renee - tapering cipralex

renee

hi there everyone im trying to get of cipralex for the 4th time down from 20mg to 10 in 1 month noticing last few days nausea and really irritatated and craving carbs help also brain zaps hate this ****!I just want off now scared to go down anymore.Also docter has put me on 150 wellburin.Goal is to just take wellbutrin and get off cipralex.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• renee

• Altostrata

• Nadia

• Barbarannamated

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Hi, renee. Welcome!

Going from 20mg to 10mg of Cipralex in a month might be too fast for you. When people taper too fast for their own personal nervous systems, they get withdrawal symptoms.

We suggest, if you are sensitive to reductions in dosage, to taper very, very slowly, perhaps 10% of your dose per month. You've tapered 50% in a month.

If I were you, I might go back up to 15mg Cipralex, stay there a few weeks until withdrawal symptoms disappear, and then taper more slowly using the Cipralex liquid. You can measure very small amounts with the liquid; this will enable you to reduce by 10% at each step.

Why are you also taking Wellbutrin? You may be suffering side effects of that as well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thank u i agree i am having a hard time, i had gone down from 20mg of cipralex to 15 for about 10 days then i went down to 10 and i can see its to fast.I am impaitent to get off but i will go slower.Today i took 15 and will do so for maybe a month.My docer has put me on 150 wellbutrin november 10 so ive been on that now 5 weeks.He wants me to get off cipralex and just stay on wellbutrin because of the 35lb weight gain from cipralex.It drives me nuts.I have lots 10 now with a lower carb diet but its hard.I HATE CIPRALEX.

• Administrator

Please let us know how you feel at 15mg, renee.

Your doctor put you on Wellbutrin so you can lose weight?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

he said that wellbutrin is not know to cause weight gain were cipralex is.He thought wellbutrin is better and no sexaul side effects either as cipralex effects me that way too.What to you think?How long should i stay on 15mg of cipralex.he said i can safely take both together

he also told me after being on wellbutrin for 1 month to drop the cipralex down to 10mg but as i have said i am experiencing withrawl symtoms i dont think he really knows how hard it is because i have tried several times and its been so bad that I just go back on 20mg of cipralex.sometimes i think i will never be able to get off and about 3 docters have said to just stay on it for life.I would but i cannot stand the side effects weight gain no sex drive and not alot of feelings ive been on it for almost 6 years

all my withdrawel systems were gone today by taking 15mg of cipralex i will stay here for a month then go down to 13mg i think has anyone eles come off cipralex?

• Administrator

That indicates your symptoms were withdrawal, and you were going off too fast.

Yes, we have several people who have come off Cipralex, aka Lexapro. See Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Do you have the liquid? You can go down 10%, to 13.5mg, with the liquid. Since your system has become sensitized, .5mg might make a difference to you.

Sorry for being dense, I don't understand why you're taking Wellbutrin. Is is supposed to be a substitute for the Cipralex, as an antidepressant?

After 6 years on Cipralex, do you know if you still need an antidepressant?

Wellbutrin causes anxiety and sleeplessness, which can make withdrawal symptoms worse.

i have noticed that i dont sleep well since being on the wellbutrin,my docter told me that the wellbutrin could counter act some of the side effcts of the wellbutrin.BUT U MAKE A GOOD POINT. MAYBE I DONT NEED TO BE ON anything.Where can i get the liquid cipralex,i am in canada i will ask my docter.I if i should just get off the wellbutrin any suggestions its all so confusing.I really would just like to be drug free.I been put on cipralex for anxitey attacks i was going through a bad divorce at the time.thank you so much for talking to me.This is so helpful

• Administrator

Another side effect of Wellbutrin is anxiety. See http://www.drugs.com/sfx/wellbutrin-side-effects.html

If I were you, I would simplify the withdrawal process by gradually going off the Wellbutrin first and then concentrating on reducing Cipralex. See how you do without any antidepressants before you decide to stay on something for the rest of your life.

Doctors add Wellbutrin to counteract the sexual side effects of antidepressants. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It can aggravate withdrawal symptoms.

If you wish to try life without antidepressants, you will have to communicate that clearly to your doctor.

Also, you probably will have to educate him about how slow you need to go for a tolerable withdrawal. Many doctors don't know about this.

Im going off the wellbutin cold turkey today.I had been on it once before and just stopped and had no problem.Iam going to continue with 15 cipralex for 3 or 4 weeks, then go down.Im going to talk to my docter and see about the liquid or try to use a pill cutter.I finally realize why i could never get off.I was doing it way to fast,but thats how the docters told me.I DOUBT they have ever tried.To be honest im tiredof even talking to docters none have helped me.Ive been told to just stay on for life.I really just think ill do it with the help of you all here and not even go in.I will just have to cut them up very carefully.Thank u so much for the advise.Are you a docter?Well how ever u r u r the first person to ever help me and thank u so much.I have gained 3o lbs on this ****.Any thoughts on that?

• Administrator

No, I'm not a doctor, renee. By law I need to say that you should make any decisions regarding your medications in consultation with a knowledgeable doctor.

Just to be on the safe side, I'd go off the Wellbutrin in 4 steps, maybe 25% a week, in case your system has become so sensitive you'll feel Wellbutrin withdrawal, too. (After a horrific bout of blood pressures spikes -- another side effect of Wellbutrin -- I went off it quickly after a year with no withdrawal effects myself.)

Your life on antidepressants is very similar to that reported by many people here. Doctors tell them, incorrectly, they will have to be on the medications for life, but there is no good reason for this.

Many doctors do not have a clue as to how to tailor a taper to the individual.

These drugs change metabolism for many people, affecting blood sugar, and increasing risk of diabetes. Some people gain weight. From what I've heard, once you get off the drugs, your weight and blood sugar will correct themselves.

well that would be wonderful if my weight would come back to normal.I have found if i stick to a low carb diet i feel better and my weight slowly goes down.But it seems since on cipralex i crave more high carb foods so it is a struggle to keep the carbs down.Still i wouldnt give up.So do u think if i slowly taper down on cipralex i wont get the terrible withdrawl and be able to get off?Also i find i have a huge amount of anger lately since trying to come down but i wonder if thats just how i really feel and the meds have been keeping me an emtional zombie.It feels good in a weird way to feel really pissed off at alot of people.But of course anger is not suppose to feel good,but thats often been my problem so ive used cipralex to take it away,but whats really wrong with feelings anyway?

• Administrator

renee, slow tapering is the only way we know to lessen the risk of withdrawal symptoms.

There is no guarantee that you will have no symptoms. You may, but they would be less than a faster taper.

If you are not in the habit of overeating, your weight will eventually go back to your normal weight.

day 2 of no wellbutin feeling better without it no withdrawel so far,back up to th 15 of cipralex feeling much more stabel ,Ive decide to not do any of this anymore with a docter,none have helped me only made things worse and I feel that I know alot more than they do about all this.Im going to buy a pill cutter today, im excited for the first time in years and hopeful taht I can be drug free.If everything goes not to bad i should be off cipralex by july but if it takes longer i have accepted this.Wondering if there are any vitims or supplements that might help rebuild and heal my brain.I have also rejoined my support group alanon which i find is very helpful in general and tryng to exercise 3 or 4 times a week

day 3 of no wellburtin feeling so much better off it felt very tired last few days so i did very little had 2 days off work so worked out perfect.Sill on 15mg of cipralex feels good to be on only one medication.Im going to get a pill cutter today its hard to cut them with a knife.Im so happy to have found this site.

• Administrator

To get really precise measurements, you may wish to get a digital scale, see http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/235-tapering-techniques/page__view__findpost__p__6765 , or use liquid Cipralex (escilatopram).

Hello everyone!I got my pill cutter and very nicely cut my 20mg pill to 15mg it looked really even.feeling so much better off the wellbutrin and coming back up to 15mg from 10mg all sympons have disappered, dont feel so irritated any more.I also could have had alittle pms as well just got my monthy friend this morn.i am trying to think more positive and i am re reading some books i have written by Ester and Jerry Hicks on the law of attration.If I can even get down to 10mg of cipralex I would feel alot better just knowing Im taking half of the drug.If it were not for the side effects I would stay on.DOES ANYONE KNOW what the harm is with long term use of being on this drug,what is it really doing to my system?What happens to people who never go off?

• Administrator

renee, nobody knows for sure about the long-term effects. We're finding out ourselves!

The only thing we do know is, tapering more slowly decreases the risk of withdrawal symptoms, and it's best for your nervous system to keep withdrawal symptoms at a minimum.

So, you're doing the right thing. What's your plan for your next decrease? We recommend a 10% drop, which means 13.5mg for you (reducing by 1.5mg).

• 3 weeks later...

Im just wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain?I have gained 35 pounds on cipralex and for the life of me cannot lose much even with diet and exercize.Ive never been over weight like this before in my life.Has any one lost after going off or lowering there antidepreesant?Would really appreciate feedback thanks!!!!!!

Hi Renee

I recall several people saying that they lost weight while tapering or after

I reacted opposite to everything so my experience isn't a good indicator

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

Im just wondering if anyone has experienced weight gain?I have gained 35 pounds on cipralex and for the life of me cannot lose much even with diet and exercize.Ive never been over weight like this before in my life.Has any one lost after going off or lowering there antidepreesant?Would really appreciate feedback thanks!!!!!!

I gradually lost the weight I put on while on ADs... Interestingly, with Zoloft I would always lose weight the first few months, and then go up a bit over my normal weight after continued use. While on Celexa and then Effexor, on the other hand, I gained quite a bit of weight, and no matter how little I ate or how much I exercised, I just could not get it off! When I went back to Zoloft I gradually lost most of the weight, but it wasn't until I went off ADs altogether that I got back to my normal weight. It takes a while, it's not immediate. But I've heard of a lot of people losing the weight they gained on ADs when they go off.

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Moderator Emeritus

i am another who has slowly gained weight - I am at 150lbs now - my set weight that I never really strayed from before Effexor was 129lb. Interestingly, i also gain weight whilst reducing!!! I don't eat a lot and i am active. I know that as we get older we do seem to gain weight as our metabolism slows, but i really don't have a big appetite, i don't snack between meals, i don't eat processed foods. But i do like a glass of wine with dinner....

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

I once read a reason for this and was warned that I might lose weight initially and then gain@~ I was up to 149ish when dx w Hashimoto's in 1996 and onlt lost weight in 2001 when I was no longer a pharma rep and eating nearly every lunch and dinner on the company

But ive gone way too far other extreme and struggle to break above 95lbs

Irthe Vyvanse lost me a few lbs but less than 5

My doc was diligent about ONE thing

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

I think it makes sense that some people gain weight and others lose it... ADs upset neurotransmitters and hormones, and it won't necessarily be in the same way for every person. Hopefully over time you go back to whatever is normal for you (of course, other factors could contribute to changes, like aging, as you say).

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• Administrator

I gained weight when I was on Paxil. When I went gluten free, soy free and dairy free and healed my gut I lost some of the weight. Then I read a book called Mastering Leptin by Byron Richards. I followed his 5 rules and got within 5 pounds of my goal weight. I lost the final 5 pounds while suffering anxiety last November. It has stayed off.

I still follow the 5 rules for mastering leptin http://www.wanderings.net/notebook/Main/FiveRulesMasteringLeptinRichards. I am at my goal weight.

I think that once you are off of the ADs then you can look at restoring the balance of your hormones and optimizing your metabolism.

Richards does push his own supplements in Mastering Leptin, but you don't need to use his supplements.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Ive decided to not worry so much about the weight gain(30lbs) and just concentrate on getting off the medication.Im also going through some other life stresses.I had broke up with my boyfriend,moved out of the house i was living in and had relocated my business,and am starting over rebuilding a clientelle.So money has been tight.But i am enjoying many things like having my own house again,my son 13 and i enjoy to have our own space.Im now down to 12.5 of the cipralex for 2 weeks now.Its not going too bad, a few brain zaps and headache but nothing unbearable.Feeling stronger emotions as well,but feels good like Im becoming human again.I plan to stay at 12.5 for 2 more weeks then down to 10mg.Where i live i cannot get liquid cipralex so its hard to cut them for 10% down so ill just have to go to 10mg the next jump.Ill stay there for a couple months i think,then go down to 7.5 but im going to just go slow.

• Administrator

Good for you, sounds like you're coping.

You might want to try the digital scale to make small, controlled decreases. Spending a little now can save you a lot of headaches in the future, not to mention body aches, depersonalization, anxiety surges, etc.

As you go lower down in dosage, it's wise to make smaller decrements, in proportion to the dosage you're taking. If you're taking 50mg, you might make a 10% decrease of 5mg, but if you're taking 10mg, a 10% decrease is 1mg.

You might be able to make tinier drops more frequently, for example, .5mg every 2 weeks, with minimal withdrawal symptoms.

• Administrator

HELLO everyone out there!I am now going down to 11.5 of cipralex.I will stay there for 30 days then im going to go down to 10.My goal is to get to 10 as this would be half if my dose.I may stay there for a few months I think.Is there any harm I wonder of staying on that dose for life?I would like to get off completly and that will be my goal,but i am nervous to get totally off this ****.Anyways im really not doing to bad.I have some brain zaps mostly in the morn, nothing to bad though.I feel my feelings more but I like that I feel more real.My thoughts seem clearer too.I feel im coming alive again.

hello down now to 11.5 of the cipralex, i plan on staying here for 4 weeks then down to 10mg.Im wondering if once i get to 10mg would it be a good idea to switch to prozac?If i did how would i do it and whaat strengh of prozac would i start on?

• Administrator

If very gradual tapering off Cipralex works for you, it's best to continue doing that.

Withdrawal symptoms should be very mild. If they get worse, it's a sign you're tapering too fast.

Do NOT count on switching to Prozac. It may may things worse.

Slow and steady decreases are the way to go.

• 1 month later...

update:

im now down to 10mg of cipralex,its been about 10 days now.Have been noticing anxiety coming back.Im not happy about this but do not want to go back up with my doseage.Im going to tough it out.Ive started exercising and im taking B12 as well.Im trying to work through my emotions and figure out whats bothering me.

• Administrator

Try going a few days without B12 -- it might be upping the anxiety.

Are you taking fish oil? That can reduce anxiety. Look in the Symptoms and What Helps section for more tips.

And don't overdo the exercise! Exercising strenuously can increase cortisol, the anxiety hormone. Walking doesn't do this.