Jump to content

Bedish: Paxil withdrawal and health anxiety


Bedish

Recommended Posts

I have health anxiety after every time ı stop paxil. Anyone **** me? Many thanks in advance

Edited by baroquep

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Bedish,

 

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA), I’m glad you found the site. 

 

You haven’t given us much information to go on, and would ask that you let us know you have been trying to discontinue Paxil.  You may not be aware, but when an antidepressant is discontinued abruptly, doses skipped/alternated or a person tapers off too quickly this puts you at risk for developing withdrawal syndrome.  Because you are having difficulties stopping Paxil, it would appear that this is what is happening to you when you try to stop.

 

In order for us to provide you with specific information regarding your situation, we ask all of our members to fill out a withdrawal signature history so that all of your information can be read at a glance.  This helps moderators review your tapering/drug withdrawal history and we would ask that you follow the instructions at the link below.

 

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

 

 •    Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
 •    A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
 •    Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
 •    Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
 •    Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.

 

Surviving Antidepressants recommends tapering by 10% of your current dose with at a hold of at least four weeks before your next decrease.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at an even more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  

 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?
Before you begin tapering what you need to know
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
Tips for Tapering off Paxil / Paroxetine

 

I would encourage you to have a look at the links above, connect with members of the community so that you have the information necessary to successfully taper off of Paxil safely.

 

Best,
BaroqueP

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Link to comment
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Bedish: Health anxiety

I've had terrible health anxiety at many points in my life and it did get much worse when I went through prolonged AD withdrawal when off Celexa in 2015. I can relate. Like Baroq said, people here can be more helpful if you give more information.

-I was on an SSRI (most recently Celexa at 40mg/day) for about 15 years for anxiety. I tapered off over about 8 months and in 2015 and had worsened anxiety and well-being once off it. In the fall of 2015 (I believe) I did a low dose reinstatement and was doing better. I stayed on roughly 1 ml (2 mg) for a while but eventually lowered it to .5 ml and was on this for a long time.

-Around late mid May (2017) my anxiety was worse and I increased the Celexa to 1.5 ml. At first, I felt significantly better but I developed a hand tremor. I also was having some attention and concentration difficulties. In mid July (over about 2 weeks) I tapered off of the Celexa and was off it for about 2 1/2 weeks before I started to feel an intense increase in anxiety and my hand tremor returned.

-Aug 13, 2017 I did a low dose reinstatement of 0.5 ml a day and am currently still taking that. Initial response is good.

-Early September 2017 to present - hand tremor returns and attention and concentration are impaired. Feeling of unbalance/unsteadiness from using treadmill. Mild changes to sexual performance too.

-Sept 18, 2017: 0.4 ml Celexa. Everything is generally improving although hand tremor is worse. Attention, concentration, and anxiety are good.

-I am also on Wellbutrin (200 mg/day) for anxiety and take a Benadryl at night for sleep and allergies. Eventually I'd like to be off everything.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9730-chancelucky-antidepressant-withdrawal-social-anxiety-pessimism/

 

Link to comment
  • Administrator

Welcome, Bedish.

 

What exactly do you mean by health anxiety?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to comment

Dear all

 

I had been on paxil on and off for the last 11 years. I started taking it after panic attacks. I stopped 3 times and each time to go back. Now i stopped again 4 months ago after tapering for a month. I had used it for a year this time.

 

Evertime i stop post nasal drip, health anxiety, sinus problems start. I am in a job which i am not happy but cannot leave it as it is my company. And when i am not on paxil i start seeing more of the problems. I studied psychology and read alot. Sometimes living in a world where it is not easy to keep dignity is hard. But hardest is seeing it and living through it. I also know it takes one into depression if i keep on thinking negatively and look from a posotive perspective. And afraid that i am causing myself health problems. Vicious cycle...

 

I am hoping to read your replies. Manny thanks for being here..

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Bedish: Paxil withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bedish, I've merged your new post (Paxil Withdrawal) into your Introduction Topic which is where you should post all of your questions.  This keeps all of your information in one place.  Would you be able to answer the question below and review the topics provided earlier?

 

On 2017-09-15 at 1:52 AM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Bedish.

 

What exactly do you mean by health anxiety?

 

On 2017-09-13 at 5:56 PM, baroquep said:

Hi  Bedish,

 

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA), I’m glad you found the site. 

 

You haven’t given us much information to go on, and would ask that you let us know you have been trying to discontinue Paxil.  You may not be aware, but when an antidepressant is discontinued abruptly, doses skipped/alternated or a person tapers off too quickly this puts you at risk for developing withdrawal syndrome.  Because you are having difficulties stopping Paxil, it would appear that this is what is happening to you when you try to stop.

 

In order for us to provide you with specific information regarding your situation, we ask all of our members to fill out a withdrawal signature history so that all of your information can be read at a glance.  This helps moderators review your tapering/drug withdrawal history and we would ask that you follow the instructions at the link below.

 

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

 

 •    Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
 •    A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
 •    Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
 •    Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
 •    Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.

 

Surviving Antidepressants recommends tapering by 10% of your current dose with at a hold of at least four weeks before your next decrease.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at an even more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  

 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?
Before you begin tapering what you need to know
Why taper by 10% of my dosage?
Tips for Tapering off Paxil / Paroxetine

 

I would encourage you to have a look at the links above, connect with members of the community so that you have the information necessary to successfully taper off of Paxil safely.

