Altostrata

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Vegalia

Hello,

I have problèms with bad neuro-emotions : dépression, restlessness, rage...

Today I took a bath with lavanda essential oïl and it was good for me.

I have seen that baths with Epsom salt could relax.

I wonder me if it is possible to have bad réactions with baths with Epsom salt?

Thank you. :)

Vega 

brassmonkey

With magnesium it is quite possible to get too much of a good thing, which will lead to a paradoxical reaction.  Epsom salts baths are usually a good thing as long as you don't over do them. Use only a cup of salts in the bath and limit them to every other day and you should be fine.  If you see an increase in anxiety the do even less.

Vegalia

Hello Brassmonkey,

Thank you So much for your quick answer. :)

I will follow your advice.

Thank you very much 

Vega 

FirstStepFaith

A lot of my own research on the general web about magnesium (and most supplements really) suggest that our first source should be to try and increase food sources of minerals. I'm also learning that magnesium is not good if you over do it. I'm trying to eat more food sources of magnesium (bananas, avocado, almonds) but I'm still wondering if I should add a supplement too given current neurological circumstnaces. Does anyone have any experience with how to balance/manage these? I'm using the same relative strategy for omega 3's with chia seeds, walnuts, etc. but that's a different thread ;) 

gardenlady

I take 500 mg of magnesium per day but haven't noticed that it's helped any of my awful withdrawal symptoms.  Same with Omega 3 fish oil...I take it but haven't received any noticeable benefit. 

Colonial
On 10/7/2011 at 3:22 PM, Altostrata said:

Doctor's Best also offers a high-quality chelated magnesium glycinate.

I've found one of the recommended brands on Amazon at  lower dosages, which would help me start closer to the 25mgs recommended.

Doctor's Best High Absorption Magnesium Glycinate Lysinate, 100% Chelated, TRACCS, Not Buffered, Headaches, Sleep, Energy, Leg Cramps, Non-GMO, Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, 100 mg, 240 Tablets.

Ingredients

Magnesium (elemental) (from 2,000 mg magnesium glycinate lysinate chelate) 100 mg, Microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, magnesium stearate (vegetable source), stearic acid, modified cellulose (coating).

I'm just not sure what the "LYSINATE" Means.  It seems to "pop up" with the glycinate in other formulas as well, is this ok?

Altostrata

I don't know what it means. It has some association with lycine and glycine.

LaurafromCT

Please be VERY careful buying anything consumable on Amazon.  I used to be an Amazon seller and it's extremely easy for counterfeiters to sell bogus items, and Amazon does nothing to try and prevent this.  Here are some tips to avoid counterfeit items in general: Every time you order, check the RECENT reviews and make sure nobody says anything about the product looking different from how it used to look, or looking sketchy. Look at customer pictures.  When you get the product, examine the label carefully with a magnifying glass and make sure there are no typos (misspelled words).  If it comes in a box, make sure the lot number on the box matches the bottle. If possible, call the manufacturer and validate the lot number.  Buying counterfeit batteries is one thing but with supplements please be careful. 💗  

Oh and "Amazon's Choice" is a meaningless designation.  It is assigned by a computer. 

Colonial

Thanks Laura!

I emailed the Doctor's best company directly for more info on the  lycine and glycine issue, I will post when I have a reply.

They also have what is supposedly a "brain formula" magnesium:   Magtein® magnesium-L-threonate :

Doctor’s Best Brain Magnesium uses magnesium-L-threonate from Magtein® which is a unique and highly bioavailable magnesium capable of crossing the blood-brain barrier.*

"According to animal research, the Magtein® magnesium-L-threonate in Doctor’s Best Brain Magnesium has been shown to effectively raise magnesium levels in the brain, in contrast to other magnesium compounds. Of six magnesium compounds studied, researchers found that magnesium-L-threonate was the superior compound able to enhance memory." 

If interested, You can read more about this particular formulation at their website:   https://www.drbvitamins.com/products/brain-magnesium/drb-00283

IanM

Does anyone know if it's 'normal' for magnesium glycinate powder to have a very strong fishy taste? I poured the contents of two capsules into a water bottle this morning, and the taste was horrendous. I googled around but didn't find anything definitive. 

Thanks all.

Altostrata

I have never tastes magnesium glycinate. Glycine has a pleasant sweet taste.

If you don't like the taste, how about adding something, such as lemon or a little honey?

We have recommended magnesium citrate for sipping in water. It has a citrusy taste.

IanM
6 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

I have never tastes magnesium glycinate. Glycine has a pleasant sweet taste.

If you don't like the taste, how about adding something, such as lemon or a little honey?

We have recommended magnesium citrate for sipping in water. It has a citrusy taste.

Thanks, Altostrata. I could add a sweetener, but I'm more concerned that the product has gone rancid. I'm going to try contacting the manufacturer and see what they can tell me.

IanM
On 3/12/2020 at 11:40 AM, IanM said:

Thanks, Altostrata. I could add a sweetener, but I'm more concerned that the product has gone rancid. I'm going to try contacting the manufacturer and see what they can tell me.

I contacted the manufacturer, and they said magnesium glycinate definitely tastes awful, so I guess it's not the best choice for sipping in unflavoured water.

Norseman

Tomorrow is supposed to be the first day of my Venlafaxine 10% taper. I started taking a magnesium supplement two days ago and experience some bad reactions. My anxiety levels (that has been quite tolerable) has worsened a bit. But the worst is that I nearly have not been able to sleep for the past two nights. The first day I took 100 mg at noon, and the second day 50 mg at noon. The supplement has added B6.

Should I try 25 mg today or just stop them for now? Anyone with experience?

ChessieCat

I'd be stopping it straight away.  B vitamins can be activating, especially B6.  I also would wait for a bit before making the venlafaxine reduction.  Let things settled before you make any changes.  Only ever make one change at a time.

Try to get some magnesium which is just magnesium, and only try a small dose to see how you react.  Note that some combine calcium and magnesium, but the calcium counteracts the magnesium.

Norseman

Thank you @ChessieCat

I will try to find a magnesium without added vitamins. Do you think I should put off the reduction until I can stabilize with magnesium and omega-3? This might take some time, but I understand the need to do do controlled changes.

ChessieCat

It really depends on your own situation.  If you need to reduce your drug for a reason, then that would be a priority.  If not, then it might be better to get yourself set up with the magnesium and omega 3 before commencing your taper.

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

Nevertoolate

I took one of these tablets two nights ago and I'm still feeling the side effects. Slight headache (that awful weird head feeling) a bit shaky and thumping heart 😥

After reading this thread it seems the dose is WAY too high even if I only took half a tablet. Am I right in thinking this? 

Any advice please.

Each tablet contains:
Magnesium amino acid chelate (Meta Mag® - Magnesium diglycinate) 500mg
Equiv. elemental Magnesium 50mg
Magnesium amino acid chelate 750mg
Equiv. elemental Magnesium 150mg
Zinc sulfate monohydrate 19mg
Equiv. elemental Zinc 7mg
Pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B6) 16.6mg
Chromic chloride hexahydrate 1mg
Equiv. elemental Chromium 200 microgram
Selenomethionine 33 microgram
Equiv. elemental Selenium 13 microgram

ChessieCat

If this is the only change that you have made, then any issues are more than likely to be from the tablet.  Because you have taken a complex it is not possible to know for sure what you have reacted to.

36 minutes ago, Nevertoolate said:

Pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B6) 16.6mg

However, B vitamins, especially B6, can be activating.  See hypersensitive-to-b-vitamin-or-b-vitamin-complex

See also:    the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

I also suggest that you use a search engine and add survivingantidepressants.org to the search term and find the SA topics for the other ingredients.

Nevertoolate

Thank you ChessieCat 

To be honest I didn't even notice the B6 😥 

Don't think I'll take one again in the near future. Very unpleasant. 

I'll check out the other ingredients. 

ChessieCat

@Nevertoolate

When I last bought my magnesium I was trying to find a brand that was cheaper, but they all had something added and yes, B6 was in some of them.

Keep an eye open for the ones which contain calcium.  To get the benefit from magnesium they need to be take about 2 hours apart.

I buy Swisse brand. (no affiliation)

Nevertoolate

Thank you so much for the tips. 

Should've stuck with Swisse I've used their products in the past and always liked them.

So calcium and magnesium are better taken separately?  Is that what you mean? 

What mg magnesium ones do you use please? 

ChessieCat
2 hours ago, Nevertoolate said:

So calcium and magnesium are better taken separately?  Is that what you mean? 

Yes, if you are taking magnesium for the calming effect.  If you look you will see that this topic it is titled Magnesium natures calcium channel blocker.

2 hours ago, Nevertoolate said:

What mg magnesium ones do you use please? 

Swisse Magnesium (magnesium citrate) 150mg.  I take 1/2 tablet morning and night.  There have a few times when I have been feeling a bit more on edge and I have taken an extra 1/2 tablet.

Nevertoolate

Ah yes the title meaning didn't click 🙄🙄 oops!

Awesome. Thanks again for the help. It's really appreciated x🌸🏵🌺🐞🐝

neverknew

@Altostrata It seems so strange that someone would have a paradoxical reaction to magnesium but I guess I have.  I frequently have paradoxical reactions to things; I don't know why. I took 250 mg of magnesium Monday night and had weird sensations. I didn't take anything else that night so it had to be the magnesium. I felt like it was trying to calm me down but at the same time it was stimulating. I had skin tingling and slight restless leg sensations. I did get to sleep but it was all very strange. I had high hopes for magnesium because it is so necessary and I was hoping it would calm me down and help me sleep. Is there any way I would get used to it? Perhaps if I took a very small dose?

ChessieCat
17 minutes ago, neverknew said:

I took 250 mg of magnesium

From the very first post of this topic Alto wrote:

On 10/8/2011 at 6:22 AM, Altostrata said:

Start with 25mg. (I was never able to take more than 50mg-75mg at a time, but others can take much more.) To start, you will want to get 100mg tablets you can cut up or 100mg capsules you can open, so you can try a lower dose and gradually increase if you wish.

neverknew

@ChessieCat  thanks. The capsules I have are 100 mg of elemental magnesium, since they are magnesium glycinate (500 mg total). Is that what you mean, to start with a 100 mg capsule? I opened up the capsule and tried to divide it into quarters because I don't have a drug scale. Might not be a bad idea to get one - does anyone have a good one they could recommend?

Do you think it is the magnesium that gave me problems- it wouldn't be the glycine, would it? Has anyone ever had trouble with glycine? I always assumed glycine to be so mild and calming. 

Altostrata

If you get a bad reaction, take less magnesium at a time.

ChessieCat
7 hours ago, neverknew said:

I opened up the capsule and tried to divide it into quarters because I don't have a drug scale. Might not be a bad idea to get one - does anyone have a good one they could recommend?

It is not necessary to be exact with magnesium like it is with psychiatric and some other drugs.  You do not need to get a scale to weigh the magnesium.

You could see if the contents dissolve in water.

7 hours ago, neverknew said:

Do you think it is the magnesium that gave me problems- it wouldn't be the glycine, would it? Has anyone ever had trouble with glycine? I always assumed glycine to be so mild and calming. 

First thing to do is to try starting with a small amount.  Taking magnesium for our purpose (ie during tapering and withdrawal) it is better taking throughout the day, not as one daily dose.

FindRest
On 5/9/2015 at 8:40 PM, Cdav said:

but then my whole body started twitching during my sleep and had weird dreams, when I woke up I was full of brain zaps (which had already been gone for some months). I read before that Shanti had made a connection to this. Anyone else gets this symptom with magnesium? 

Yes, I had a very similar experience on less than 25mg of magnesium glycinate.  Had gone a couple of months without any major symptoms. The next morning I woke up with full-body vibrations along with my arms jerking side to side (first and only time this has ever happened). The body vibrations lasted 24/7 for two days then went away quickly.