Snackilroy: Introduction

snackilroy

Hello everyone, 

Here is my history and what I am currently dealing with...

In 2011 I had an extremely stressful semester of college in which I did nothing but study all day every day and isolate myself. At the beginning of the next semester I believe I experienced a panic attack and the symptoms of anxiety and/or depression.

I took a leave of absence from school and starting seeing a psychiatrist who prescribed Lexapro. It did not help at all. Over the next several years I did not change my unhealthy coping habits but I continued to see various psychiatrists who prescribed me various SSRIs, SNRIs, tricyclics, MAOis, benzodiazapenes, antipsychotics, and an anticonvulsant. I eventually saw a therapist. The therapist ended up being just as bad and made matters much worse for me, I didn't realize it was a good idea to shop around before settling on one.

Somewhere along the way I realized that, while I was still chronically anxious, I was more anxious about how I was feeling that anything else and that the medications I was taking were keeping me stuck. I eventually got a good therapist and weened off of my meds with the help of a psychiatrist. I took my last dose of medicine (Lexapro) on 5/19/2016. I immediately started to experience brain zaps which lasted for about a month. After a month the acute withdrawal symptoms subsided but I continued to experience a long list of other symptoms which I believe are due to the medicine I was taking.

The symptoms include: poor sleep, low testosterone, low sex drive, apathy, anhedonia, dizziness, very low motivation, racing heart, trouble concentrating, racing thoughts, physical agitation, feeling hot, sensitivity to sound, anxiety, muscle tension in my back and neck, difficulty waking up, irritability, maybe some others that I'm forgetting.

I have been seen by several endocrinologists, a sleep doctor, a functional medicine doctor, and dermatologist (I had a bad rash while on the medicine but he said it wasn't because of the meds, I disagree). All of them took several blood tests and gave me a clean bill of health. They could not determine the cause of my symptoms.

In the past year I believe the symptoms have gotten better. However, progress has been so slow and subtle I can't even be sure of that most of the time. I firmly believe the cause of my symptoms is the meds I used to take. I have ruled out every other cause I can think of. I currently manage my symptoms by living as healthy of a life as I possibly can. I work out regularly, I eat a very clean diet, I have good sleep hygiene,   I maintain many close personal friendships, I have a loving relationship with my girlfriend, I am actively seeking out a therapist to help me deal with the stress and anxiety that I am experiencing due to my situation, I am continuing to pursue my career goals, and I make time for fun activities and recreation.

I am not sure exactly what I am hoping to get from this forum. Maybe some information to validate my line of thinking and to confirm that what I am experiencing is to the the meds. Also, any information regarding prognosis would be helpful and success stories are always great to hear. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. 

Edited by baroquep

Since 2011 I've been on Lexapro (twice), prozac, wellbutrin, abilify, clomiprimine, emsam, lamictal, xanax, and klonipin for mild to moderate depression/anxiety

Quit Zoloft and DRUG FREE since May 2016

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Snackilroy,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA), I am really glad that you found the site.  Withdrawal syndrome is very real despite what most in the medical community would like everyone to believe and this site is testament to just how many people deal with the very real issues surrounding withdrawal from SSRIs (as well as other drugs).  

It sounds like you have already taken many steps to help you recover from what I can only assume was a quick taper off of Lexapro and sorry to hear that you are in the position you find yourself in.  

It is good to know that you are interested in learning more, so I am attaching a few links that will explain withdrawal syndrome and likely what you are still suffering from today.  I hope that you find the information here useful in helping you understand how antidepressants remodel your brain, withdrawal syndrome and the patterns of healing after the drugs are discontinued.  SA is a very supportive community with members who know what you are going through and are here to help.  

Please feel free to connect with other members in your intro thread, it would be great if you could share your experience.  You will find a wealth of information here and encourage you to also check out the Symptoms & Self-Care Forum which will introduce you to strategies used by other members to help deal with their ongoing symptoms and I've attached a link below for your reference.   

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain aka Brain Remodelling

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Symptoms & Self Care

We ask all of our members to fill out a signature so that all of your information can be read at a glance.  This helps moderators determine you current situation and we would ask that you follow the instructions at the link below.

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Best,
Baroquep

Edited by baroquep

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

• 3 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone could help me determine whether the symptoms I am experiencing are due to the medication I used to take, or if they were likely due to something else (anxiety? a physical problem?)

I quit all medication about 16 months ago when I stopped taking Zoloft. I tapered down under the supervision of a psychiatrist. I had brain zaps for about a month after stopping the medication. The brain zaps stopped but I have many other symptoms that haven't gone away still. They include: Dizziness, tightness in my back and neck, physical agitation, poor sleep, racing thoughts, racing heart, difficulty concentrating, irritability, lack of motivation, low sex drive, low testosterone (I'm a 26 y.o. male). These symptoms are very uncomfortable for me and definitely decrease my quality of life. 

Though I think I may have gotten a little better in the past 16 months, progress has been extremely subtle and a lot of times I'm not sure if I've made much progress at all. I've seen several types of doctors including endocrinologists, a sleep doctor, and a functional medicine doctor. None of them could find anything wrong with me physically. I  just started seeing a therapist and hopefully he can help me cope with this better and, if my main problem is anxiety, maybe help fix my problem. Though I am anxious about my situation I don't necessarily think I have an anxiety problem. There are many days that go by where I am not necessarily worrying or anxious but my symptoms persist.

I know that no one can diagnose me with 100% certainty but I guess I was just wondering how other people here were able to determine that their problem was due to medicine withdrawal and not a anxiety problem, psychiatric problem, or something else. 

Thanks!

Since 2011 I've been on Lexapro (twice), prozac, wellbutrin, abilify, clomiprimine, emsam, lamictal, xanax, and klonipin for mild to moderate depression/anxiety

• ChessieCat changed the title to snackilroy: Withdrawal syndrome or something else?

Hi Snackilroy

it sounds like you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping the medications.  I quit Zoloft and zyprexa a few years back in early 2014.  I had the brain zaps and lightheadedness for about a month like you did, but then continued having issues with poor sleep/insomnia which  led to upper back pains/tightness, racing heart/palpitations, fatigue, anhedonia, cognitive problems, etc.  I never really had any of these issues before I started taking meds.  I would sometimes become depressed during Midwestern winters especially if I wasn't working or maybe was drinking a lot, but it would clear up with the return of spring and finding work.   Since I quit the meds, sleep has been a struggle these 3+ years for me.  I don't know what to tell you about the sleep issues, sometimes they clear up on their own after a year or two.  some people try Magnesium or Fish Oil.  I had luck with a magnesium powder drink for one night 2 1/2 years ago.  I felt like my old self for one night.  all the anxiety and tightness was gone, but the next night the magnesium didn't do anything which is common  in wd where supplements can sometimes work once or for a little while and then not work or even cause problems.   you might try Taurine for the racing heart or heart palpitations.  of the many supplements I have bought for wd symptoms and that now fill my cupboards, that one seemed to work pretty well at least for my heart palpitations.    I am sure one of the moderators probably has better advice, but it's almost certainly withdrawal from the meds that is causing your current problems.

poetjester

Court committed to take Prozac, Paxci, and Respiradol from 8/95 to 3/96.   developed severe akithisia and brain damage.  Was unable to speak and walking in circles 15 hours a day.  Went in for 5 sessions of ECT during a 10 day period in March of '96 and my forced medication was discontinued at that time.  My akithisia and brain damage cleared up within a few days of stopping the meds.

On Zoloft (200 mg) and Zyprexa (17.5 mg) March 1998- Feb 2014

In between was placed on Effexor 200 mg and Abilify for six months in 2004.  Developed mild akithisia which went away once I stopped the Abilify.  Developed severe GI issues in Dec 2001 and from that time on suffered from fatigue and hypersomnia where I would sleep between 12 and 20 hours a day and rarely ever left my apartment. 

Had tapered to 100 mg of Zoloft and 7.5 mg of Zyprexa at the time of going cold turkey Feb. 2014

Went 5 days without sleep at the beginning while vomiting all over my apt.  Had brain zaps for a number of weeks and also lightheadedness which both eventually went away.  However 2 1/2 yrs later I still struggle with insomnia, depression, and fatigue.

6 hours ago, PoetJester said:

Hi Snackilroy

it sounds like you are experiencing withdrawal symptoms from stopping the medications.  I quit Zoloft and zyprexa a few years back in early 2014.  I had the brain zaps and lightheadedness for about a month like you did, but then continued having issues with poor sleep/insomnia which  led to upper back pains/tightness, racing heart/palpitations, fatigue, anhedonia, cognitive problems, etc.  I never really had any of these issues before I started taking meds.  I would sometimes become depressed during Midwestern winters especially if I wasn't working or maybe was drinking a lot, but it would clear up with the return of spring and finding work.   Since I quit the meds, sleep has been a struggle these 3+ years for me.  I don't know what to tell you about the sleep issues, sometimes they clear up on their own after a year or two.  some people try Magnesium or Fish Oil.  I had luck with a magnesium powder drink for one night 2 1/2 years ago.  I felt like my old self for one night.  all the anxiety and tightness was gone, but the next night the magnesium didn't do anything which is common  in wd where supplements can sometimes work once or for a little while and then not work or even cause problems.   you might try Taurine for the racing heart or heart palpitations.  of the many supplements I have bought for wd symptoms and that now fill my cupboards, that one seemed to work pretty well at least for my heart palpitations.    I am sure one of the moderators probably has better advice, but it's almost certainly withdrawal from the meds that is causing your current problems.

poetjester

thank you for your input and advice!