SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration, cognitive, and memory problems

Denstar51

I wanted to breifly share about my cognitive problems.

At 31 months out I seem to have more of those than in the beginning.

The brain fog causes very difficult problems with concentration and focus.

Spelling words, thinking things out. Has any body seen improvements with this?

31 months out and still having a big problem with it.

Thanks

The improvement will come, Dennis. The thing is that you're very battle-fatigued. Plus, the waves are still rearing their ugly head. But it will be abating. All those symptoms you're mentioning are WD. Just a few more steps. Hang in there!

2000-2008 Paxil for a situational depression

2008 - Paxil c/t

Severe protracted WD syndrome ever since; improving

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once”

Albert Einstein

"Add signature to your profile. This way we can help you even better!"

Surviving Antidepressants ;)

And, above all, ... keep walking. Just keep walking.

I wanted to breifly share about my cognitive problems.

At 31 months out I seem to have more of those than in the beginning.

The brain fog causes very difficult problems with concentration and focus.

Spelling words, thinking things out. Has any body seen improvements with this?

31 months out and still having a big problem with it.

Thanks

The brain fog didn't lift for me until around the end of month 35. I know everyone's timeline is different, but I just wanted you to see that at month 31 you many still have some time to go. It did come and go for awhile until it finally cleared up.

Began Paxil 10/97*

Paxil free 10/16/04 (tapered over 2.5 months)

Severe withdrawal

12/04 started Lexapro due to Paxil w/d symptoms (tapered over 4 months)

Lexapro free 8/2/05

2 1/2 year severe protracted withdrawal

Doing well now with a few residual symptoms

• 1 month later...

Does anyone else have giants gaps in their memory? Most of what I've read from SSRI users, I believe, is short term memory problems (I have that too) but I have almost no memory of my entire life.

I've always had a bad memory. When I was a teen or in my early twenties, I couldn't remember anything before 13 years old. I used to think some trauma must have happened but I highly doubt it now. But now I can't remember hardly anything of my life. When I read people's stories that have had ECT, I can relate. It's like someone has erased years of my past and I only have very tiny glimpses. It makes it hard to feel like a normal human. I can barely hold a conversation, I have so little to share.

I wonder if this has more to do with the 8 years I took Lamictal than with SSRI's. Unfortunatly, when I try to look into the issue, I mostly come up with patients questioning and not getting real answers.

Does anyone else have giants gaps in their memory? Most of what I've read from SSRI users, I believe, is short term memory problems (I have that too) but I have almost no memory of my entire life.

I've always had a bad memory. When I was a teen or in my early twenties, I couldn't remember anything before 13 years old. I used to think some trauma must have happened but I highly doubt it now. But now I can't remember hardly anything of my life. When I read people's stories that have had ECT, I can relate. It's like someone has erased years of my past and I only have very tiny glimpses. It makes it hard to feel like a normal human. I can barely hold a conversation, I have so little to share.

I wonder if this has more to do with the 8 years I took Lamictal than with SSRI's. Unfortunatly, when I try to look into the issue, I mostly come up with patients questioning and not getting real answers.

Hi NoRX,

I definitely relate to what you are saying and I am so sorry you are experiencing memory problems.

Even before I ever touched a crumb of psych meds, I felt I had a poor memory for various reasons that like in your situation, are unrelated to trauma. I feel that being on psych meds has greatly worsened this issue.

I know what you mean about feeling like you are barely able to hold a conversation. For example, I will remember a quote but I will have no idea where it comes from or if I am saying it correctly. If I am emailing someone, I can look it up on google. Can't do that when you're physically talking to someone :(

I have a theory that I can't prove that if you had issues before going on meds that affect things like memory that psych meds greatly worsen the problem. I haven't read it but I know that Grace Jackson, in her book, Rethinking Psychiatric Meds, has said that these drugs effect the learning centers of the brain. So that is another reason why I feel the way I do and why what you are stating makes total sense to me.

I have tried experimenting with various supplements but nothing has been really helpful and I seem to be sensitive to alot of things.

Hopefully, our situations will improve over time. Sadly, I don't see us finding answers any time soon.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Thanks CS,

It's hard when you feel like so much was stolen from you and you can't even tell anyone because it sounds so ridiculously insane. I hate to say I have a bad memory because that is so normal and doesn't begin to describe this. If I were to tell people I have amnesia, they would think I'm being sarcastic or exaggerating.

hi Nor,

I thought that at 26 months, I would not have new symptoms, but the former returning, well no!

New are tinnitus (I had never until now) severe spasms in the abdomen, muscle tension neck and shoulders, and a problem of no saliva in the mouth and eyes at night, and short and long term memory

All this arrived since last month

this in addition to everything I regularly have

i cannot give a name about someone i know, recently or years ago, i want tell about things but several words want not come; very frutrating

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Hey, NoRx. I moved this to the Symptoms. It will fit here better. If you had enough energy these days, please feel free to start your introduction thread in the Introductions, too. This way we will be able to follow your progress. :)

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

Welcome, NoRx! It's great to see you here. I have always thought your posts on the other site were really compassionate, progressive, intelligent.

Oh, gosh, I could write a book on my thoughts about how these meds impact memory. It's quite fascinating.

I had a pretty good memory before meds, and even on meds. It got very scary a few months after my last dose, when people would say they had told me things, and I still couldn't remember even after they reminded me. IOW, there was no memory trace at all. That level of impairment improved steadily and is not an issue any more.

I also used to have a very good memory for vocabulary before meds. My "word-finding" got seriously impaired post taper. Very disturbing, and very odd. I could never find the words "toaster oven" in under 20 seconds. No matter how I practiced, and how often I used the words (often), I had to re-search for them every time, and other two word-phrases starting with "t" and "o" would come up instead. Word-finding has gotten much better, although I have waves of this still.

Then, there's the phenomenon of old memories getting lost and slowly coming back "online." I don't know how much of the loss of continuity with my past had to do with direct memory impairment and how much had to do with being psychologically consumed by utter misery for the first few years of taper and post-taper. But, for whatever reasons, for a long time, I never thought much of my past.

Then, throughout the recovery, I have had periods when I have an absolute spate of old memories come back. I'm glad to have them back, but it's very intense and over-stimulating to go through one of these spates, and it can disrupt my sleep. It's like vivid, familiar-but-long-unseen images flashing into my mind, and it causes an adrenaline jolt. I think that this process is beginning to even out, and now I have the memories returning more continuously and slightly less shockingly.

I could go on! This is a subject that really interests me!

One thing I wanted to say re not having a good memory -- I really think you can help the process along. You may have to wait to heal a bit more, but you might not. But, I have improved my memory by simply exercising it. I'll try to remember a conversation verbatim, for example, and I just talk out loud to myself and review it and more comes back to me.

The fact that you want to have a better memory means to me that you can have one. You just have to figure out what works for you and then practice it.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Neuro, Thanks for moving this to the correct place. I will try to do an introduction soon.

Hi Stan,

I'm sorry you are suffering new symptoms right now. I hope they are short lived. I had eye twitching (muscle spasms) start after two years off. They lasted a few months and then disappeared. So, it's possible!

Hi Healing,

Thank you for the response and the compliments.

I agree that their are things that can be done to help short term memory and cognitive issues. However, I must disagree with the statement; "The fact that you want to have a better memory means to me that you can have one. You just have to figure out what works for you and then practice it."

That says to me; the drugs didn't do any damage to my brain functioning, I just need to try harder. I'm sure most people who have had ECT want to remember their wedding day or their children or their college education (whatever has been wiped away) but WANTING to remember and putting things into practice to aid memory function, doesn't work. Something has been physically damaged.

I wanted to know if these drugs/toxins (mostly Lamictal since I've heard more about it and memory problems) can cause similar damage when taken for years.

I wish I could describe it better. It's like I just arrived here from another planet. I wasn't born, grew up, had kids, whatever else I did for the last 40 years...

My kids are going to be leaving home soon and I feel like I didn't even raise them. There is so little I can remember.

I'm so sorry you're having this terrible experience, NoRx. It's very angering, frightening. I don't know anything about Lamictal, but I wouldn't be surprised if it could cause severe memory impairment.

Never fear, NoRx. I would never minimize the appalling damage caused by psych meds or ECT. I just may have more radical beliefs than you about how much is possible for us human beings. :)

And I certainly don't think things can be forced. You may have to just wait awhile before you're well enough to even begin to practice any memory exercise. Nor is just wanting enough, but it *is* the crucial first step.

What these iatrogenic treatments do is criminal. It's not OK. The truth has to be told, and these practices have to stop. I've been against psych meds and ECT since the 70s. How I ended up with neurological damage from a psych med is a bit of a cosmic joke. :blink:

But, we are only now learning about neuroplasticity and how to work with it. Every day, new promising discoveries are being made.

And, even in the case where areas of the brain are irreversibly destroyed, it's turning out that the rest of the brain can learn to take over the lost functions.

Finally, and here's where I may get too radical-seeming, there's a lot of disagreement about whether the mind and the brain are the same thing. It's possible that the brain is basically a tranceiver and that our minds are actually elsewhere. If this is the case, then our memories are intact. We just have to develop a path to access them. This is what I tend to believe at this time.

What do you think? Keep talking to us, please, and tell us your experience.

1996-97 - Paxil x 9 months, tapered, suffered 8 months withdrawal but didn't know it was withdrawal, so...

1998-2001 - Zoloft, tapered, again unwittingly went into withdrawal, so...

2002-03 - Paxil x 20 months, developed severe headaches, so...

Sep 03 - May 05 - Paxil taper took 20 months, severe physical, moderate psychological symptoms

Sep 03 - Jun 05 - took Prozac to help with Paxil taper - not recommended

Jul 05 to date - post-taper, severe psychological, moderate physical symptoms, improving very slowly

Lots of memory problems here, too. What I find most mind-boggling and counter-logic at first glance, is that I may not remember a bulk of things, but, at the same time, the memory of the traumatic experiences in my life and in during WD is *exceptionally* vivid. Ironic, eh?

And yes, the *temporary* damage is there. No doubt. That's why, on our way to healing, we need to take it easy. Do what can be done, and accept what needs to be put on hold. It will all come in its own time.

Healing, you mentioned the words you would forget. On my personal list of the "How the heck you call it" are (among others); "carrot", "pot" (and I mean a cooking vessel here) :) , "hairdresser". These are basic, basic words. But not for a chemically-nuked brain.

PS And I very much agree with the first two sentences in post 6

2008 - Paxil c/t

Albert Einstein

Women in their middle forties start to forget words, thoughts, lose keys, glasses, walk in room and can't remember why, etc. I was one of them and had never taken an Ad. Many of my girl friends (who had never taken an AD either) complained of the same thing. I was told then, and my daughter was told recently, it was all due to peri meno.

Now, about the guys, I have no idea.

What I'm saying is that this doesn't only happen when you've taken an AD, or even a cocktail. Maybe it's worse when you've been on meds... but, I can bet no one knows for sure.

Charter Member 2011

• 4 months later...

I have a similar problem and need some feedback.

I have been on AD for the last eight years almost (on and off but not off long) and it honestly did help with my ability to focus and comprehend things. I am not sure of this was bc it knocked out my anxiety and that made me more able to focus or if the artificially raising of my neurotransmitters did it. I know that neurochemistry is important when it comes to cognitive functioning. I do remember that when I was in high school and not on drugs, I did not do well in school at all. I had bad ocd type anxiety and could not focus at all. I honestly cannot remember what my processing ability was like though.

Ok so anyways, i have been off AD for two weeks and am doing the nexalin therapy still. Got off the drugs pretty quickly using the IV nutrients and the nexalin (see other post). Currently, my ability to understand, process, remember, and basically anything is severly hampered. I just failed a test today and already dropped a class this semester and it looks like I will have to drop another one. I am a junior and only have like a year left but am scared I will not make it now since I came off drugs. So tell me, is it possible that the drugs made me "smarter" by helping me to focus and understand things? What can I do to help with my issues? Perhaps neurofeedback? I am really scared; I am scared I made the wrong decision by getting off the drugs and now i will be some depressed, anxious guy with no ability to understand anything. How can I function in society if I cannot comprehend things and follow directions? Please help!

