Taybey: Need advice on sam-e

Taybey

Started taking sam-e on my own to improve my mood i feel good on it but its expensive so i want to try to get off it and see if my mood changes but need some info first

Edited by mammaP

I started taking this about 5 months ago 400 mgs in the am 2 200 mgs caplets I am wondering if i need to wean off of this, I want to see if my mood will be better or worse without it, because its expensive, if it were cheaper i would probably stay on it cuz i do feel pretty good, but i also quit drinking 2 and a half weeks ago.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Taybey, welcome to SA. How long have you been taking Sam- E?  We have had members who have suffered withdrawal.  We don't have a tapering topic for this but I would try and taper the same way as we recommend for other drugs. That is by cutting 10% every 4 weeks. If you are ok after the first cut you could make cuts more often. Listen to your body and if you feel any withdrawal don't make any more cuts until you are stable. We have a topic on Sam-e but it is information and experiences and not specifically about tapering. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/572-sam-e-s-adenosyl-l-methionine/

Are you taking anything else? It will help if you can fill in your signature for us, just the drugs/supplements and doses, when started and stopped. This link will take you to the signature in settings. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/settings/signature/

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• Moderator Emeritus

I just found your other post in tapering where there is more information, I have merged the 2 topics. 

As you have given up drinking 2.5 weeks ago I would wait a bit longer before tapering sam-e to let your body adjust after quitting alcohol.

Well done for taking control and looking after yourself. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible