Weasel: Reinstatement possible? And an update

NJJ

• Administrator

Has the manufacturer stopped making it? If not, move your prescription to another pharmacy that carries it..

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Weasel

• savinggrace

• scallywag

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question! I have been taking a certain manufacturer brand of Gabapentin 600 mg 300 twice a day for years. It recently became discontinued. I was off it for 1 day. I started the new version and am having side effects where I had none before. I had previously went thru a withdrawal for 2 yrs which left me medication sensitive with Zoloft. It feels like withdrawal again. Can this be possible? Thanks

Zoloft 6mg gabapentin 600 mg lamictal 25 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Do you have any of the old brand let?  When changing brands or form of drug it is usually better to do a crossover, taking 3/4 old + 1/4 new for a few days, then 1/2 and 1/2 then 1/4 and 3/4.  Obviously you can only do this if you know it is going to happen or you have the old brand or can get the old brand.

Other members have mentioned issues when changing to a different brand.  generic-vs-brand-change-in-drug-manufacturer

In NZ, the government has changed the drug brand (now Enlafax) which they subsidise and people are reporting noticing the difference.  Some have said they feel like they aren't getting as much of the drug.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you! I do not have any old version left. Could I have activated withdrawal in one day? If so should I reduce my dose to 450 mg instead of 600? Also will I possibly be back to normal since I reinstated in one day? Or is my brain getting used to the new med? 

• Moderator Emeritus

I missed the part that you said you were off for 1 day.  Even when taking the same drug if you miss a day you can cause withdrawal symptoms to increase.  Generally they settle down fairly quickly.

I suggest that you keep daily symptom notes on paper.

Keep taking the same dose you were taking.  Do not change the dose.  Because of the missed day it is hard to know if it is the missed day or the new drug causing the problems.  It might be a bit of both.  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I was taking 300 mg in the morning and 300mg at night I did change it to 150mg 4 times a day as I was afraid with the new generic same manufacturer  also the day before I started the new one I had 2  old halves of the old generic that I took I don’t know if they were tainted or not effective so I would have been without any Gabapentin for 1 day  I don’t know what to do now I am getting sicker today I only took 450 mg please help! 

• Moderator Emeritus

You need to take the same dose you have been taking.  So 600mg per day, 300mg am and pm is the same as 150mg 4 times a day.

You should only make one change at a time.  However, now that you have already started taking your drug 4 times a day I would stick with that.

The old halves were probably okay.  Remember you missed a day, changed brand, changed dosing times and now you have only taken 3/4 of the dose you normally take.

The only thing you have control of is taking the same dose, so a total of 600mg each day, 150mg taken 4 times each day at about the same time every day.

Hopefully things will start to settle down soon.  Try to stay as calm and patient as possible and use non drug techniques to get through the discomfort.  Keep notes, rate your symptoms.

I didn’t get sick until I took the 2 old halves I am afraid they had no medicine left in them also could it be the inactive ingredients making me sicker? My brain has been very sensitive to meds ever since the withdrawal syndrome I had 2 yrs ago I was doing great until I had to change the generic I was on am I having a brain injury again or will my brain adapt to the new one ? I need to know this will not last another 2 yrs I am petrified  thank you for responding! 

• Moderator Emeritus
7 hours ago, Weasel said:

I was off it for 1 day.

^ this is most likely the cause to which you are probably adding stress and anxiety by worrying about it.

I took the 2 halves that day was never off any days unless those pills had no drugs left in them sorry if I confused you the next day I took the new ones 

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay so you did didn't have a day where you took no drug at all.  That's good.

However, you have changed the drug brand and the dose times.

Some members find their symptoms increase when they change brand of drug.  That is why we suggest doing a cross over.

When changing dose times we usually suggest that you take part of the dose 1 hour later each day to make it easier on your nervous system.

You have changed two things at the same time or very close together.  One change can make things worse especially if you are very sensitive.

Edited by ChessieCat
correction