Altostrata

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

lithiumnomore

Thanks, Alto. Looking back at my symptoms there's some correlation between magnesium and symptoms. Could be I was desperate and trying new things when I was worse. I'm suspicious of the magnesium because I'm getting the facial flushing feeling.

Diagnosed bipolar in 2000 at 18, following manic episode precipitated by high prescribed doses of Sertaline. Took lithium and/or other mood stabilizers and antidepressants through 2010. Stable on lithium monotherapy from 2011 to 2018. Started prozac @ 20 mg in spring

Lithium - tapered from 900 mg to 0 mg, reducing by 300 mg every few months, last dose in November 2018.

Prozac - 20 mg to 10 mg in May 2019, 10 mg to 0 mg in November 2019. Reinstated for one week due to intense anxiety and insomnia in Feb 2020. 

Current symptoms: windows of feeling alive again, like dusting off the cobwebs of my soul, but insomnia, anxiety, panic attacks, poor concentration continue. Desperate to sleep. 

Lemanna
Posted (edited)

Very confused over magnesium whether it"s OK?

Really confused over whether magnesium is Ok to take. Welcome anyone's experience of taking it, have read all the links on here already. Counsellor who's been through withdrawal and this site recommend it. But face group I belong to seem to view as the devil's food keep saying will make me worse. I've been taking it 3 days and so far OK. Only taking 50mg, recommended dose is 200MG? I had the most dreadful wave last week even though about reinstating zopiclone. Has eased a bit last few days. Previously any reactions to supplements have come on within about 4 days

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Made to CT zopiclone in Jan 19  after 12 years by GP, caused intrusive thoughts

Tried Citalopram Oct 19 Made hair fall out

Switched to Sertraline Dec19 had severe adverse reaction caused OCD with compulsions

Went back to Citalopram Feb 20 awful mental symptoms still

Weaned off April 20 completed stopped in June 20

Been in hell ever since.

ChessieCat

What are you taking the magnesium for?

If you want to take it for it's calming effect, then it is better to take it throughout the day.

You also need to make sure that you get plain magnesium which doesn't contain any other supplements.  Some contain calcium which cancels out the calming effect of magnesium.  If you do take a calcium supplement separately they need to be taken 2 hours apart.  Some magnesium has vitamins added, especially B6, which can be activating.

When starting anything new it is best to try a small dose first to see how you react.  And it is best to only try something new one at a time, otherwise if you feel worse you will not know what caused the worsening.  And you should only make one change at a time for the same reason.

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

Being very patient.  I'll get there - slowly.  ETA mid 2021

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (mild Serotonin Toxicity)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

ChessieCat
15 minutes ago, Lemanna said:

Really confused over whether magnesium is Ok to take. Welcome anyone's experience of taking it, have read all the links on here already. Counsellor who's been through withdrawal and this site recommend it. But face group I belong to seem to view as the devil's food keep saying will make me worse.

Some members find it helpful, other find it doesn't seem to do anything and some find that they feel worse.  So, different people react differently and there is no way to know how you will be affected.  Starting with a low dose like I posted above is that only way to find out if it is beneficial for you or not.

I have run out of magnesium several times and have noticed my irritability worse each time.  And when I restarted taking it I noticed an improvement in my irritability.

ADs:  25 years - 1 unknown, Prozac (caused muscle weakness), Zoloft/sertraline; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after)

Began tapering Oct 2015  Current from 12 Sept 2020:  Pristiq 0.625 mg (compounded)

My tapering program

My website - includes my brief history + links to videos & information on the web

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.

Lemanna
1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

What are you taking the magnesium for?

If you want to take it for it's calming effect, then it is better to take it throughout the day.

You also need to make sure that you get plain magnesium which doesn't contain any other supplements.  Some contain calcium which cancels out the calming effect of magnesium.  If you do take a calcium supplement separately they need to be taken 2 hours apart.  Some magnesium has vitamins added, especially B6, which can be activating.

When starting anything new it is best to try a small dose first to see how you react.  And it is best to only try something new one at a time, otherwise if you feel worse you will not know what caused the worsening.  And you should only make one change at a time for the same reason.

the-rule-of-3kis-keep-it-simple-keep-it-slow-keep-it-stable

Taking it for OCD type symptoms general anxiety. It's magnesium citrate no calcium. Cut the tablets into half so 50mg. Really big tablets so not sure I could break them up even more. Take them in the evening. Just find difficult to know best thing to do as some people seem think it's awful. Have read no good when tapering but I stopped 10 weeks ago.

Switched to Sertraline Dec19 had severe adverse reaction caused OCD with compulsions

Been in hell ever since.

ChessieCat
12 minutes ago, Lemanna said:

Cut the tablets into half so 50mg. Really big tablets so not sure I could break them up even more.

I take magnesium citrate.  My tablets are 150mg and I break them in half and take 1/2 a tablet in the morning and 1/2 a tablet at night.  If I feel a bit more anxious than usual, I will take an extra 1/2 a tablet during the day.

15 minutes ago, Lemanna said:

Have read no good when tapering

I'm tapering and take magnesium.  I have found it very helpful and noticed the difference when I stopped taking it when I ran out of tablets.

My tapering program

Frogie
1 hour ago, ChessieCat said:

I take magnesium citrate.  My tablets are 150mg and I break them in half and take 1/2 a tablet in the morning and 1/2 a tablet at night.  If I feel a bit more anxious than usual, I will take an extra 1/2 a tablet during the day.

I also take magnesium citrate. I take 200 mg morning, afternoon and evening. Am I taking too much? I see you break your 150 mg in 1/2 and only take it morning and evening.

Thanks!

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!!

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Lemanna
4 hours ago, Frogie said:

I also take magnesium citrate. I take 200 mg morning, afternoon and evening. Am I taking too much? I see you break your 150 mg in 1/2 and only take it morning and evening.

Thanks!

Frogie xx

Do you feel OK on them, been so nervous as seen lot of negative reviews on another site, might up mine to 100mg in couple weeks if I feel OK on them

Been in hell ever since.

Frogie
3 hours ago, Lemanna said:

Do you feel OK on them, been so nervous as seen lot of negative reviews on another site, might up mine to 100mg in couple weeks if I feel OK on them

I feel ok taking it. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Gridley
43 minutes ago, Frogie said:

I feel ok taking it. 

I think dosage is very individual with magnesium.  You're good at listening to your body.   If you feel ok with your dosage, it's probably fine.  And if it helps with the post-Xanax anxiety, it's could be very valuable.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Began taper using Brassmonkey slide Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Current from Aug 13, 2020 at 0.1mg

Taper is 99.5% complete.

Lorazepam 1 mg 1986-1991 CT, resumed a few months later. CT 2000.  1 mg 2011-2016.  Sept, 2016 increased to 0.5 X 3 in split dose. Sept. 2019 increased to 0.625 X 3 after crossover to new brand

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan. 2016 began every 3-weeks 10% taper, down to 15mg.  Aug 2016, discovered SA, updosed to 25mg and holding.  Taper is 66% complete.  

Supplements: omega, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, melatonin .33mg

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Frogie
24 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I think dosage is very individual with magnesium.  You're good at listening to your body.   If you feel ok with your dosage, it's probably fine.  And if it helps with the post-Xanax anxiety, it's could be very valuable.

Thanks Gridley!

ChessieCat
9 hours ago, Frogie said:

I also take magnesium citrate. I take 200 mg morning, afternoon and evening. Am I taking too much?

From the bottom of Post #1 of this topic:

On 10/8/2011 at 6:22 AM, Altostrata said:

If you take too much magnesium, you will know because you'll get stomach cramps or diarrhea. Reduce the amount you're taking if these things occur.

My tapering program

Frogie
15 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

From the bottom of Post #1 of this topic:

Thank you for the information!