Dearangelou: Tapering down from Invega

dearangelou

Hello! I have played with my meds far too much in the past, so I found your site and am following the rules you suggest.

Over the past year, I've gone up on anti-psychotics, which has changed my hormones and made me sick. I want to go down on Invega from 12mg to 6mg.

Anyone taken this? Any advice?

Angelou

Edited by baroquep
  • scallywag changed the title to dearangelou: Tapering down on Invega
  • Moderator Emeritus

dearangelou

I'm glad you found this site before starting to reduce your invega dose. We have several active members who are tapering Invega and others who are tapering "anti-psychotic" medications.

A request:  Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here is some information relevant to your situation:

1. Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.
  2. Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.
  3. Tips for tapering off Invega.

In the topic #2 above, we present our best suggestion for minimizing the risk of withdrawal symptoms -- decrease dose by no more than 10% per month. Just a note, the decrease in mg changes each time because what seems to be most effective is to calculate the 10% on the dose at the time, not your starting dose. So your decreases and doses would be:

10.8 (12 - 1.2),

9.72 (10.8 - 1.08),

8.73 (9.7 - 0.97)

Some people find they need to make smaller adjustments: 7%, 5%, or even as little as 2%. To assess whether you are someone who needs to make smaller adjustments it's very important to pay attention to your symptoms. Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

To get a list of intro topics of others who are taking invega, you can click on the invega tag you added to your topic.  There are others posting about tapering this class of medications in the topic: Being on or tapering neuroleptics ("anti-psychotics").

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

x

Edited by scallywag
remove multiple unnecessary blank lines

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Scallywag,

Thank you so much! I am not sure what I've taken when, but I'm back on track now.

I'm curious about this: have you all noticed symptoms from coming off meds that resemble an allergic reaction?

Angelou

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Angelou,

There are many different types of withdrawal symptoms, including some that could resemble an allergic reaction.  What are the symptoms you are having?

You don't need to remember all your drug history for your signature, but if you can put in things that have happened recently, with dates and doses, that would help. 

Welcome to SA,

Karen

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• 2 months later...

I am attaching my med history. It is detailed by day.

The abbreviations are: P for Paxil, S for Synthroid (which I suppose I will stay on), I for Invega, and R for Risperidone, and Z for Zyprexa. 

There are a few Gs, and they are Gabapentin.

I hope you all can give me advice. I am so sick of taking the meds when they seem to make me feel "out of it."

Angelou

Meds.docx

Edited by baroquep

I just wanted to post and say I am here and I am sick of it too. I just found this place and I am hoping to find help here. I hope you will too.

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg. Taper 2023-2024. Taper complete!

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg. CT (unavailable) 4/2023

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2018- Lamictal 300mg. Holding

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

2014 Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

• Moderator Emeritus

Dearangelou, re Sick of med roulette post - I have merged your this post back into your introduction topic and would ask that you post all of your questions here.  There is only one thread per member and it is important to keep all of your history in one place.  Thanks.

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Derangedlou, Sorry to hear that you are still not feeling well, it's been awhile since you last posted.  Unfortunately we will not be able to give you any information until we have a clearer picture of what you are presently dealing with.  Can you tell me what your current symptoms are?  I see you have attached a document but we asked that every member complete a withdrawal history signature and would ask that you provide the information that Scallywag requested below.  Thanks.

On 2017-06-13 at 1:09 PM, scallywag said:

dearangelou

I'm glad you found this site before starting to reduce your invega dose. We have several active members who are tapering Invega and others who are tapering "anti-psychotic" medications.

A request:  Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • You can find instructions in this topic: Please put your withdrawal history in signature.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here is some information relevant to your situation:

1. Before you begin tapering -- what you need to know.
  2. Why taper by 10% of my dosage?.
  3. Tips for tapering off Invega.

In the topic #2 above, we present our best suggestion for minimizing the risk of withdrawal symptoms -- decrease dose by no more than 10% per month. Just a note, the decrease in mg changes each time because what seems to be most effective is to calculate the 10% on the dose at the time, not your starting dose. So your decreases and doses would be:

10.8 (12 - 1.2),

9.72 (10.8 - 1.08),

8.73 (9.7 - 0.97)

Some people find they need to make smaller adjustments: 7%, 5%, or even as little as 2%. To assess whether you are someone who needs to make smaller adjustments it's very important to pay attention to your symptoms. Please keep notes on paper of your symptoms and the times of your dose(s). This post has a useful format for a daily log:

Take notes of doses and symptoms.

To get a list of intro topics of others who are taking invega, you can click on the invega tag you added to your topic.  There are others posting about tapering this class of medications in the topic: Being on or tapering neuroleptics ("anti-psychotics").

I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

x

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• ChessieCat changed the title to Dearangelou: Tapering down from Invega