SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Road2drugfree: Should I reinstate?

Road2drugfree

And what if this doesn;t work? I'm pretty much screwed then. I can barely take a few more  weeks of these symtpoms let alone a year or two of them. I've been through so much in the last 7 years and another year or two of these withdrawals would literally kill me

Prozac is the only drug i have taken.

I started taking it when i was around 15. I'm 21 years old now.

I was on one 20mg pill a day for about half the time i was on prozac. The other half of the time i was on two 20mg pills.

In the last two years or so i've been switching between one and two pills a day, which i probably shouldn't have been doing.

I have missed doses more than the average person on prozac i'd say. Sometimes i even forgot to take it for nearly a week. When i missed doses like that i would start to feel irritable and down in myself.

Before i decided to taper off of prozac aroundthe end of June i was mostly taking one 20mg pill a day but i would sometimes take two. 

I self tapered around the end of June until around the beginning of August. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I have taken an excerpt out the the topic written by the site's owner, Alto Strata, where she discusses reinstatement and have reattached the link on what to expect in reinstatement below.

What is known about reinstatement
from my reading and from patient experience as posted on online support sites:

• According to medical knowledge, reinstatement is the only way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.
  • Reinstatement is best done immediately upon appearance of withdrawal symptoms. The more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.
  • The length of this window of opportunity varies according to the individual. Sometimes people can reinstate successfully months after quitting. Others cannot.
  • Often a partial dose will relieve withdrawal symptoms. If, for example, you were taking 20mg Paxil and quit rapidly only a few days ago, 5mg or 10mg may be enough. Others find they need a higher dose.
  • Start low to see what you need. You can always increase if necessary. If you've been off the drug for a month or more, many people can find relief from antidepressant withdrawal symptoms by reinstating as little as 1mg-5mg.

Please read the link on reinstatement so that you are aware of its risks and benefits and whether this is something that you would like to consider to help alleviate your withdrawal symptoms.  

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms
What to Expect in Reinstatement (James Heaney article)

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

If reinstating doesn't work will the withdrawals eventually subside or will they last for a long time? 

I was on one 20mg pill a day for about half the time i was on prozac. The other half of the time i was on two 20mg pills.

In the last two years or so i've been switching between one and two pills a day, which i probably shouldn't have been doing.

I have missed doses more than the average person on prozac i'd say. Sometimes i even forgot to take it for nearly a week. When i missed doses like that i would start to feel irritable and down in myself.

Before i decided to taper off of prozac aroundthe end of June i was mostly taking one 20mg pill a day but i would sometimes take two. 

Also would alcohol be a bad idea at this time? I don;t mean alot but just a few beers or something. I feel like i need something like that right now.

• Moderator Emeritus

It is impossible to know, no one, not even your family doctor or a pharmacist can make that determination.  We are all different and our central nervous systems heal at different rates. You could heal in another month or it could take many years, no one can say.  You are young so that definitely works in your favour but you were on the drug for about seven years and your central nervous system has adapted to functioning with it in your system.  As well, you've likely caused further upset to your central nervous system by alternating doses and/or doubling up on doses over the last two years and that certainly hasn't helped matters.  Doing that has complicated things; otherwise, because of your age, I probably would have recommended to just try and ride out the symptoms as they do eventually fade over time.    

It sounds like you are still unsure, so I would take a look at the pros and cons and decide whether you are able to live your life on a day-to-day basis and function normally.  If that is the case, maybe reinstatement isn't for you.  But if the symptoms are so distressing that you are not able to function normally, as I mentioned, reinstatement is the only known remedy to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  

You are the only one that can determine this and the decision about whether to ride out the symptoms or reinstate is entirely up to you.  

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)

• Moderator Emeritus
4 minutes ago, Road2drugfree said:

Also would alcohol be a bad idea at this time? I don;t mean alot but just a few beers or something. I feel like i need something like that right now.

A very bad idea, alcohol is not the answer and will likely make things worse.  

I'm attaching a few links for you to read to give you an idea of what is going on in your brain and how the central nervous system responds to psychiatric drugs and how it eventually heals.  I am also attaching a link to non-drug techniques and the Symptoms & Self Care Forum to help you find alternatives to help you cope with the withdrawal symptoms.  

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
What is Happening in Your Brain

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain aka Brain Remodelling

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Symptoms & Self Care

Tapering Schedule

That windows and waves pattern has been happening to me. Well it happend once or twice where i felt a big improvement than went back down. 

i feel like im actually having another "window" pattern right now because i feel noticeably improved at the moment. And my bloating which has been a big problem for me since quitting has gone down a bit too.

• Moderator Emeritus

If your symptoms are manageable and you have seen some steady improvement, then perhaps reinstatement isn't your best choice.  For some, the withdrawal symptoms are so extreme, they have no other choice but to reinstate.  Maybe you need to give it a little time before you are ready to decide.   Like I said, you are young and that is to your advantage.  

Here are a couple of links to the symptoms checklist that can help you to keep track of your progress to make sure you are heading in the right direction.   Keep track of your symptoms and if you notice there are any extreme changes in the pattern of your symptoms, check back with us.  

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist
Dr Joseph Glenmullen's Withdrawal Symptoms

Tapering Schedule

Yeah i have a few days until the gelatin capsules arrive anyways. I feel like that windows and waves pattern is happening to me in a way so that could be a good sign? For the most part the symptoms are pretty bad like i have really bad angry outbursts sometimes.

• Moderator Emeritus

completely normal ...

Irritability, Anger, Rage

Tapering Schedule

So should i just keep pushing through this instead of reinstating?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Road2drugfree, only you can make that decision.  I don't know you personally or aware of your medical history, so it's not my call.  All I can do is provide you with the information that you need to make the most informative decision that you can for yourself.  If you are concerned about either options available, perhaps you need to speak with your family doctor to see if he/she is able to help.  Unfortunately it has been my experience and many others on this site, that doctor's are not experienced in tapering people off of these drugs properly and often prescribe additional drugs which just mask withdrawal.  

At the end of the day, you really only have two options:

Option 1

Ride out the symptoms, hope they get better.  Some people are able to do this, but usually people who have only taken the drug for a short period of time and they are young and resilient.  Because you were taking the drugs for seven years, and your brain has adapted to functioning with the drug in your system, and you MAY be hit with delayed withdrawal and this is a very real concern. 

Option 2

Reinstate a small amount of the drug, stabilize on that amount (somewhere between 1-5mg) and then slowly restart your taper to safely get off of the drug.   

It is imperative that you understand what could happen at both ends of the spectrum.  You could wait out the symptoms and they may resolve on their own.  Or you can try and wait out the symptoms and then get hit with delayed withdrawal and be in a much more precarious situation than you already are.  

Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms

Being the worst case scenario and because you are already experiencing withdrawal symptoms, this is indicative that your central nervous system is already sensitized and in all likelihood, your symptoms will get progressively worse.  The only known way to alleviate withdrawal syndrome is to restart a very small amount of the original drug, stabilize and then restart your taper down the road.  Reinstatement is best done as soon as withdrawal symptoms appear.  The longer you wait, the less chance you will have of it being successful.  

I realize that it is a difficult decision to make, no one wants to take these drugs if they don't have to, but you do need to be aware of what choices you have available to you and then take the necessary steps to get as much information as you can, decide which option you feel will be best for you, make the decision and don't look back.

There is a wealth of information on this site, from managing symptoms, what to expect, reinstatement, how to prepare doses, etc.; there is more information here than you will find anywhere on the internet.  Alto Strata has put together the most comprehensive and informative information that is known about antidepressant withdrawal at this time and how to safely taper off of antidepressants and you are in very good hands.  

Everyone is here to help no matter what decision you make, but the decision has to be yours.    

Best,

BaroqueP

Edited by baroquep

Tapering Schedule

• ChessieCat changed the title to Road2drugfree: Should I reinstate?

I feel improvement today which is strange because i had a late night last night and expected to wake up feeling groggy and stuff but i feel a bit improved. Could this be another window? And if that is the case would that mean it's more likely that i am healing and less chance of delayed withdrawal?

I feel like crap today again. I think reinstating is the best idea for me.

I got the gelatin capsules today. I still don't know what i should do. for the most part my symptoms don't seem to be AS bad as they were when i first started getting withdrawals. In saying that, i do still have times where they are as bad and i'm in no way feeling good now or like i'm better. I still feel like crap but mostly it's not as pronounced. What do you think i should do? I'm 50/50 on it right now and feel your decision would help me decide.

• 2 months later...

Hey, just wanted to come back here and let you know that i'm feeling better from the withdrawals. They seem to be gone now. I do have occasional  "depressive feelings" like before i started the medication but it's not that bad. I'm glad to be over that hurdle and thank you guys for the advice and help. You are doing a good thing here helping people with these issues.