SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ Callie: venlafaxine XR or Effexor XR - hoping to be well someday

Callie

I lost another pound. I am shriveling up even though I am eating, have been all along. Went for B12, D3, and thyroid tests. Thyroid is okay. Vitamin levels are okay, too. I questioned the doctor to see if it's possible that my body is not absorbing nutrients. He told me that my symptoms don't suggest that and said I should see a neurologist. I can't get a neurologist to see me. They refer me back to psychiatrists. No way am I going to one of those! I was thinking perhaps a gastroenterologist might be helpful, if one will see me.

Has anybody else had weight loss and muscle wasting issues? Is this just normal with wd? How do I reverse it? I am beginning to think that I am dying a slow, painful death here. Painful indeed!

Help!

Callie

Lexapro: 2004-2010; Effexor XR 225 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017

Abilify 5 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017; Buspirone 60 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Trazadone 100 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Xanax: as needed; Fast taper

weight loss is normal in withdrawal, I lost loads and muscle also but now starting to put it back on

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

2014 returned to UK, mainly to get treatment getting off meds

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

dj2010,

So appreciate your response. How long were you losing weight? It's three months now for me, although I've been off the poisons for almost 10 months. I fear that I have no serotonin receptors in my brain or gut. Maybe that's the reason? I am also in constant physical pain--parethesia and painful, weird, indescribable head and body sensations. Could this be causing stress? Do you know the body function mechanics behind weight and muscle loss in wd?

Thanks,

Callie

Abilify 5 mg.: May 2010 - April 2017; Buspirone 60 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Trazadone 100 mg.: 2004 - April 2017; Xanax: as needed; Fast taper

1 hour ago, Callie said:

dj2010,

So appreciate your response. How long were you losing weight? It's three months now for me, although I've been off the poisons for almost 10 months. I fear that I have no serotonin receptors in my brain or gut. Maybe that's the reason? I am also in constant physical pain--parethesia and painful, weird, indescribable head and body sensations. Could this be causing stress? Do you know the body function mechanics behind weight and muscle loss in wd?

Thanks,

Callie

Hi Callie, I started losing weight at around 3 months off the meds and started putting weight back on a couple months ago so was losing weight for around 4 months, obviously everyones timeline is different, at my lowest I was 67kg, I am now at 76kg and aim to get to around 84kg,  dont worry you have serotonin receptors and they will start working properly the more you heal, weight loss is very common with anxiety, once your brain starts levelling out you will put weight back on, everyone in withdrawal gets body and head sensations, the more you panic the more anxiety it will cause and the more weight you will lose, sorry I do not know the functions behind it except that withdrawal causes a lot of stress on the body, try having epsom salt baths every night, these calm the whole body, they have been a game changer for me, try not to worry and stay calm,

take care

2001 - 2005 prozac,  2001 - 2017 various benzos, mainly diazapem and zanex,  2002 - 2017 olanzapine or seroquel,  2002 -2017 propanolol, 2005 - 2009 venlafaxine 75mg , forced to go cold turkey off venlafaxine as moved Thailand, doctor cut me off and couldn't get it there, severely ill for over 2 years, countered withdrawals with more zanex and seroquel

doctor advised to taper seroquel over a few weeks, severely ill and bed bed-bound so reinstated it, 2015 tapered seroquel myself slower over a few months, was off it 2 months and was too ill so went on olanzapine, became zombie and too tired to get out of bed, went back on seroquel, very depressed so went back on venlafaxine, didnt work  so doctor swapped to zoloft became very agitated so back on venlafaxine

June 2016 - felt strong enough to begin tapering again, started what I thought was a slow taper of all meds,  2016 July Not had any alcoholic drink since this date, 

2016 October completely off diazepem, 2017 Feb completely off seroquel, 2017 March completely off proponanlol, 2017 April (day before birthday) completely off venlafaxine, OFF ALL MEDS 11/4/2017, was fine for nearly 3 months and then delayed withdrawal hit,

supplements taking: turmeric capsules, NiaCel (nicotinamide riboside), Vit B12 sublingual, Vit B3, Vit B6, Vit B1, apple cider vinegar, manuka umf 10 honey, camu camu powder,  melatonin when needed, epsom salt baths, juices, smoothies, 

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15175-dj2010-off-all-meds-for-3-months-and-been-fine-now-bad-insomnia/

Thanks, dj2010! I feel reassured now.

Callie

4 hours ago, dj2010 said:

...everyone in withdrawal gets body and head sensations

DJ,

Would you mind describing your head sensations?  Do you still have them now?

I have a lot of strange sensations especially in my forehead area.  There is a lot of pressure, numbness, and the sensation that there is a little animal scurrying around.  It’s quite unnerving.  Thanks so much for your input!

T

Mid 2014 - June 2016 (~ 2.5 yrs): sertraline 75mg. Under advice of my Pysch NP, weaned off in 1 month

Sept 2017 - Feb 2017 (6 months): Latuda (dose 20mg up to 80mg). Under advice of Psych NP, weaned off in 6 weeks (Jan - mid Feb). Tirtated down 20mg every 2 weeks.

Nov 2017 - Feb 2017 (3 months): lamictal 100mg. Abruptly taken off. This was the "wean": 100mg, 50mg, then off

Feb 2017: sertraline 150mg for 1 week to bring me out of a severe suicidal depression. Abruptly stopped due to serotonin syndrome. Tried to reinstate 50mg a week later, but the serotonin syndrome symptoms came back. Not possible to reinstate sertraline.

March 2017: remeron 7.5mg. Took one dose that knocked me out for two days. Refused to take it again

February 2017 - March 2017: Ativan 1mg. Took 5 pills total spread out over the course of 3 weeks. No longer taking it.

6/16/18 - 6/26: celexa 1.25mg

6/27/18 - 6/29: celexa 2.5mg, 6/29 had burning and agitation within 30min of dose

6/30/18 - present: celexa 1.25mg

9 hours ago, TryingToHoldOn said:

DJ,

Would you mind describing your head sensations?  Do you still have them now?

I have a lot of strange sensations especially in my forehead area.  There is a lot of pressure, numbness, and the sensation that there is a little animal scurrying around.  It’s quite unnerving.  Thanks so much for your input!

T

I mainly got a lot of pressure at the front and sides, sometimes felt like my head was ready to explode, I was always worried it might cause a stroke, it used to last all day, also strange pains and numbness etc in different parts of the head, I still get the head pressure when I have had a really bad night sleep but no where near as bad as it used to be, 

take care

Hello, T and dj:

I'd like to say what my sensations feel like. It feels as if I have pressure in the center of my brain that expands outward into my entire head. It also feels at times as if my head will explode. Sometimes there's a sensation that something in my head is pulling the center of my torso upwards. Very weird and scary. Lastly, I have a sensation in the back right side of my head that feels like a skull fracture. This was mild and happened occasionally, but lately it seems to be getting worse. First time last night that it woke me up. Very painful.

So sorry about your symptoms as well, T and dj. I wish I could help you, but I can't even help myself. I do pray a lot; I pray for everyone going through this torture.

Callie

All the symptoms you describe, I mean all of them, I had for 7 months after stopping Paxil, after about 13 years using Paxil.

I decided to try Lexapro after those 7 months because I thought I was going to die if I did nothing, and everybody in my family was telling me that I was going to die and they didn't support my decision of being off Paxil. I don't know if I was going to die ( but today I believe I would not die, but it would take me years to start getting better), but because they insisted so much and all the doctors I went told me that I needed SSRI to end the crises, I decided to try Lexapro.

It didn't help for 9 weeks. I went from 5mg to 10mg to 15mg to 20 mg and was getting no help. Not getting worse because I could not be worse than I was already.

Besides everything you describe, I didnt sleep for 7 months. Sometimes I would sleep for 1 hour and that was it. Anyways, after the 9 weeks I decided that lexapro was not going to help and that I was not going to take it anymore.

My doctor agreed that I should stop it and try another medicine. I didnt know if I was going to try another medicine, but I told him that I would. He told me to take 10 mg for one week and just stop. I was terrified and decided to take 15mg for a week, and go to 10 mg for a week and so on. I told him that I would do that and He said ok. For my surprise, when I went down to 15mg, that very same day, I slept at night. I slept for 6 hours and woke up feeling much better. I called my doctor and said that I would be on 15 mg for that week and if i started feeling better and better i would take it for one year to get as stable as I could and then start to slowly stop the medication. He said that I could do that. He knew how much I hated drugs and how much I cried when I gave in and started taking Lexapro.

I got better and better and started putting back weight and the pain starded getting better, and the hot flashes, and the pressure over my head, and the anxiety and the depresssion, and the cold.... I believe that after about 6 months I was as stable as I could be. I gained back all the weight, and some more because of the medicine(I hate this), I still dont sleep more than 4 hours in a roll (but I can get back to sleep when I wake up), I still cant nap during the day (it causes me anxiety and I just dont try it anymore because I want to avoid any kind of anxiety), I still have hot flashes (but it's not even everyday, and I was having them like 4 or 5 per hour sometimes), I dont have depression anymore, I'm back working and traveling and living my life to the full.

I started Lexapro on Dec 2015, and about one year after that (Oct 2016) I started to slowlly getting down with my dose. I was already a member here and bought a nice balance (scale) to help me with that. Today I'm taking 9.92 mg and never felt anything different than the symptoms I already told you, only some anxienty and some headache after about 4 to 5 days of a cut. My cuts are minimum, but that is what I'm ready to take.

I'm telling you my story not because I believe you have to do the same. I dont even know if I would try lexapro after everything I know now. Maybe I would try to reinstate a tiny dose of the same Paxil I was taking. The same brand, the same pill, just a tiny bit dose. I would do the math and see how much it would be the dose I should reinstate if I had done a 10% every 8 weeks reduction and reinstate that dose.

I would wait at least 3 months before quitting on the reinstatment if it didnt work promptly. I'm sure you are going to be ok no matter what you chose doing. I know how you feel and your story hit me in a way that I had to reach back to you. I'm paying for you.      

Edited by scallywag
insert paragraph breaks for readability
  • 3 weeks later...

I am so miserable and feel that I'll never heal. My arms sting and burn so badly that nothing can touch them. The air even hurts them. I feel so cold at times but can't wear long sleeves. I can't make myself comfortable. What's more is that my entire body--from head to toe, inside and out--keeps experiencing a very strange indescribable neurological sensation. The best description is that it makes me feel really weak and like I'm being electrocuted. At times it gets extremely intense then a non-menopausal really hot flash washes over me. I just want to jump out of my skin. I have many other symptoms as well.

I haven't had a window yet, and my symptoms worsen every day it seems. Deep breathing, yoga, exercising, meditating--nothing helps.  My GP can't find anything wrong. I talked to a naturopathic doctor on the phone. She didn't give me a diagnosis but wants to put me on hundreds of dollars worth of supplements. That's hundreds of dollars every month. I can't afford it and who knows if they'd even work.

I can barely function. I have no positive emotions whatsoever. My quality of life is gone. I know it's early on--10 months--but shouldn't I have had a window by now? And the worsening. I don't know what to do anymore. Is this really just withdrawal?

Callie

Hi Callie,

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. It's scary to feel out of control of your body and feeling like you've been abandoned by the people who set you up for this! I finally realized that some of my windows were only a few minutes long. So far, I haven't had a window with no symptoms, but many or most of the symptoms will lift for a bit. I see that some of your posts mention those kinds of windows. Hang on to those! Maybe you could keep a tally of them on a calendar. Three months ago, I couldn't remember any windows. Now, I keep track and can look back at them. It gives me encouragement when the symptoms are too strong for my brain to remember on it's own.

24 minutes ago, Callie said:

10 months--but shouldn't I have had a window by now?

I'm praying that you will notice a little window soon.

Dalalea's Introduction

Off All SSRI Medications: Effexor 2010 one month
Sertraline 50 mg. but only took 25 mg. daily because of dizziness. 2010 to July 2017

Tapered over 2 months beginning the 1st of June 2017 -- Off Sertraline by July 30, 2017

Current Medication: Losartan (blood pressure), Albuterol (for asthma- only as needed)
Current Symptoms: tinnitus, hearing loss in one ear, allergies

My Plan: Prayer, Scripture, Walk, Yoga, Encourage Others, Healthy Eating
Generic SSRI Withdrawal Symptom and Plan Checklists and Graph.xlsx

Current Supplements: Magnesium Threonate, Fish Oil, probiotic, B-12, C, D-3

Current Essential Oils: Frankincense, Bergamot, Orange, Lemon, Lavender, Peppermint, Clove
Current Essential Oil Blends: Brain Power, Clarity, Stress Away

I think I have had three seizure episodes but not entirely sure. My entire body shakes uncontrollably, but I remain conscious. They last about five minutes or so and only when I'm in bed laying down. They begin with mild nervous jittering over my entire body and then become full blown. Are these seizure or something else?

Hi, JanCarol:

I just came across your post. I'm hoping to try this out. I have a hell of a time getting out of bed and starting my day. Once I'm up, I either stand leaning up against the wall or sit down. All I do then is stare and feel totally immobile. I guess in part it's because I am in such terrific physical pain. Moving hurts terribly. Was it pain or something else that impeded you from getting on with your day? I want to try to use your "What's next?" technique but don't know if it'll work for me.

Thanks,

Callie

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Callie - I had posted in DMV's thread:

I survived a lot by asking:

"What's next?"

Okay, this problem or that problem, I got out of bed - what's next?  Okay, I got out of bed and managed to make a bite to eat - what's next?  Okay, I've hung out some laundry, what's next?  Okay - I have an appointment to get to, what's next?  Okay, I survived the appointment, my hubby needs a thing, what's next?

In tiny little pieces, the day becomes manageable.

"What's next?" became a sort of survival mantra for me.  I've had a lot of pain in the past month, and it's been - magnesium bath, okay, what's next?  Physio exercises, okay, what's next?  Back to bed, what's next?  So I still use this tool!

I moved your question here, to your thread.

So - today is a big "what's next" day.

I woke up in solid back pain (I won't say severe because I know it could be worse). 

What's next?  I rolled over and went back to sleep, figuring that time spent in bed is better than time spent vertically.

What's next?  I guess I have to get up, so I went and got my foam cube for my physio and lay down on the floor next to the bed and did my physio exercises.

What's next?  Well, I guess I feel well enough to do a little tai chi, so I'll put on some tea for when I'm done.

What's next?  I did the Tai Chi, just 15 minutes worth.  I didn't feel well enough to learn anything new, so just went over what I'd already learned.

What's next?  Well, I have this new HeartMath biofeedback monitor, and I usually meditate after Tai Chi, but I can't sit on the floor, not even on a meditation cushion.  So I go get a chair because the bedroom is air conditioned (and it's stinking hot in the rest of the house).

What's next?  I plugged into the monitor and had a beautiful 15 minute meditation session, sitting on my meditation cushion on a low camp chair.  As soon as I took my awareness into my body, the lights went green and I went deep, into better coherence than I've ever experienced before.

What's next?  Well, my cup of tea was ready...(yes, that's 30 minutes steeping - I like it strong!)

and so on.

I developed this technique for dealing with deep depression.  One step at a time I could crawl out on a "depressed" day and actually get a little bit done.  Then - it was fatigue.  I don't think about the mountains of things which need to be done (and there are mountains of them, you should see my desk, and my desk doesn't even count the invisible things, like webpage work, correspondance on email, etc.), and OMG you should see my house!  I just think about what's next.

It is counterproductive to think about all the things you are not getting done.  It doesn't help to think about yesterday, or even how much distress you are in.   Just focus on what's next.

What's next now?  I will spend a little time on the computer, then I'll do physio exercises again, and then I'll go for a 10 minute walk.  This is Tuesday, and I'm supposed to stretch my walk a bit - but I don't think I'm quite up for it yet, especially not in the heat.

For fatigue and depression it works exactly the same!

I hope you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Callie - 

While I was here I just reviewed your thread - and really - really - really - 

You went off 4 drugs just 9 months ago.  Two of which - Effexor and Abilify - are absolute demons.  These and the Trazadone hit multiple receptors, so - it's no wonder your system is in an uproar.

So this is to encourage you - an "uproar" is quite normal for recovering this drugging and rapid withdrawal (Really, cold turkey, or fast taper).

All of the symptoms you report - are not nutritional deficiencies, they are normal withdrawal.  It's sad, but true.  These things you are experiencing - many others have experienced before you!  

There is a Delayed Onset of Withdrawal Symptoms - so 9 months out is perfectly normal.  (notice I'm using the word "normal" a lot?)

Try this video, it explains the way that your systems repair...

Healing from Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery (by Toxic Antidepressants)  (just 4 minutes long)

What happens is - your endocrine, digestion, muscular, and nervous systems have all been discombobulated (that's a technical term).  When you are having symptoms, it means that system is repairing.  So when you are having hot flushes, or numbness, or muscular disruption, digestive troubles - any number of body symptoms and emotional symptoms too - this is your body repairing that system.

You can say, "I am having symptoms," or you can say, "I am healing."  Which do you prefer?

Many people are helped by seeing a list of possible symptoms. Additionally, you can print out several of these to track your progress over the weeks.  When I was fully drugged, I had 29 of these symptoms, and at last check it's down to about 12.  Here is the list:  Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's Most Common symptoms of Withdrawal

Later - I thought of you as my "what's next" took over this post, and I had to abandon it.

I took my walk.  I went 20 minutes!  And a big hill!  Next, I got into a cool mag bath (remember it's stinking hot here), and soaked for 20 minutes.

While I was there, I thought - what's next? and washed my hair.

After getting out of the mag bath - omg - back feels better!  When I woke up today I thought - no way was I going to make it through the day without pain drugs - but - here I am, almost dinner time, and drug free.  I even felt well enough to make a fresh juice as a digestive before dinner!

Having a large tool kit helps with "what's next."

True confessions:  As I was in the bath, I resented it.  (I'm being honest here).  I kept thinking about things I wanted to say to you, to this friend and that friend - I wanted to be in here, in the cool office talking to you.  But that wasn't on my "what's next" plan.  So I told myself "Later," and here I am writing to you again!

That's another key to "what's next," is sometimes things have to be told, "LATER."  In telling a thing that it's "Later," then you can settle back into the present moment, and "what's next."

The other thing I want to ask - even though all of your symptoms are normal for withdrawal - is how your doc checked thyroid.  99% of docs just check TSH and then say, "You're fine," but there are a number of conditions which show up in a more detailed profile, including Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3.  TSH is measuring a pituitary hormone, and is not measuring the thyroid at all.  I'm not suggesting you have a thyroid problem - I don't think you do.  I believe you have withdrawal.

What I am suggesting is - when you get labs done - get a copy of your lab reports and start a file at home so that you can track your own bloodwork.  You can use your labs to start educating yourself about your health.  While you are in withdrawal, these numbers may be all over the place - but as you start moving into health, getting your labs and learning about them is a key piece to taking charge of your own health.  It annoys doctors,  they don't want you to be the expert about yourself - but some doctors appreciate that you are making an effort to get informed.  This practice has come in handy for me this past year, as I have started tracking cardiology reports, labs and performance.

Okay!  What's next?  Supper's on!

Edited by JanCarol

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Callie - 

I hope this is encouraging to you - 

Jan Carol's thread - symptoms of Chi

If you look at this list of symptoms - you can see that it is chi moving.  In Tai Chi, this is a good thing.

Another way to look at symptoms.

I am healing.

My Chi is moving. (even when it hurts)

JanCarol:

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I am grateful.

That's fine about moving my post. I didn't think I put it in the correct spot.

Anyway, I tried your "What's next?" technique today, and here it is 9:30 a.m. I'm showered, dressed, and have already eaten breakfast. Lately, I haven't been dressed until 1:00 p.m., so great improvement. Very helpful! I'm still in pain, but I don't feel guilty for not getting a move on. I see, too, how this can help stop the feeling of being overwhelmed, which is how I often feel.

7 hours ago, JanCarol said:

You went off 4 drugs just 9 months ago.  Two of which - Effexor and Abilify - are absolute demons.  These and the Trazadone hit multiple receptors, so - it's no wonder your system is in an uproar.

So this is to encourage you - an "uproar" is quite normal for recovering this drugging and rapid withdrawal (Really, cold turkey, or fast taper).

All of the symptoms you report - are not nutritional deficiencies, they are normal withdrawal.  It's sad, but true.  These things you are experiencing - many others have experienced before you!  

Yes, in fact the doctor CT'd me right off of Abilify and Trazadone, two week taper for Buspirone, and less than two months for Effexor. I will hold on to what you say about my system being in an "uproar." It does make sense. I have a bad habit of thinking it's wd and then switching to thinking that it's neurotoxic poisoning resulting from the drugs and that I'm dying. I'll check out all the hyperlinks you gave me and try to calm my thinking.

8 hours ago, JanCarol said:

The other thing I want to ask - even though all of your symptoms are normal for withdrawal - is how your doc checked thyroid.  99% of docs just check TSH and then say, "You're fine," but there are a number of conditions which show up in a more detailed profile, including Free T3, Free T4, Reverse T3.  TSH is measuring a pituitary hormone, and is not measuring the thyroid at all.  I'm not suggesting you have a thyroid problem - I don't think you do.  I believe you have withdrawal.

I, too, was thinking that I might have a thyroid problem so I had it checked last month. Insurance companies here in Illinois (in the States) will only allow doctors to order TSH and Free T4. If those are within normal limits, which mine were, insurance companies will not authorize further testing. I can have it done on my own and pay for it myself. I was thinking hypothyroidism, but that means weight gain whereas I have excessive weight loss. I don't know what to do about it. It's probably best to have the tests done on my own. So much for healthcare--or does such a thing even exist?

You don't know how much I appreciate your help, and I'm sorry you're going through this, too. I only wish I could send you some of the frosty air we have up north here to help you feel better.

Healing thoughts from me to you,

Callie

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Callie - 

47 minutes ago, Callie said:

I , too, was thinking that I might have a thyroid problem so I had it checked last month. Insurance companies here in Illinois (in the States) will only allow doctors to order TSH and Free T4. If those are within normal limits, which mine were, insurance companies will not authorize further testing. I can have it done on my own and pay for it myself. I was thinking hypothyroidism, but that means weight gain whereas I have excessive weight loss. I don't know what to do about it. It's probably best to have the tests done on my own. So much for healthcare--or does such a thing even exist?

Yeah, there's a condition called dysautonomia, where all your systems go haywire.  If your numbers are normal, I wouldn't worry about it - just get in the habit of getting copies of your labs for future reference, and keep a file on yourself.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/183-dysautonomia-autonomic-dysregulation

If you're losing weight, you're not likely to be hypothyroid.  These drugs affect all systems, and they are out of your body now.  Give your body at least 1-3 years to settle down from all of that uproar - then - when you have a baseline, or native state, you can investigate other health options.

Until then, it may be fruitless - so if your T4 is normal, you're likely okay.

JanCarol, Hello!

I haven't been logged on to this site in a while, so I missed your response. Thank you very much. I'll just chalk it all up to wd for now. I can't get a doctor to help me anyway. I also spend entire days trying to self-diagnose from searching the Net and have come up with dozens of different diseases. It's not possible for any single person to have that many conditions, so wd makes the most sense. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's still early on and that I will heal.

Thanks again so much for your support.

Prayers,

Callie

Figured I'd do an update. I looked back in my personal records to when I took my last med and saw that I only had about six symptoms. Here's what I'm dealing with now:

Constant Physical Symptoms:

Painful arms (Feels like acid was poured on them because they burn so badly. Then feels like rubbing alcohol was poured over because they sting so badly. Then with all that, it feels as if they are wrapped in cactus plants and then packed in ice. All these sensations are experienced constantly and simultaneously).

Arms, hands, and fingers are hypersensitive (Feels as if sense of touch is magnified a trillion fold. It’s so painful that air even hurts them.)

Upper right arm pain (Feels like a fracture, but it’s not.)

Difficulty with tasks (Doing the simplest things in life like getting dressed takes major effort.)

Loss of physical strength

Clumsy

Lack of coordination

Daily Physical Symptoms:

Horrific non-menopausal hot flashes (Queasiness usually precedes this.)

Cold intolerance (Freezing cold most of the time.)

Insomnia

Head pressure (Feels like my head is being crushed at times. At other times like it’s going to explode outwards into the air and downwards into my mouth and out the base of my skull.)

Electrical buzzing sensations (Feel this from the top of my head to my toes, and it lasts for hours.)

Sensation that all the nerve fibers in my head and body are being stretched

Intense pressure in throat

Weak feeling in lower torso and legs

Hot sensation in stomach beneath rib cage

Constipation (Improving somewhat due to probiotic usage.)

Increased hair shedding

No sensations of hunger, thirst, sleepiness, or having to go to the bathroom

Significant weight loss

Muscle wasting

Throat clearing

Full body mild pinprick sensations and itchiness (Happens with some hot flashes or always with exercise.)

Night time dry mouth

Frequent but not daily physical symptoms:

Toothache-like pain right back side of head

Head and heart pound

Body trembling/shaking (Convulsions? Seizures? Tremors? Happens only when laying down.)

Muscle cramps (Feet and rib cage area.)

Sensation of having been punched in the stomach right below rib cage

Shallow breathing

Shortness of breath

Itchy, tickling inside left ear

RLS (Restless leg syndrome)

Hear clicking in both ears

Sometimes I get so many of these symptoms at the same time that I cannot fully open my eyes, my face wrinkles with pain, and I just moan.

I am trying my best to be as descriptive as possible to get across what's really indescribable. Can anyone relate to any of the above symptoms? If so, did they ever go away?

I try hard to be optimistic and strong, but I so often fail at that. I'm sorry.

Prayers,

Callie

Wow, Callie.  You are the bravest!

Yes, I think many of us have spent a lot of time and worry over illnesses we might have.

Not a doctor, but your rapid cold turkey of such a group of powerful medications is bound to have created many diverse symptoms.

I send best wishes to you and hope you get some relief from some, then all, of your bad symptoms.

Born 1945. 

1999 - First Effexor/Venlafaxine

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Supps/Vits  Omega 3;  Chelated Magnesium;  Prebiotics/Probiotics, Vit D3. 

Oh, Peng, thanks for your good wishes. I am really a miserable mess, hardly functioning. Every little movement I make is terribly painful, so I am in bed now laying still for about 16 hours out of the day only getting about 4 hours of sleep though. I feel it won't be long till I'm bedridden. Are you familiar with any cases where that has happened? Where a person gets no relief while symptoms become progressively worse? 

I don't know what to do for myself anymore. I try hard to deal with this, but I always succumb to the pain. WD has me too tightly in its grips.

Prayers,

Callie

• Moderator Emeritus

I just wanted to add my good wishes.  As JanCarol posted, it's normal for your system to be in an "uproar."  You will get better.  As apace, one of our moderators, wrote, "The  

people who have been doing this for a long time tell us that healing will happen and we have no reason to doubt that.  The Success Stories bear that out as well and they also indicate that even those among us who are really sick and dealing with hellacious symptoms will, in the long run, see healing and recovery."

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Gridley,

Thanks for your good wishes, and I so hope you're right about eventually healing. This is becoming quite unbearable for me.

Prayers,

Callie

Callie, I cannot for the life of me imagine how bad you must feel after cold turkeying from those 4 drugs.

You were given criminal advice IMO.

Effexor in itself is a beast, and well-known for being so.

I have been on it from 2002 and it has taken me since summer of 2016 (at 225mg) to get down to 62.5mg.  The slow-taper has been difficult, but I am not as totally on the brink as you (and a couple of other posters) sound.

It is up to you, but I would consider reinstatement of say, 6 beads of the stuff, initially, to give you some easing from your hell.  No shame in surrendering or calling a truce IMO.  One can always take up the fight again once a more stable platform has been regained.

Clearly, you would be best to seek the advice of Altostrata and her cohorts before doing this, I am merely desperate to offer you something helpful based on my own experience.

Best wishes and thinking of you. 

Born 1945. 

2016 Withdrawal research. Effexor.  13Jul - 212.5mg;  6Aug - 200.0mg;  24Aug - 187.5mg;  13Sep - 175.0mg;  3Oct - 162.5mg;  26Oct - 150mg 

2017  9Jan - 150.00mg;  23Mar - 137.50mg;  24Apr - 125.00mg;  31May - 112.50mg holding;  3Sep - 100.00mg;  20Sep - 93.75mg;  20Oct - 87.5mg;  12Nov - 81.25mg;  13 Dec - 75.00mg

2018  18Jan - 69.1mg; 16Feb - 62.5mg; 16March - 57.5mg (-8%); 22Apr - 56.3mg(-2%); CRASHED - Updose 29May - 62.5mg; Updose - 1Jul - 75.0mg. Updose - 2Aug - 87.5mg. Updose - 27Aug - 100.0mg. Updose - 11Oct 112.5mg. Updose - 6Nov 125.00mg

2019 Updoses 19 Jan - 150.0mg. 1April - 162.5mg. 24 April - Feeling better - doing tasks, getting outside.  7 May - usual depression questionnaire gives "probably no depression" result.

Peng,

Yes, I know now that the psydoc did not have a clue as to what she was doing, and the GP I saw afterwards didn't know much more. I found SA too late to realize the danger I was in.

I'm so scared to reinstate because I've read that a person only has a three-week window in which to do that after going off the meds. I'm coming up on 11 months off. Something about kindling might occur or that symptoms might worsen. I also heard that not all the beads in the Effexor capsules are the same. I would also have to go back to a psydoc to get more medication. I don't trust any of them because I don't think they know what they're doing. I know I sound like I'm fighting your suggestion, but actually, Peng, what it is is that I am incredibly terrified about doing it. Even though, I should not discount it. So...

22 hours ago, peng said:

Clearly, you would be best to seek the advice of Altostrata and her cohorts

If I were to seek advice per above, how would I do that?

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Peng, for caring and taking the time to answer me. It means a lot.

Prayers,

Callie

• Moderator Emeritus

Ideally, reinstatement is done within 3 months of when withdrawal symptoms first occur.  As to 11 months out, there's just no way to know.  Here's a link with excellent information:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

OK, Callie, I had not picked up on the significance of being 11 months "adrift" from the drugs. My mistake.

I accept that Gridley and others are more informed on that aspect and its problems.

IIRC I was totally off effexor for a number of weeks at most in 2006, before I foundered and reinstated.

Gridley's link (which I do not have time to read at this late hour) will no doubt help with some guidance.

I expect you may have to decide yourself about reinstating.  From what I have seen on the forum, a call for help and advice on your own thread or a pm to one of the mods will get a response.

Good luck and best wishes - I will get up to speed on this subject myself.

Born 1945. 

Hi Callie

I wanted to say that I also have muscle wasting in my thighs, and it is very noticeable as my legs are looking very thin.   I also lost about 28lbs last year, and although I have put some back on around my middle, my arms and legs are still very thin.  Are you doing any exercise to help with this?  All the best

Nada

On Paxil 10mg  2008-2015

Withdrew Paxil Sept 2015 - Dec 2016

Reinstated 1mg Paxil end Jan. 2017

Updosed  to 2.5mg Paxil June 2017

Reinstatement not working

Benadryl 25mg some nights 

To Peng and Gridley,

I decided not to try reinstating at this point. That leaves me no choice but to keep trudging along like everyone else, yet it's so hard to bear the unbearable. Maybe sometime in the future I'll get a window at least.

You are both wonderful. Thank you for being there and helping me.

Prayers,

Callie

• Moderator Emeritus

I hope you get a window very soon.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 90% complete.  

Hello, Nada678,

I have lost 55 pounds in less than a year, most of it though within the last three months. I'm 5'3" and weigh 105 pounds now. My glutes are gone, and my ribs show. My thighs, too, are very thin. I fear that soon I will be a skeleton with a few wisps of hair because I am gradually losing that, too.

Lately, I have not had the strength to exercise, not for the last couple of weeks or so. Previously, I had been doing senior/gentle exercises daily that I found on Youtube. And mindfulness yoga, too, on Youtube. There were also muscle building exercises I found, too, like squats and lifting light weights. Don't know what's happened to me though that almost overnight I've rapidly gone downhill.

How about you? I'd like to know.

Prayers,

Callie

Help, please!

I've been reading about fibromyalgia symptoms and somatoform symptoms and find that many of mine match both of those conditions almost exactly. Yet all my symptoms began during my rapid taper and have increased in number and intensity since I took the last venlafaxine capsule 11 months ago. Oddly enough, AD WD symptoms are the same as fibromyalgia and somatoform. No diagnostic tests exist for any of the three either. Can anyone please explain to me the differences among the three conditions? This is really important. I need to be well informed before I venture out to see another doctor. I have already been diagnosed once with somatoform disorder.

Thanks and prayers,

Callie

• Moderator Emeritus

fibromyalgia-flare-up-and-withdrawals

And when searching SA for somatoform I found this which I thought was "interesting":

On 29/05/2012 at 12:35 PM, Barbarannamated said:

Just asked husband (an MD) why psychometric testing is used in pain treatment.

HIM: because if there's a personality disorder or personality traits, the person wont respond to treatment. If someone tests positive on MMPI for somatoform or conversion disorder, they won't respond to opiates.

ME: so how are they treated?

HIM: there is no drug treatment for personality disorders

ME: how do you treat the pain?

HIM: CBT may help

ME: do you think my MMPI showed a personality disorder?

HIM: I dont know. What did your treating psychologist say?

ME: he would never tell me the results, remember??

HIM: oh Dr. F*** never includes test results with his evals.

ME: so a persons chronic pain treatment is based on a 1 day psych test??

HIM: the MMPI has been shown to be very reliable. A V- conversion is hard to argue. Their pain comes from the psych disorder.

ME: and you trust psychiatry after everything I've been through and all you know now??

I had to leave room. My pulse is still racing. I've never been hit physically, but this feels like torture of some sort.

On 30/05/2012 at 1:18 AM, Barbarannamated said:

Last question I asked, admittedly with a bit of attitude:

"There IS a complete medical/neuroendocrine workup done prior to diagnosing a personality/somatoform/conversion disorder that determines patient will forever be unresponsive to pharmacologic pain treatment, RIGHT?"

HIM: "No"

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

From What is Happening in Your Brain

"Basically- you have a building where the MAJOR steel structures are [...] to be rebuilt at different times - ALL while people are coming and going in the building and attempting to work.

It would be like if the World Trade Center Towers hadn't completely fallen - but had crumbled inside in different places.. Imagine if you were [...] to rebuild the tower - WHILE people were coming and going and [...] to work in the building!  You'd have to set up a temporary elevator - but when you needed to fix part of that area, you'd have to tear down that elevator and set up a temporary elevator somewhere else. And so on. You'd have to build, work around, then tear down, then build again, then work around, then build... ALL while people are coming and going, ALL while the furniture is being replaced, ALL while the walls are getting repainted... ALL while [...] is going on INSIDE the building. No doubt it would be chaotic. That is EXACTLY what is happening with windows and waves.  The windows are where the body has "got it right" for a day or so - but then the building shifts and the brain works on something else - and it's chaos again while another temporary pathway is set up to reroute function until repairs are made. 
And just like the Twin Towers- it's possible - but the building is a major effort -and it takes a good year or more sometimes."

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

ChessieCat, Hello!

Thanks for your response.

I had searched for the fibromyalgia in topics but couldn't find it, so thank you for sending it. It'll take some time to read through it. But from what little I did read, I think I'll skip going to the doctor for now. The somatoform post you quoted above helps with that decision, too. Unbelievable! I just cannot go to another doctor and be trivialized again.

I read "What's happening in your brain" many times. Time to read it again. I just have so much wrong with me since I've been off the meds that sometimes I wonder if having taken them caused not only WD but other conditions as well. I never had any of these symptoms until the rapid taper and cessation of meds.

Now, yesterday I noticed that an area on my upper front gums is really mushy. I take excellent care of my teeth and gums. This leads me to think I have a vitamin C deficiency. It can also be the cause of my sudden excessive hair shedding, severe weight loss, and upper right arm pain. Today I took 125 mg of vitamin C supplement. We'll see what happens.

I have always had an intense need for certainty, so not fully knowing or completely understanding what's happening to my body is driving me to find answers that probably no one has. Perhaps some symptoms can be managed if I could figure it out, like what's up with my gums now.

Anyway, thank you again.

Callie