 

Best,
BaroqueP

 

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Link to comment
  • ChessieCat changed the title to Bedish: Paxil withdrawal and health anxiety
On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM, Altostrata said:

Welcome, Bedish.

 

What exactly do you mean by health anxiety?

Hello again and thanks for yr reply. When i say health anxiety i mean taking every ache and pain as a serious illness. I sprained my knee the other day and was afraid to go to a dr. (I did at the end). I have a problem od diarrhea and swallowing and post nasal drip and they all started after stopping paxil 4 months ago. I do not know how long it will take and hoping that i am brave enough not to start paxil again.

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment
  • Administrator

Yes, when you make every ache and pain into a big occasion for fear, you make life more difficult for yourself.

 

Health anxiety can be managed with cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). Can you work with a therapist on this? There's no reason to take Paxil for health anxiety.

 

Your gut is telling you it needs to stay calm. Perhaps you could consider a non-irritating diet for a while: Very mild foods such as chicken, rice, broth, cooked vegetables, soups.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to comment
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bedish,

 

Please make a signature which contains your drug history.  Thank you.

 

 A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature - ALL drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

 VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Link to comment

Hello and many thanks for your replies. After reading many posts ı understood my tapering of having 10 mg which was the half doz for a month was not enough. I do not want to go back rhough. I really hate pıst nasal drop ı have everytime ı stop and do not know what to do.

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment

Hey Bedish. I'm currently on paxil 3.5mg and I plan to taper for at least 3 more years. It's my choice to go slow, but yours was definitely too fast.

 

If you give more information on your drug history the mods can offer their advice on what to do next.

 

Took my first SSRI sipralexa/lexapro/escitalopram in 2007 for depression. In 2010 the doctor switched me to paroxetine/seroxat/paxil for anxiety.

My paroxetine story from then on:

 

2010-15 from 10mg up to 20mg

jan 2016 30mg

may 2016 0mg cold turkey (don't!)

dec 2016 symptoms: anxiety, tremor (could barely stand)

jan 2017 reinstated at 7.5mg to taper in steps of 10%

...

Dose changes from may 2017 to now: 

5.0/4.7/4.4/4.0/3.7/3.5/3.3/3.1mg

Link to comment
  • Moderator Emeritus
15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Health anxiety can be managed with cognitive behavior therapy (CBT). Can you work with a therapist on this? There's no reason to take Paxil for health anxiety.

 

 Alto,

 

I agree in part with this and also disagree in part.  I agree that nobody needs to take Paxil for health anxiety when they present with that condition.  HOWEVER, if the health anxiety is really a withdrawal symptom -- Bedish says that it arises when he stops the Paxil -- then the analysis is different.  I know in my case I went from "health aware" to "health anxiety" as a result of withdrawal.  

 

Cognitive behavioral therapy is the right approach to the issue, however, it is a little bit more difficult to "rewire the brain" while it is being chemically assaulted with neurotransmitters misfiring due to withdrawal.

 

Best,

 

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

 

Link to comment
  • Administrator

That is very true, apace.

 

Bedish, aside from health anxiety, what is your current symptom pattern?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Link to comment

Hello altostrata my mail symptom is having flu like symptoms and constant post nasal drip. Everytime i stop paxil this drip starts. This time food particles stuck on my throat sometimes depending on my awareness. And i have started therapy again.

Thank you everyone. I really really appreciate all yr posts.

 

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment

I think i will need to start paxil again after 4 months so i reinstate it. What do you think?

Thank you

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Bedish,

 

Please put you drug doses in your signature.  Edit a signature.

 

Q:  What was the last dose of Paxil that you took when you stopped in April 2017?

 

Once we know the dose we can make a suggestion of what amount you could try as a reinstatement.  These drugs are very strong and sometimes taking a dose as small as 1mg or 2mg can help with the withdrawal symptoms.  Sometimes even a very tiny dose of 0.5mg might be enough.  Please read Post #1 of this topic so that you understand about reinstatement.  Because your brain will already have made some adjustments in the months you have been off Paxil, please do not go back on the same dose you were taking in April this year.  This would be too much for your brain and may cause major problems.

 

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

 VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Link to comment

Hello ChessieCat. Thank you fr yr reply. We do not have liquid paxil in turkey and the smallest doze is 20 mg. What would you suggest.

many thanks

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment
  • Moderator Emeritus

From Post #1:  Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

 

Make your own liquid
You can make your own liquid with water. See How to make a liquid from tablets or capsules

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

 VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Link to comment
  • Moderator Emeritus
8 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Please put you drug doses in your signature.  Edit a signature.

 

Q:  What was the last dose of Paxil that you took when you stopped in April 2017?

 

From your signature:

 

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

 

Did you take your dose on alternate days?  Or did you just stop at 10mg?

Please DO NOT TAG me - thank you

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions. 

  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq      on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

 VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Link to comment

Thank you Chessie ı stopped at 10.

Paxil usage 20 mg

2006-2007

2009-2011

zoloft usage cannot renember

2012-2013

paxil usage 20 mg

2015 -2017 april

tapered for s mınth with 10 mg

Link to comment

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy