SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Greenriver: switch from sertraline to fluoxetine

Greenriver

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge regarding switching from sertraline to fluoxetine. I'm currently on 25mg of sertraline daily. I've been taking this drug for 11 years on and off and have been trying to taper, but find it very difficult. My doctor has switched me to prozac WITHOUT a crosstaper. (Because fluoxetone has a huge half-life it is easier to taper, which is why he is switching me.)He says to take 20mg of fluoxetine every 2 days and cease taking the sertraline immediately.

Information on the web regarding crosstaper from sertraline to fluoxetine states to cease sertraline before starting fluoxetine. This is in contrast to other cross tapers betwenn SSRI's (e.g sertraline to paroxetine etc) which recommend crosstaper.

It's all confusing. To make matters worse I start a new job a week on monday. I've ceased the sertraline yesterday and am starting the prozac 20mg every 2 days. Apparently this dose of fluoxetine is roughly equivelant to 25mg sertraline.

My question is, will I be ok for my job starting in 10 days? I suffer pretty bad from nerves, so I don't want to walk into the job on the first day on the verge of apanic attack. Also, fluoxetine has a very long half-life and takes a while to build into your system, so I'm worried if this will be enough to combat the sertraline withdrawal.

Past four years: Fluoxetine, 10mg; currently tapered down to 2.8mg. 

Diazepam, 5mg, once daily (goes up to 8mg sometimes during taper). 

1999-2016: Mainly sertraline but also Venlafaxine  and Paroxetine. 

31 Oct: discontinued Fluoxetine.

1 Nov 2019: started Sertraline, 12.5mg, once every two days. 

13 Nov 2019: Reinstated Fluoxetine due to adverse effects from Sertraline. Plan to start Citalopram once stabilised on Fluoxetine 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Greenriver

• ChessieCat

• Altostrata

• powerback

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Greenriver, I'm sorry you didn't get a reply before, I've moved your post to the introductions forum because it 

is specifically about your taper. You can add to it and use it as your jounal and ask questions about your taper.

Some people have switched to fluoxetine to taper from SNRIs because they are more difficult to taper, 

Sertraline and fluoxetine are both SSRI. Doctors sometimes recommend switching but believe that fluoxetine can be

tapered in a matter of weeks but that is far too fast and it needs tapering slowly to avoid withdrawal. 

Maybe you have been tapering too fast?  Generally we believe that it is best to taper the drug you have been 

taking because it is less stressful for the nervous system, but if you do wish to switch we have a topic for

you to read, we usually recommend a cross taper, reducing one while increasing the other. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1463-the-prozac-switch-or-bridging-with-prozac/

We recommend tapering no more than 10% of the current dose, with no less than 4 weeks between cuts, and holding

longer if there are any withdrawal symptoms. 

Tips for tapering sertraline http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1441-tips-for-tapering-off-zoloft-sertraline/

It would be helpful if you could put your drug history in your signature, here is how to do that. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

If I were in your shoes I think I would stick with the sertraline, start the new job then start a slow taper, it will take time,

maybe a year or more but eventually you can be off the drug with little discomfort by 'sneaking' the drug away bit by bit. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 2 years later...

HI,

I'm looking for some advice and experience on prozac withdrawal.  I've been on SSRIs for 18 years now (sertraline 16.5 years, prozac 1.5 years); age 17-35.  I tapered roughly 3.5 years ago with Sertraline and dropped too quickly and ended up with PSSD; I had no libido for roughly a year and went from masturbating 2-3 times a week to perhaps 2-3 times a month - it was laboured.  My sexual function did eventually return though.

