SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Britton77

Hi everyone. I've been dealing with severe derealization, panic, insomnia, anxiety, depression, dizziness, vertigo, migraines, agitation, irritably etc. for 3 years now. I'm scared out of my mind. 

I am on geodon 20 mg 2x a day

zoloft (I'm weening. Just went from 25 mg to 12.5 mg) 

remeon 7.5 mg 2x a day 

scheduled Ativan (5 mg total per day) 

i am at at the end of my rope. I believe be chronic insomnia is at the heart of the way I feel. I have recently come to the realization that the derealization could be coming from pharmaceuticals. In an attempt to feel better, I have started weening off Zoloft- under doc approval  (had to start somewhere and this medication has never helped me). I have been on Zoloft for 13 years, since the birth of my son when I developed post pardum depression. 

Is it it possible that going off the Zoloft will help? Or is the derealization likely to get worse? I'm still on 12.5 mg. This is my 2nd day on 12.5 from 25 mg. 

I believe I went from 50 mg to 37.5 in mid July. Then only went from 37.5 to 25 mg a week ago. And started 12.5 yesterday. Is this too quick? Or should I stay on 12.5 for a couple weeks and see how I do? 

Sounds like medication withdrawal can certainly cause DP/DR, but is it possible that coming off of them can actually help? 

Will things ever get bettter? 

Any adcice woukd be greatly appreciated. 

20 mg geodon (x2), 7.5 mg remeron (x2) zoloft 12.5 mg, ativan 2 mg am, 2 mg afternoon, 1 mg pm, prozasin 2 mg for nightterrors 

I believe the medications are causing symptoms/reactions they are prescibed for (anxiety, panic, derealization, depreseion, chroinc insomnia, depression, confusion, dizziness) I desperately want off these meds. Have not started a true taper. Pretty scared 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Britton77: Derealization and meds?
  • Administrator

Welcome, Britton.

When did the insomnia start? Those 25% decreases in Zoloft may be contributing.

These drugs are psychoactives. Yes, they could make you feel derealization or depersonalization, and reducing them could relieve that symptom -- but you need to be careful in going off, because withdrawal symptoms can be just as bad or worse.

Please see 

Why are you taking the other drugs? What time of day do you take each? Please enter them in the Drug Interaction Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata, thank you for the reply. 

Insomia started in October 2014. Overnight, my remeron stopped working for sleep. I've been a mess since (the last 3 years have been extremely tormenting) derealization and panic attacks started in December 2014. OCD kick in at this time too. 

I can share my story if you'd like, but it's kind of long. 

I'm taking geodon as an adjunct for anxiety/depression possible bipolar depression. I take 20 mg am and pm (started in summer 2007) 

Taking Zoloft for depression. 12.5 mg in the morning. (This morning is day 4 at 12.5 mg Zoloft, but I do think I'm feeling better, though I see half life can be 100 hours) (started in summer 2004) 

I'm still on remeron even though it was for sleep and stopped working for sleep. I take 7.5 am and pm.(started in May 2010) 

taking 2 mg prozasin at night for night terrors. (Started in summer 2015) 

Ativan 2 mg am, 2 mg afternoon, 1 mg evening. I use this medication as a mast cell stabilizer. I have Mast Cell Activation Disease (MACS) and dysautotonomia. (Dose has changed some, but started in June 2010) 

diagnosis:

GAD

major depression 

possible bipolar

panic attacks 

derealization

OCD (ruminating thoughts, racing thoughts) 

i plugged my meds into the the interaction link. Here are my results 

Major

sertraline  mirtazapine

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using sertraline together with mirtazapine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Switch to professional interaction data

Major

sertraline  ziprasidone

Applies to: Zoloft (sertraline), Geodon (ziprasidone)

Using ziprasidone together with sertraline is not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with either of these medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

mirtazapine  ziprasidone

Applies to: Remeron (mirtazapine), Geodon (ziprasidone)

Using ziprasidone together with mirtazapine is not recommended. Combining these medications can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. You may be more susceptible if you have a heart condition called congenital long QT syndrome, other cardiac diseases, conduction abnormalities, or electrolyte disturbances (for example, magnesium or potassium loss due to severe or prolonged diarrhea or vomiting). Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact. You should seek immediate medical attention if you develop sudden dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, shortness of breath, or heart palpitations during treatment with either of these medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

prazosin  lorazepam

Applies to: Minipress (prazosin), Ativan (lorazepam)

Prazosin and LORazepam may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

lorazepam  sertraline

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Zoloft (sertraline)

Using LORazepam together with sertraline may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

prazosin  mirtazapine

Applies to: Minipress (prazosin), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Prazosin and mirtazapine may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

lorazepam  mirtazapine

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Remeron (mirtazapine)

Using LORazepam together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

prazosin  ziprasidone

Applies to: Minipress (prazosin), Geodon (ziprasidone)

Ziprasidone and prazosin may have additive effects in lowering your blood pressure. You may experience headache, dizziness, lightheadedness, fainting, and/or changes in pulse or heart rate. These side effects are most likely to be seen at the beginning of treatment, following a dose increase, or when treatment is restarted after an interruption. Let your doctor know if you develop these symptoms and they do not go away after a few days or they become troublesome. Avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you, and use caution when getting up from a sitting or lying position. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

lorazepam  ziprasidone

Applies to: Ativan (lorazepam), Geodon (ziprasidone)

Using LORazepam together with ziprasidone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

20 mg geodon (x2), 7.5 mg remeron (x2) zoloft 12.5 mg, ativan 2 mg am, 2 mg afternoon, 1 mg pm, prozasin 2 mg for nightterrors 

I believe the medications are causing symptoms/reactions they are prescibed for (anxiety, panic, derealization, depreseion, chroinc insomnia, depression, confusion, dizziness) I desperately want off these meds. Have not started a true taper. Pretty scared 

In a nutshell, here's my story...

I'm a 41 year old, married mother of one 13 year old son. 

I have mast cell activation as well as unspecified dysautotonomia. I'm at the end of my rope. 

My psychiatric dx is

*GAD

*major depressive 

*panic disorder 

*OCD 

*possible bipolar 

I will try to tell you my story as briefly as possible. 

I started with hives and angioedema when I was 22. Nobody knew what was wrong with me. The symptoms would wax and wane, but I was able to live through it and continue with life. 

I gave birth to my son in June 2004. I felt amazing pregnant, but days after birth I feel into a deep hole of depression and insomnia. That's when I saw my first psychiatrist. We tried many meds, but nothing seemed to help. I ended up being on Zoloft despite it doing much for me. For awhile seroquel worked for sleep at a low dose. When I started gaining a lot weight, we switched to trazadone, which only worked for awhile. 

In 2007 my depression was terrible. My doctor decided to put me on geodon along with my Zoloft. It was like a miracle pill for me at just 20 mg. My depression lifted and the next 2+ years were wonderful. 

Then in November 2009, I started getting really irritable and racy. I wasn't thinking clearly and I had stopped sleeping. Things progressively got worse until I had an "episode" on February 13th 2010. I had just put my son to bed and came down to watch tv with my husband. Suddenly my mind started racing, my heart racing, dizzy, nauseous, I felt like I wasn't really there. All I could do was pace and cry. My husband called 911. They came and said it was a panic attack. 

2 days later the same thing happened. I called my husband and we went to the ER. Again they said it was a panic attack. This time I got stuck in a state of derealization, panic, depression and anxiety for the next 6 months.

In April 2010 I was dx with autoimmune urticaria and put in Allegra and Zantac. 

For the next several months I tried many medications, but they all made me worse. In May I went on remeron and it finally got me sleeping again. Again, another miracle.
Still not feeling "right" I decided to check myself into Sierra Tucson (where you are) at the end of June 2010. There I tried several meds, but had adverse reactions. They put me on Ativan, which didn't necessarily calm me down, but seemed to help. 

I ended up leaving on the same meds I came in on. 
When I got home I could tell I was slowly coming out of my 9 months of hell. 
By September 1st, my husband was able to go back to work and I began "functioning" again. 

The next 4 years were up and down, but I was LIVING. I started noticing triggers to feeling bad. That's when I heard about MCAS. I knew I had it but had no idea how to get checked for it. 

In October 2014 my husband, son and I went on an RV trip to the redwoods. For the life of me I could not stay awake the entire trip. 
At the end of October, things changed 180 degrees. I went from not being able to stay awake, to complete insomnia. I haven't slept since. 

Through the month of November I was having frequent vertigo attacks. Then, on December 18th I had an episode exactly like the one in 2010. I have yet to come out of it. This December will be 3 years:( 

In 2015 I spent a total of 3 months in psych hospitals trying to get my panic attacks, OCD rumination, anxiety, depression, derealization and insomnia under control. I had adverse reactions to everything we tried, including all sleeping medications on and off label (ambien, belsomra, doxepin, amitryptaline etc. etc.) 

In December 2015 I was finally dx with MCAS by Dr. white in San Diego. We tried the regular go to meds for mast cell, cromolyn, singular, aspirin therapy and even xoloir, but all made me feel worse. 

I know if I could get ahold of this insomnia, things would greatly improve, but my body will not shut down at night no matter what I do. And I've tried a lot of modalities. My mind races at night and I get songs stuck in my head that just go and go. It's maddening. 

I have seen so many doctors and nobody can help me. The mast cell docs believe it is organic brain syndrome due to mcas, but don't know what further we can do. 

My main symptoms are:
*Severe derealization 
*insomnia
*panic attacks and anxiety
*depression
*headaches/migraines 
*ocd rumination 
*chronic dizziness 
*vertigo attacks 
*suicidal ideations
*obesity
(I had a full hysterectomy in almost 5 months ago in hopes of helping. It's been a mixed bag) 

My psychiatrist does not understand mcas, won't read up on it. I can't get her to understand that I am very sensitive to medications, and that more times than not, I an adverse or have a reaction. Mostly anything, whether it be a vitamin/mineral or a medication has the same effect in me. I get super racy and spun out of my mind and get vertigo. 

I'm truly at my wits end and do not know what to do anymore. I'm not sure how much longer I can live this way :(  I want to crawl out of my skin. 
I would do anything to get my life back. Having mcas and dysautotonomia I know I will never be "normal", but if I could get back to where I was between September 2010-August 2014, I would be golden.