SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Fleur: Hello - Citalopram withdrawal

Fleur

Hello, I'm writing to introduce myself as I'm new to the forum...actually all forums as I've never joined one before today. I searched on Google and found this forum as I believe I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms from Citalopram and feel quite isolated in what I'm going through. I was taking 20mg of Citalopram for 7 years, but took the decision in April this year to come off the drug as I'd been experiencing episodes of fatigue which at the time I had recently found out was a side effect of the drug. I've outlined my history in my signature as even though it's been 3 months since I completely stopped citalopram (i was tapering down 6 weeks previous to this) I'm still experiencing withdrawal symptoms. This week I've had to take time off work as I've had fatigue similar to when I was on the drug accompanied by insomnia, dry mouth, muscle aches, loss of appetite and stomach cramps. I joined today for support to maybe find out I'm not alone in experiencing withdrawal for this long period (my GP originally said withdrawal should only last 2 weeks) and to know roughly how long this could last. Thank you in advance. 

Took 20mg Citalopram for 7 years.

In April 2017 started tapering down in April after experiencing repeated episodes of fatigue and hyper real dreams when i slept.

Tapered down over 6 weeks - 15mg for two weeks, 10mg for two weeks and 5mg for 2 weeks.

Experienced mild withdrawal symptoms when i was tapering down

When I stopped taking 5mg (early May) and was off the drug I experienced severe symptoms (brain zaps, light headedness, aches, nausea, teary, high anxiety, depresssion) for 4 weeks.

Early June 2017 I started taking St John's Wort to help improve my mood, but stopped taking it in mid July as I was experiencing hyper real dreams like when I was taking Citalopram.
Since then I have experienced dry mouth, insomnia, stomach cramps and the same fatigue and aching muscles I had when taking citalopram.  

Hi Fleur. Welcome to SA.

There is no need to feel isolated as we have all been through this and understand. Thank you for your signature. Do you feel like you want to reinstate a small amount  just to get through the withdrawal symptoms?

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• ChessieCat changed the title to Fleur: Hello - Citalopram withdrawal

Thank you. I don't feel I want to reinstate the anti-depressants as I would be concerned about experiencing the same periods of fatigue I had when I was taking them previously. Also, if I went back on at a low dose I'd risk experiencing the side effects you get when first going on anti-depressants. When I was experiencing the bad withdrawal symptoms at the beginning of June my Dr persuaded me to go back on anti-depressants and prescribed Setralin. I took the drug for two days and stopped as i felt wired and was not sleeping and when I did sleep i had hyper real dreams. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation. 

Took 20mg Citalopram for 7 years.

In April 2017 started tapering down in April after experiencing repeated episodes of fatigue and hyper real dreams when i slept.

Tapered down over 6 weeks - 15mg for two weeks, 10mg for two weeks and 5mg for 2 weeks.

Experienced mild withdrawal symptoms when i was tapering down

When I stopped taking 5mg (early May) and was off the drug I experienced severe symptoms (brain zaps, light headedness, aches, nausea, teary, high anxiety, depresssion) for 4 weeks.

Early June 2017 I started taking St John's Wort to help improve my mood, but stopped taking it in mid July as I was experiencing hyper real dreams like when I was taking Citalopram.
Since then I have experienced dry mouth, insomnia, stomach cramps and the same fatigue and aching muscles I had when taking citalopram.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Fleur, often a very tu=iny dose can relieve withdrawal without having the intolerable side effects. Side effects tend to be dose related so the low doses are better tolerated. St Johns wort also affects serotonin and is in the same class as citalopram. You can get withdrawal from this too. You could try just 1mg and see how it goes. No one EVER wants to go back on but it can make a huge difference. Citalopram is available in liquid, or you could make a solution yourself with water to get the small dose. After taking it for years your brain has grown and functioned around the drug. When it is taken away it struggles to work normally and has to regain hoeostasis. Drugs need to be sneaked away so varfully and in such small amounts that the brain can adjust between drops. 

Regrowing your brain

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/6447-best-of-sa/?do=findComment&comment=91582

Ask at the pharmacy for the name and cost so you can show your doctor. Often they don't know there is a liquid or they believe it is too costly. It isn't much more expensive than tablets! If he will not prescribe the liquid here is the topic on making a solution yourself. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/2022-making-a-celexa-solution-yourself/

About reinstating

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible