SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

Altostrata

• Administrator

ADMIN NOTE

See also one member's description of a bad reaction:  magnesium-sensitivity-bad-reaction

PLEASE NOTE:  Some magnesium tablets contain additional ingredients. B vitamins can be activating, especially vitamin B6.

Calcium cancels the calming effect of magnesium and the 2 should be taken at least 2 hours apart.

On 5/25/2012 at 7:46 PM, tezza said:

Taking magnesium at the same time as Neurontin/ gabapentin decreases the absorption of gabapentin.

Avoid taking aluminum or magnesium containing products (such as antacids) for 2 hours before your gabapentin.

Magnesium can be calming and reduce anxiety, like a calcium channel blocker.

Our diets often don't supply us with enough magnesium, which is important for nervous system health and autonomic regulation, as well as just about every operation in the body.

Don't overdo taking magnesium -- too much will give you diarrhea. Start with 25mg. (I was never able to take more than 50mg-75mg at a time, but others can take much more.) To start, you will want to get 100mg tablets you can cut up or 100mg capsules you can open, so you can try a lower dose and gradually increase if you wish.

Drug stores most often carry magnesium carbonate, but magnesium citrate is a type that's gentler on your stomach and absorbs well.

I found if I dissolved magnesium citrate in ice water and sipped it, this reduced withdrawal anxiety quite a bit.

Some people think magnesium glycinate, a chelate, has even better absorption, is easier on the gut, and has other health benefits. See Chris Kresser http://chriskresser.com/handouts/natural_prevention.pdf

Albion process magnesium glycinate chelate is a good-quality magnesium supplement. These products are carried by Bluebonnet, Designs for Health, Life Zone, Metagenics, Olymp Laboratories (Poland), Optimal Nutrients, Solgar, Swanson, Trophic (Canada), and other brands.

Doctor's Best also offers a high-quality chelated magnesium glycinate.

Some people get magnesium by taking hot baths in Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), See Epsom salts baths -- another way to relax with magnesium

Others rub on magnesium oil. It's not really an oil; under high pressure, magnesium is dissolved in water. The magnesium is absorbed through the skin. This is a another way of taking magnesium. Some find it gentler than taking magnesium by mouth.

Another option is homemade magnesium bicarbonate water, see Instructions For Making Homemade Magnesium Water

If you take too much magnesium, you will know because you'll get stomach cramps or diarrhea. Reduce the amount you're taking if these things occur.

NOTE: Magnesium is more effective taken in divided doses throughout the day. There's no need to take one large daily dose, you'll absorb it poorly. You might find you can take 50mg or 100mg magnesium 4 times a day or so and it will help you relax. Build up slowly.

ADMIN NOTE: Summary of the topic, up until post # 372

(Mod note 2019 December,  some of the links below are not working at present, most of the information is in this topic though, 14 pages now, and we'll get to work on the hyperlinks ASAP, thanks for your patience, mmt)

How to make creams and sprays

Studies on blood brain barriers

Mag for achy knees

When Magnesium makes you Worse

Magnesium Supplementation Article

Recipe for magnesium spray

Recipe for magnesium water

How to Change Your Life with Magnesium by Dr Carolyn Dean

Descriptions of many forms of magnesium

Answers to many questions by Jan Carol

A detailed post from Jan Carol

Results one member had from a variety of magnesium forms.

Many members noticed improvements in w/d symptoms.  Some of the specifics reported were:  improved short-term memory; general withdrawal improved by 90% for one member; improved restless legs; less cramps; nerve-damage pain was eased; depression lessened; akathisia improved.

Mag chloride oil helped with joint pain and reduced constipation

Mag oil stopped pins and needles.  GiaK also had good results with magnesium oil

Mag maleate helped with relaxation

Epsom salt lotion relaxed muscles, and helped with cortisol spikes

Mag citrate cream helped achy knees and was calming

Chelated mag was found to be good for sleep.  (In general, Magnesium may be better taken in the evening if it makes you sleepy.)

Some members noticed worsened side-effects.   These included:  dizziness; disorientation; worse short-term memory; tingly skin; tired; heart palpitations; worse sleep; agitation; lip twitching; brain zaps, twitching body; facial tingling; ear pain; racing heart.   

When taking magnesium glycinate, a member noticed increased sleep-apnoea and worsening of all their other symptoms; a member noticed anxiety from Epsom salts. 

However, in nearly all cases, worsening symptoms was a result of taking TOO MUCH magnesium.  In some cases members found they could tolerate some forms of magnesium better than others.  Overall it seems to be well worth following the ‘start low’ advice, and trying out different types to see what you might tolerate.

Mag oxide is less well absorbed than other forms.

Magnesium citrate and magnesium glycinate are supposed to be the most biologically available and effective, but may be more expensive.

Useful Excerpts from the thread

From Dave, a moderator:  ‘I tried most of the mags. Malate, citrate, glycinate, etc. Glycinate was the one that really resonated with me as well. It's the one I take consistently. It is the ultimate chill pill. I will take 200mg before an aspirin for a headache. If I have very high anxiety or trouble settling in the evening, 200mg will cut into the negative feelings and stabilize me - soothe me. I've taken up to 800mg of Doctor's Best mag glycinate in a single day w/ no adverse reactions. That was in acute withdrawal. I took it 200mg at a time spread throughout the day. It really helped me. We are all so very deficient in magnesium as it is. Stress further depletes us. It is truly a supplement well-worth trying while navigating withdrawal. Glycinate reigns supreme amongst the mags for me, but I do like Natural Calm mixed into seltzer water with a splash of cranberry juice.

Moderator JanCarol compared the following types of magnesium

‘Magnesium chloride crystals - 1 cup - 20 min soak - was almost sedating, very relaxing, very calming, very "all is well with the world."  

Magnesium Sulfate (Epsom Salts) - 1 cup - 20 min soak - was mildly relaxing, felt good on the muscles, but didn't feel like it affected emotion much at all.  I was glad I took the bath, but it didn't feel nearly like the "secret weapon" the magnesium chloride is.  I think the effects of the Epsom Salts were not as long acting, either.

I have had fewer headaches upon starting the citrate and maleate.  No change in emotional output or anxiety - unless I would take a mag chloride bath!’

What is Chelation?  By Scallywag:  ‘Chelation is a process used to trick the body into treating a mineral like a food by bonding the mineral with an amino acid such as L-glycine. When minerals aren't chelated, our body sees them as the "rocks" they are and is more likely to excrete them unused. A chelated mineral is more likely to be absorbed because our body sees it and treats is as food.  Foods are far better absorbed than rocks.  All magnesium glycinate products are magnesium chelated with L-glycine. I've never seen a magnesium lysinate product before, but that doesn't mean anything. Lysine is an essential amino acid, meaning we can't make it on our own so we have to get it from food.’

Edited by Altostrata
updated admin note

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

There is also liquid magnesium. Not sure what that is. Magnesium is muscle relaxant, maybe you mentioned that. Used alot w horses as calmative that doesn't test (as opposed to valerian). Thiamin also calming.

Magnesium is also a primary nutrient in horses w metabolic disorders (Insulin Resistance, Cushings, ACTH, cortisol abnormalities).

If only i could correlate this random knowledge...

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Magnesium's effects on me are potent. 25mg produces a drunk-like, slouching state of stupor/listlessness sometimes accompanied by muscle cramping. I wonder if it would be beneficial to use very small doses to reacquire a tolerance.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Alex,

Perhaps a short epsom salt bath might be a way to absorb magnesium while avoiding your GI system.? I've been surprised by how quickly it is absorbed thru skin, so do be cautious w that if you try. I usually use a full small box (like a mini carton of milk) in a warm bath--a fairly heavy dose.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Administrator

Right, alex, maybe a little less would give you some benefits?

I've heard the effects of magnesium absorbed through the skin are gentler.

On the other hand, everyone is different and some people just can't take mag. Usually, though, it is well-tolerated (as they say), even among people with withdrawal hypersensitivity.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 1 month later...

I just realized that my brain zaps came back after I started taking Magnesium. Still not sure if it's the Magnesium or not though. Has anyone had this happen?

Taper from Cymbalta, Paxil, Prozac & Antipsychotics finished June 2012.

Xanax 5% Taper - (8/12 - .5 mg) - (9/12 - .45) - (10/12 - .43) - (11/12 - .41) - (12/12 - .38)

My Paxil Website

My Intro

• Administrator

That seems odd, but you can always conduct an experiment. Don't take the mag for a few days and see if you get zaps anyway. After a while with no zaps, try the mag again.

I've tried taking 10mg at night. It sure helps me sleep but I wake up dizzy and feeling like my brain is rattling in my skull. This disorientation gets worse, walking in a straight line becomes harder. Morning 2 is worse than 1 and three will bring more disorientation than 2. I've not taken past three consecutive nights for reasons sufficiently explained by commonsense.

Alex

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Maybe try 5mg? How about a little in a nice bath, Alex?

• 1 month later...

FYI--i just bought epsom salt lotion at CVS

Will report back

It's new or so says the sticker on the bottle

I used some on my neck and it seemed to relax the muscles a bit

I came across another topical magnesium spray in a pharmacy in Texas

NOTE: Do not spray mag salt on freshly shaven legs or _________ (fill in body part)

CVS store brand

• Administrator

Here are instructions on how to make your own Epsom salts lotion http://www.thegfcflady.com/2009/04/26/epsom-salt-lotion/

And how to make magnesium cream http://www.herbal-treatments.com/home-remedies/home-remedies-magnesium-cream.html (you can skip the lavender oil)

Hmmm, I have tons of mag citrate capsules, maybe I'll try this.

• Administrator

I'm too lazy to go to the trouble of dissolving the mag in warm water and mixing it into lotion.

Last night, I mixed 600mg mag citrate into about 50mL of some thick body lotion. Mag salts are 55% soluble in water, the body lotion had water as its first ingredient.

The mixture was a little grainy going on, but seemed to dissolve fine on my skin. I'd say my experiment was a success.

I think this would be particularly good to use if you have muscle cramps in your legs. It might even relax tightness in the chest, if it's caused by muscle tightness, or jaw clenching.

There is something called "magnesium oil" which is really just magnesium chloride dissolved in as little water as possible (called oil because it feels oily). I think you can also do it with magnesium sulfate. I'm going to try it for my weird neck & lower back pain.

Also, check out this site: http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-chloride/

I found it while I was looking for the differences between magnesium chloride (which I can get really easily and cheaply) and magnesium citrate. IGNORE THE STUFF THEY ARE SELLING, AS YOU CAN MAKE IT YOURSELF FOR MUCH CHEAPER. The info on the site is interesting. I'm still researching it since a lot of people are making a whole lot of claims for magnesium and sometimes they seem exaggerated, but this site seems well-documented (at least they list their sources so you can fact-check). There is a chart on the page that compares the bioavailability of different types of magnesium, and apparently magnesium chloride is very good in that respect.

When I'm less tired I'll try to make a list of the more interesting claims.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

Interesting.

Next time I buy magnesium, I'll have to look for mag chloride.

I've found Magnesium gluconate, Magnesium lactate, and Magnesium malate are readily available on the Web, too.

Agree you can mix up your own mag oil. The instructions above about warming up some water and dissolving magnesium salts in it basically tell you how. It's very simple. You could do it in an old soy sauce bottle and put your own cute label on it.

By the way, I found that the mag citrate mixed into my hand cream has dissolved further but caused the hand cream to separate, so there's some water in it now. I rubbed it on my achy knees and I do believe it made them feel warm and took the ache away.

I've been using mag chloride oil lately. I have also been taking supplements. I remain sensitiive but far less so than I was before.

In October I started drinking coffee again to help with gastrointestinal problems. But by late November I started having problems. Digging around online, I suspected my problem was some sort of an electrolyte imbalance due to the combo of being on a reflux diet and the increased urinary excretion of electrolytes caused by caffeine.

I overdid it a bit, probably taking 300 mg of magnesium via ingestion and dermal submersion. I was also thrown in jail. I think the magnesium is somewhat dehydrating and definitely sedating. Also my short term memory has been crap and some research turned up possible interaction with benzos that would impair memory.

I will probably see my doctor this week because it has now been a month... Usually he is clueless. He's a really nice man though and seems concerned about me and my brain. The waters are just not charted so it's often a mutual waste of time.

Finally, has anyone had any eye twitching that resolved with mag therapy?

Allex

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Mag *is* dehydrating -- it draws water into the gut, which is how an excessive amount can cause diarrhea.

I'm finding rubbing the mag mixture on my knees is taking away about 90% of my knee pain. It's a miracle! I thought I was heading for knee replacement for sure. I guess it turns out to be tight muscles, no surprise, since so many of my aches and pains seem to be from that.

(The mag made the thick body cream completely separate into a mixture of the consistency of milk. Mag must counteract the emulsifier. Most of that body cream turned out to be water, exactly as indicated on the label, water being listed as the first ingredient. But it still works fine.)

I had eye twitching on and off for quite a while, also some eye watering and drooling on the same side of my mouth as the eye twitching. One might surmise a nerve on that side was involved. But it all did go away.

alex, how about rubbing a little mag cream on the side of your face near your eye? I wouldn't put it very close to the eye. Maybe it will calm the region.

I've been trying to research how much magnesium I should be taking, as I I was starting to think I might have been overdoing it. So far, I've come up with a couple of interesting facts I thought I should share:

1. The amount of "elemental magnesium" in different types of magnesium supplements REALLY varies. So, 100mg of say, magnesium oxide is not equivalent to 100mg of magnesium citrate. The amounts of elemental magnesium for different magnesium preparations are the following:

Magnesium oxide 60%

Magnesium citrate 16%

Magnesium chloride 12%

Magnesium lactate 12%

Magnesium sulfate 10%

(source: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium)

So this is something to consider when you are calculating how much to take each day. I found one site that recommends not taking more than 490mg of elemental magnesium a day (~40 mEq).

One (1) gram of the various magnesium salts contain the following amounts of elemental magnesium:

magnesium chloride: 120 mg (9.8 mEq) elemental magnesium.

magnesium gluconate: 54 mg (4.4 mEq) elemental magnesium.

magnesium lactate: 120 mg (9.8 mEq) elemental magnesium.

magnesium oxide: 603 mg (49.6 mEq) elemental magnesium.

magnesium sulfate: 99 mg (8.1 mEq) elemental magnesium.

(source: http://barttersite.org/magnesium-dosing-information-for-health-care-workers/)

2. Even if you are taking more elemental magnesium per milligram of magnesium supplement, it doesn't mean you're getting more magnesium, as the bioavailability really varies. This study showed that magnesium oxide is poorly absorbed (4% fractional absorption) compared to magnesium chloride, lactate and aspartate (summary doesn't have % for these, and I can't find the full text to get more details).

If anyone finds more info that would be great... I'm currently dissolving 50mg of magnesium chloride in 1.5 liters of water and taking 40mL of this a day (10mL in the AM and 30mL in the PM), as recommended by the instructions from the pharmacy (they recommend 80mL total for older adults).

I figure that means each mL gives me 33.33mg of magnesium chloride, meaning I get 1,333.2mg a day. I was worried that was too much, but it's really just 160mg of elemental magnesium. So I could definitely even go up to taking 80 mL of the solution a day. (If someone sees me making some glaring error in my logic here, please do correct me!)

When I was thinking I was taking too much was when I was taking 400mg of magnesium oxide (I messed up and bought that instead of citrate pills) in the morning and the 30mL of m. chloride in the evening. That meant I was getting 240mg elemental mag from the oxide + 120mg from the chloride = 360mg total elemental. So probably not too much either. I might try it again and see if I get the same reaction.

I'm not sure how the bioavailability factors into all of this... the 490mg total recommendation doesn't seem to take it into account... or maybe the differences aren't so great as to affect the general recommendation?

Finally, it appears you absorb magnesium a lot better if you take it in small doses throughout the day: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21473800.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

Here's another study on magnesium absorption.

Conclusion: Mg L-aspartate compensated for magnesium deficit more effectively and faster than all other salts. Mg chloride showed the highest efficiency among inorganic magnesium salts. Both Mg chloride and Mg L-aspartate in combination with vitamin B6 caused statistically significant compensation of magnesium deficit.

• Administrator

If you take too much magnesium by mouth at one time, you will get cramping and diarrhea.

It's a clear sign to reduce dosage. If you pay attention to that, you can't overdose.

I have noticed problems with short term memory since starting mag supplementation. I've found reports online documenting this phenomenon in individuals with extensive history of benzo use. There was some stuff on interaction with NMDA receptors and that this interactions inhibits creation or retention of short term memory. ? In any event it is very noticeable.

Since upping my dose to 200mg magnesium i frequently forget things i am not typically forgetful of. Like, where I am walking, where I left things, what I've told people.

A short example. I walked upstairs to get my phone. When I returned down I couldn't recall why I made the trip. After a few seconds I remembered it was to retrieve my phone. Still not recalling if I had picked up my phone I checked my pants and jacket pockets as well as the immediate countertops. No phone. So second trip up the stairs repeating "get your phone" over in my head. Finally returned with phone.

Memory problems aside, I am doing much better with several symptoms commonly caused by mag deficiency such as bone pain/weakness, ttingling in extremities, hardened, coare skin... Though the symptoms are getting better concerns about memory have paused my mag supplementation program. I will probably restart it though as the symptoms are returning the last couple days I've been without the extra mag.

My problems with this started in reaction to a PPI, dexilant, know. To deplete bones of cal and mag and increase risk of fracture and bone disorders.

I have not experienced any change in stool consistency or frequency of movements, but the mag is quite sedating and dehydrating.

Alex.i

- Zimmerman

I have noticed problems with short term memory since starting mag supplementation.

Hmm... I have not noticed problems with short term memory so far, if anything I feel it has improved (but have not used benzos very much, and not at all in the past three years except for two or three attempts when I first started going through anxiety). But then again, my short term memory is awful in general. The stuff you describe happens to me all the time. Sometimes I make the same trip two or even three times, returning empty handed! While I was on vacation I even had this weird episode where I SWORE my BF was playing tricks on me because I was looking for something and thought I hadn't found it and then there it was in plain sight and no one else had put it there, so it must have been me... I used to think it was the Wellbutrin. Now I think it's withdrawal, heh! But my mom is like that as well, so maybe it's just how I'm wired.

In any case, that is a tough call, having to choose between bad effects. When my anxiety is bad, I want it gone so bad I'm willing to sacrifice just about anything else. But when it abates, of course I want to have energy, be alert, not have back pain, etc.

I hope you find the right balance!

Yes, it seems for magnesium is touted for improvd memory, so my reaction is atypical. However the correlation is very strong. I've had memory problems but not to this degree or of this sort. The example I gave. Things like that, like placing something I wanted to keep in a trash pile and then not remembering doing it after my mom asks why I wanted to throw the item away. These things were happening multiple times a day, probably ten times each day, which had not been a feature of my w.d...

While i have been having problems with memory in w.d my issues were much more with recalling new information than with not remembering my intention in the middle of an action... Wait, why am I running the water in this sink? Totally new and happening in abundance.

I assume I'll return to my old level of forgetfulness -- names, reading and not retaining -- which was only a minor nuisance as I stop the mag pills which I should be able to do eventually...

- Zimmerman

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another study on magnesium absorption.

Conclusion: Mg L-aspartate compensated for magnesium deficit more effectively and faster than all other salts. Mg chloride showed the highest efficiency among inorganic magnesium salts. Both Mg chloride and Mg L-aspartate in combination with vitamin B6 caused statistically significant compensation of magnesium deficit.

Reminds of ZMA which athletes use. Wary of the aspartame though. Then again, right now the mag glycinate I take causes brain stupor. I also wonder about it's absorption in my jacked up intestines.

My rule had been to avoid the aspartates but maybe I'll try...

EDIT: I dug up a link on ZMA from the bodybuilding forum if anyone interested. Funny how it promotes sleep in normals. I think I took something aspartate and was up all night.... Still considering trying it since b6 and zinc are also important to me.

- Zimmerman

Also, magnesium is a leading ingredient in preparations like maalox.

Is it wise to take magnesium around meals if I am having digestive problems. I need all my stomach acid right then, I think.

Alex

- Zimmerman

Did you ever try magnesium chloride orally? The chloride is supposed to help with stomach acid.

By taking it orally? I have some mag chloride oil. I never thought of ingesting it. I'll look into it.

Thanks, Nadia

- Zimmerman

By taking it orally? I have some mag chloride oil. I never thought of ingesting it. I'll look into it.

Thanks, Nadia

Yeah... I find I tolerate it better than the other types of magnesium I've tried (citrate, oxide, and certainly hydroxide!). I get the crystals from a pharmacy and dilute them in water (they are really cheap, too). 50g per 1.5 liters of water. I've gradually worked up to taking 40 mL of the liquid twice a day. Sometimes I split it up more since that is supposed to help with absorption. It tastes bad but the taste doesn't stay in your mouth. If you drink water it goes away right away. And it's weird, I almost don't mind the taste anymore, like my body knows I need it!

My mom and dad have been taking it as well... and they both notice a difference. My mother used to have awful joint pain that wouldn't let her sleep. Now she only has it on really cold, rainy days.

I notice now I am hardly ever constipated, which is a nice plus. I only get constipated now if I eat bread or cookies and such.

• 2 months later...
  • Administrator

You can cut tablets up, or empty the powder from capsules into water to drink.

sb, you can take magnesium anytime you want to feel relaxed. Nighttime is good.

You'll have to experiment with the liquid magnesium. Maybe take less so it's not laxative?

Epsom salt baths are a good way to absorb magnesium, too.

• 5 weeks later...

• Administrator

Magnesium makes me jittery and gives me insomnia. My mind races so much I can't sleep.

It feels like I'm on opposite land since w/d. :(

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Administrator

How much did you take, jr?

How much did you take, jr?

I've tried taking 25mg-100mg magnesium glycinate and citrate. I've also tried 266mg magnesium oxide, which didn't cause any problems (I think) but I wasn't sure it was benefiting me either.

I tried 200g Epsom salts once, but it caused the same problems as the tablets.

2003-2011: Paroxetine,Citalopram,Effexor; Aug/Sept 2011: Effexor to Mirtazapine; Oct 2011: C/T Mirtazapine back to Effexor; Nov/Dec 2011: Fast Tapered Effexor - w/d hell; Feb 2012: Reinstated Effexor 37.5mg; June 2012: Dropped to 35.6mg; Jan 2016: Propranolol 2.5mg per day for general anxiety; Feb 2016: Finasteride 0.25mg per week to slow hair loss; 18th May - 8th June 2019: Started Vyvanse 7.5mg and increased by 7.5mg weekly to 30mg (lowest “therapeutic” dose for adults).; 21st June 2019 - 12th July: Cross tapered from venlafaxine brand Rodomel to Efexor (1/4 > 1/2 > 3/4 weekly before ditching Rodomel); 13th July 2019: Cut Vyvanse dose to 15mg; 15th July 2019: Akathisia returned after years of being free; 16th July 2019: Went back up to Vyvanse 30mg

Supplements: Omega-3, Vitamin D, Zinc, Phosphatidylserine 

• Administrator

Did you have the same symptoms when you took 25mg mag citrate/glycinate?

If not, that might be your upper tolerance. You may be able to take more later on.

Mag oxide is not very well absorbed.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy