Weasel: Reinstatement possible? And an update

NJJ

MOD NOTE:  This is Weasel's Intro Topic (not NJJ's - due to splitting from another topic)

Martina

Maybe it's worth just going to the dentist just for an assessment. That way you can judge if you need a filling and what options you have besides drugs. Ive worked out that you don't want to leave it to long because the more complicated it gets the more drugs, antibiotics and painkillers you have to take.

Take care

Edited by ChessieCat
Added mod note

[*]At 15 years was put on 50mg of Zoloft for generalized anxiety and panic disorder.

[*]2006 Tried to withdrawal from 50mg . Doctor told me I would have no trouble. I tampered over about a month (50mg-0) which left me with severe and debilitating withdrawal symptoms. Doctors put my dose up to 75mg mistaking my withdrawal symptoms as a relapse. Stayed on Zoloft 75mg since 2006.

March 2015- adverse reaction between Zoloft (75mg) an antibiotic and anti nausea drug resulting in debilitating symptoms/recovery identical to withdrawal. Have not altered or changed dose since 2006.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Weasel

• savinggrace

• scallywag

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

May 14, 2016
Dr Healy I slow tapered Zoloft almost 3 months ago I was taking only 12.5 mg every other day but for several years. On April 3 of this year I took a morphine sulfate tablet for my fibromyalgia and had a severe reaction. I was not having any withdrawal symptoms from Zoloft . A couple of weeks later the symptoms came with a fury. Could the morphine triggered my withdrawal or was it just a coincidence? I am now trying to reinstate Zoloft at 0.2 ml liquid every day. How long will it take for me to reinstate at such a low dose and will my withdrawal symptoms subside soon since my withdrawal amount was only 12.5 mg of Zoloft? I realize the doctor should have tapered me much slower and at reduced amounts Are my chances good for recovery? I also take Gabapentin 600 mg and Lamictal 25 mg every day. Could they be interfering? Thanks sorry so many questions

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Weasel, just wanted to let you know that your post is visible.  I'm not familiar with the medications you're taking.

You asked: "Are my chances good for recovery?"  The answer to that is yes.  The questions that can't be answered are "what will my withdrawal symptoms be?" and "how long will withdrawal last?"

A moderator will be along to provide you with other suggested links to read and maybe a few follow-up questions. You will get answers to your questions though perhaps not from  the first moderator to respond to your post. S/he may not be the best person to answer. 

Have you read the thread on reinstatement?  Link: About reinstatement and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

On Zoloft? Link: Tips for Tapering off Zoloft (Sertraline)

It helps the moderators if you put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature. Here's the thread with information on how to do that:  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

I saw your post about Epsom salt baths. I take them and I am very sensitive to serotonin. I have found them to be quite soothing overall. I don't know about any research on this but I am easily stimulated and baths are my go-to when all else fails. I think you could try one if you want and start out with a low amount of salts and increase as tolerated.

Good luck,

Grace

• amitriptyline from 1980-2002,
  • intermittent  use of benzos over 2 decades prior to 2002
  • 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  • currently 2024 still on 96 mg. trileptal and 4 mg. remeron
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Help! No one has replied

Hi, Weasel. I just merged your two threads. Please note that there's only one "Intro and Update" thread per member, so this is the thread to post your updates and questions. I also removed what looked to be your real name from the title of this thread and replaced it with your username to protect your real-life identity for safety reasons. 

Scallywag has already started you off with some good links, so I'll just add a few more. 

First, please place all of your medications in this medication interaction checker and copy and paste the results. If you need any assistance, let us know.

Drug Interactions Checker -- use it to reduce your drug burden

Please read over this thread, as it will help you place all of your drugs into context for your taper. If Zoloft is a "stimulating" drug for you, then you're doing the right thing by coming off it first, especially if Gabapentin and Lamictal are helping you with fibromyalgia pain and with sleep. 

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

And here are a couple of links on the patterns of withdrawal:

What is withdrawal syndrome? 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I am now trying to reinstate Zoloft at 0.2 ml liquid every day. How long will it take for me to reinstate at such a low dose and will my withdrawal symptoms subside soon since my withdrawal amount was only 12.5 mg of Zoloft? 

Please read over these links:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms 

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is the date that you came off Zoloft and what is your current reinstatement dose up to now? What is the date that you came off the morphine?

It's hard to say how long the symptoms will last, but it will help to know more about the timing of both of these drugs and your current Zoloft dosage.

Please read over the links Scallywag and I posted and feel free to ask questions. You'll find a lot of information and support here. 

I only took 1 morphine pill and had a bad reaction. I stopped Zoloft some time in February.

I am reinstating at about 5 mg Zoloft . I know it may longer to stabilize due to low dosage being taken. My fear is not be able to reinstate. It has been a solid week of taking that dose seems tolerable. I tried 12 first and then tried 2 was too little . I have a lot of Windows about 3 days in a week. The rest are bad.

I had late onset withdrawal I guess. The morphine incident was April 3.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good you came off the morphine after only 1 tablet, Weasel. Hopefully, your system will stabilize soon. 

Many people find that they are extremely sensitive to medications after tapering off drugs like Zoloft, so you may be extra sensitive to even a 5 mg reinstatement. 

I am reinstating at about 5 mg Zoloft . I know it may longer to stabilize due to low dosage being taken. My fear is not be able to reinstate. It has been a solid week of taking that dose seems tolerable. I tried 12 first and then tried 2 was too little . I have a lot of Windows about 3 days in a week. The rest are bad.

If you are getting 3 days of windows per week, that's a good sign that you're stabilizing. Many people go through tapers without a single window. Please don't think you need to be completely symptom free to be considered stable. 

Please make note of the below:

How long should you give reinstatement?

• It takes at least 4 days for your body to fully register the addition of a neuroactive drug. Unless you have an immediate bad reaction, observe your symptom pattern for about a week to see if the reinstatement is helping. If you have an immediate bad reaction, reduce or stop taking the drug.
  • After reinstatement, the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.
  • Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.
  • Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.
  • The dose needed for effective reinstatement varies according to the individual.

I would not updose any more if you are experiencing windows. This is a great sign that the reinstatement is working. 

Are these your current medications?

Zoloft 5 mg

Gabapentin 600 mg 

Lamictal 25 mg

Please place this list in your signature.  Here is how:

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Update 4 days of Windows after reinstating still feel shaky and tired though I hope to be 100% one day!

I am losing a lot of weight I can only eat foods I can tolerate with wd gut and sensitivities. How can I keep my weight up? Any thoughts please

Had some stress on my 5th day my brother was very ill and I am worried about losing weight too much I can only eat a few things without a reaction I am reinstating but still have withdrawal symptoms like tinnitus and overall weakness. Hope I stabilize better soon!

HI Weasel,

I have every GI problem in the book, so I understand weight loss, and reactions to foods.  At this point, I wouldn't worry as much about proper nutrition and just get calories inside of you with whatever food you feel "safe" and can stomach.  I find simple carbohydrates easiest to digest.  Can you tolerate nut butters?  They are a good source of protein/fat to slow down blood sugar rise with simple carbs.  As soon as you stabilize, you can worry about balancing your diet out again, but if weight loss is an issue, then go for calories right now.  

My best,

Grace

• 2002-2010 Klonopin 1-2 mg., ambien 10--20, mg, remeron 4 mg. and  trileptal 300 mg
  • 2011 Stopped ambien and crossed over to valium 17.5 mg. (updosing 2.5 mg. to cover ambien C/T )
  • tapered valium w/ long holds to 12.74 mg. from a high of approximately 20-30 mg/day
  • 2015-present tapered trileptal aggressively for a year; now intermittently; interacts w/ other drugs
  •  Currently on benzo hold as I have to cross-over from brand-name valium to generic diazepam.  
  • Current dose of diazepam is 8.8 and valium is 5.7.  I had to up-dose the total valium/diazepam from 12.74 to 14.5 where I have stayed since June 2023.  I am crossing over to generic at a somewhat tolerable rate of .3mg/month after about 2 months of trial/error w/ updosing.  I am not currently tapering; will continue to cross over. 

• Administrator

When did the tinnitus start?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

The tinnitus started when I had my first wd incident in April . Since I have reinstated to sertraline it seems a little worse. Will it go away? I am reinstating on 5 mg. Updose or decrease ? Doing pretty well otherwise more Windows than waves

Hi Weasel,

I have dizziness in waves, for no apparent reason, lasting for one day to several weeks. It always goes away on its own, so I think it is most likely a w/d response.

Grace

No, not yet, but so many people get it. I suspect I have been such a slow taperer I don't get some of these symptoms. I imagine if I picked up the pace, I would get them all, along with being bed-ridden, which is something I am trying to avoid.

I have many other health conditions to manage, along side the drug w/d symptoms, so I can't do anywhere near 10%. I try to accept that this is my reality and keep moving forward, even if it is baby steps. Baby steps get somewhere eventually!

Grace

Alto:The tinnitus started when I had my first wd incident in April . Since I have reinstated to sertraline it seems a little worse. Will it go away? I am reinstating on 5 mg. Updose or decrease ? Doing pretty well otherwise more Windows than waves

Alto:The tinnitus started when I had my first wd incident in April . Since I have reinstated to sertraline it seems a little worse. Will it go away? I am reinstating on 5 mg. Updose or decrease ? Doing pretty well otherwise more Windows than waves

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Weasel. I've had tinnitus for years due to these drugs, but I don't have it as badly now that I'm off all drugs. It's constant, but not as shrill. 

I'm confused as to your current dose. You just mentioned 5 mg, but you have 6 mg in your signature. Have you made any changes recently? I'm glad you're seeing more windows than waves. That's a good sign that your reinstatement is working. 

Thanks Shep no change its about 6 not 5 mg so I will always have the tinnitus even when I stabilize? Omg I hope not

• Moderator Emeritus

In an earlier post, you stated that the tinnitus started when you had your first withdrawal back in April.  Tinnitus can be both a side effect and a withdrawal effect, but if you didn't have tinnitus before taking these medications, then it will diminish while you're decreasing the medication or in time after you're completely off.

How bad is it? Does it keep you awake at night? 

Should I decrease the dose and it will go away? I never had tinnitus on sertraline before

It does not go away it is better sometimes and I can sleep . I am in reinstatement now trying to stabilize. I have been on the 6 mg for about 3 weeks but I still have withdrawal symptoms I am definitely more stable is my reinstatement not working ? Or does it take longer since I was also in wd? I am afraid to wake up in the morning to face what it will be and also afraid to leave the house I feel like a prisoner

" but I still have withdrawal symptoms I am definitely more stable"...

I think your reinstatement Is working; keep telling yourself "this is w/d; it will go away."

Positive self-talk; easier said than done; I need to practice what I preach!!

Grace

• Administrator

Weasel, if 5mg is working, no need to increase.

What time of day is the tinnitus worse? Please keep notes on paper about your daily symptom pattern, when you take your drugs, and dosages.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Evenings is the worst I had a couple of minutes today without it it was joyful thanks so much Alto

• Administrator

What is your symptom pattern throughout the day?

High in the morning cortisol up bad tinnitus then levels however if high anxiety gets louder when I take lamictal at night calms down can sleep well my thoughts are wd? Or should I have it checked out? Or is sertraline causing it?