SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Cinnamon7: Recent Serotonin Syndrome now withdrawal from 2 antidepressants

Cinnamon7

Hi everyone my name is Sabrina. I am hoping I can gain some insight into what I am experiencing right now.

Last year I was on Celexa 40mg (for around 8 years), amitrytipline 10 mg and Buspar 15mg twice a day. Now the amitriptyline they added because I have pancreatic problems. My gastro doctor sent me to a integrative medicine doctor to see if they could control my pancreatic pain since I did not want to be on opiates.

In April, the doctor took me off my Celexa and Amitriptyline and gave me a script for Nortriptyline, an increase of 10mg each week till I hit 30mg. I felt okay on this but truly I had anxiety and my heart rate was always up above normal.. I called him the end of July and told him I did not like the side effects even tho it did help my pain.

August 1st he told me to stop taking the Nortriptyine (no taper) and advised me to start taking Amitriptyline 25mg and Prozac 10mg that night. So I started the Prozac that night and two nights later got my script for amitriptyline which I started. The next day I was in a fetal position with diarrehea, vomiting, couldn't eat, restlness, agitation, ful blown all day panic attacks. I went to the ER that Sunday and they told me there wasn't much they could do bc they thought I was withdrawing from the nortriptylline and maybe Prozac was too activating so they put me on Celexa 20mg that day.

I went home feeling aweful and started the Celexa the next day. Again I laid in a fetal position and could not sit still, couldn't sleep and couldn't eat. By the time the doctor saw me it was Wednesday and I had not eaten for 4 days and I was so agitated I could barely talk to him. He didn't think it was due to my medication, instead he increased by Amitriptyline to 35mg, gave me a pamphlet on serotonin syndrome and sent me home.

Something inside of me broke down because I went to my local ER where they told me that it could be serontinin syndrome, but more likely I was manic/Bipolar and I should admit myself. Thank god for my husband because my heart sank and I wanted to just run. I know what Bipolar disorder is, in fact I have a doctorate degree in Psychology and have worked in many different settings of psychology. I was also premed for 4 years and I knew something was both physically and emotionally wrong at this point.

The next day I had my husband take me down to the city hospital where a toxicologist told me I had Serotonin toxicity and that I needed to stop all my meds and they put me on Ativan. That was last Saturday.

Now I am not having the serontonin toxicity symptoms anymore...thank god....but now I am withdrawing from so many different medications that I don't know what I happening to me. Its been a week and today I have terrible anxiety, crying spells and points where my depression is so deep I don't know how I can even leave the house. I cant leave the house much. When I do its on my bike. Ive come to love my mountain bike bc its the only time I feel normal. After talking to the doctor midway through the week he said it will take 5 weeks to get over this and he wont do anything for me until then except to keep me on Ativan.

I can't work, I lost my job because of this. Before all of this I was relatively normal. Yes I have anxiety and depression- from a brain injury at the age of 23. Since then I have always listened to the doctors when they said I would need these meds. Now here I am....a nonfunctioning member of society in desperate need of help. This cant be safe coming off 3 psych meds and its killing me psychologically.

Does anyone out there have any advice for me? I'm afraid for my own sanity at this point. Have never experienced symptoms like this and I have no idea who to even to contact or trust anymore. My PCP sent me a script for Zoloft in liquid form to start a low dose, but my fear is what if I get serotonin syndrome again and all this stuff isn't out of my system.

How do I judge what to do right by myself. I need to go back to work, we cannot live on one income and I feel worse about myself being alone all day long and putting the stress on my husband.

Can anyone out there help?

Edited by ChessieCat
added paragraphs

2007 to March 2017- celexa 40mg; buspar 15mg twice a day; amitriptyline 10mg

April 2017- Nortriptyline 30mg

August 1st- amitriptyline 25mg; Prozac 10mg

August 6th- amitriptyline 25mg; celexa 20mg

August 9th- amitriptyline 35mg; 5htp 50mg; celexa 20mg

August 14th- serotonin toxicity all meds were stopped

• ChessieCat changed the title to Cinnamon7: Recent Serotonin Syndrome now withdrawal from 2 antidepressants
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cinnamon and welcome to SA,

I am truly sorry that you have been treated so abominably by the medical profession.  However, you have come to the right place for information and support.

I will admit I, personally, am at a loss as to what to suggest.  I have notified the other mods and one of them should be better able to assist you.

They may suggest that you reinstate a very small dose of one or more of the drugs you have recently been on.  Please don't let that frighten you because reinstating a small amount may reduce your withdrawal symptoms without bringing on serotonin toxicity, since serotonin toxicity is dose/multi-drug related.  These drugs are strong and a small amount as 0.5mg or 1 mg, depending on what dose you have been on and for how long your have been off, might help.  I suggest you read Post #1 of this topic so that you can start to understand what is involved.  Also, the mods can suggest a reinstatement drug/s and dose.  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you Chessie cat for writing back. This is all so confusing to me. I wouldn't even know which pill to reinstate considering they had me on so many of them. The celexa and amitriptyline controlled my gut and pancreatic problems. But when he gave me back the celexa a week and a half ago I was only back on it for 4 days. So I doubt that's what I'm withdrawing from. I'm wondering if it's the amitriptyline that I'm withdrawing from. However, my pcp sent me a script for liquid Zoloft to start, which is not one of the drugs I was on. Zoloft doesn't even help with gut pain. This is just such a mess. I'll be honest I don't want to go back on a trycylic like amitriptyline again bc truly I think that's what started everything and made it worse. I'm going to try and call multiple doctors today. Someone has to help me. I don't think it's safe to withdraw from all these meds and then allow me.to stay in pain with no help. Wish they could sit in my shoes

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cinnamon, welcome from me too.

Can you tell us why the doctor took you off celexa and amitryptilene? 

Are you still taking buspar? 

I hope that doctor doesn't rip you off the benzo after 5 weeks, you would without doubt be dependent by then. Are you taking the ativan? Benzos can cause rebound anxiety, they help anxiety but anxiety is also a side effects so it becomes a vicious cycle.  I would try to avoid taking it more than one a week to avoid addiction. 

It would be best to reinstate a very small dose of celexa, it is best to reinstate the drug that was stopped at a very very low dose.  When they stopped celexa you went into withdrtawal, nortryptiline is a different drug so would not have covered the celexa withdrawal.  When prozac was added the dose was far too high after being off for so long. It is also a different drug and you reacted to it. Then going to celexa 20mg again was far too high when you were already suffering badly. Thankfully stopping them reduced the toxicity but you are still left with withdrawal. This will not go away in 5 weeks. Doctors think that if withdraweal isn't over in a few weeks then it is the illness that is the problem and start talking about chemical imbalance which is a lie that was perpetrated by the drug companies to sell their drugs! 

For now you could ask your PCP to change the zoloft liquid for celexa liquid and reinstate 0.5mg. It doesn't seem much but can help. 

Here is a topic on brain remodelling by one of our moderators, she explains it beautifully. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1160-brain-remodeling/

Would you participate in a survey that is to educate doctors on prescription drug withdrawal? The link is in my signature. The more of us that tell our experiences the more likely new doctors will be educated about withdrawal. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

There is also the amitryptilene withdrawal as you say but it is best to make one change at a time. Are you now talking nothing for pain? I sympathise because I can't take anything for pain and it can be excruciating. I am tapering tramadol because of the awful side effects. The small dose I am now taking does nothing for the pain but has to be tapered slowly. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

The doctor took me off the amitriptyline to start nortriptyline bc it's twice as potent for pain and my guess is you can't take the celexa and nortriptyline together. 

So the question is, I haven't been on the celexa now consistently since November bc he switched everything. Ex pet for those 4 days of being back on it, it's out of my system. Now I really believe the amitriptyline is what I'm withdrawing from. Will reinstating the celexa even help with the withdrawal since they are different meds and prpvide the body with different chemicals, similar, but different. 

I think the serotonin syndrome happened bc he took me.off the nortriptyline and gave no wash out period before reinstating the other meds. Nortriptyline has a longer half life so I essentially hadb3 meds in my systems alongnwith the buspar. They took me off the buspar as well. Told me to take nothing including my gabapentin for pancreatic pain. I don't want to be on the ativan. Only reason I take it is bc I have tremors, anxiety and quiets in my gut pretty bad. It's not helping with my anxiety at all tho. 

The question is this....which med so I reinstate? I've truly been off celexa for at least 6 months. I don't count the 4 days I was on a week and a half ago. Do u i reinstate the amitriptyline? Bc that's what I think I'm withdrawing from...confused. if I take the celexa will that help. I would only start 5mg

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Cinnamon7 said:

if I take the celexa will that help. I would only start 5mg

5mg would probably be too high a dose.  A dose as low as 0.5mg may be enough.  It is better to start with a very low dose so that if their is a bad reaction you can stop it immediately.  However, I suggest you wait for one of the more knowledgeable mods to stop by with their opinion.

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• Moderator Emeritus
22 hours ago, Cinnamon7 said:

In April, the doctor took me off my Celexa and Amitriptyline and gave me a script for Nortriptyline

I'm sorry Cinnamon but I am a bit confused, You said the doctor took you off celexa and amitiptilene in April, was that a mistake? 

2002  effexor. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Cinnamon,

It would be really helpful for the mods if you would complete your drug signature.  For each drug, on a separate line, please list drug followed by dates and doses so that we can see it clearly.  This will hopefully clarify your drug history and make it easier for the mods to make suggetions.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

Example:

Drug Name:  date dose, date dose, date dose

Drug Name:  date dose, date dose, date dose

Etc

Thank you.

I only was able to break the pills into 5mg nothing smaller. No doctors are helping me out

No mamma that wasn't a mistake. The doc took me off celexa and amitriptyline in April and put me on nortriptyline 30mg only

• Administrator

Hello, Cinnamon. 

We really can't tell where the withdrawal symptoms are coming from. Going on and off drugs, plus the overdose of serotonergics, may have made your system hypersensitive to any antidepressant (and many other things). I agree with mammaP and ChessieCat, a very low dose would be safer for reinstatement, you don't want to overdo it with a sensitized nervous system.

If you'd rather take amitriptyline, you might try 5mg, it's a milder drug than Celexa. See these topics for taking very small doses

Tips for tapering off amitriptyline
Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I talked to my pcp today. I finally got a hold of someone. My blood test came back for hyperthyroidism which of course has so many similar symptoms as the withdrawal. She was okay with me starting 5mg of celexa back, which I did last night. Of course I'm anxious and just restless but I don't think so anymore than normal. I'm taking my beta blocker to help my heart rate since it's so high. I'm hoping the small amount of celexa helos....god I hope it helps. I'll know in a few days right? Trying to get into a psychiatrist for next week. Here's hoping. Any other suggestions?

Didn't sleep well last night. Was up really early. Felt a bit panicky this morning and have this agitated feeling in my body. Not sure if I missed my window of opportunity with the celexa bc I'm thinking what I am experiencing is side effects even tho it's such a low dose. Now what? Stop? And try the amitriptyline?

I found a really great psychiatrist who was recommended by my old supervisor. I see him next Friday. He listened to my story, was just overall caring and understanding. He said it sounds like my pcp is doing a good job managing this right now by reinstating 5mg of celexa. That should hopefully slow things down a bit since my system went I to such a shock. He told me 2 errors were made. 1. The doc taking me off nortriptyline and immediately putting me on Prozac and amitriptyline. He believes I started getting serotonin toxicity then and then the following week he increase the amitriptyline and added the 5htp which really put my system in a tizzy. 2nd error was the hospital taking me off all the meds when they should have removed one and titrate down the others. He said he will be surprised if I don't feel a little better by the time I see him and he will work with me to get me back to my normal self. That's the good news

Bad news is I'm suffering with intense anxiety and panic in the mornings. I have crying spells and depressive moments were I can't seem to get out of a funk. My body just went through this huge shock and my depression relapsed. I'm scared bc I never had panic attacks before this save for 1 or 2 in extreme situations. I feel like this completely changed me and now I'm going to struggle with panic from now on only bc of the paranoia it has developed inside of me. I don't want to even be around people or go out. I was such a social, independent person before this. I chose a people field bc I wanted to help people so badly and now here I am the complete opposite of myself and really miserable with life. I do circles in my house bc I'm bored, restless, and unable to concentrate. The storm blew trees on our biking trail so I haven't biked in 2 days so I sit with this anxiety and intensity. I have a craft fair in September and I've not completed my crafts to sell. Stuff seems so bland and tasteless right now. I just want the old me back

• 4 weeks later...

After my serotonin toxicity stint on August 13th, a week later I was back on celexa 5mg. I had such severe agitation in the mornings from the withdrawal of amitriptyline that they were hoping this would help. The psychiatrist put me on klonopin at night and after 3 weeks my mornings weren't as horrible. He wanted me to taper off the celexa so I went to 2.5mg and hit a depression like no other. He said I'm still too sensitive for ssri's so he put me on mirtazapine. Worst medication I have ever taken. I felt like a zombie and couldn't complete a task if my life depended on it. After the second day I had to have a friend come sit with me bc I was so suicidal. I stopped the mirtazapine after the 2nd day, but I will still on the celexa 2.5mg as well. The next day I felt better, more clear headed so I continued the 2.5mg of celexa. The depression lifted. I still have agitation in the morning, still don't sleep great, and my stomach hurts all the time. I have good days where I can do anything and days like today where I feel like crap. It's now been almost 2 months since all this. I lost my job and don't have much left to pay my bills. I can't work a morning job feeling like this still. Although I've seen improvements, I still get whole days when I'm anxious and can't relax. I know the doc wants me to come off the celexa all together but I'm petrified. I have depression to begin woth, chronic pancreatitis, and anxiety. I can't afford to be sick anymore and don't know if I'm ever going to get better. Please someone tell me it gets better. I just want the pain in my gut to go away and to live a normal life. I was semi normal before they switched my meds, put me on 3 serotonin meds, and gave me serotonin toxicity. Since then I've never been the same. I get out more and make myself do things even though I have fear from the anxiety. I just don't understand any of this. I'm so confused why my body is always in flux and can't stay in one stable mood. 

Serotonin toxicity is no joke.  I ended up with serotonin syndrome and had to CT.

I'd be inclined to stay on the 2.5mg and let your body stabilize for several months.  Why does your Dr. want you off right away?  From what you wrote, it appears to be helping you and is probably reducing your WD symptoms.  You can think about a microtaper when your CNS is more stabilize.  Of course, I'd definitely listen to the MODs over my advice.

I hope you continue to feel better.  I had a similiar story involving different drugs, but pretty much lived your experience.  I'm in CT/fast taper WD and it has been excruciatingly painful.  I wish you all the best.

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

So the doctor says my system is super sensitive now to meds. He wants to see my body right itself without anything. And although I'm not horrible like I was, I still don't feel good. Mornings are terrible. My anxiety is really high and my stomach hurts all the time. 

I tried doing every other day the 2.5mg and a depression quickly came on. So I went back to everyday. I get depressed here and there but it's the anxiety that's killing me. I never had panic attacks or levels of anxiety like this before all this started. My body and brain are just not right. I seriously don't think it's a good idea to take me.off an antidepressant as my depression comes back, but I have no idea what's going to work for me. If I increase the celexa I have a feeling the side effects will hit me hard. But something has to be done bc I'm miserable 

Hi Cinnamon

I was reading your introduction thread.  I am the same way with my mountain bike.  I quit Zoloft and zyprexa in 2014 and my sleep has been horrible most of the time which leaves me fatigued quite often along with digestive and cognitive problems.  i hate staying around my apt and suffering, but since i don't have a lot of strength or motivation,  i will often just jump on my bike as a way of getting out of this place that has so many bad withdrawal related memories for me.  My living situation has been a big source of depression for me (i have been trying to move for years without any luck because i have a govt housing voucher that hardly any apts accept) , but at least when i am out on my bike, i can,  for a few hours anyways, enjoy myself and have a distraction from my problems.  i actually started in 2015, going out to golf courses on my bike to hunt for lost golf balls, that i then sell online.  i have been biking 20-30 miles a few times a week for these golf ball hunts the past couple of years.   keeps me busy for the day and out of the apt where i have watched my health decline over the years due to all the poor sleep from withdrawal. 

poetjester- Derek

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

• 4 weeks later...

How are you doing Cinnamon? I hope you are feeling better. I put nortriptyline in the search box (that's what I want to taper off of) and your posts came up. I'm sorry you are going through such a rough time. I hope things have improved since your last post.

Nortriptyline (Pamelor) 25mg since July 2014

• 1 month later...

The last few weeks have all but changed mt life even more towards the negative. I felt my deoression getting bad and put myself into the hospital for 3 days to look at medivation management. I ended up allergic to one med and had a seizure when i cut off from klonopin cold turkey. I was put back on my klonopin by an ER doctor and when i went to see my pcp she put me on lexapro with a very slow increase. Im on 7.5mg second day with increase in panic and anxiety which many say is normal. So i went to the psychiatrist today and he wants me to come off the lexapro and go on triliptal.when i told my husband he just broke down. Ive been through 6 medication changes in 4 months, starting with the first one that caused serotonin syndrome. I have not been the same since the serotonin syndrome as i have become a different person riddled with anxiety and panic. My husband wants me to stay on the lexapro for a few months to see if it works instead of changing medications again. Im at a loss bc im suffering. I barely leave my house anymore, my sleep is horrible and i weigh 93 pounds bc i have no appetite. I just dont k 5mm ow what to do anymore. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions bc im out of them. Thanks

Cinnamon,

I feel really sorry to hear about what you are going through.. These evil drugs create a mess and destroy the functioning of nervous system.

All of us here are coz we got damaged by them. And we are here for each and everyone to help out thru despair.

Serotonin syndrome is itself a critical situation that you have handled.

SA advice people to slow taper by 10% when they find stability. So, its important that you get a little stable. 4 medications in 6 mos is a lot of instability to your body.

I cannot say about lexapro but any ssri need more than a month and body to get accustomed to it.

Wishes.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

It's so hard right now. I'm so hard to stabilize bc I feel horrible. I have moments of being ok and others I'm just not ok. I wake up with tingles all over almost in a panic by 4am every morning. I hate the meds but I know that I need them bc years ago I had a brain injury. I don't do well without an antidepressant. My moods are dark and my anxiety is sky high. But I feel like everything is amplified starting lexapro. I feel like I'm never going to be normal again and I'm going to be depressed, panicked, and anxious forever. Please tell me it gets better

Edited by Cinnamon7
Didn't finish post

Wow Cinnamon I just read your thread and it is heartbreaking I feel for your plight. 

I was already very disappointed in the medical profession but reading what these clueless dangerous ignorant people have done leaves me feeling desparingly angry. I cant believe it.

4 hours ago, Cinnamon7 said:

I hate the meds but I know that I need them bc years ago I had a brain injury. I don't do well without an antidepressant

I'm sorry you have a brain injury. Imo I would doubt that you need a antidepressant for life for this. It could be the reason you don't do well without one is not because they are doing anything helpful but because you are an addict and they are so so difficult to get off unless one does a long slow taper that can take for many people many years.

By the way congratulations on having a doctorate in psychology that is an outstanding achievement. 

Are you able to update your drug sig.

I can tell you it gets better. 

Can you get the book  called 'anatomy of an epidemic' by R whitaker. It would be worth your while. Also 'your drug may be your problem' by P Breggin.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017