I went on Prozac 1.5 years ago to try and come off SSRIs once and for all.  I decided to stay on Prozac for a year (due to work problems) and started to taper in February of this year as things were a bit easier at work etc.  I dropped from 10mg a day to 7mg per day in February and then dropped down to 5mg a day in April.  By June I couldn't believe how clear my thinking had become.  My work output shot up and I was constantly coming up with new ideas and different and easier ways of doing things. I couldn't believe how alive I felt; I actually had moments where I thought "wow, so this is what it feels like to enjoy life. This is why people get up out of bed in the morning".  I'd been in an SSRI coma for so long I'd forgotten about the actual feeling of being alive.   However, my emotions were spilling out all over the place.  My anxiety was much more pronounced as well as my lows (and highs).  I'd also get unbelievably angry at things; things I would have let go in the past after maybe 10 minutes I would spend days and days seething over.  Id find myself walking down the street actually talking to myself at points due to the constant angry dialogue I was having in my head.  

Unfortunately, in June the nightmare that is PSSD came back and it was the final straw.  I went back up to 7mg in July and the mental/emotional side-effects subsided but the PSSD has not.  I'm also back in the SSRI coma.  I thought tapering off Prozac would be easier, but obviously not.  I think due to the fact I've been on it for 18 years and from such a young age that I might have to initiate a massively slow taper.  This is a real bummer because I suffer massively from the brain fog effects even on low-doses - I've had constant comments over the years that I look totally spaced out, zombified, stoned etc despite the fact I'm on a low dose and have been for roughly seven years now.  I'm worried that this will impede my career progression, so there is a kind of urgency in me to get off quickly.

Does anyone have any ideas on Prozac tapering ideas?  I'm using the liquid at the moment and plan to start tapering at 0.25mg per month. Is this too slow?  Should I perhaps go back up to 8mg or 10mg and see if my sexual function returns and then taper?  I don't want to up the dose only for the PSSD to not resolve and be stuck with even thicker brain fog.  I cannot emphasis how bad the brain fog gets - if only GPs could prescribe Adderall or something to counteract the SSRI like they do in the States (I'm from the UK).

13 Nov 2019: Reinstated Fluoxetine due to adverse effects from Sertraline. Plan to start Citalopram once stabilised on Fluoxetine 

• Administrator

Welcome back, Greenriver. I merged your new topic with your existing Intro topic, so we can see your history.

We recommend a 10% taper per month, even with Prozac. See 

Your taper off Prozac was a little too fast, and caused your nervous system to lose its balance again. If I were you, I would not increase the dosage to repair PSSD, my guess is it wouldn't work.

If you took Adderall to counter the effects of Prozac, you'd end up with another drug in your system that might need tapering.

Do you have any withdrawal symptoms other than PSSD?

See Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Greenriver: Switch from sertraline to fluoxetine

Thanks Altostrata.  Yea, my mood can get quite low at times, however, the anger and irritability have subsided.  I'm glad you said that about not increasing the dose; that's my suspicion too, that the PSSD would remain and I would be left with even worse brain fog.  When I put the dose up to 7mg my depression bizarrely got worse, even though I had a reduction in my anger/anxiety.

I think the PSSD is some sort of energetic imbalance - it's very hard to explain how weird it feels - I might try going to an Acupuncturist or try Tai Chi and see if that helps.  For some reason I'm not as bothered this time around about the PSSD, although that might change if I meet someone.  Previously, my despair with PSSD got so bad I started using heroin.

• Moderator Emeritus

Here's the link to SA's discussion:  Acupuncture - Posts #6 & #8 (not detox or stimulation)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 9 months later...

Hi,

Background: Initiated on Sertaline, 50mg, at age 17 and continued on this, more or less (was briefly on Effexor and Paroxetine) until 2.5 years ago, when I changed to Fluoxetine. I'm now 36

I successfully halved my sertaline dose down to 25mg but never really made any progress beyond that.  My Doctor switched me to fluoxetine, 10mg,  and initially it was a huge relief; I was in a really bad job at the time and the fluoxetine helped me get through quite a difficult period.  One thing I noticed right away with the Fluoxetine, was a quite pronounced zombification that I didn't get with Sertaline, and a lack of interest in previous activities (reading and current affairs)  Certainly on Sertaline, I had the classic brain fog symptoms, but this was ramped up about 50% on Fluoxetine, however, I put up with it due to the fact I knew the withdrawal symptoms would be easier to deal with i.e fluoxetine has a longer half life, and I would be off it within a couple of years, at most.

I've now been on 4.5mg for the past 3 months and I have to say the zombification is even worse that usual.  Last summer I jumped down to 5mg too quickly and the zombification vanished, but I was an anxious mess and my PSSD returned, so I had to up the dose to 7mg  Since then, I've been tapering down very slowly at 0.5mg every 2-3 months and the withdrawal symptoms (head zaps, irritability etc) have been very minimal.  However, my depression is much, much worse; I can't describe how horrible it feels at times.  I'm hoping that this is just a part of the withdrawals and my serotinin receptors need to re--establish a natural rhythm etc I'm hoping this is the case.

Anyway, the problem is that this is beginning to affect my work etc in that I'm finding it hard to articulate even basic sentences.  I've always been okay at thinking on my feet, but since this taper, I'm seriously starting to feel that my IQ has literally dropped off a cliff.  I used to love reading and now I just want to zone out and watch a movie; I can barely focus on the page due to the zombification.  Is this withdrawal or depression?  I'm starting to wonder if it might be depression interfering with my cognitive function, however, I had this almost as soon as I started the prozac, 10mg, and the depression was nowhere near as bad then.

I'm tempted to go back on the sertaline at an equivalent dose (I can get Sertaline liquid on prescription) to rid myself of this zombification.  I've also read that Fluoxetine is fluoridated (whatever that means) and that this can lower your IQ etc TBH this sounds more pseudo-scientific than scientific, but in my current state it's something I can't stop ruminating on. I don't understand why I can't achieve the  clarity of mind I had last summer when I dropped down to 5mg -  although I was in a very brief sexual relationship  last summer for the first time in years, and I think that probably charged my brain up or something.  The sexual relationship ended when my PSSD decided to make a comeback and I upped the dose back to 7mg.

Is anyone familiar with this type of symptom?  Does it go away with further drops?  I'm almost hoping for brain zaps as at least your brain feels somewhat alive when they're happening. I rather naively  thought that on the lower doses the zombification/brain fog would ease up and the depression and anxiety would increase. That seemed a reasonable pay-off.  But to have this (severe clinical depression plus total zombification/brain fog) it just doesn't seem worth it.  Why the hell can't my mind clear itself?  I still feel like I'm in a deeply hypnotic SSRI-type state (even more so)  despite only being on 4.5mg.  Should I go back on the sertaline?  I'm going to see my doctor, although I'm wary, as they don't seem very clued-up on antidepressants.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi GR,

I moved the new topic you created to your Intro topic, which is the place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place.

Please create a drug signature, which allows the mods to see your drug history at a glance.  Only dates, drugs, doses - no symptoms or diagnoses.  Thank you.  Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

I've asked the other mods for their thoughts on your situation.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
10 hours ago, Greenriver said:

I'm almost hoping for brain zaps as at least your brain feels somewhat alive when they're happening.

Brain zaps are a bad sign, usually because you are reducing too quickly.

I know, I’ve had the zaps before and hated them.  TBH, I’m feeling a bit calmer now - I’m just going to carry on with the slow taper and hopefully have this **** out my system within 2 years.  I was pretty unstable when I was on sertraline due to its short half life; I don’t think it would be good idea going back on it. 

• Administrator

Hi, Greenriver.

The fluoride aspect is not relevant.

How's your sleep? What time of day do you take Prozac? Is the fog better or worse at any particular time of day?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature

Many people do better with fish oil and magnesium supplements, see

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

A lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Altoastrata,

Sorry for the late reply. 

I take my Prozac liquid every two days just before lunch at 1pm.

I’ve started taking seven seas high strength cod liver oil again (2800mg EPA & DHC) and I feel it’s helping with my cognitive function.  I also feel more mindful on it.

Regarding my sleep, I tend to stay up late and get about 6 hours most nights, which probably doesn’t help. 

I notice you successfully tapered off Prozac.  What dose drop did you find the hardest? Does the brain fog eventually clear?  I don’t understand why my head is still foggy compared to last summer when it was so clear.

It’s hard to say when the brain fog is the strongest - probably in the morning. 

• 6 months later...

Hi Altostrata, 

I’m currently reducing at 10% (currently at 3mg of Fluoxetine) with mild-to-moderate withdrawal symptoms.

I read one of your posts re Prozac withdrawal from a few years back ( I can’t find it, sorry) where, if I remember correctly, you say you stopped taking Fluoxetine when you got down to 1mg? Is this correct?  Did you experience any withdrawal symptoms?

I’d like to do try this myself when I eventually reach 1mg. 

Edited by ChessieCat
moved post and deleted quote (why taper 10% Post #1)

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved your post from another topic.  This is your Intro topic and the place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  This keeps your history in one place.

As previously requested please create a drug signature using the following format.  This allows us to see your drug history at a glance.  Keep it simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

There is no specific dose that we can suggest jumping off at.  It is an individual thing and you will need to listen to your body and be led by your withdrawal symptoms.  My opinion is, after doing a careful taper, why risk upsetting things for the sake of a few extra months.  I think it is better to go as slow and as low as you need to and get off with as little discomfort as possible than to try to rush to 0.  Healing still continues after getting off the drug.  Please see:  are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take

Many members find that the lower their dose gets the slower they need to go, reducing less and/or holding for longer.  Please see these topics:

When to end the taper and jump to zero?

Why taper paper: dose-occupancy curves

• Administrator

What are your withdrawal symptoms? Might be a good time to rest from tapering.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/19/2018 at 8:41 PM, Greenriver said:

I take my Prozac liquid every two days just before lunch at 1pm.

Can you clarify your dosing.

The quote is from your post in June.

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

18 hours ago, Altostrata said:

What are your withdrawal symptoms? Might be a good time to rest from tapering.

I've not had any withdrawals for about two months now.  I did have quite a bad eye twitch during my last withdrawal.  I'm going to drop from 3.5mg down to 3mg and gage how I feel

I'll slow it down if I start getting bad withdrawals again.

15 hours ago, bubble said:

Can you clarify your dosing.

The quote is from your post in June.

I take 7mg once every two days.

• Administrator

You're taking 7mg Prozac every two days? We advise against skipping doses to taper, we've seen too much upset from this. Please read Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

Rather than skipping a day, it would be much better for your nervous system if you took 3.5mg at the same time each day.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Rather than skipping a day, it would be much better for your nervous system if you took 3.5mg at the same time each day.

As Alto said skipping doses is not recommended, even with a drug which has a long half life.  The brain likes consistency.  It is better to take the same dose at about the same time EVERY day.  See:   Skipping Days vs Every Day Dosing Graph  

It is best to only make one change at a time.  So it would be better to change to daily dosing of 3.5mg for 2-3 weeks before you make a reduction.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

2 hours ago, Greenriver said:

I'm going to drop from 3.5mg down to 3mg and gage how I feel

Going from 3.5mg to 3mg is a large reduction.  It's a 14.3% reduction.  SA recommends reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose, not the starting dose.

2 hours ago, Greenriver said:

I'll slow it down if I start getting bad withdrawals again. 

It's better to taper more slowly than to taper by more and start getting withdrawals and then having to hold or updose.

Withdrawal symptoms mean that your brain is not happy.  It's a sign that your nervous system is destabilised.

Your brain has been getting a certain amount of drug/chemicals, to which it has adapted.  When too much of the drug/chemicals is taken away in one go, the brain has a lot of adaptations to make.  Whatever amount is reduced the brain has to make changes.  And it is not just one or two changes that it has to make, it is a chain reaction.  If one thing is changed it affects something else so that has to change and so on down the line, which is why so many different parts of the body can be affected.  And the more drug reduced the more work the brain has to do.  The brain is always working to get back to factory settings.

I've reworded the information about reinstating and related it to updosing:

Don't suddenly go off medication reduce your drug too quickly assuming that reinstatement updosing is a safety net.

This is one of the reasons we advocate gradual tapering to minimize withdrawal symptoms.

Once the nervous system is destabilized by withdrawal, all bets are off.

Humpty Dumpty has fallen off the wall.  (Humpty Dumpty is a character in a children's nursery rhyme - he is an egg.)

Thanks, I’ll switch to daily dosing.  I didn’t realise that daily dosing was necessary with Prozac.  Tbh sometime I’ll dose every four days (if I’m drinking at the weekend) i.e. take four times my normal dose on the Monday. 

I had a feeling that might be messing with my brain chemistry.  I’m so glad this website exists.  It’s reasuring to know that so many people have succeeded in getting off these pills. 

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Greenriver said:

I had a feeling that might be messing with my brain chemistry.

Yes.

From Drug Interactions Checker

Interactions between your drugs

Moderate

FLUoxetine ethanol

Applies to: Prozac (fluoxetine), Alcohol (contained in alcoholic beverages) (ethanol)

Using FLUoxetine together with ethanol may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with FLUoxetine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of FLUoxetine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh well, the drop to 3mg was just too much.  I’m almist taken aback at how bad the withdrawals are.  Is feeling so angry that you’re borderline homicidal a normal withdrawal symptom? It’s the anger surges more than anything I find hardest to deal with. 

My computer at work is very slow and IT can’t seem to fix it.  I literally punched it so hard it’s now completely broken. I generally never do things like that but I notice that whenever I’m tapering holes start appearing on my walls due to me punching things.  My right hand is generally really sore during a taper due to me constantly punching things. 

This is has also happened a few times.  During withdrawal I get so angry I’ve walked out in front of traffic.  I’m now scared to walk on main roads due to this crazy impulse that seizes me.  This only happens during withdrawal. 

The only thing that works is Diazepam.  Exercise, yoga, meditation,  Vitamin C, Magnesium; nothing works except Diazepam. I’m not sure if that’s why I get so angry due to a feeling of complete inability to deal with it without another drug. Is Diazepam really so bad? I generally don’t have a problem coming off it after an SSRI taper.  I know benzo withdrawal can kill but I’m only really using it during the taper. 

• Moderator Emeritus

It has been requested several times that you create your drug signature.  Please do this.  Failure to do this may result in a warning point being issued.

On 12/25/2018 at 7:10 AM, ChessieCat said:

As previously requested please create a drug signature using the following format.  This allows us to see your drug history at a glance.  Keep it simple by following these instructions (NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you):

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Please take this request seriously.  The moderators' time is valuable and we do not have the time to read back through your topic to find out the drugs, dates and doses.  We need to be able to see your drug history at a glance.  Until you provide the drug signature we are not able to respond to your questions.

Please see: 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Greenriver, 

Hope you’re doing okay. Please be so kind as to put in your signature. Thank you. Sending hugs🤗

Been on APs, benzos, ADs and opiates, for chronic pain. Had Akathisia in the past that made me suicidal. Still on Seroquel. 2019:➡️ March10=7.25mg ✔️ April17=7.0✔️ June5=6.75✔️ July14=6.50✔️ Aug28=6.25✔️ Oct10=6.20  ✔️ Oct21=6.0✔️ Dec16=5.80 ✔️ 2020➡️ Jan 21=5.60 ✔️ April2=5.40 ✔️ May29=5.20 ✔️ Aug14= 5.0 ✔️Sep29=4.80✔️2021➡️ Jan31=4.60 mg✔️ April24=4.40mg✔️Jul17=4.30mg ✔️ Aug 28=4.20 ✔️ Oct 11=4.15✔️Nov1=4.10 ✔️ Nov21= 4.05✔️ Dec13= 4mg ✔️2022 ➡️ Jan8=3.95✔️ Jan31=3.90✔️ March2=3.85 ✔️ April4=3.80 ✔️ June16=3.75✔️ July26=3.70✔️ Sep2=3.65✔️ Oct21=3.60 ✔️ Dec8=3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️ March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

I’ll try again with the signature.

19 hours ago, Greenriver said:

Oh well, the drop to 3mg was just too much.  I’m almist taken aback at how bad the withdrawals are.  Is feeling so angry that you’re borderline homicidal a normal withdrawal symptom? It’s the anger surges more than anything I find hardest to deal with. 

My computer at work is very slow and IT can’t seem to fix it.  I literally punched it so hard it’s now completely broken. I generally never do things like that but I notice that whenever I’m tapering holes start appearing on my walls due to me punching things.  My right hand is generally really sore during a taper due to me constantly punching things. 

This is has also happened a few times.  During withdrawal I get so angry I’ve walked out in front of traffic.  I’m now scared to walk on main roads due to this crazy impulse that seizes me.  This only happens during withdrawal. 

The only thing that works is Diazepam.  Exercise, yoga, meditation,  Vitamin C, Magnesium; nothing works except Diazepam. I’m not sure if that’s why I get so angry due to a feeling of complete inability to deal with it without another drug. Is Diazepam really so bad? I generally don’t have a problem coming off it after an SSRI taper.  I know benzo withdrawal can kill but I’m only really using it during the taper. 

Oh I hear you ,you will need to get a plan in order for when you taper ,society really doesn't react well to anger and rage  .when im bad I dare not go outside and if I do ,I have nice quiet places to go for walks  ,it feels to easy for me to be able to cause an argument ,a simple walking past someone on the footpath yesterday caused me to have a argument in my head [I was forced off the curb],never ever act on this ,the fall out is too serious .

When this arises keep the mantra in your head its withdrwl .I love punching pillows at home ,energy released .

I totally get you and empathise .

Alcohol free since February 2015 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

3 hours ago, powerback said:

Oh I hear you ,you will need to get a plan in order for when you taper ,society really doesn't react well to anger and rage  .when im bad I dare not go outside and if I do ,I have nice quiet places to go for walks  ,it feels to easy for me to be able to cause an argument ,a simple walking past someone on the footpath yesterday caused me to have a argument in my head [I was forced off the curb],never ever act on this ,the fall out is too serious .

When this arises keep the mantra in your head its withdrwl .I love punching pillows at home ,energy released .

I totally get you and empathise .

Cheers.  On looking back “homicidal” probably wasn’t the best description as the anger is purely directed towards myself.  So I’m homicidal towards myself not others ha ha. Although during withdrawal I get those arguments going on in my head too, usually complete insignificant nonsense.  It really raises the cortisol though. 

6 minutes ago, Greenriver said:

Cheers.  On looking back “homicidal” probably wasn’t the best description as the anger is purely directed towards myself.  So I’m homicidal towards myself not others ha ha. Although during withdrawal I get those arguments going on in my head too, usually complete insignificant nonsense.  It really raises the cortisol though. 

yep saying  homicidal will raise eyebrows lol.say that to the wrong  DR and you'd have more on your plate.

Its just the wiring messed up ,we go from blissfully and wrongfully docile to hair trigger sensitive ,always change the channel ,just think of the advantage you'll have over others of  your   emotions when its over ,the tools you've learned and practiced .

our bodies are designed to deal with cortisol spikes .always find ways to chill out .

people that never touched meds have issues with temper so be nice to yourself and never act on it ,this is the holy grail.

Last year a small bit of blood rolled down my forehead [headbutt a door] ,the only problem was my missus said whats that on your forehead ,you've got to laugh .

Take care and stay safe .

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

2 minutes ago, powerback said:

yep saying  homicidal will raise eyebrows lol.say that to the wrong  DR and you'd have more on your plate.

Its just the wiring messed up ,we go from blissfully and wrongfully docile to hair trigger sensitive ,always change the channel ,just think of the advantage you'll have over others of  your   emotions when its over ,the tools you've learned and practiced .

our bodies are designed to deal with cortisol spikes .always find ways to chill out .

people that never touched meds have issues with temper so be nice to yourself and never act on it ,this is the holy grail.

Last year a small bit of blood rolled down my forehead [headbutt a door] ,the only problem was my missus said whats that on your forehead ,you've got to laugh .

Take care and stay safe .

Ha ha yea I headbutted my computer screen once. Really not a good idea. 

ISwimming definitely chills me out. Jogging is good for a nice endorphin blast but seems to raise cortisol so I generally avoid it during a taper.

i would never tell my Doc something like that anyway. I don’t even tell her when I’m feeling suicidal in case I wind up institutionalised and pumped full of god knows what for my own good. 

21 minutes ago, Greenriver said:

Ha ha yea I headbutted my computer screen once. Really not a good idea. 

ISwimming definitely chills me out. Jogging is good for a nice endorphin blast but seems to raise cortisol so I generally avoid it during a taper.

i would never tell my Doc something like that anyway. I don’t even tell her when I’m feeling suicidal in case I wind up institutionalised and pumped full of god knows what for my own good. 

yep the system is propped up by fear ,having these thoughts does not  by any means mean actuality ,we should do a thread for anger outbursts but newbies shouldn't see it ,because it can be triggering but for us it would be a laugh .

society is still way to much judgmental towards mental health ,its up to us to make the difference but it will take generations to get anywhere .

Even besides this process ,the last few years my eyes have opened up to how toxic our culture is .

im itching to point out how toxic some peoples wording is but im going no were near it .

luckily I've never had a social media account .

don't dwell to much on outburst ,just make sure you save them for apropitiate places ,[like me in a Forrest smashing a branch off the ground ,love it ,lol.hive yourself credit ,holding down a job ,this is the holey grail also.

you know the saying "its the quite ones you need to watch out for ".

we are not designed  to not express  ourselves .

Ive been to Glasgow alot ,I have family living there . 

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

Nice one, my cousin lives in Ireland. Been meaning to visit somepoint soon. 

I agree, mental health is still very stigmatised and I don’t see much change soon.  The workplace is rife with mental health innuendos (he/she isnae right in the head etc).

Personally I think a lot of mental illness stems from hugely unrealistic expectations placed upon us by society/media/films. The western world is living through a kind of collective psychosis ( I think J G Ballard touched on that). It’s self-evidently insane working 8 hours a day for 60 odd years and then dropping dead a few years later. But that’s what’s expected. That’s sane apparently. And if you don’t like it or question it then you’re insane. 

race ,gender , you name it ,it has progressed to a degree .from coming out the other side and awake now its shocking ,I will admit I was one of these people ,I need to show by example rather than just pull people up on it ,because at the end of the day its learned behaviour passed on from ignorance and the human will to fit in and be apart of the group .

Mental health awareness is gone backwards in my opinion.

I despise anyone having an opinion that hasn't been through it ,but maybe its there right to have one  ,I'm nearly 4 years sober and I cringe with embarrassment the characters I drank around .these guys would jeer and slag someone to the point of death and turn up at there funeral ,I know what was I playing at,i was lost for a long time .

Of course we need to be optimistic for the future of humanity  but you'd be ignorant to ignore the amount of toxic people out there .

Stay off the drink ,because if you go to Dublin [temple bar=popular drinking district  ,youl pay nearly 8 euro a pint ,this is a joke]

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

22 minutes ago, Greenriver said:

The workplace is rife with mental health innuendos (he/she isnae right in the head etc).

Maybe its up to us to ignore there unconscious ignorance but if I was an employer I would correct this kind of talk .

I'm already pulling people up on how they speak to my niece [Scottish] [especially my mother]  ,she's small  and I can see how it will affect her when growing up ,it did me .I had a terrible childhood been jeered ,this stuff damages people.

Understanding human behaviour can be helpful to  not take things personally but at a young age it seems to stick inside the nerves .   

1MG diazepam

4.5MG PROZAC.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for creating your drug signature.

Past two years: Fluoxetine, 20mg; currently tapered down to 3mg.

Please add the dates and doses of your taper.  If you don't know the exact date please include early, mid or late and month name.  You only need to add the year for the first mention of that year.

This is the format which is helpful:

Fluoxetine:  date, 20mg; date, dose; date, dose; date, dose;