Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration, cognitive, and memory problems

Denstar51

Is the lack of brain zaps an indication of the brain not being able to recover? Im wondering cause I see that most people who cognitively recovered had intense symptoms, while for others who didnt, the blank mind never came together with such sensations

- Few sparse doses of zoloft (25mg) from 2012-2022 (maybe ten doses)

- One dose of 100 Zoloft + 5 Abilify in 2019

- Consistent polypharmacy (50-300 zoloft, 5-10 Abilify, 10 Brintellix) from December 2021 to April 2022.

- Cold turkey of all drugs in April 2022

In hindsight, recognizing that I had adverse reaction from low dosage yet I was completely unaware of it (dissociative episodes, blank mind). I thought it was due to my disorder and essentially incorporated the behavioural aspects stemming from the reaction to my own personality.

Diagnosis = OCD (first made in 2009)

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't think so braindead94.

On 1/23/2023 at 6:31 AM, braindead94 said:

cause I see that most people who cognitively recovered had intense symptoms, while for others who didnt, the blank mind never came together with such sensations

Likely that the ones who might be writing about it all, have had intense symptoms is all.

Focus on healing......work on changing your negative into something a bit more hopeful.  It's got to be in there for you.......healing that is.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 2 weeks later...

Did any of you went through neuropsychological testing to confirm there’s objective cog impairment? 

~2014-2016 Paroxetine 20mg, fast tapered in a month

Three months later reinstated 20mg

2016-2022 Few unsuccessful tapers 

June 2022 - 20mg > 17.5mg

July 2022 - 17.5mg > 15mg

Crashed hard - brain fog, anhedonia, fatigue 

August/September 2022 - 15mg > 20mg > 30mg 

November 2022 - bridged to 30mg Prozac from 30mg paroxetine over 1.5 months 

23.12.22 - upped Prozac to 40mg 

Currently: 40mg Prozac, 400mg glyc magnesium, 4k IU D3 again, 0.5mg melatonin, 2k mg fish oil Main problems: brain fog, fatigue, anhedonia

• 3 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 8:22 AM, Kyle1234 said:

Does anyone suffer from a type of ‘brain damaged’ feeling whereby your brain doesn’t process visual or auditory stimuli anywhere near as well as you used to? I feel trapped inside my head because what I see and hear doesn’t register in my head, almost like it actively ignores it. This is by far the worst symptom I am currently suffering from and it is debilitating.

I noticed that during acute withdrawal my vision suddenly became ‘3D’ and hearing became so much clearer, I realised that I’ve actually suffered from this during the time I was in the medication but it wasn’t noticeable. But since experiencing intense brain zaps/electrical activity and subsequent ‘brain freeze’ which stopped this overnight, the brain damage feeling has got so bad and I can’t function.

Any stories or understanding from others would provide some much needed reassurance.

Thanks!

this is exactly whats happening to me right now. I cant even watch a movie because I literally do not understand it, cannot follow the dialogue for more than a few seconds without getting confused its awful. It does feel like brain damage and its really scary but hopefully it resolves overtime 

2021 Apr: zoloft 50mg eventually up to 200mg

2022 Oct: zoloft quick taper down to 50 mg (Nov) quit at 50mg mid-Nov 

2022 late Dec - Feb 15 '23: ativan 0.5 mg-1mg  on and off 

2022 Dec 30 - Jan 20: zoloft 75mg for 3-ish weeks 

2023 Jan 24: prozac 20mg taken 4 days (bad reaction)

2023 Jan 27: mirtazipine 15mg | (TRIED SWITCHING TO 25mg or 50mg ZOLOFT FROM FEB 12-13 WHILE ON MIRTAZIPINE, bad reaction) | Feb 13-15 '23: 30 mg | Feb 16-18: 15 mg, Feb 19 - current: 7.5mg 

-Since mid-Jan have taken a number of sleep pills only once and Gabapentin (200-600 mg) taken as needed, have tried CBD on and off, fish oil, antibiotics for UTI

-Since Feb 19 I have taken only 7.5mg Mirtazipine and the occasional fish oil, nothing else 

On 11/24/2022 at 4:22 PM, Kyle1234 said:

Does anyone suffer from a type of ‘brain damaged’ feeling whereby your brain doesn’t process visual or auditory stimuli anywhere near as well as you used to? I feel trapped inside my head because what I see and hear doesn’t register in my head, almost like it actively ignores it. This is by far the worst symptom I am currently suffering from and it is debilitating.

I noticed that during acute withdrawal my vision suddenly became ‘3D’ and hearing became so much clearer, I realised that I’ve actually suffered from this during the time I was in the medication but it wasn’t noticeable. But since experiencing intense brain zaps/electrical activity and subsequent ‘brain freeze’ which stopped this overnight, the brain damage feeling has got so bad and I can’t function.

Any stories or understanding from others would provide some much needed reassurance.

Thanks!

I'm 2 and a half months of Effexor and this is precisely my experience. Watching movies and following conversations is very very hard. I retain almost no information and a lot of times fing myself asking for people to repeat what they said.

Reading is a terrible experience. Sometimes I have to re read memes on the internet once or twice just to understand them. Reading books has proven tremendously hard.

Memory and cognition are also affected. Sometimes I try to remember a song or an actor's name and I feel I have the answer on the tip of my tongue and it takes a long while and genuine effort to come up with the name. End up making tons of mistakes and confusing some names. Speaking coherently has also proven difficult. Sometimes it's like the words just don't flow naturally, I need to "speak manually", make a mental effort to speak the way I intend.

When it comes to reading, I try to combat this by forcing myself to form a visual depiction of what I'm reading, instead of trying to understand it immediately. Almost like a brain translation. Words on paper don't evoke much understanding, so I do a mental drawing. It doesn't do wonders, but I'm still learning tools.

Also, can anyone show me people that got rid of the cognitive impairments? I intend to pursue an education and a job in programming and my current situation scares me 😕

September of 2021: Started taking Effexor XR 150mg, two Amissulpride 50mg and Ambien as an SOS. Effexor taken in the morning with the Amissulpride and the second Amissulpride tablet at night.

Somewhere in 2022: I dropped the Amissulpride to one tablet a day and then stopped completely after 3 months.

September 2022: I tapered to 75 mg of Effexor XR

25th of January of 2023: I tapered to 37,5 mg

February 27th: Stopped and been medication free since then. Take around 1/2 ambien a month when I have insomnia

2 minutes ago, zepedroj said:

I'm 2 and a half months of Effexor and this is precisely my experience. Watching movies and following conversations is very very hard. I retain almost no information and a lot of times fing myself asking for people to repeat what they said.

Reading is a terrible experience. Sometimes I have to re read memes on the internet once or twice just to understand them. Reading books has proven tremendously hard.

Memory and cognition are also affected. Sometimes I try to remember a song or an actor's name and I feel I have the answer on the tip of my tongue and it takes a long while and genuine effort to come up with the name. End up making tons of mistakes and confusing some names. Speaking coherently has also proven difficult. Sometimes it's like the words just don't flow naturally, I need to "speak manually", make a mental effort to speak the way I intend.

When it comes to reading, I try to combat this by forcing myself to form a visual depiction of what I'm reading, instead of trying to understand it immediately. Almost like a brain translation. Words on paper don't evoke much understanding, so I do a mental drawing. It doesn't do wonders, but I'm still learning tools.

Also, can anyone show me people that got rid of the cognitive impairments? I intend to pursue an education and a job in programming and my current situation scares me 😕

I think for most the cognitive impairments resolve overtime, but theres probably things you can do to speed up the process I know fish oil is good for the brain aswell as eating healthy and all that

2023 Jan 27: mirtazipine 15mg | (TRIED SWITCHING TO 25mg or 50mg ZOLOFT FROM FEB 12-13 WHILE ON MIRTAZIPINE, bad reaction) | Feb 13-15 '23: 30 mg | Feb 16-18: 15 mg, Feb 19 - current: 7.5mg 

-Since mid-Jan have taken a number of sleep pills only once and Gabapentin (200-600 mg) taken as needed, have tried CBD on and off, fish oil, antibiotics for UTI

-Since Feb 19 I have taken only 7.5mg Mirtazipine and the occasional fish oil, nothing else 

36 minutes ago, 18yoldoffZoloft said:

I think for most the cognitive impairments resolve overtime, but theres probably things you can do to speed up the process I know fish oil is good for the brain aswell as eating healthy and all that

I should definitely start with at least a fish oil supplement. Just going to wait a month or so. Sadly my parents have been bombarded with medical bills trying to understand what the hell is wrong with me. I've come to terms that is withdrawal 

September of 2021: Started taking Effexor XR 150mg, two Amissulpride 50mg and Ambien as an SOS. Effexor taken in the morning with the Amissulpride and the second Amissulpride tablet at night.

Somewhere in 2022: I dropped the Amissulpride to one tablet a day and then stopped completely after 3 months.

February 27th: Stopped and been medication free since then. Take around 1/2 ambien a month when I have insomnia

mine too I feel really guilty, I'm trying to come to terms that everything I'm experiencing is temporary so I don't freak out too much, although it doesn't feel temporary

13 minutes ago, 18yoldoffZoloft said:

mine too I feel really guilty, I'm trying to come to terms that everything I'm experiencing is temporary so I don't freak out too much, although it doesn't feel temporary

I don't know how you are, but please don't feel guilty about it.

We were caught up in this bs situation. We thought we were taking terribly safe medication. At least in my case, my psychiatrist never warned me of side effects from withdrawal. When I started getting migraines that led to a handful of hospital visits genuinely thought a part of my brain was dead.

I'm sure your parents did it just for your well-being and would do it again. We have depression, so we tend to under-comunicate our struggles and woes. I too am working on that.

5 hours ago, zepedroj said:

I’ve been holding at a low dose for about 8 months after a big crash. My cognitive impairments a noticeably lifting now. It’s been pretty bad though. It’s not 100% but it’s much better than it has been. It does improve it just takes time and patience (easier said than done)

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

8 hours ago, Thorin said:

I’ve been holding at a low dose for about 8 months after a big crash. My cognitive impairments a noticeably lifting now. It’s been pretty bad though. It’s not 100% but it’s much better than it has been. It does improve it just takes time and patience (easier said than done)

That's good to know. I'm very afraid of reinstating since some people get adverse effects. I'll be holding a couple more months and see the progress.

Hope we all get better sooner than later 

17 hours ago, zepedroj said:

That's good to know. I'm very afraid of reinstating since some people get adverse effects. I'll be holding a couple more months and see the progress.

Hope we all get better sooner than later 

love the bojack pfp 😊

10 hours ago, 18yoldoffZoloft said:

love the bojack pfp 😊

This show helped me through some though times. Had to pay homage to sad horse

• 1 month later...

Currently on lamictal 200mg and fluvoxamine 175 mg daily. I lowered the fluvoxamine MONTHS ago-I was at 200mg daily. These days have been really rough with brain fog on and off but this morning I woke up with baaaaddd brain fog and other symptoms. I decided to do some prayer and it did help,  except with the brain fog. Two days ago (Wednesday) I had two sodas. What are y’alls experiences with brain fog after sugar? Timelinewise the onset and duration. Also important to note this Wednesday I accidentally took my meds 2 hrs after the scheduled time. And that same night I drank two sodas but jeesh can brain fog come along this much after drinking soda? My cognition is off too. Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Started my medicine journey June of 2013. Obessions that were tied to fears. Basically OCD in many forms. I don’t have an accurate drug history between 2013 and 2018 but some meds I remember are viibryd, prozac, clomipramine, klonopin, quetiapine, etc.

Gabapentin  300mg Oct. 11, 2018 to Dec. 11, 2018; Aripiprazole 5mg Oct. 11, 2018 to Oct. 24, 2018 then upped to 10mg Oct. 24, 2018 to Nov. 24, 2018. Lamotrigine 25mg Oct. 24, 2018 to to Nov. 8, 2018. On Feb. 27, 2021 went up to 100mg. On March 24, 2021 went up too 200mg to present. Bupropion HCI 75mg Oct. 25, 2018 for one month only. Venlafaxine HCI ER 24HR 75mg Feb. 27, 2021. On June 4, 2021 went down to 37.5mg and continued until Feb. 24, 2022 on that same dose. Stopped the ven Feb. 24, 2022. 
Fluvoxamine 150mg May 4, 2021. Went up to 200mg on March 16, 2022. Went down to 175mg Sept. 12, 2022 to present.

Hydroxyzine 25mg filled three a total of three times sporadically between November 2021 and March 16, 2022. 
Currently take B-Complex, Vitamin DK, Fish Oil, and Magnesium. 
and current meds are lamotrigine 100mg at morning and 100mg at night; and fluvoxamine 175mg only at night

• 2 weeks later...

Can wd mimic menopause , I’m now 44 years old and 28 months past a adverse reaction and I don’t know if these symptoms are wd or early menopause? My gyno said I’m not in menopause but I don’t believe doctors anymore , I don’t have hot flashes or a hard time sleeping , I just have a lot of thoughts , instructive one amd feeling tired fatigue which causes me to think I’m dying and I have a disease lurking with in me ,…. I read up on peri menopause and some of the symptoms are the same as wd , any help would be greatly appreciated also I didn’t know where to ask this question 

2021:  started celexa 10mg feb 2nd 

feb 25th took my last 10g; feb 26th 5mg; feb 27th 5mg; feb 28th 2021 cold turkey 

currently taking mag

• 3 months later...
  • Altostrata changed the title to Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration, cognitive, and memory problems
  • 4 months later...

Dear peers,

I have now been off all psychotropic drugs for over 5 1/5 years (I stopped taking imipramine te last). The first three years were pure hell and then things slowly got better.
Things are going reasonably well at the moment. If I don't have too much hustle and bustle around me, I feel pretty good.
The problem that I still encounter the most, and what worries me most, are the cognitive limitations such as: Information is not processed properly (internally and externally), a lot of problems with executive functions that do not work properly (slow thinking, problems with reading, deeper/abstract and complex thinking does not work well), The brain only works partially (everything is slowed down, not clear and not complete), It is as if many connections in the brain can no longer be established. This causes constant errors in cognitive processes, which in turn leads to fears and negative emotions.

I experience all this as very frustrating because I have everything ready, in terms of work and relationships, to live a nice life. However, if this cognitive problem does not improve, it will not be possible to continue.

Are there people here who recognize these kinds of problems after several years off pills, and what is the prognosis for this recovery?
My biggest fear right now is that permanent damage has been done.

Imipramine 100 to 175 mg in last 24 months, tapper in 3 months to 0 mg, 8-08-2018 last dose of 10 mg.

Nortriptyline 50 mg tapper about one year ago, but don't know exactly anymore.

Before 24 months ago a lot of different psycho medication (poison) different kinds of antidepressants (tca, mao inhibitors, ssri's, snri's, mirtazepine) , benzo's, lithium, anti-psychotics.

Currently using vitamin D, B12, Q10, magnesium, iron, L-theanine

For hart condition: acenocoumarol, furosemide, lanoxin, irbesartan, atenolol activis

On 4/2/2022 at 12:42 PM, Bjeck said:

Mine has gotten significantly better. There's a ton of different causes of brain fog, even when you're not in the midst of withdrawal. So I worked at eliminating the things that can contribute to it normally to try to "lighten the load".

The reason I wanted to reply though, is you mentioned "pressure in your head". That went hand in hand with my brain fog. The number 1 cause of tension headaches is an imbalance in your posture muscles. I don't know about you, but I was practically bed ridden during the worst of my withdrawals. So it made sense that mine weakened.

Exercising those made a HUGE difference for the brain fog and pressure. And they're pretty non-strenuous and easy to do.

What exercises did you do? If you remember @Bjeck

May 2019 started lexapro 2.5 mg; 2020 went to every other day; 2021 beginning of Mar, tried to stop but had insomnia; Mar 30, 2021 reinstated 1.25 ev other day, WD symptoms, not enough

April 19, 2021 started liquid, .85 mg/day; May 1, 2021 .8 mg, May 6 .75 mg; June 6 .7 mg, June 20 .65mg, June 30  .6mg, Jul 24 .55 mg, Oct 17 .5 mg, Dec 5- .45 mg; Jan 26, 2022- 4mg,  April 18- .375 ; April 24- .35; April 29- .3; Jun 12- .25 mg; Jun 28- .2 lex; Sept- .15 mg, Nov .1- long hold, never got better

June ‘23- PPPD started 🙁, Jun- .09, Jul- .08, Oct- .07, Dec- .06, Jan ‘24- .05!

Taking Magnesium, whole foods iron, & natural supplements as needed for sleep

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy