SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Brain fog: blank mind, comprehension, concentration, cognitive, and memory problems

Denstar51

• Administrator

jevang, I moved your post to our existing "brain fog" topic. You can see that a lot of people have posted about it.

Yes, people recover, but like all iatrogenic problems from these drugs, improvement is very gradual, slow, and frustrating.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 4 weeks later...

Did anybody else have that symptom? I noticed that my memory is a lot stronger now (been off of fluoxetine for a year, so my symptoms are improving). I also noticed that while I was on the medication, my short-term memory wasn't too great. My memory was even worse while/after withdrawing.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Chadilsa.

Yes, memory problems are very common, especially during and after withdrawal. Here's a thread that you may find helpful:

Brain Fog: Blank mind, comprehension, cognitive and memory problems

Please start a new thread in the Introductions section so we can get to know you and provide support and information. Here's the link:

Introductions and Updates

Edited by ChessieCat
updated link

• Moderator Emeritus

YES, definitely have the short-term memory loss!  I had cog fog bad in withdrawal, and can't say it is all that much better even with reinstatement and a year of slow tapering. Looking forward to the day I'm totally off and on to recovery with regards to the poor memory, concentration etc.

SG

Started ADs back around 1995 after bad break-up, starting with Prozac.  Switched to Wellbutrin, and then to Effexor in 2002
Effexor XR 2002-2014 up to 225 mg at one point, down to 37.5 mg towards end but back up to 75 mg in 2014; now realize I had W/D as I dropped down, memory very poor about history.  Extreme emotions, poor concentration as I stepped back down, didn't connect the dots!
Summer 2014 reduced to 0 very quickly, was sick of anhedonia/sexual dysfunction due to meds, depression never controlled if not worse. Didn't recognize WD since symptoms built slowly (thought I had ADD! and menopausal on top of it), starting with severe sweats, very bad cog-fog and memory issues, culminating in weight loss, severe anxiety and depression, panic, severe apathy and insomnia by eight months off.  Saw p-doc who put me on Remeron, increased from 7.5 mg/day to 37.5 mg by May 22, 2015; still doing very badly though able to sleep.

June 1. 2015 Reinstated Effexor XR 37.5 mg, Remeron dropped to 30 mg PM. Immediate relief of symptoms, like nothing had ever happened!  Joined SA and began on advice of friend who recognized it was WD all along! Began tapering in July 2015.

Been tapering both meds ever since, focusing on one more than the other or doing no more than 5% of each per month.

12 mg Effexor and 5.8 mg Remeron (mirtazapine SolTabs to make a solution with OraPlus) as of 5/4/2017 

Update 3/14/18: 2.9 mg Remeron and 6 mg Effexor; 6/10/18:  2.6 mg Remeron and 4.9 mg Effexor

My intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9313-squirrellygirl-effexor-withdrawal-etc/page-2#entry196679

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

• 2 weeks later...

I've now been 8 months off of Prozac. I am 32 years old and now have memory problems,  trouble word finding and spelling. It is debilitating especially at work. I actually work for a neurology clinic so I see patient's that have memory loss, dementia and Alzheimer's disease. I fear that this is permanent. I am in the prime of my life and I have lost so many months of it already. When I tell doctor's it is from the medication, I just get an awkward look and a moment of silence.  Then I am asked if i'm having a relapse of depression. My depression never went away, it was only extremely worsened by prozac. I have bad days and worse days and a couple of good in between. I am living hour by hour, moment by moment, trying to keep my head above water. 

I have a 2 year old that depends on me. It is very overwhelming. I am looking for words of encouragement. Thanks!

Prozac 9/2015-1/2016 - Caused depression. Withdrawal symptoms - joint pain, fatigue, off balance, blurred vision, perceptual disturbances. 1 month taper.

Sam-E 1/2016- 3/2016 - Withdrawal symptoms - pins and needles in face, arms, hands, legs, feet. Joint pain and muscle twitching. Depersonalization. Brain fog and severe cognitive thinking issues(reversing the spelling of words), slowed reaction time. Hallucinations from the sides of my eyes, blurred vision. Feeling like I'm going to fall off a cliff. Fatigue, flu- like symptoms, Brain shivers. 3 week taper.

Had Brain MRI 4/5/16- Completely Normal

If you work for a clinic then you are surrounded by professionals, ask them what you should do. 

I can tell you that cognitive issues are not uncommon along with Depression, in fact, cognitive function is diminished/altered with many mental health disorders.

1. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4304584/
  2. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2759342/
  3. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4160365/

You could look into memory improvement solutions, stuff like 'racetams' may help a lot (Piracetam or Aniracetam).

CNS Neurosci Ther. 2012 Apr;18(4):302-12. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-5949.2010.00244.x. Epub 2011 Feb 26.
Clinical efficacy of aniracetam, either as monotherapy or combined with cholinesterase inhibitors, in patients with cognitive impairment: a comparative open study.
Abstract
INTRODUCTION:

Dementia constitutes an increasingly prevalent cognitive disorder with serious socioeconomic implications.

AIMS:

In the present study, we aimed to evaluate the efficacy of aniracetam, either as monotherapy or combined with cholinesterase inhibitors (ChEIs), in terms of several neuropsychological parameters, in a considerable number of patients with dementia.

RESULTS:

In our prospective, open-label study, we enrolled a total of 276 patients (mean age 71 ± 8 years, 95 males) with cognitive disorders. Our study population comprised four groups: no treatment group (n = 75), aniracetam monotherapy group (n = 58), ChEIs monotherapy group (n = 68), and group of combined treatment (n = 68). Patients were examined with validated neuropsychological tests at baseline, 3, 6, and 12 months of treatment. In patients treated with aniracetam, all studied parameters were adequately maintained at 6 and 12 months, while emotional state was significantly improved at 3 months. In patients treated with ChEIs, we observed a significant cognitive deterioration at 12 months. The comparison between aniracetam and ChEIs in patients with relatively mild dementia (15 ≤ MMSE ≤ 25) revealed a significantly better cognitive performance with aniracetam at 6 months and improved functionality at 3 months. Comparing aniracetam monotherapy with combined treatment in the same population, aniracetam performed better in the cognitive scale at 6 months, and displayed a notable tendency for enhanced mood at 12 months and improved functionality at 6 months.

CONCLUSIONS:

Our findings indicate that aniracetam (a nootropic compound with glutamatergic activity and neuroprotective potential) is a promising option for patients with cognitive deficit of mild severity. It preserved all neuropsychological parameters for at least 12 months, and seemed to exert a favorable effect on emotional stability of demented patients.

© 2011 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.

Past AD Experiences : (Fluvoxamine 3 years, D/C'd @ age 15).

Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it

~Terry Pratchett~

WITHDRAWAL REGIMEN/STORY

Originally for OCD, the luvox took about 6 months to taper off.

Withdrawal supplements; lemon balm, Vitamin B3, black water/fulvic acid, high-protein diet to restore neurotransmitters, aniracetam to counter memory issues, deprenyl for persisting anhedonia.

Regimen still maintained til this day. Lemon balm, generally as capsules, however, as I suffer chronic Insomnia, I often use essential oil or as aromatherapy before bed , in combination with magnesium and lysine on bad nights.

Hi Jenk-- Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your words and such.  I can tell you that it does get better.  Cognitive problems like short term memory, finding words and spelling are a very common problem while on or coming off of these drugs. Just about everyone here has experienced them. It's all part of how these drugs work, by blunting all the functions of the brain.  Cognitive issues are one of those things that just have to be put up with and worked around as best as possible until they clear up on their own.  Post-it notes, cellphone reminders and a clipboard were my constant friends for several years while I was going through the acute phase of WD.  Now it has cleared to the point I don't need them any more.  I do rely on my cellphone as a PDA, but I have a ton of stuff going on right now.  I have also found that mind exercises, memory games and some video games (concentration/matching games) are helpful in rebuilding mental strength.

I worked as a professional writer for many years and the loss of my words was quite disheartening.  I found that it was mostly in conversation though and although writing had to be taken slower they were still there. Thank god for spell checkers.  Now that I'm out of the throws of acute WD I am finding conversations much easier and have actually been writing for the fun of it.

We do not advocate using additional medication to try and improve cognitive function while in WD or recovery.  Our brains are fighting a tremendous battle right now trying to sort out what has happened to them because of the original drugs.  To throw more drugs at it is just adding fuel to the fire. Given time and AAF (do a forum search) these problems will clear up on their own.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

I experienced major cognitive and language-specific problems as well until I reinstated Paxil. And they come back to a lesser degree each time I drop the tapering dose.

Medication before problems: Took Paxil 60-100mg from 2003 to 2014 for OCD.
1) Last pill taken November 2014, horrendous withdrawal started six weeks later.

2) Re-instated successfully @ 20mg May 2015, but accompanied by severe anhedonia, loss of emotion, apathy, and fatigue

3) Switched to Prozac, Viibyrd, Zoloft, Nefazadone, Cymbalta, Nardil in attempt at abating WD symptoms while not re-introducing anhedonia. Each one either failed to relieve WD or brought back anhedonia. So re-stabilized on Paxil at 15mg

4) Tapered down to 7.5mg as of October 2016. More energy, anhedonia/loss of emotions remains apart from short windows.

5) May 2017 - down to 3.5mg of Paxil (no other meds)
6) Early 2018 - added 8mg of Prozac
7) January 2019 - down to 1.05 Paxil / 5mg Prozac and continuing

8) October 2019 - down to 0.2mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac

9) November 2019 - down to 0.1mg Paxil / 3mg Prozac 

10) March 2020 - done with Paxil, 2.5mg Prozac

11) April 2021 - 0.03mg Prozac

• 2 months later...

lately I am having trouble with my short term memory. I had this in the beginning, but then it got better. As of late, it has worsened again. Has anyone experienced anything like this? This is really scaring me.

Took Prozac  (generic Fluoxetine) 10 mg for 4.5 months. First and only psych med. Stopped cold turkey. Been in protracted withdrawal for 2 years since I stopped ssri.

• Moderator Emeritus

Tweety-rose, I've moved your post from the topic about brain "remodeling" to this one. Please read it from the first page. You will find that many others have experienced the same symptoms you are.

1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Zero short term memory for a long time still ongoing, other symptoms are way too more severe and disabling so I never even counted this one in my list of symptoms.

I read it's one of the most common effect of these drug, either on them or getting off from them.

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi. I have been on high doses of antidepressants since 13 or 14 years of age. I am 39. My memory has been getting steadily worse. The last couple of years especially have been frightening for me. I know stress can cause memory loss but could this be a side effect? If so, will my memories come back? Daily it makes life frustrating but honestly the worst part is not being able to remember life at school, years of my marriage, etc. Tell me the memories are still there? If it does come back, how long does it take?

Began tapering on 9/22/16 from 150mg EffexorXR

Freedom on 05/10/17
I'm finding life again after YEARS of meds that made me out of it and gaming addiction that took me from real life.

Remember, slow and steady wins the race! 

My concentration isn't great so I haven't read every post to check whether this has been mentioned already, but I have been to see a counselor who specializes in post-traumatic stress and was informed that regular breathing exercises improve short-term memory.  

Following their advice, I have begun 'square breathing' (which is imagine a square - breathe in through your nose for a count of four, hold for a count of four, and breathe out through your mouth for a count of eight - the last two sides of the square)  and also 7-11 breathing (breathe in for a count of 7 through your nose and out for a count of 11).

After seeing them, I discovered that some of the resources they used are available here:- 

http://in8.uk.com/information-resources/7-11-breathing/

(The above link is a page on breathing with a 7-11 download).

They were a human givens therapist and also had an interesting explanation of psychosis for those that have experienced this - linking it to REM sleep. 

History:- 1993: - prescribed Prozac - soon started having momentary episodes of psychosis - 1994: psychotic breakdown  - prescribed high doses of antipsychotics including Depixol, Chlorpromazine (with procyclidine to control pacing) and later prescribed olanzapine, haloperidol, risperidone with different antidepressants (relapsed or crashed each time I tried to reduce or withdraw from meds).  Can't recall all combinations of drugs have been on.   2007: amisulpride 400mg & venlafaxine 75mg    2013: Got down to 150mg amisulpride, but hospitalised with v.bad psychosis after dropping to this dose and coerced into taking 600mg (always hit problems when dropping below 200mg)  2014: reduced and then problematic symptoms of psychosis, mid-Dec - back up to 200mg,

Feb 2015 had reduced to 180.5mg crashed badly and suddenly and hospitalised : prescribed 300mg amisulpride, 10 mg aripripazole, 50 mg sertraline.  Gradually reduced to 60.75mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify only by Dec 2016.  shortly after 30/1/17 two days paranoia, held and stabilised.  made 2.5% reductions in amisulpride to get to 50mg amisulpride plus 10mg abilify.  Held for long period of time to let CNS stabilise as unable to tolerate any more reductions (from Aug 2017)   April 2018 40mg amisulpride and 10mg abilify.

Current Meds: 17.6mg amisulpride, 10mg abilify plus 2000mg metformin for type II diabetes

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from Dennis who started this thread? Our son is 38 months out, and just like Dennis described, his inability to think seems to be getting worse. He has less time when he is able to think. I know this to be true because during his first year of withdrawal, he was able to take 2 college classes (with tremendous difficulty, and by taking an incomplete),  and now he can just barely think enough to take 1. Raven was medicated so young, and we're becoming discouraged that he'll ever be able to think again.

I just wondered if Dennis ever got his brains back.

Siskin

Raven's med history:

2001-2006 Paxil 40g

5/06 - 7/06 off meds

7/06 - 10/13 Prozac

4/12 - 11/12 Abilify

11/12 - 12/12 Risperdal

12/12 - 3/13 Geodon

7/13 - 10/13 tapered off Prozac

10/13 - present: med free

• 1 month later...

I recently started have issue with my cognition as a result from all the symptom that im dealing, its overwhelming and constantly changing all the time. I'm isolated by these symptoms and its made my depression worse everythings at a stand still, was it has been for a long time. I looked up the symptoms ive experienced and it would be best described as a anxiety headache, like a pressure in my head when im in a state of extreme depression, mixed with anxiety and the isolation. This time that pressure turned into an injury, it feels like the start stages of the withdrawal where you feel completely hinder cognitively. Now, its more relate to one area of my brain, but it reminds me a lot of the start before just not a severe. I can feel a weakest in my head, and, also, maybe other parts of my brain could be reacting to the change. When I feel extremly depressed with anxiety, basically crush by my circumstances, I dont feel that pressure anymore, but again a weakest. I see for advice, someone to relate to, thoughts, and ideas. I need help and im going to start not before I regret not doing it sooner.

Here is the link that I found: http://www.anxietycentre.com/anxiety/symptoms/headaches-anxiety.shtml

Short Term Case: 7 pill of 10 mg of Modafinil in a 3 month span, but last 3 I took back to back causing severe withdrawals, lasting 3 weeks. Than 2 pills lexapro to help withdrawal lead to more withdrawal.  I have most symptoms Pssd, emotional loss, cognitive issues, nerve damage in legs.  Also 2 benzodiazepines.  Not much to damage me long term...

• 4 weeks later...

The cognitive side effects are what irritate me the most. Irritate isn't a strong enough word perhaps. Before w/d I had a great memory and liked to think I was quite intelligent, but now I have such a hard time focusing on anything that I'm reading / listening to / physically doing. It's been 1.5 years now, and it feels like it will never get better. 

Age 14 started Prozac, continued on and off for 5 years, don't remember dose. Tapered no problems. 
Age 22 started Zoloft, took 100 mg from September 2013 - January 2015, did 25 mg taper every other month, stopped completely in July 2015

Now no medication, and feel like I'm living in hell. Waiting for it to get better. Waiting to start living again. 

The cognitive side effects are what irritate me the most. Irritate isn't a strong enough word perhaps. Before w/d I had a great memory and liked to think I was quite intelligent, but now I have such a hard time focusing on anything that I'm reading / listening to / physically doing. It's been 1.5 years now, and it feels like it will never get better. 

Hi I'm exactly the same, 1.5 years and counting ,the last few months have been the worst and that would correlate with been much more stressed because its affecting my work so I've developed bad depression ,but I'm doing everything possible to help myself because my spirit is  still there and I've learned so much .the last few weeks is extremely frightening how bad my cognitive functioning is.

I left the  gas flame on for 2 hours last week ,its getting ridiculous .

I always try switch off with comedy or a movie and just always hope and believe it will improve .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• 2 months later...

English is not my mother tongue, but even in my language i cant find better words to describe this feeling.

Is like my brain is very tiny and empty, and can't form complex thoughts.

I feel like i have the IQ of a bird, or homer Simpson in that popular image.

Anyone else has this feeling of "emptyness" of the head?

I'm sorry, didn't write a proper diary and my memory is very bad, can't remember exactly all dosages . Here is a short summary

Drugged since i was 11 yo.

Prescribed several SSRI, neuroleptics, mood stabilizers, benzos.Last prescription was lithium, lamotrigine , 20 mg paroxetine, rivotril

Tapered fast lithium and lamotrigine with little to no symptoms 3 years ago.Since then i'm tapering paroxetine and going through withdrawal syndrome. My tapering was not   stable and that's probably the cause of a lot of acute symptoms i had .

Currently at 0.8 mg of paroxetine

Trying now a micro-taper of 0.02 cuts

15/07/2017 tapered to 0.74  (having waves and windows. Cognitive impairment, akathisia, apathy, anxiety, vision problems, depression, paranoia, obsessive toughts, extreme fatigue,  and some more: all comes in waves except vision problems wich are persistent)

08/09/2017 0.72 mg 28/09/2017 0.70 mg

yes.  

many years ago given sinequan for depression bad reaction so tiny dose of meleril to balance... quit after a year or so c/t

years pass no drugs

reg doc had me try all of the  a/d bc of upset due to divorce.  couldn't handle any.  took klonopin to sleep .5 mg  2003

taper klonopin

hooked on tramadol accidentally. 2006-2008 husband had migraines and took them like candy. so i became dependent too.  c/t  2008

diagnosis of porphyria after years of symptoms,  then toxic event made me really ill.

gabapentin 300mg every 3 hours , 6x day.

propranolol   180 mg  6x / day

since 2012

clonazepam prescribed as 1 mg / day  but beginning to take more to deal with withdrawals and sleeplessness

English is not my mother tongue, but even in my language i cant find better words to describe this feeling.

Is like my brain is very tiny and empty, and can't form complex thoughts.

I feel like i have the IQ of a bird, or homer Simpson in that popular image.

Anyone else has this feeling of "emptyness" of the head?

Yes, it definitely can feel like that. Some times it's a lot worse than at other times. I hope it gets better for you soon.

2001 (Age 12) - PROZAC 10mg for situational anxiety. Taken over a few weeks.

2005 - PROZAC 10mg. Taken over 7 months. Made me depressed and feel ill. Tapered off over 2 weeks on advice from doctor. 

April 2014- SERTRALINE 25mg. Had a severe adverse reaction within 12 hours. Only took 1 dose.

October 2014- MIRTAZAPINE 15mg

February 2015- Upped Mirtazapine to 30mg because I was feeling much worse than before I started taking it.

August 2015- Dropped Mirtazapine back to 15mg because 30mg was causing even more severe side effects.

October 2015- Mirtazapine 7.5mg. Desperate to get off and feeling awful.

December 2015- Drug free. 5 days after last Mirtazapine tablet hit by severe WD symptoms.

January 2016. Hospitalised because of WD symptoms. Given 2mg of Diazepam.

January 2016 - December 2016. 2mg DIAZEPAM taken as needed. Didn't really help much and never took more than 5 tablets in a month.

Still suffering from numerous symptoms.

I had taken antidepressants most of my life until Dec 2016. My memory is awful. People that I know would talk to me about something that happened involving myself in the past and I would have no memory of it. It never really dawned on me until recently why this may be. I also get brain fog a lot and cannot retain information very well, so at work I have to concentrate that but harder which can be exhausting.

Prescribed Venlafaxine 150mg ..........

19 Feb 2019 stopped Venlafaxine 150mg cold turkey. 06 March 2019 restarted Ven 125mg. 04 April 2019 9 mini pills. 02 May 2019 8 mini pills. 01July 2019 7 mini pills. 18 Aug 2019 6 mini pills. 24 Sept 2019 5.50 mini pills. 11 October 2019 5 mini pills. 5th May 2020 Reinstated Ven 125 mg XR 9 pills.

9th Nov 2020 Update Started splitting dose to twice per day

02/02/2021 can’t stabilise without symptoms. 
03/02/21 9 mini pills @ 10am 

Updated.... July 2021 108mg, Sept 2021 107mg, 

tapering steps to be updated

current dose 14 July 2023 80mg

23.07.23 75mg half way ! 

I had this. My career (and sense of self) is founded in my ability to process and articulate information. Recovery from my reaction has been a nightmare on this front.

It has been a lot better this last year or so. It is still a nuisance in a wave although these are few and far between. What remains is the recovery from the trauma - trying not to ruminate those occasional moments where I do lose the word I'm looking for, as most people do from time to time.

March 2003 took two sartroline tablets after a traumatic incident and had a reaction so stopped.  I am not sure now whether what I had for the next 18 months was WD after the reaction or the emotional fallout from the traumatic event.  Some of it was very similar to WD in hindsight.  

February 2014 - Took five pristiq (50mg) tablets and three Ativan and had a severe reaction.
Extreme withdrawal symptoms for three weeks compounded by visit to naturopath -

One week later took 900mg St John's Wort x 3 daily for six weeks - more negative effects and suspected serotonin syndrome - before tapering over three weeks. Last tablet late May 2014.

Waves and windows cycle of recovery with longer windows and manageable waves.

May 2015 - already in a mild wave, following a usual pattern, I took clarithromicin and amoxicillin for two weeks for a sinus infection which I also seem to have had quite a reaction to.

February 2016 - Feeling much better.  I still have waves and windows but they are manageable.  I'm largely enjoying life again.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Just wanted to share what im experiencing and see if anyone can offer help/advice

Im at 17 months off and my main issue is with brain fog and poor comcentration and memory. Around 6 months ago things like caffine would set my nervous system crazy and id be sweating as if i was on acid. This seems to have subsided and i dont have many issues with anxiety like i did and this i put it down mainly to meditation daily.

I feel like other symptoms are lifting but the brain fog and poor memory is still the same. Every so often i have a wave and feel lile the world is against me but as time is going on im able to recognise this for what it is.

Anyone else going through similar things? Has anyones brain fog lifted and if it did how long did it take?

Edited by scallywag
merged topic

• 1 month later...

Does this ever get better ? I can't really write about my problem properly because of those symptoms, but I have cognitive symptoms and definitely feel like my intelligence is lower than it was before. I can't think at all, I always have a brain fog, and because of its severity I had to updose, but nothing really changed when it comes to my cognition.

I feel stupid and like I can't think and like I'll never be able to think and care about things. I was thinking in the past that I was developing Alzheimer's or any other type of dementia.

Generally, I feel like there's no cure, and I don't care about it because I don't have enough mental capacity to care. When I was only apathetic, I could still care, but now I really don't, about anything, and not feeling anything about it somehow makes me feel like I'm stupid. Like, hey, you're stupid, but who cares.

Nothing matters, nothing has its point, essence, I just float through my life pointlessly doing things without thinking about anything.

Give me some hope about cognition. I will start tapering again at the end of June, but I'm scared that my cognition would get worse.

Does this symptom get better ? I'm talking about thinking about things, giving them sense/point, knowing why you're doing and saying things, not being mindless. I hope you understand me. I'm physically not a zombie, but mentally... absolutely. This post probably isn't well-written, sorry. I'm just searching for some hope, and I hope I'll be able to form real thoughts once I start tapering and once I'm off the meds...

My withdrawal journey (click)

"If you're going through hell - keep going".

This symptom does indeed get better. I had a few bouts of this recently myself, where I just felt stupid. I even ended up crying out to my wife "I used to be a smart man!"

One of the things you can do is exercise your brain. Work on a puzzle or do a word game or even just play some cards with somebody.

Search out "neuroplasticity" on the forums here - you'll find all sorts of interesting info on how our brains, including our cognitive skills, will heal.

SJ

Main thread: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/14472-shakeyjerr-say-hello/

History: Prozac & Lithium from 1999 to 2003. Ended up back on after 4 months because taking a beta-blocker caused immediate depression (just 2 doses - turned out I didn't even need it; I had no other withdrawal symptoms - I might have ended up med and withdrawal-free otherwise :(). - Switched to Effexor (75mg 3/day) and Seroquel (50mg 3/day) in 2010. - Did a self-taper during 2016. - Developed Discontinuation Syndrome 02/17.

Supplements: Magnesium-Glycinate 400mg split into 4 100mg doses throughout the day. Vitamin C 500mg - once per day. Fish Oil 1360 mg (950 mg Active Omega-3) - twice per day.

I'm not a doctor. I use the internet, experience, and trial & error. Seek medical advice if necessary.

Thank you for your reply SJ, I'm glad that it does get better because this is awful.

If I find something interesting that helps my cognition, I will post it here, and if the person reading this knows anything, please write. I think it's not that talked on here about cognitive abilities much, but that's the thing bothering me pretty much.

hi apathetic I've dealt with this for a long time  ,I'm convinced its to do with panic and anxiety ,what ever stress is going on in the brain its bound to thick other aspects of our brain off kilter ,I suggest doing all the research you can but be careful with some of it ,it mite not have a scientific bases ,I don't believe there's a part of the brain been shut down.

that saying what did I walk into the room for is multiplied by a thousand for me  ,we can get in a panic state and then that just clouds our minds even further,I'm a huge fan of mindfulness and its amazing ,it helps  me be aware of my thoughts and I can focus better ,at my worst I would tell my partner to watch out after ide used the cooker and make sure the gas ring is off,ive left it on plenty of times :huh:,

its definitely worse when symptoms are bad so I prepare and be mindful that things will take longer too do ,but I get it done .

I don't think it helps thinking our IQ is dropping .

ide second what SJ has posted also

take care

PB

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

11 hours ago, powerback said:

hi apathetic I've dealt with this for a long time  ,I'm convinced its to do with panic and anxiety ,what ever stress is going on in the brain its bound to thick other aspects of our brain off kilter ,I suggest doing all the research you can but be careful with some of it ,it mite not have a scientific bases ,I don't believe there's a part of the brain been shut down.

that saying what did I walk into the room for is multiplied by a thousand for me  ,we can get in a panic state and then that just clouds our minds even further,I'm a huge fan of mindfulness and its amazing ,it helps  me be aware of my thoughts and I can focus better ,at my worst I would tell my partner to watch out after ide used the cooker and make sure the gas ring is off,ive left it on plenty of times :huh:,

its definitely worse when symptoms are bad so I prepare and be mindful that things will take longer too do ,but I get it done .

I don't think it helps thinking our IQ is dropping .

ide second what SJ has posted also

take care

PB

Thank you for your response PB. I'm not under any type of stress, because as my username says - I'm apathetic. I'm just mentally dead, but my nervous system is definitely under lots of stress because of all the chemicals I've been using. 
I can even tell that my cognition was better when I was anxious, I used to have periods where I really could think, but it still took a lot, lot of effort. 

I have enough energy to at least try to do some research, but it's hard for me to read, to be honest. My mind is both blank and foggy. I also don't believe that there's a part of brain that is shut down, I went to the magnetic resonance of the brain and everything is okay with my brain. It's like an invisible brain damage.

I can't even write anymore because of my inability to think, and I used to write a lot. It just doesn't have its spark, its uniqueness. I feel like I have a brain of a child who's still not mentally developed fully. Even my skills of describing my problem have decreased. You see, now I also think that I didn't describe it well, I'm sorry, but even if I tried, I'd fail (I'm trying all the time to do things right and make them as accurate as possible, I just can't, so I somehow gave up on that, which is not the thing I'm proud of). Maybe I became like: "Better sound stupid, than sound like you're trying to be smart when actually not being capable to".

• 3 weeks later...

Just to say i m going through the same. I have blank mind, and i cant think. I hope it will be better, i will try some advice you gave here. I hope my mind will be back. I miss him

march -june 2011 - Risperidone 4 mg 0 + 0 + 1; Prozak 20 mg 1 + 0 + 0

june 2011 - Risperidone 3 mg  0 + 0 + 1 ; Zoloft 50 mg 1/2 + 0 + 0

july 2011  - Risperidone 3 mg  0 + 0 + 1;  Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

September 2011  Clozapine 25 mg 0 + 0 + 1/2;  Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

November 2011  - January 2012   Clozapine 25 mg 0 + 0 + 1; Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

February 2012 -   Clozapine 25 mg 1/2 + 0 + 1; Zoloft 50 mg 1/2 + 0 + 0

March 2012 - november 2012;   Clozapine 25 mg 1/2 + 1/2 + 1.5;  Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

December 2012   Clozapine 25 mg 1/2 + 0 + 1 Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

November 2013 Clozapine 25 mg 0 + 0 + 1/2;  Velahibine 50 mg 1/2 + 0 + 0      

November 2014 - October 2015 Citalopram 20 mg  2 + 0 + 0

When i remmeber the rest i will add, i stoped with all medications in august 2016.

Suplements i m using now:  fish oil and magnesium, Vitamin c, selenium, b6, Coq10, full spectrum

and i feel kind of block in my brain, like i have brick in brain. And i have my hair go grey on front side of head, exactly where prefrontal cortex is, and ONLY there. That part of head is all grey. It can not be accidentally. 

march -june 2011 - Risperidone 4 mg 0 + 0 + 1; Prozak 20 mg 1 + 0 + 0

june 2011 - Risperidone 3 mg  0 + 0 + 1 ; Zoloft 50 mg 1/2 + 0 + 0

july 2011  - Risperidone 3 mg  0 + 0 + 1;  Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

September 2011  Clozapine 25 mg 0 + 0 + 1/2;  Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

November 2011  - January 2012   Clozapine 25 mg 0 + 0 + 1; Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

February 2012 -   Clozapine 25 mg 1/2 + 0 + 1; Zoloft 50 mg 1/2 + 0 + 0

March 2012 - november 2012;   Clozapine 25 mg 1/2 + 1/2 + 1.5;  Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

December 2012   Clozapine 25 mg 1/2 + 0 + 1 Zoloft 50 mg 1 + 0 + 0

November 2013 Clozapine 25 mg 0 + 0 + 1/2;  Velahibine 50 mg 1/2 + 0 + 0      

November 2014 - October 2015 Citalopram 20 mg  2 + 0 + 0

When i remmeber the rest i will add, i stoped with all medications in august 2016.

Suplements i m using now:  fish oil and magnesium, Vitamin c, selenium, b6, Coq10, full spectrum

• 1 month later...

I wanted to make sure that what i'm feeling its brain fog because when i told my psychiatric he didn't even know what it was😤 What im feeling is a sense of sedation, like i'm drugged and everything looks so unrealistic, when i get up i get dizzy and my mind doesn't feel clear, it feels lazy like it want to shut down, all this is non stop for the past 5 weeks since i stopped my drugs, is that what you call what im having? Brain fog? Or would you call it something else? The only difference i see between me and other people that have brain fog is that my memory its pretty normal so far, but the feeling of sedation is horrible😞Especially since i have 2 small kids to take care of, i hope im not the only mother going through this.

Took 600 mg of trileptal (2 pills) every night and 300 mg (1 pill) in the morning for almost 3 months

took 1 mg of risperdal at night and half pill in the morning for 1 month

these are the only 2 drugs i've ever taken.

Yes Mine feels similar. Had a terrible peak of a wave last night. Pressure in head, ears, things look hazy, unclear, mind feels fuzzy, VERY dizzy, etc. Sounds like brain fog to me

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

Have you been off drugs for a while? Do you feel like that 24/7 or just occasionally? Because mine never go away

Took 600 mg of trileptal (2 pills) every night and 300 mg (1 pill) in the morning for almost 3 months

took 1 mg of risperdal at night and half pill in the morning for 1 month

these are the only 2 drugs i've ever taken.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Brain Fog: Blank mind, comprehension, cognitive and memory problems

I've been off for a year and 5 months. I always have the in motion dizziness or some degree of dizziness. During windows I barely notice it. Waves it hits me so so bad that I hate living. 

The brain fog isn't twenty four seven.

My friends and family say I am better than last year but it's hard for me to tell if I am or if I just handle it better as I'm more used to it. I do have periods of time where I feel pretty darn good though! 

Current age - 29

At Ages 16- 20 Celexa 40 mg 

2014- September through February of 2016 ( 18 months) Celexa 20 mg

Tapered for Several months

Celexa free since February of 2016

• ChessieCat changed the title to Short-term memory loss / brain or cog fog as a withdrawal symptom?
  • 1 month later...

Hi I took effaxor for 4.5 minths. I am off from meds now for 9 months. 

I still have lots of concentration and cognitive problems

Will these go away. Has anyone felt improvements in these

Regards

mild depression: took effaxor XR 75mg From nov 2016 - feb 2017 for 4 months

PSSD : Since then along with continuing withdrawal.

cognition problems, headache , fatigue, concentration problems, anhedonia, PSSD ( erection 2/10, Libido1/10, orgasm 4/10) 

no significant improvements in any withdrawal symptoms or any PSSD symptoms

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cognitive function
  • 4 weeks later...

New symptom happening today which is pretty distressing. The thread of my thoughts is gone. I can type as the text gives my thoughts a thread.

If I lie in bed my mind basically thinks fragments of unconnected thoughts, or the thought equivalent of asdf. It is like reading a book one randomly chosen word at a time. I cannot day dream.

The thing it reminds me of is the untethered thoughts you have before finally dropping off to sleep. 

Anyone else have this and does it have a name? 

Current daily meds. Citalopram 2.5mg morning. Diazapam 1.5mg evening, Propanalol 40mg split 4x10mg throughout day.

Recent meds. Fluoxetine 20mg began 24th Nov 2017, CT on 4th December on medical advice due to bad Akathisia. Citalopram 10mg began on 13th Dec 2017, tapered to 2.5mg by 20th Dec 2017 on medical advice. Diazapam 2mg began on 6th Dec 2017 cut to 1.5 mg on 26th Dec. Propanalol 40mg began on 13th Dec. Zopiclone 3.75 mg began 13th December, used maybe 5 times then quit.

Previous history. Tricyclics, Fluoxetine or Citalopram for periods of 6mo to 2yrs over last 25 years. Probably 5 yrs in total. No significant ill effects.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy