SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Callie: venlafaxine XR or Effexor XR - hoping to be well someday

Callie

On 10/8/2021 at 5:23 AM, Callie said:

Hello, tsranga,

I want you to know that I saw your post earlier this week, yet I have not been able to devote the time and effort to responding to your questions as thoughtfully as I would like and in a way you deserve. Please forgive me.

My elderly mother-in-law is gravely ill, and I have spent just about every waking moment over the last 2 weeks helping my husband attend to her needs. She will be placed in hospice today, so please know that by no means have I carelessly ignored you. Your concerns have been on my mind since I saw your post, and I only regret that I didn't drop a quick note like this earlier in the week. So please, again, forgive me.

I will definitely get back to you and answer your questions as best as I can. In the meanwhile, please know that I do care very much about you; so hang in there!!!

Callie

Thank you so much for responding. Please take your time - I completely understand.

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, tsranga:

Again, I’m so sorry I have taken so long to answer you.

Well, tactile hypersensitivity and paresthesia are my most persistent symptoms. Even though they have troubled me from the very start of AD WD, I must say that over time their intensity is diminishing. For instance, once I go to bed at night, through the night, and for about 15 minutes after waking in the morning, my skin feels completely normal. Plus, a few months ago for about three weeks, I was able to wear long-sleeve tops right-side out with no problem. Imagine that! Since then, however, I’ve been back to the daily struggle of what top to wear. Some days I have to change clothes three or four times depending on what tactile sensors are overly aroused—we have several of those. How often, too, that both paresthesia and tactile hypersensitivity simultaneously affect me, like when it feels like a million tiny pins are sticking in my skin (paresthesia) and at the same time my arms feel frozen from just mildly cool air in the room (tactile hypersensitivity). It’s thermoreceptors in our skin that overreact to temperatures. So, yes, just like you, I have difficulty with temperature fluctuations and extremes.

Anyway getting back to clothing, for me it is not the type of fabric so much as it is the texture. A soft, very smooth, cotton such as modal is quite tolerable on my skin; whereas just looking at a bristly, stiff, course cotton fabric makes me cringe. BTW, the only bed sheets I use year round are modal cotton. In summer, it’s a very soft faux fur fabric blanket atop the sheet, and in winter, a weighted blanket. And before I forget, for bathing, it’s soft washcloths made for babies and velour towels. Also, I only use soap-free cleansers.

So far, the most skin-friendly fabric I have found for daytime wear on my arms is velour. I understand though that you have issues with your lower extremities, and I did as well way back at the start of AD WD. I could not wear jeans for the longest time, and the hem on shorts was just flat out intolerable. So what I wore every day, even in summer, was a base-layer long underwear made from a spandex blend, of course, inside out as seams feel like knives cutting into my skin. I wore my jeans or lightweight sweats over them. I find now that stores are carrying bottoms made from velour. I highly recommend giving those a try.

It’s a real challenge though finding skin-friendly fabrics whether in ready-made clothing or by the yard, if you happen to sew. I never would have imagined that my closet, with all my beautiful clothes, would turn into a torture chamber so to speak. Anyway to summarize, the features I look for in fabric are as follows:

·         Extremely lightweight

·         Smooth as glass to the touch, no bristling surface fibers no matter how tiny

·         Very, very soft

·         Short, tight nap when it comes to velour

·         Extremely supple, absolutely no stiffness whatsoever

·         Breathable or wicking

Two-way or four-way stretch, if possible

You ask how frequent are my flares from hypersensitivity. Gosh, that’s a tough one for me to answer. I can say temperature is a big one, as mentioned before. Changes in seasons and going in and out of air conditioning in summer are brutal on my skin. There always seems to be something in the environment that my touch sensors are reacting to, and I never knew there were several different types of them. Did you know that we can even feel vibrations around us?

Imagine that plus all the other touch triggers around us that are magnified a gazillion trillion times by our touch receptors. I'm beginning to think that perhaps gaba receptors in the thalamus are trying to re-regulate leaving our sensory filtering gates wide open. Not only that but serotonin receptors are regenerating; and because they are new, they are extremely hypersensitive. (NOTE PLEASE: The preceding italicized sentences/ideas are just my crazy theories, not fact.)

I really think that time is the only antidote to this malady we all have no matter what our many different symptoms are. The only thing we can do is try different coping methods to help get us through until we heal, and we are healing. Every single one of us is! It’s just a long, painful process.

I hope I addressed all of your concerns. If I missed something, just let me know, please. And I also apologize once again for my delay in getting back to you. Last week, my mother-in-law did pass on to her next life; but while she was here, she lived a long, happy one, I must say.

You will heal. Have patience and hope! Hang in there.

Callie

Lexapro: 2004-2010; Effexor XR 225 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017

Abilify 5 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017; Buspirone 60 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Trazadone 100 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Xanax: as needed; Fast taper

On 10/30/2021 at 6:42 AM, Callie said:

I hope I addressed all of your concerns. If I missed something, just let me know, please. And I also apologize once again for my delay in getting back to you. Last week, my mother-in-law did pass on to her next life; but while she was here, she lived a long, happy one, I must say.

@CallieThank you so much for taking the time to respond and I am sending you healing thoughts and hugs.. 

Your observations mirror mine regarding the type of fabric. Smoother fabrics seem to be better overall, and I am slowly able to tolerate different textures better. I still find it hard to deal with weight and heat of heavier bed coverings, especially on my upper body. 

Interestingly,  I have noticed since I started with my acupuncture treatment two weeks ago, my overall hypersensitivity has reduced and my tolerance to sensory changes seems to have gotten better.  I can still feel the heat and cold and other symptoms, but there is no accompanying fight/flight activity.  Also, for the first time since a window in Mar 2020,  I have had consistent sleep for the last two weeks, despite weather changes.

Having said that, a storm just arrived today, both my hypersensitivity and fight/flight system was off.. Fortunately, I was able to breathe through it and it took me a couple of hours to settle down..  I really hope acupuncture can continue to  support me through this by reducing the sensitivity. 

Have you noticed any fight/flight reactivity that precedes the hypersensitivity?    For some strange reason today, I was overly sensitive to sound and temperature this morning, and when the fight/flight kicks in, the brain starts going into panic/overwhelm mode and every thought becomes a major issue to deal with..  And then once it settles down, my mind is available again to process the very same thoughts calmly. 

I can never say for sure what triggered such a response today - it seemed to start with a sudden uneasy feeling in the gut (gut-brain axis is a very sensitive one for me), and the only change this morning was the weather and the  presence of my spouse back from  travel. Just the sound of her footsteps, and the noise from the cable box triggered irrational fear..    

Any sort of change (mostly weather but can also be presence/absence of people/sounds/smells/sights) could still trigger a reaction it seems, before the nervous system adapts to the change. Interestingly though, I had less of a reaction with changes outside my home (staying overnight at my friend's place, using a rough cotton bedsheet).  

Maybe there are different levels of triggers, and some are more triggering than others..  One definitely seems to be about adjusting to the presence/absence of my spouse. I just can't seem to understand why there is such a reaction immediately surrounding the event.. it seems to be centered around daily routine and associated sensory processing.. along with an emotional component (being alone/dealing with responsibilities when absent, finding time to be together/anxiety around interactions/supporting her through her challenges, when present).. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

Hello, tsranga:

Great that acupuncture is helping you. I tried it three years ago for a couple of months with no results. Perhaps my acupuncturist placed the needles in the wrong area. She targeted my arms but maybe should have placed them in my neck or scalp. Who knows!?! Anyway, wonderful that you’re getting relief.

Have you noticed any fight/flight reactivity that precedes the hypersensitivity? 

I think the fight or flight response is connected to cortisol; so yes, when I experience a cortisol spike, my tactile hypersensitivity increases. What seems to trigger it most often though is cold air. Our change in seasons now has ramped up my symptoms. This happens every year.

Hang in there! This too shall pass.

Callie

Edited by ChessieCat
resized font and added spacing

Abilify 5 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017; Buspirone 60 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Trazadone 100 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Xanax: as needed; Fast taper

On 11/6/2021 at 5:07 AM, Callie said:

What seems to trigger it most often though is cold air. Our change in seasons now has ramped up my symptoms. This happens every year.

Yeah..  Ambient air temperature is quite challenging although my tolerance for cold and heat seems to have improved with the acupuncture. However, this week has been a bit tough with 3 sleepless nights and has triggered histamine dumps (gas, reflux, multiple BMs and urination at night from 11:30 to 3:30am).  That triggers everything else - hot/cold sensitivity, different parts of the body feeling cold/hot, cold feet in the afternoons, tactile sensitivity, slow gut, AM anxiety, hot/red ears etc..). 

The time change brings in its own fear (having to deal with monitoring my eating/sleep/exercise times). 

Thank you for the support. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you are well.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

Thank you, ThatOneGirlStitch!

Yep, I'm getting there. It's been a long, long road for me. I'm more than half way there. Hope you will get there, too, but more quickly than I.

Hang in there!

Callie

I need help with something. Anybody out there who has experience or advice on prescription (Rx) and over-the-counter (OTC) pain killers?

I need to have a tooth extracted next month and will need a prescription for either Tylenol with codeine or Norco. Oral surgeon said I must have both the Rx and an OTC one on hand. I don't want to take anything, but if I'm in severe pain I might have to. So which Rx one:  Tylenol w/codeine or Norco? And also, which OTC pain reliever would be best to take after this procedure:  aspirin, Tylenol, ibuprofen, Advil, or combo Tylenol/Advil? Or something else?

Actually, I'm going to try to wing it with just an ice pack but just want to be prepared in case.

Thank you!

• Moderator Emeritus

Personally, if it was me (ie not from a mod's perspective) I would opt for the paracetamol/codeine.  Codeine and hydrocodone are both opoids.

And just paracetamol once you don't need the combo.  Aspirin thins the blood.

Sometimes when I have had an extraction I have taken the paracetamol/codeine.  Be aware that it might cause constipation, and if taken for an extended period of time it might be a good idea to taper off it.  For example, reduce by 25% every few days.

For more information see:

https://www.therecoveryvillage.com/codeine-addiction/codeine-vs-hydrocodone-pain/

painkillers-in-withdrawal-aspirin-ibuprofen-paracetamol-acetaminophen-naproxen-codeine

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ChessieCat:

Thank you so much for answering so quickly with the exact info I need!

I briefly looked at both hyperlinks and will study the OTC one more in depth and will most likely go with your recommendation. However, I will definitely opt for Rx Tylenol with codeine and try not to even take any of it. If I do, I'll cut the pill in half or quarters. My AD WD experience has left me with an incredibly intense fear of drugs, both prescription and OTC, plus I'm still in WD and don't want any set backs. I'm just so grateful for your help and don't know how to thank you enough.

I follow you and do want to congratulate you on finishing your taper. My goodness! What a long haul for you but so glad you made it!

Best wishes always,

Callie

• 4 months later...
On 12/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, Callie said:

ChessieCat:

Thank you so much for answering so quickly with the exact info I need!

I briefly looked at both hyperlinks and will study the OTC one more in depth and will most likely go with your recommendation. However, I will definitely opt for Rx Tylenol with codeine and try not to even take any of it. If I do, I'll cut the pill in half or quarters. My AD WD experience has left me with an incredibly intense fear of drugs, both prescription and OTC, plus I'm still in WD and don't want any set backs. I'm just so grateful for your help and don't know how to thank you enough.

I follow you and do want to congratulate you on finishing your taper. My goodness! What a long haul for you but so glad you made it!

Best wishes always,

Callie

Hi @Callie how is your tactile hypersensitivity and paraesthesia now?

Fluoxetine 2017 sept- 2019 January CT

Have been in a wave with it all winter long. Feel frozen all the time as the cold dry air of the season just bites my skin to no end. I guess they call that cold intolerance.

11 minutes ago, Callie said:

Have been in a wave with it all winter long. Feel frozen all the time as the cold dry air of the season just bites my skin to no end. I guess they call that cold intolerance.

Alright but so you feel better now? When it's a bit warmer.

Fluoxetine 2017 sept- 2019 January CT

Not much better yet but, yes, hope to be so when the temps warm up.

Thanks,

Callie

• 2 months later...

Hi Callie.  I was reading your thread and I saw you have had lots of pain and weakness in traps and cranial nerve issues.  Has any of this gotten better for you?  I am suffering with the same thing and many others.  I hope you are doing well. 

1994-2009 benzos from age 20 to 36.  Added Cymbalta 60mg in 2007.

2008-2009 tapered benzos to zero and quit Cymbalta Cold turkey.  WD HELL for two years

2011 started on Lexapro to combat the withdrawal and it worked.  

2015 switched to Prozac as Lexapro was not working as well

2017 quit Prozac cold turkey November and crashed into WD.  Reinstated Prozac In December with no benefit. 

2018 Switched back to Lexapro in January and it took most of the issues away in around 2-3 weeks

2019 In February Lexapro has pooped out and WD feelings back.  Tolerance WD I'm sure.

March 12th Upped my dose to 30 mgs per doctor's advice to see if Tolerance WD goes away but have had worsening sleep issues with limbs jerking and less sleep.

March 17th dropped back down to 20 mgs and had less limb jerking last night but sleep no better.  

April 20th cut to 18mg.            

Hi, RandyJames:

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this symptom. My traps don't bother me so much anymore but my cranial nerves have really acted up recently. I'm considering massage therapy or a back or neck massager of some type. I've read that nerves get trapped or squeezed in those areas causing referred pain, but who really knows. I know if I give it time, those nerves will settle down on their own. Most likely they will for you as well.

Hang in there and hold on to hope,

Callie

• 5 months later...

Hey how are you :) I seen your post about ibs like symptoms, constipation & was wondering if this has cleared up for you? Was it sibo?

im going through the same 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

Hello, peaceandlove:

I'm doing okay. I still have a lot of bodily nerve sensations and just waiting for them to go away. I am presently going to a functional medical group for digestive issues--dyspepsia and upper right abdominal pain. Dyspepsia and constipation are now history, but I still occasionally have the upper ab pain. They are detoxing me with several different herbal concoctions. When I read the ingredients on the bottles of these supplements, it seems all that's missing is eye of newt!!! I just hope there are no long-term side effects from them.

So no, it's not SIBO. They just told me my liver needs cleansing from the years of prescription ADs. I still think it's my gall bladder, but the GI doc I saw before this functional med group said "no." He told me they rarely take out gall bladders anymore and don't even bother trying to diagnosis those issues. Medical care is definitely not the animal it used to be.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you're having digestive issues. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hang in there,

Callie

9 minutes ago, Callie said:

Hello, peaceandlove:

I'm doing okay. I still have a lot of bodily nerve sensations and just waiting for them to go away. I am presently going to a functional medical group for digestive issues--dyspepsia and upper right abdominal pain. Dyspepsia and constipation are now history, but I still occasionally have the upper ab pain. They are detoxing me with several different herbal concoctions. When I read the ingredients on the bottles of these supplements, it seems all that's missing is eye of newt!!! I just hope there are no long-term side effects from them.

So no, it's not SIBO. They just told me my liver needs cleansing from the years of prescription ADs. I still think it's my gall bladder, but the GI doc I saw before this functional med group said "no." He told me they rarely take out gall bladders anymore and don't even bother trying to diagnosis those issues. Medical care is definitely not the animal it used to be.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear you're having digestive issues. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hang in there,

Callie

So the constipation and indigestion just went away with time ?? Do you remember how long it lasted before it went away ?

im glad you’re getting help from doctors to try & clear up the remaining issues & hhm interesting about your GI doctor. 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

peaceandlove:

Constipation started when I first was tapered too rapidly off multiple ADs (April 2017). No indigestion then. That lasted about 8 months or so, and I was fine until 2 years ago. That's when pain began in my upper abdomen and stools got rather loose. So a year ago, I started thinking this second digestive episode had nothing to do with AD WD. I tried that GI doc and got nowhere. Then I tried an allergist to see if I had food allergies. No allergies to any foods. She told me to go to a functional doctor, so I did.

I really don't know if these are AD WD symptoms or not. The functional medicine group NP just said I need to eliminate all the toxins from my system. I know I was ingesting a ton of polymers (plastic nanoparticles) in the Venlafaxine XR I was taking. Maybe some/all were absorbed into my tissues. Anyway, I hope she's right. If not, I'll have to try traditional medicine again--of course--with a different GI doc. I do not trust doctors anymore, so that makes this rather difficult.

Thanks!

Callie

Hi Callie, so glad to see you are recovering? May I ask since when were you functional? I am three months in a fast taper and still not functional, even cannot watch TV for a long time, very upset.

2021/2 - 2021/5: Xanax 1mg, zopiclone 3.75mg; 2021/5 - 2021/8: Xanax 1mg, zopiclone 3.75mg, venlafaxine 225mg; 2021/8 - 2021/11: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, rexulti 2mg, mirtazapine 30mg, zopiclone 3.75mg; 2021/11 - 2021/12: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, rexulti 2mg

Crashed, mirtazapine WD(didn't know at that time)

2022/1 - 2022/3: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, bupropion 300mg; 2022/4 - 2022/5:Clonazapem 1mg, venlafaxine 187.5mg, trazodone 100mg

2022/5 - 2022/8/15: Clonazepam 0.5mg(wean off), trazodone 100mg, lexapro 20mg(cross taper), rexulti 3mg

Crashed, suspect to be benzo WD

2022/8/16 - 2022/9/7: Clonazepam  0.5mg, venlafaxine 150mg(side effect this time), rexulti 3mg, trazodone 100mg, seroquel 25mg; 2022/9/8 - 2022/10/1: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 20mg(cross taper), rexulti 3mg, trazodone 50mg, seroquel 25mg; 2022/10/2 - 2022/11/8: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 10mg, trazodone 25mg

Crashed since 10/9

2022/11/9 - 2022/11/15: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg; 2022/11/16 - 2022/12/2: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 5mg; 2022/12/3 - 2022/12/21: Clonazapem 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 2.5mg

Fly back to China from Canada, 13hrs jet lag triggered severe wave til today.

2022/12/22 - 2023/3/21: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 5mg

2023/3/21 - now: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 10mg, dayvigo 5mg

Hi, angela9985:

May I ask the reason for your fast taper? It’s better to go   s    l    o    w  with it. Likewise, please keep in mind that everyone’s situation is different. It’s futile and possibly even upsetting for any of us to compare our healing and recovery paths to anyone else’s. We can and should look to each other for tapering and coping skills and for the emotional support offered so not to feel so alone in this.

I was non-functional, too, way back when. I can’t recall exactly how long it lasted it was so long ago. And wow! Amazing for you that you are able to watch TV for even a little bit. I remember not being able to do that at all, so that’s genuine progress!!!

Savor that!!!

I’ll be thinking of you today.

Callie

• 1 month later...

Thank you Callie. Sorry I missed your message. I just found out that you replied me today. I cold turkeyed rexulti 3mg(equivalent to abilify 15mg) after a year use, the same time reduced trintellix from 20 to 5. All done under the guidance of my ignorant PCP. I am actually doing much worse than the last time I was here. I am in month 4 and I lost my sleep since month 3, after a 13hour time zone change. I wake up at 3 or 4 and not able to go back to sleep again. Sleep deprivation is killing me. I prayed to God every day that I could sleep. I would rather trade anything for a sleep, which I had soundly in my month 2. Could I ask when did you see the turning point? When did your insomnia go away? Thank you so much! May you live long and prosper.

2021/2 - 2021/5: Xanax 1mg, zopiclone 3.75mg; 2021/5 - 2021/8: Xanax 1mg, zopiclone 3.75mg, venlafaxine 225mg; 2021/8 - 2021/11: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, rexulti 2mg, mirtazapine 30mg, zopiclone 3.75mg; 2021/11 - 2021/12: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, rexulti 2mg

2022/1 - 2022/3: Clonazapem 2mg, venlafaxine 225mg, bupropion 300mg; 2022/4 - 2022/5:Clonazapem 1mg, venlafaxine 187.5mg, trazodone 100mg

2022/5 - 2022/8/15: Clonazepam 0.5mg(wean off), trazodone 100mg, lexapro 20mg(cross taper), rexulti 3mg

2022/8/16 - 2022/9/7: Clonazepam  0.5mg, venlafaxine 150mg(side effect this time), rexulti 3mg, trazodone 100mg, seroquel 25mg; 2022/9/8 - 2022/10/1: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 20mg(cross taper), rexulti 3mg, trazodone 50mg, seroquel 25mg; 2022/10/2 - 2022/11/8: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 10mg, trazodone 25mg

Crashed since 10/9

2022/11/9 - 2022/11/15: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg; 2022/11/16 - 2022/12/2: Clonazepam 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 5mg; 2022/12/3 - 2022/12/21: Clonazapem 1mg, trintellix 5mg, dayvigo 2.5mg

On 12/9/2022 at 2:13 PM, Callie said:

peaceandlove:

Constipation started when I first was tapered too rapidly off multiple ADs (April 2017). No indigestion then. That lasted about 8 months or so, and I was fine until 2 years ago. That's when pain began in my upper abdomen and stools got rather loose. So a year ago, I started thinking this second digestive episode had nothing to do with AD WD. I tried that GI doc and got nowhere. Then I tried an allergist to see if I had food allergies. No allergies to any foods. She told me to go to a functional doctor, so I did.

I really don't know if these are AD WD symptoms or not. The functional medicine group NP just said I need to eliminate all the toxins from my system. I know I was ingesting a ton of polymers (plastic nanoparticles) in the Venlafaxine XR I was taking. Maybe some/all were absorbed into my tissues. Anyway, I hope she's right. If not, I'll have to try traditional medicine again--of course--with a different GI doc. I do not trust doctors anymore, so that makes this rather difficult.

Thanks!

Callie

Have you looked into autonomic dysfunction/dysautonomia as a possible cause of your symptoms? 

I recall exchanging messages with you last year about my sensory hypersensitivity.   They are a lot better now after I standardized on the fabrics that was going to touch my skin. 

I am on a dysautonomia group, and it appears that there are a lot of symptoms that we experience post withdrawal that people with  autonomic dysfunction experience as well.

This was a great article - 

https://franklincardiovascular.com/do-i-have-pots/#:~:text=Many physicians do what is,increase over 30 beats per

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there is a cure..  it's just needs to be managed. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

On 2/11/2023 at 3:12 AM, angela9985 said:

Thank you Callie. Sorry I missed your message. I just found out that you replied me today. I cold turkeyed rexulti 3mg(equivalent to abilify 15mg) after a year use, the same time reduced trintellix from 20 to 5. All done under the guidance of my ignorant PCP. I am actually doing much worse than the last time I was here. I am in month 4 and I lost my sleep since month 3, after a 13hour time zone change. I wake up at 3 or 4 and not able to go back to sleep again. Sleep deprivation is killing me. I prayed to God every day that I could sleep. I would rather trade anything for a sleep, which I had soundly in my month 2. Could I ask when did you see the turning point? When did your insomnia go away? Thank you so much! May you live long and prosper.

Hello, angela9985:

Lots of time-consuming things going on here at home, so I apologize for my delay in responding.

My insomnia still comes and goes or waves and windows with it. I only get about 4 hours of broken sleep each night now, if I’m lucky. I know this, too, shall pass eventually as it always does; so I just keep looking forward to when I’ll go back to getting a good night’s sleep once again. I really look forward to the time when insomnia says farewell for good.

It sounds like you have jet lag, and that might be intensifying your insomnia. I don’t know for certain, but it could be a possibility. Have you considered that?

If I find a coping mechanism that works for sleep, I will certainly let you know. In the meantime, I just keep on praying for everyone here.

Callie

On 2/11/2023 at 11:05 AM, tsranga said:

Have you looked into autonomic dysfunction/dysautonomia as a possible cause of your symptoms? 

I recall exchanging messages with you last year about my sensory hypersensitivity.   They are a lot better now after I standardized on the fabrics that was going to touch my skin. 

I am on a dysautonomia group, and it appears that there are a lot of symptoms that we experience post withdrawal that people with  autonomic dysfunction experience as well.

This was a great article - 

https://franklincardiovascular.com/do-i-have-pots/#:~:text=Many physicians do what is,increase over 30 beats per

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that there is a cure..  it's just needs to be managed. 

Hello, tsranga:

I’m finally getting around to seeing your post. Lots of time-consuming things going on here at home, so I apologize for my delay in getting back.

Yes, quite a while ago I did look into dysautonomia. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention as it’s time for me to reinvestigate it.

I briefly checked out the hyperlink you posted. It’s lengthy, so I will have to take time when I can to read it in its entirety.

Thanks so much for thinking of me with this article. I’ll touch base again once I read it all and consider its relation to all or some of my symptoms.

Stay strong!

Callie

Thank you so much Callie. You are so brave and strong. I slept the same amount but never feel refreshed or restful. It's so debilitating. But you are keeping a normal functional life. You are so strong.

I do think my insomnia is triggered by the jet lag(13 hrs) and my overall condition worsens afterwards. But what can I say? just another mistake along with a million mistakes I have make during this ordeal. I really should learn from you and be strong.

Thank you,

Angela

Crashed since 10/9

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, tsranga:

I read the article on POTS, and my dizziness triggers are not like those described. Thank goodness, too, my dizziness episodes have been gradually fading away. However, I do have several symptoms associated with dysautonomia. This makes me wonder though. Do I have that condition, or is it more like a pseudo dysautonomia? I find that my symptoms are common to many disorders.

You mentioned in your post that you found skin-friendly fabrics. May I ask what they are? Also, do you have to wear your clothes inside out to avoid irritation from those nasty seams?

Thanks,

Callie

27 minutes ago, Callie said:

Hello, tsranga:

I read the article on POTS, and my dizziness triggers are not like those described. Thank goodness, too, my dizziness episodes have been gradually fading away. However, I do have several symptoms associated with dysautonomia. This makes me wonder though. Do I have that condition, or is it more like a pseudo dysautonomia? I find that my symptoms are common to many disorders.

You mentioned in your post that you found skin-friendly fabrics. May I ask what they are? Also, do you have to wear your clothes inside out to avoid irritation from those nasty seams?

Thanks,

Callie

It is most likely pseudo dysautonomia. I have been tracking my BP and HR, and I gave rarely had it go to extreme levels, but I am quite symptomatic when it flares up. I suspect that it has something to do with neurologically mediated  blood circulation/vasodilation/vasoconstriction. 

The body takes a while to adapt to postural and temperature changes. Whenever that gets stuck/delayed is when I experience most of the skin sensitivity issues. Just staying with the discomfort until the body adapts has been helpful. This used to take hours, but now takes 10-20 min.

I mainly use 100% smooth cotton fabric as my inner layer, and bamboo viscose for bedding. 

Chronic IBS since 1990