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

• Administrator

Zepp, the reason antidepressants helped your concentration is that they're stimulating.

Brain fog is a withdrawal symptom. One thing you need to do is stay calm, because worrying can add to the symptoms.

We don't know of any master key to getting rid of these symptoms. Your nervous system has been shaken up. It will take a while to settle down.

Here are a few things that help people with brain fog:

- Fish oil with vitamin E daily

- At least 30 minutes of gentle exercise, such as walking every day

- Good sleep

- Developing stress reduction techniques such as meditative breathing

- Acupuncture to help regulate blood pressure, heart rate, and reduce anxiety, muscle tension, and pain

- Being realistic about what you can and cannot do, and taking care of yourself

There are many topics in Symptoms and what helps for tips to cope with symptoms. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Are you getting good sleep? Are you keeping regular hours? Have you cut down on junk food and sugar? Taking care of your general health is important to supporting recovery.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Zepp, the reason antidepressants helped your concentration is that they're stimulating.

Brain fog is a withdrawal symptom. One thing you need to do is stay calm, because worrying can add to the symptoms.

We don't know of any master key to getting rid of these symptoms. Your nervous system has been shaken up. It will take a while to settle down.

Here are a few things that help people with brain fog:

- Fish oil with vitamin E daily

- At least 30 minutes of gentle exercise, such as walking every day

- Good sleep

- Developing stress reduction techniques such as meditative breathing

- Acupuncture to help regulate blood pressure, heart rate, and reduce anxiety, muscle tension, and pain

- Being realistic about what you can and cannot do, and taking care of yourself

There are many topics in Symptoms and what helps for tips to cope with symptoms. See Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Are you getting good sleep? Are you keeping regular hours? Have you cut down on junk food and sugar? Taking care of your general health is important to supporting recovery.

Thank you for the feedback. Things have been better. My brain zaps are pretty much gone and I have been fairly stable since coming off the drugs. I honestly think I have done it. I think I made a good decision to go with this program and get me off drugs. My physical health is returning as well as my mental health. Ironically, when i was on celxa I had depression. It was a weird type of depression, like i just felt bad you know? That is gone! I have had my bad days after coming off the drugs, but it just does not last and i get back on my feet. What has been helpful is being positive, talking to people at the clinic and knowing that much of the negative feelings i feel are just a result of the chemicals. You guys, I was on thos drugs for nearly 8 years and i tried to get off three times. This is my fourth time and it has been relatively smooth compared to the other times.

ANyways, i really believe that the nexalin has helped a lot and the IV nutrients. I find mediation extremly helpful and I have been detoxing the drugs out of my tissue by using a similar method that L Ron hubbard uses. It was recommended to my by a nutritionist and involves high doses of niacin to dilate the blood vessels, exercise, sauna, and then some french green clay to absorb the toxins and chemicals from my body. Likewise, since coming off the drugs I have had a few moments of anxiousness and so i pulled out an old supplement this alternative medicine doc gave me last year. It is called sedaplex and has a combo of relaxing herbs like valerian, skullcap, and the amino acid theanine, among others. It really helps a lot!

Anyways, i would like to get some feedback on something. Any of you all know how supplements, herbs, etc interact with antidepressants in the body? Is there a negative interaction that can be created? I bring this up bc i tried so many alternative products while on AD, yet sometimes I would feel worse. Now, though, seems like I am not as sensitive. I mentioned this to the clinic president and he said that negative interactions between AD and various things can occur in the body and this, in turn, creates a toxic environment. Guys, let me say something, I have only been off the drugs a few weeks, but my body feels good again. No more joint pain, no chronic fatigue, no sugar cravings in the middle of the night, no nothing. i feel....normal now. Dr. Breggin would probably say that my drug was my problem, and I agree.

Various SSRIs/SNRIs 7- 1/2 years

Went Cold Turkey from Celexa 2011, Stayed Off

Psych Drug Free and Loving Life (over 6 years and counting)

How I Stay Well: Diet, exercise, meditation, supplements, etc

Anyways, i would like to get some feedback on something. Any of you all know how supplements, herbs, etc interact with antidepressants in the body? Is there a negative interaction that can be created? I bring this up bc i tried so many alternative products while on AD, yet sometimes I would feel worse. Now, though, seems like I am not as sensitive. I mentioned this to the clinic president and he said that negative interactions between AD and various things can occur in the body and this, in turn, creates a toxic environment.

Hey Zepp,

You'll get more responses on this, I suspect. Firstly, I'm glad you're feeling better. Great to hear...

Supplements, herbs, etc are notorious for causing mischief, sometimes even serious complications, while the body recovers from antidepressant dependence.

I personally have learned to exercise substantial caution for this reason. Though I am more sensitive to these things while you are less sensitive, if I understand your post...?

Generally certain supplements tend to be tolerated better than others and have more desired effect (generally speaking, as well). So far nothing has been found that works for 100% of people, though perhaps there are certain supplements that prudence would recommend everyone avoid.

Others will add more on this, zepp.

Alex

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• Administrator

Anyways, i would like to get some feedback on something. Any of you all know how supplements, herbs, etc interact with antidepressants in the body? Is there a negative interaction that can be created? I bring this up bc i tried so many alternative products while on AD, yet sometimes I would feel worse. Now, though, seems like I am not as sensitive. I mentioned this to the clinic president and he said that negative interactions between AD and various things can occur in the body and this, in turn, creates a toxic environment. Guys, let me say something, I have only been off the drugs a few weeks, but my body feels good again. No more joint pain, no chronic fatigue, no sugar cravings in the middle of the night, no nothing. i feel....normal now. Dr. Breggin would probably say that my drug was my problem, and I agree.

People often become hypersensitive to a lot of things, including supplements, in withdrawal. The supplements aren't interacting with the drug, they're interacting with your nervous system. Some of these hypersensitivity reactions can definitely make you feel worse.

The clinic folks don't seem to understand what's going on, and this makes me very wary, Zepp. I've found alternative therapists will often make up pseudo-logical explanations to maintain your confidence. Watch out here.

But -- very glad you're feeling better!

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 5 months later...

The past month I have noticed a decline in my short term memory. Is this part of W/D from EFFEXOR XR?

I also have taken 0.25-0.50mg of XANAX at night for many years. I am trying to sleep without it now. but still take it for morning anxiety.

Is short term memory problems part of Effexor XR W/D? Or have I ruined my brain because of the long term Xanax use?

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

Memory problems √

I can't pin it down to short term memory because I cant remember the definition of STM vs LTM but in general cognitive processing is very poor - I broke down yesterday trying to access voicemail on phone - it just wouldn't compute -

OTOH-ive found that I remember some things that I wouldn't expect to (usually useless trivia) and it's surprised me - I believe relaxation and 'not trying' is involved -

The brain is amazingly regenerative although I understand how scary it is to not be able to recall or integrate information - it will get better -

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Yes it is scary. Even a long time friend made a comment about my memory. We were shopping and she showed me a blouse she had purchaaed. 5 minutes later, I ask to see it...

Trying not to be my own worst critic, I was distracted at the time by something else. But then again, that could be an indicator of a focus problem.

I was going to write something else, but I forgot...isn't that the pits!!!!

Thank you Barbara for your words of encouragement. I hope you apply them to yourself too :)

I

Effexor XL 2009-2012. CT 150mg Effexor XR  2012, Effexor XR  75mg  2012  then rapid taper to 0, Reinstated Effexor XR 13mg then updosed to 20mg, Tapered to 18mg Effexor XR 4/9/12, Off Effexor XL ?Reinstated  Effexor XL 150 mgs  August  2012, Crashed in November 2012, Prozac 40 mgs 2012 to Feb 2018, Buspar 60  mgs 2012-stopped 2015, Remeron 7.5 mgs as needed for sleep-stopped Feb 2017, Prozac 50 mgs Feb 2018 to March 2018, Lexapro 5 mgs March 18 2018 to May 17th 2018, Lexapro 2.5 mgs  May 18th to May 26th 2018, Prozac 10 mgs May 15th 2018, Prozac 5 mgs May 19th 2018 to current day May 28th 2018,  Xanax 0.25 mgs to 0.5 mgs daily for over 15 years. Increased Xanax to 1.5 mgs Sept 2012, Tapered Xanax to 0 mgs  May 2013.Reinstated Xanax Feb 2017 at 0.125 mgs as needed, Gradual increase of Xanax to 1.5 mgs daily till May 22nd 2018, Xanax 1.25 mgs daily. Holding

Hi, EW, boy can I relate to memory issues. Thinking back, though, I really started to notice st memory problems when I'd been on ad's for about 7 or 8 years. I truly believe that problems with our memories started while on the poisons. I cannot fault wd, at least in my case. Since I stopped remeron, my memory has gotten a lot better. Not perfect for sure, and st memory is still problematic, but tons better than a year ago, before quitting ad's all together! Barbara is right, try not to stress about it. We're early in wd and it will get better!!

I started withdrawing off remeron in August of 2009, with the help of a holistic physician.The reason for the withdrawal was a year or two of off and on nausea, deterioration in my thinking, and more depression. It took me a full year to work from 135 mg down to 45mg. At that point, more drops were causing more depression. Unfortuately, the nervousness that I was also feeling for the last year continued with the 45 mg. Thirty one days ago, I stopped the remeron. I am still feeling the nervousness every day and the last week, I am feeling what I think is depression but not sure. In bed in the morning, I'm already dreading another day feeling this way. I am intensely unsure of myself and find it very hard to do anything. I was a practicing veterinarian for 29 years until I found I could not practice anymore. First of all I couldn't think, or remember, and I had absolutely no confidence in anything I did. These were things I did with relative ease for twenty+ years. So, this feeling of no confidence has been during the time I was on the AD(the last 2 years) and today. I take no other medication other than my blood pressure meds. I tried supplements with my holistic dr. but they seemed to make the intense nervousness even more intense. Anyway, I truly feel stuck.

Serotonin definitely does not help and, imho -harms -thinking ability when used long term. Executive function, planning ability, etc. Concentration is gone.

The dysautonomia and chaos caused by withdrawal magnifies and complicates it more, i think. My GUESS is that it is related to cortisol/stress interfering with cognitive function.

When i was first tapering, I played 'mind games' with someone of very high ability. I s***k at Trivial Pursuit generally; he was on Jeopardy (just for some context). We used different approaches to sharpen and test one another. If he went for awhile without practicing, he got noticeably rusty. I read questions from Trivial Pursuit to him in rapid-fire succession. Within an hour, his hit rate increased from 60% to about 90%. It was fascinating. I was able to answer questions that i had no idea I knew the answer to or when I learned it. This showed me so much about thinking, memory, retrieval, etc. I also went to places where they play video trivia to test myself. Those trivia games are multiple choice and take away the wrong choices slowly, so timing is rewarded. When the question appeared, I answered immediately, going with my gut even on topics I knew nothing about. I was shocked at questions I answered correctly when i didnt try to think. The amount of information that we store un/subconsciously is amazing. It's accessing it that is problematic.

Just my little case study ;)

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 3 weeks later...

This is one of the most annoying things. I supplement with high strength fish oil since I went off these drugs 9.5months ago and my memory is terrible. I can remember when reading boring books, and you get to the bottom of a page and forget what you just read on that page. Now, post AD's, I get that after reading a sentence or two of something i used to consider interesting. And it takes a considerable effort to focus on the words I'm reading.

I can totally relate to the feeling of coming from another planet into my current life. The feeling of so much of your history and who you are is erased or like it never existed.

I have always been a devour of information and knowledge. It's my favorite pastime. Not being able to study and retain interesting things has been a cruel situation to be in. My life is on hold

I am there with all of you. When getting on an AD it affects my memory and when getting off and AD ther is impairment. It's scary because it reminds me of Alzheimer's Disease.

However, when I am not tapering on or off I am fine. So I know it is the brain chemistry that is being affected.

Like someone with Alzheimers, I can remember things that happened 30 years ago, but ask me what I had for Breakfast this morning and I go blank.

I never said this before....because it bothered me so much. Here it goes..........

After I lost my job (the economy) I had a few jobs (they were terrible) but I was having a terrible time retaining and remembering how to do the jobs. I took notes and was unable to memorize them at night.

I would go blank as a new employee, (from not remembering), and the sweat would start dripping down my back, my face would become flush and I would start to have panic attacks.

In today's world it is not acceptable to be human and make errors or forget. There are 500 people in line behind you waiting to be hired. This is one of the reasons people occupied Wall Street.

It is so much better for me to be self employed. I am a hands on person, always was. That type of presure is off of me now...and Thank God for that ^_^

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

A very irritating side effect for me is the memory thing where you can't think of the word. It is improving as I taper. Caffeine is apparently also a factor in this, and I've mostly given that up, so that could be helping too.

2005 St John's Wort / 2006-2012 Lexapro 20mg, 2 failed attempts to stop, tapered over 4.5 months in early 2012

January 2013 started Sertraline, over time worked up to 100mg

July 2014 Sertraline dropped from 100mg to 75mg, held for six months, slower tapering until 2019 22 Dec 3.2mg

2020 Sertraline 19 Jan 3.1mg, 26 Jan 3.0mg; 1 Mar 2.9, 7 Mar 2.8, May (some drops here) 24 May 2.5, May 29 2.4, June 21 2.3, June 28 2.2mg,  July 4 2.1mg, July 24 (or maybe a bit before) 2mg, early Nov switched to home made suspension; 29 Nov 1.8mg; approx 25 Dec 1.6mg)

2021 Some time in about Jan/Feb realised probably on more like 1.8mg and poss mixing error in making suspension; doses after 10 Feb accurate; 10 Feb 1.6mg; 7 Mar 1.4, continued monthly

10% drops until 1mg, then dropped 0.1mg monthly.

May 2022,0.1mg, now dropping 0.01mg per week

29 August 2022 - first day of zero!

My thread here at SA: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/1775-bubbles/page/21/

Current: Armour Thyroid

A very irritating side effect for me is the memory thing where you can't think of the word. It is improving as I taper. Caffeine is apparently also a factor in this, and I've mostly given that up, so that could be helping too.

Geez, I thought I was losing my mind, along with problems with short term memory.

History:

1995--Prozac--Quit CT by GP

1995--Effexor--Quit per my GP

1996--Amitriphene--Quit CT when changed GP

2005--Citalopram and BusPar. Prescribed when I decompensated in my GP's office. GP referred me to behavior health. Psychiatrist prescibed these drugs. Taken off citalopram in 2011 due to FDA warning. Quit Buspar during transition to viibryd.

Viibryd--2011 to present. Had a severe reaction in March 2012. Advised both GP and Psychiatrist I was trying to get off these drugs.

Like someone with Alzheimers, I can remember things that happened 30 years ago, but ask me what I had for Breakfast this morning and I go blank.

Yes! That's exactly what I'm experiencing. Ugh, how annoying

• 2 months later...

Anyone have any luck with any supplements that have helped this? I have heard some success with Fish oil but unfortantley it gives me insomnia at higher doses. Is choline or Lecithin affective? My memory and brain fog are my worse symptoms at this point.

Thanks

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

2.5mg.8 months no wd issues

Dropped pax 4-10-12

5-9-12 started prozac to alleviate symptoms (no relief)

5-22-12 reinstated paxil 2.5mg

5-28-12 5mg pax (couldn't tolerate sides)

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Cerebrolysin to help with wd at 29 months. Horrible decision much worse.

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

• Administrator

Are you taking fish oil in divided doses throughout the day?

I tried all sorts of things in the fall of 2010 when cog fog was my second most potent w/d symptom. Unfortunately hypersensitivity was my strongest w/d symptom and trying cog enhancing supplements actually caused me a bit of trouble.

I tried lecithin. After three doses I had a severe setback. For about two weeks I didn't shower and largely stayed in bed. I had increased anxiety/stimulussensitivy for a few months after...

Do you respond well to supplements? If fish oil is causing overstimulation, I'd recommend caution with the brain boosters.

- Zimmerman

Hey Hawk,

I just looked at your signature and noticed you just completed your taper a couple of weeks ago after about 7 years on, is that right?

- Zimmerman

Hey Hawk,

I just looked at your signature and noticed you just completed your taper a couple of weeks ago after about 7 years on, is that right?

yes that is correct. My brain fog and memory loss are debilitating right now. I am sooo terried that I will be like this forever. I have read many other posts from user and it seems the ones who suffer from the debilating brain fog issues seem to never fully recover. What was your brain fog like? Did it get better? How long did it take to seen improvement?

Thanks

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Still suffering sever Brain fog, Confusion, slow thinking,And just feeling sick and weird (hard to explain),facial twitching, weakness, shaking and jerking

Are you taking fish oil in divided doses throughout the day?

Alto I am only taking one capsule in the AM. Unfortunantley fish oil was gives me intense insomnia at higher doses.

Paxil 10mg 2004-2011

7.5mg 4months

5mg. 4months

Dropped pax 4-10-12

6-22-12 Pax 2.5

6-30-12 Pax O

Hey Hawk,

yes that is correct. My brain fog and memory loss are debilitating right now. I am sooo terried that I will be like this forever. I have read many other posts from user and it seems the ones who suffer from the debilating brain fog issues seem to never fully recover. What was your brain fog like? Did it get better? How long did it take to seen improvement?

Thanks

Wow Hawk I am going through the same thing right now, check out my post introducing myself, the cognitive fog is unbelievable , three months laters i cannont put words together, feel kinda out of it zombie like, memory for words is shot, trying to find answers, i have always took 2 fish oils at high epa and dha levels through out all my anti dep use, i was on effexor for 6 years, now off it for 3 months, hard getting by, but i don't feel horrible just scared/worried about the brain fog symptoms, hoping for some good positive info!nice to know i am not alone,

2007-2012started Effexor xr 225mg -150mg- Varied2months of Taper,(March 22/2012 Off Med/in W/D)Currently No medicationMarch 22/2012- August 16/2012 - Totally Off Effexor( Rough Rough time) Reinstatement for a week(didn't work)****** New Doctor******* Very nice/helpful and in touch.Tried Zoloft- No successAUGUST 17/2012- STARTED 37.5 EFFEXOR FOR ONE WEEK - NOT GOOD < STOPPED.Started Buspar Oct 11th 2012----10 mg for the first 7 days and then 15mg a day---- Taking a new route----Racing thoughts - Gone.Oct 9th ( Done Zoloft,wellbutrin week project trial to feel better) - OFFICIALLY OFF ANTI DEPRESSANT !Oct 26 - Raised Buspar to 20mg a day- Tolerating wellJan 2nd 2013-

Reduce Buspar until full off march 20th 2015 Off all medication !

Tried natural supplements to no avail

Gluten/sugar free since december 2013

Hey Hawk,

Thanks

I'm really sorry to hear how bad things are going right now. I remember my first few months off and I simply couldn't focus, concentrate, remember, etc... In my case, I got a lot better fairly rapidly. I saw serious improvement in a few months, though our circumstances are quite different.

Unfortunately, like I said, a larger problem has been with hypersensitivity. I have tried many remedies for my withdrawal problems and ultimately I am much worse off now in many ways.

If I was in your shoes, as terrible and frightening as things are right now, I would be cautious. Eat right, get exercise at the appropriate level, get sunshine... Give yourself some time. Your body has been through a lot in coming off this drug and needs to be left alone to rconfigure.

It's pretty much a guarantee that you wont feel this way forever...even if it doesn't feel that way right now.

Good luck,

Alex

- Zimmerman

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy