Klipsanen: how to taper risperdal in my case?

Klipsanen

Hello, im from eu, sorry about my english.

i'm going to taper my medication which is risperdal 1mg. I have had it about 1,2month. I have been taking 0,5mg for few days now so..

My earlier meds were abilify, zyprexa, truxal and levozin. I had my boozepsychosis about 7 months ago.

how slowly do i need to manage with risperdal? 

Zyprexa was first: started 23 of february 10 mg Only for few weeks 1-2w.

truxal and levozin were for my sleeping problem for only few weeks also.

Abilify:  2mg started march/2017 at first for few weeks and then injection 300-400mg april/2017 to july/2017

Risperdal: 1.0 mg, started 18th of july to this day.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Klipsanen: How to taper risperdal in my case?
  • Moderator Emeritus

Klipsanen -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

To answer your question, we suggest that you reduce the dose by no more than 10% per month.  You may cause problems -- either withdrawal symptoms or the recurrence of psychosis symptoms -- if you reduce too quickly.  Since you were taking 1 mg, we would suggest you should be taking 0,9 mg. A 50% reduction to 0,5 mg may be too much.  Please read these topics:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

You may need to go even more slowly because you were taking other similar medications before you started taking risperdal.  Would you tell us when you started and stopped each of the drugs you  mentioned and what dose you took?

Abilify: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Zyprexa: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Truval: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Levozin: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Risperdal: 1.0 mg, started month/year.

When you've got that information, please put it in a signature (copy and paste) that will appear below every one of your posts.  Here's a link to where you do that:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here's a link with information about what to include: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Now the question may

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hello and thankyou for your answer.

I have had;

Zyprexa was first: , 10 mg Only for few weeks 1-2w.

truxal and levozin were for my sleeping problem for few weeks also.

Abilify:  2mg started march/2017 at first for few weeks and then injection 300-400mg april/2017 to july/2017

my doctor said that i should eat risperdal 2mg after having abilify, but i have been taking it 1mg and having no problems. 

Just MAYBE i have had some tiny illusions(?)

As an alcoholic, can i ever drink again?

i didn'nt have any seizures or strokes during my delirium tremens. 

On 11.9.2017 at 3:00 AM, scallywag said:

Klipsanen -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

To answer your question, we suggest that you reduce the dose by no more than 10% per month.  You may cause problems -- either withdrawal symptoms or the recurrence of psychosis symptoms -- if you reduce too quickly.  Since you were taking 1 mg, we would suggest you should be taking 0,9 mg. A 50% reduction to 0,5 mg may be too much.  Please read these topics:

Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.

Tips for tapering off Risperdal (risperidone)

You may need to go even more slowly because you were taking other similar medications before you started taking risperdal.  Would you tell us when you started and stopped each of the drugs you  mentioned and what dose you took?

Abilify: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Zyprexa: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Truval: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Levozin: ___ mg, started month/year, stopped month/year

Risperdal: 1.0 mg, started month/year.

When you've got that information, please put it in a signature (copy and paste) that will appear below every one of your posts.  Here's a link to where you do that:

Here's a link with information about what to include: Please put your withdrawal history in your signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

Now the question may

What about psychosis secondary symptoms? My doctor said that it takes half to a year to survive secondary symptoms after psychosis which are similar to side effects of antipsychotic medication (not having feelings, personality changes, memory loss, ect)

My doc said that i should "train my brain" because of secondary symptoms and cognitive problems.

but my cognitive problems have worsen when i started risperdal..

or am i wrong? Is this all really caused by medication or sec. Symptoms and is it safe really to quit medication this early? (7months)

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't know what your doctor means by secondary symptoms.  Instability of dosing and decreasing dose too quickly can trigger symptoms, however one chooses to classify them.

Would you please provide the information requested about your past medications -- doses, start dates, and stop dates?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction

11 hours ago, scallywag said:

I don't know what your doctor means by secondary symptoms.  Instability of dosing and decreasing dose too quickly can trigger symptoms, however one chooses to classify them.

Would you please provide the information requested about your past medications -- doses, start dates, and stop dates?

(I copied my answer)

I have had;

my doctor said that i should eat risperdal 2mg after having abilify, but i have been taking it 1mg and having no problems. 

Just MAYBE i have had some tiny illusions(delusions?)

As an alcoholic, can i ever drink again? Even casually?

i didn'nt have any seizures or strokes during my delirium tremens.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for writing your history again. Would you please copy and paste that into a signature in the user settings at this link:

What are your symptoms now?  Is there a pattern of symptoms that is the same each day?  Please write notes on paper  your symptoms and the times when you take your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

scallywag's Introduction

On 15.9.2017 at 4:35 AM, scallywag said:

Thank you for writing your history again. Would you please copy and paste that into a signature in the user settings at this link:

What are your symptoms now?  Is there a pattern of symptoms that is the same each day?  Please write notes on paper  your symptoms and the times when you take your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

I updated my signature.

i have tomorrow support group meeting for a very first time, so i hope i'll find similar people like me and talk about medication ect. I'm pretty excited and nervous at the same time. I shall post how it went tomorrow.

At this time of tapering (i have taking it 0,5mg for a week now) i might have some symptoms as tiny nausea after eating (or maybe its just my unhealthy eating) and i wake up every night around 5-7am, but i can get sleep afterall waking.

I'll update my symptoms and withdrawal journey to here as time goes by!

When i smoke tobacco i can feel myself a bit "normal" for a while, but it fades quickly away.

is there someone who has got off medication and recovered fully after taking risperidon/risperdal (or other)?

feel free to ask me about anything, i'll be answering questions even years later i think. 

It seems i'm not having any withdrawal symptoms since i've been 2,5 weeks on 0,5mg.

i have noticed another side effect (besides of ahendonia, libido loss ect) of risperdal.. breast milk! 

• 4 weeks later...

i have been on rispedal for 3 months now and i've been tapering since. Now i have been on 0,4mg for 3 weeks and next drop is half the 0,4mg = 0,2mg.

still not having any withdrawal symptoms.

i remember when i quit SSRI medicine  (seronil, i used it for years) and i tapered it in just 2weeks and had none withdrawal symptoms?? Hope it will be the same thing about risperdal..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Klipsanen,

I hope it continues going well for you.  However, if you do start experiencing symptoms please hold on that dose for a while to allow your brain to catch up before resuming your taper.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

On 20.10.2017 at 5:37 AM, ChessieCat said:

Hi Klipsanen,

I hope it continues going well for you.  However, if you do start experiencing symptoms please hold on that dose for a while to allow your brain to catch up before resuming your taper.

Yes, i shall remember that, thankyou :)

I think i'm having my feelings back..

i can actually talk pretty much without having that huge brainfog. Yesterday i had my libido back for a moment so i think thats improvement.

Risperdal is poison... not for everyone but at least for somebody. Breastmilk is caused by hyperprolactinemia due to the medication. Take care of you and be critical towards your doctor.

On Risperdal 6 mg a day from february to june

Now on Abilify 20mg Depakine ?mg and seroquel 200 mg

• 3 weeks later...

Oh boys.. i'm having problems now :S i've been taking 0,2mg risperdal for a week now. (I also have bloodtests on friday)

second sleepless night.. yesterday i had bipolarish symptoms, today i had "hangover" feelings (diarrea, tiny nausea) 

i should slowdown my tapering.. how to deal with isomnia? I think i should take ketipinor in emergency situations, not like every day..

• 4 weeks later...

Hello quys, tomorrow i shall start my last one month dose of 0,1mg, i hope everything goes well. One month, then i stop. When withdrawal symptoms occur?

oh also i had my bloodtest results, i have high level of prolactin (causing breast milk and loss of periods). My doctor said that i should switch to Latuda, oh hell no!

• 4 weeks later...

Well yeah i’ve been takin 0,1mg risperdal for about 4weeks and i have had some alcohol and getting bit drunk.. its second time i have had a drink and actually getting bit drunk, before i did not get drunk. ****... actually i’m now drunk also, so dont mind my language 😂 

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2018!!!

I still have Hyperprolactinemia despite stopping Risperidone last July. If I recall correctly. Prolactin stays elevated for 54 weeks (1 year, 1 month and 2 weeks!) and then lowers itself. You could try dopamine agonists like cabergoline, but they can bring about their own problems.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, hello again everyone.

So.. i have been on 0,1mg/0,05mg for about... 12 weeks.......

i have _NO GUTS_ to stop taking this medicine! I’m too scared to stop it, because i think i get psychosis anyways (even if i had psychosis caused just by alcohol)! 

HELP! 

i have had NONE side effect of tapering risperdal! I’m glad about it, but scared.

Uh oh.. i once smoked weed and drank alcohol combined = bad idea, but i had my libido back for 4 days and then i lost it again... 

i’ve started to eat more healthy and im trying to lose some weight (160lbs to 100-120lbs) . Is losing weight easy while on this medicine? 

Thankyou for your response!

• 1 month later...

Hello again! 

Important news everyone!

I have quit risperdal!!

its now been about.. 1,2months (about) since i stopped taking risperdal and i havent had ANY withdrawal symptoms!!

Its amazing! I havent had any tapering issues or withdrawal thing! 

What the fudge is happening??

was i really on this medication, because i havent felt any wd??

wow, just wow! 

Or maybe i’m just too over exited now so some day it backfires? I dont know, but lets see! I’ll tell if something happens!

so long good tapering everyone!!

• 2 months later...

If its true.. according to this topic i’ve been off medication.. 3,5 months?

okayyy.. everyone whos been chatting me privately i’m sorry that i said that i were off for 6 months, its been actually like.. 4 months only?? I cant really be that i could ”heal” this ”quick”? And also its have not been ”a year” since i started tapering.. like 9,5 moths?? 

okay okay.. i have the big news everyone..

i have feelings, libido and personality back!!

Wow this cant be really happening?

i’ve been praying and praying for a miracle and it really did happen!

But im kinda scared if my psychosis is coming back, but i dont think so! So, heres an advice; dont drink 80% vodka.. for 2 weeks.. very very bad idea, but now im a lot wiser!

You can see my medication history at my signature below..

Heres a summary of my history;

had alcohol included psychosis february/2017,

started tapering september(?)/2017

Quit off medication february/2018

feeling myself 90% better may/2018

i’ll update and answer every question, so just ask me anything!:)

have a great summer folks!

I AM SO HAPPY NOW!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Here’s my psychosis and medication history; 

so.. i had psychosis which was caused by extremely heavy drinking.

i had meds (latest risperdal) for.. 10months and they made me a zombie 😕

i quit risperdal about 4 months ago and i started feeling great little by little, until someday i felt totally back to myself! (Normally i’m talkative, say jokes and laugh alot)

uh oh so lately (2weeks) i’ve been feeling myself little bit ”too good” like i’m in a super good mood of love and happiness and i’m super confident! (Nothing euphoric) but *zap* my mood can be killed so easily to super pissed off (like workmate not greeting me) 

but in these 2 weeks i have learned to drink coffee and smoking cigarettes so..

every day i drink about 5-10cups of coffee (i get usually too energenic) so it (coffe/cig) cause me this kind of energyboosts.

I’m not psychically energic, but mentally too  energic, my mind is racing like crazy!

i’ll try to avoid coffee and cigs and alcohol from now on and i can already see that my mind is alot calmer.. (uh oh coffe/cig withdrawals are going to be hellish!)

like i said i’hv been only mentally/emotionally energic (my mood is changing all the time!) but pychically (you know my bodyfunction) i am really LAZY! (Like i normally am) but when i’m alone, i’m super lazy!

Even when in my head can make up great ideas and such but i have been reading about mania, i dont waste money or do all the rime something? Like i said, i’m lazy :D 

I have read the topic ”dealing with emotional spiral” and thats just the ways my mind is racing! I tried that sleeping habit about listening meditation music and it really helped and i slept within 10minutes! In these 2 weeks i have slept normally only once i didnt sleep at all (drank 10cups of coffee before going to sleep)

but i’m still concerned if THIS IS BIPO/MANIA?? 😕

• ChessieCat changed the title to Is this bipo/manic/psychosis?
  • 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi klipsanen, 

How are you doing?

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Klipsanen: how to taper risperdal in my case?
  • 1 month later...
On 1/25/2019 at 11:55 PM, Carmie said:

Hi klipsanen, 

How are you doing?

Hello Carmie and everybody...

Unfortunately i got into psychosis 7th of october 2018.. im so mad at myself.. i hate myself for being just me..

My first (booze)psychosis was about 2 years ago, so if i had taken my drugs kindly for these 2 years, i wouldn’t need to take them anymore.. 

but now my doctor and nurses say that i have ”schizoaffective disorder...”

i dont really feel like it. I think my second psychosis was caused by my working night shifts (+ bad appetite and lots of caffeine...) night shifting for the whole summer made my whole body ache!

My menstual syckle messed up (i didnt have periods for like 4 months) nausea, sleepness, migraines ect. 

I’ve read that night shifting causes psychosis, so here am i.. so sad there’s no turning time back..

My current doctor said that i need to eat this drug (Leponex) for 5 years, while nurses scares me saying that i need to take drugs for the rest of my life.. **** it, im really fighting for my rights to take Leponex only for 5 years, i miss being me! 

Super humorous and super energetic..

I think this med is somehow ok.. i tolerate this drug’s side effects which are ”brainfog” and lost libido.. 

This drug called Leponex (clotzapine) is the best kind of drug for me. I do have feelings and can talk somehow, but i really miss being me. 

I got a little fatter also.. its so difficult to lose weight..

i hope everyone’s doing great and i hope that someones can learn from me and feel free to ask questions!

Sincerely Klipsanen

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Klipsanen,  I am so sorry to hear your psychosis came back and you are back on meds.  Once you stabilize maybe you can consider tapering again slowly and then avoid all the things that you think might have played into your latest psychosis event.  Have you ever tried to any non drug techniques for while to get through the psychosis before you go back on meds? 

Wishing you peace and recovery, glosmom

2016 - Oct -Daughter started Risperdal (for steroid induced psychosis that never went away after stopping prednisone)

Nov - dose increases stopped at 1.5mg in Dec

2017 - Jan- weaned from 1.5 to 1.0 in 2 weeks then 1.0 to .5 in two weeks and then off. Feb. 3 weeks of increased psychosis, pacing, insomnia, other awful symptoms so late Feb  - Back on 1.5 mg Risperdal. May  - decrease to 1.25mg, two weeks later 1.0mg - symptoms started again. June - held steady at 1.25mg for 6 weeks and switched to liquid (3 ml syringe). July - started 10% taper every 3 weeks, October -  .8 mg, December - .7 mg .

2018 -Jan- 0.65 mg,  Feb- 0.59,  Mar-0.50, late April - .40mg, July- .36 mg, Aug - switched from 3 mL syringe to 1 mL syringe for more accuracy (her dad and i were not sure we were giving her the same dose when in between the 'dashes' on the 3 mL syringe.) Aug -.30 mg (3mL syr)/.44 mg (1 mL syr) difference due to med in the tip of both syringes). Sept- .28 mg (3mL syr)/.42 mg (1 mL syr). Oct - .16 mg (3 mL syr)/.30 mg (1 mL syr). Nov.- .06mg (3mL syr)/.20 mg (1mLsyr). Dec. - tip only/unmeasurable (3mL syr)/.10 mg (1mLsyr)

2019- Jan -.06 mg (1 mL syr), Feb- .025 mg (1 mL syr), Feb 27, 2019 - jumped to zero!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Klipsanen, 

I’m sorry for what you’ve gone through. As Glosmom said you can always taper again when you’re feeling stable again. 

Could you please update your signature, thank you.

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.