Sign in to follow this  
WarriorWoman

How to taper less than .01mg at a time

WarriorWoman

I am tapering liquid Risperdal and  am trying to make a smaller cut than .01mg at a time. I am currently at 1.10mg. This is what I usually do:

1. Measure out 1 mg with a 2 ml syringe and at it to 1/2 cup water per directions from medication insert

2. Measure out .10ml with a .50 ml syringe (1ml of liquid = 1mg of Risperidone)

3. Stir then drink right away

Is there a way that I can measure out an amount of liquid and then pull an amount that will give me a .005ml/mg cut? If so, can anyone provide he water to drug ratio as to how to go about making a cut this tiny? the smallest cut I can make with the .50ml syringe is a .01ml.

Thank you all for your help!!

ChessieCat

If you make your solution with twice the amount of water, ie 1 cup, then your solution will be 1/2 the strength, ie 1ml of liquid would = 0.5mg Risperidone

The other option would be to measure out 0.5ml Risperidone with the syringe and add it to 1/2 cup water.  This also would be 1/2 the strength as above.

WarriorWoman

Thank you ChessieCat. So if my full dose id 1.10mg added to half a cup of water and I normally drink the whole thing how much would I remove to get a .005mg cut? Usually when I make a cut I just put .01mg less in the water before drinking it but I can"t measure that out with the syringe I have as a .01mg cut is the smallest I can go. Would it be best to put the .01mg cut in a small, measured amount of liquid and then remove half of it? So, .01mg in 1 tablespoon water and only drink 1/2 teaspoon? I was thinking that this would be the correct way to do the .005mg cut but my brain is so foggy and I've never been great at math :( My husband who has a minor in mathematics in college said to do it this way but I'm so paranoid of making a mistake!

ChessieCat

I'm going to have to ask for the other mods help with this one.  Your husband probably has it right but it sure doesn't hurt to get it double checked.

ChessieCat

Hi WW,

One of the other mods has looked at your husband's method and responded:   "Yes, that would be a good way to do it."

WarriorWoman

Thank you CC. And thank you to the other mod :)