

I tried Magnesium, too, wanting to see if it would ease up the tightness in my leg muscles..  Supposed to be natural Magnesium from the see - no oxide.  Took half dosage first time (250mg elemental magnesium), seemed to interrupt sleep.  Stopped.  Week later took 5th dosage (100mg) - wired within half an hour, disturbed sleep.  Ditching Magnesium.

I also have bad experience with magnesium always when taken orally.

Try topically as magnesium (Mgchloride + water)

neroli
1 hour ago, bhasski said:

Try topically as magnesium (Mgchloride + water)

Thanks, bhaaski.  I tried it topically in moisturising lotion and again seemed to get wired,  Think I 'm going to give it a miss for now.  I"ve checked my diet and I'm eating a magnesium-rich diet, so will go with that for now.

alyheartsux3

Can Magnesium cause withdrawal? I was taking it for a month or so, thought it was causing tingling on my face, so I started taking less and now all of my symptoms are worse. (tingling all over my body/face, and other symptoms) I've been Taking Natural Calm Magnesium powder citrate in small portions in water throughout the day. 

Rbvdk

Hey hope it's ok to ask here, I can't really find any other supplement posts and I didn't think this question would be worth making a new thread for lol! :) Just wondering if anyone knows if potassium and calcium are good or bad for withdrawals? :)

Freesia

Do you take magnesium forever? or is there a point at which you could stop I've actually tried glycinate  and Taurate.

Altostrata

Magnesium is always good for you, we don't get enough in our food. After you recover from withdrawal, you may want to take a bit less of it.

voyteck

1. After a few days of trial and error, I can say I am adding Mg to my daily regimen (and I am mad at myself I didn't stick to it earlier.). It sometimes helps with tension/restlessness. 120 - 150 mg of lactate seems enough.

Unfortunately, it doesn't last long and it seems I would need to take it 2-3 times daily. And here comes another problem. Yesterday I took 560 mg of Mg throughout the day (various forms) and got diarrhea today (by the way discovered way for my obstructions :) ). Unfortunately, higher amounts weren't more calming.
So, my safe dose seems to be max. 360 mg
a day (e.g 3x 120 mg).
I'll be experimenting with other doses forms later (carbonate, chelate).

2. Has anybody tried THREONATE? Supposedly it crosses BBB. Worth trying? Or a fad?

EthanC

@voyteck

2) I'm wondering the same thing. Been reading extensively about Magnesium L-Threonate (Magtein). I want it to work so bad but I'm afraid it might be too good to be true, or I get dependent on it (like SSRIs)

It does share some similar qualities that antidepressants provide and that worries me.

Like how it takes ~1 month for you to really notice a difference, some excerpts show people going through withdrawals like having difficulties sleeping, etc.

I just ordered some on Amazon and will be trying it, hoping it will help my cognitive function and anxiety overall.

I'll be back to report the outcome, wish this guinea pig good luck.

voyteck

@EthanC
1. Yes, please report back on threonate.
2. I was moderately pleased with some effects of "normal" (I already tries 3 forms) Mg during the day - however random. But since a few days my sleep got worse again (wake up early morning and cannot get to sleep again - which I was already able to do with some mild "sedatives" like Mg, (100-150 mg), B6p5p, eating a meal, mild lemon balm tablet).
I am taking saying it's due to Mg, just taking into consideration (remember at least 1 person who reported it disturbed her sleep).

VincentV

It could be coincidence, but since taking magnesium and Vit B6 and the fish oil my anxiety is much less than it was. Its been about 8 weeks since i had anxiety bad and ive been taking supliments for about ten i think. 

VincentV

Ok thats interesting. Unfortunately the magnesium I take containes vit B6. I'l try and just look for magnesium 

lavendertealatte

Are there any good studies on magnesium for anxiety?  Seems promising but I'm afraid it's placebo and that the effects would wear off.

The study above doesn't have a sham treatment group to compare it to which is what's unfortunate.

I took a liquid magnesium yesterday, the label says "magnesium carbonate" but I didn't see that mentioned in this thread at all.  It seems to help with anxiety but it's too early to tell.  I can't tell if I'm taking too much because I already get IBS-D every day anyway since tapering off SSRI.   Also want to know if this is safe to do in the long run.  

Meeting with my pdoc today.

Snowyowl16

Ugh the melatonin I take has b6 as well. 🙁

nick1990

“Therefore, increased sympathetic nervous system (SNS) activity could lead to increased Mg excretion. This suggests that stressful activities result in lowered Mg content of the CNS and potentially and increased risk of depression.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507265/

Empath

This thread seems to have stopped in 2012 and the recommendations for Magnesium Glycinate cite a dose of no more than 100mg daily. When shopping online for Magnesium Glycinate (today) I found that it is mostly sold as 400mg.  This also seems to be the FDA recommendation. Do you have an update on the daily dose of Magnesium Glycinate? 

Thank you in advance.

julia955

If anyone has digestive issues with magnesium, I'd highly recommend "ReMag" (magnesium chloride liquid supplement, can be found on Amazon). I've been taking 300mg per day and have no issues. Supposedly it bypasses digestion because its made up of smaller particles and is liquid and just gets absorbed instantly. For me it also produces a fairly instantaneous calming effect which is especially great right before bed or whenever I feel anxious. I put 1/2 teaspoon in 16 oz. of water and I actually like the taste.

JayUT

I have had to experiment with Mg dosage and brand to find optimal intake without GI issues.

Thus far I have settled on the following approach:

1. Ultima Electrolyte powder in divided doses throughout the day. Probably amounts to 100-200 mg Mg Citrate
  2. Multi-vitamin contains 20 mg TRAACS Mg Biglycinate
  3. Doctor's Best TRAACS Mg Lysinate-Glycinate - 100 mg at lunch and 100 mg at dinner
  4. Homemade Mg Chloride Spray. Typically 10 sprays in morning, 10 sprays in afternoon, and 10 sprays at night. I don't know how much actually gets absorbed.

This totals approximately 320 to 420+ milligrams of Mg of various forms per day. I noticed a very dramatic calming affect during the first 2 weeks of replenishment. The affects have become more subtle as replenishment has continued, but I still see gains at a slower pace.

Also, I have tested Pure Encapsultions, KAL, and Solray. All are great choices. Doctor's Best seems most compliant with my GI system.

BfromNJ

I am trying to see if there is a connection now to an uptick in my symptoms and magnesium in foods.  anyone else find they are sensitive to not only the supplements, but any foods that are high in magnesium, such as bananas, nuts, etc? 

I have a pocket guide that actually shows me what foods I should avoid for certain medications, but im not sure if its because of the magnesium content or some other reason of an interaction.  Maybe the way the mediation is metabolized.    But bananas are in there.  one of my favorites fruits too.  :( 

ChessieCat
6 hours ago, BfromNJ said:

I am trying to see if there is a connection now to an uptick in my symptoms and magnesium in foods. 

The easiest way to do this is to eliminate the high & medium magnesium foods for several weeks and then reintroduce them.  You would have to ensure that you keep everything else as close to the same as possible so that you minimise variables.

BfromNJ

Thanks chessie I'm gonna have to look up what is high and medium.  I know bananas are a big one.  Of course my favorite fruit.  😥  and nuts.  Another favorite.   Oh and avocado.   Geez what do I have left?  Lol

planifolia

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18799816

Talks about how the sedating effect of magnesium may involve GABA receptors. If this is the case I am just wondering if it will affect someone adversely in benzo withdrawal?