SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

Neuroplastic

In my experience, some of the psychotropics effects appetite and metabolism so profoundly that dieting is like holding back Niagara Falls with a teaspoon. I was put on Zyprexa for depression (plain, not psychotic). I couldn't eat fast enough to calm the hunger. It was frightening and I stopped the drug in a few days. There's no way my food budget could keep up with that level of hunger. This is why the incidence of obesity and diabetes is so high with that drug (and lawsuits).

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

In my experience, some of the psychotropics effects appetite and metabolism so profoundly that dieting is like holding back Niagara Falls with a teaspoon. I was put on Zyprexa for depression (plain, not psychotic). I couldn't eat fast enough to calm the hunger. It was frightening and I stopped the drug in a few days. There's no way my food budget could keep up with that level of hunger. This is why the incidence of obesity and diabetes is so high with that drug (and lawsuits).

Barb, this happens to me when I'm eating carbs, which is why I need to stay away from them. I start with a jar of peanut butter, stick the spoon in for a taste, and 30 mins later, I'm looking at a partially empty jar. I got so I was a human vacuum cleaner.. now I binge on salad.. huge bowls of lettuce, spinach, spring lettuce, arugala.. 6 quart bowls (well, the bowl is half full.. need room to toss, but still, it's a lot of salad) topped with 0 cal dressing. At least I do slow down after I'm full, but this does not happen with carbs, and it's all out war.

Thanks for responding.. I feel that because I've taken off 60 lbs people don't believe what you describe happened/s.. but it sure does. And it's absolutely miserable.~S

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I certainly don't mean to minimize the importance of diet. The insatiable hunger with Zyprexa is indescribable. I don't know the mechanism, but recall the feeling well. All of my thought and energy was directed at finding food. I've been on many drugs and none had that kind of power.

Now I'm curious as to what causes it.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I certainly don't mean to minimize the importance of diet. The insatiable hunger with Zyprexa is indescribable. I don't know the mechanism, but recall the feeling well. All of my thought and energy was directed at finding food. I've been on many drugs and none had that kind of power.

Now I'm curious as to what causes it.

And I'd like to know too. Lyrica is on the same continuum. I suspect it is the same as Zyprexa, though the appetite side effect would effect people differently. At the 250 mgs of Lyrica I'm presently stalled on, I spend my days thinking of food.. when I was eating large carb portions, I could not stop eating, and the rate of gain was getting worse as time passed.. it was 3 pounds a month gain average over 3 years.. and was the 60 lbs I have now lost was part of it (I started off at 100lbs, I had anorexia that resulted from severe stress). I'm not suggesting a diet, just staying away from carbs (I realize this is somewhat redundant). Because there is something in the sugar fix I got that was lethal.. And now, if near a regular supply, it will start over again. And my awareness that I would have shot up to 300 lbs and kept going is sobering and was what finally prompted me to put the brakes on. I still have food cravings.. that are so far manageble as long as I'm not consuming carbs in other than mindful moderation. I was addicted to carbs, plain and simple, still am truth to be told. This is the gift Lyrica made to me, and I want my normal appetite back again.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

I apologize if I came across abruptly in above message. Weight is one of my hot buttons - I lost alot and it was ignored or attributed to "depression" or suggested I had eating disorder.

I know a 36 yo woman on a cocktail of drugs for what was grief when husband died of hospital error fentanyl overdose.

She gained a few hundred pounds on cocktail including Zyprexa (olanzapine). Pdoc suggested "diet and exercise" for this near-500lb woman.

This is a chemically-induced serious adverse event (both appetite stimulant and metabolic) that the patient is being told to control with will power (ie. blame/put responsibility on patient). Having experienced the appetite stimulant effects of Zyprexa myself, I was livid!

• Moderator Emeritus

I apologize if I came across abruptly in above message. Weight is one of my hot buttons - I lost alot and it was ignored or attributed to "depression" or suggested I had eating disorder.

I know a 36 yo woman on a cocktail of drugs for what was grief when husband died of hospital error fentanyl overdose.

She gained a few hundred pounds on cocktail including Zyprexa (olanzapine). Pdoc suggested "diet and exercise" for this near-500lb woman.

Hi Barb, Diet and exercise is sadly ludicrous and your weight loss was very sad.

If I had not stepped of the appetite train, my weight would have gone over 300 lbs., no question in my mind. For whatever reason, the prospect scared me enough so a mental switch got thrown.. it just said no more. I did not decide to diet though I wanted to. I think that the fact I'd spent most of my life at around 130 lbs was a help. But at any rate, there was a stop of sorts that just came into my mind. A message that said, no more. It was not anything conscious, and I could not explain why, but found myself able to avoiding eating most carbs. The diet started at the beginning of last September, and with one brief hiatus, I've been able to hold the fast.

A few weeks back, I stepped back from the carb fast to stabilize. At 50 lbs my body was sort of tired out, and I was getting dizzy. Anyhow, I bought a couple of packs of rye crackers I love, topped them with an variety of nut butters. One serving a day I thought, 2 crackers and I'll rotate the nut butters. By week 2 the crackers and nut butter started to crowd out the non carb food, fish, salad.. then dip the knife back into the jar of peanut butter, just a taste of same straight up, and so it was beginning again off again. Posted Image For whatever reason, I was able to summon up the internal stop, and I'm back on the 'wagon', but disaster lurks.

Well.. thanks for reading. Screwy kind of 'stop sign' but I'm not knocking it.. I feel most grateful. And I sure will be glad when I can start to taper Lyrica again. Before that switch was thrown, my life was ruled by what I'd eat next, it was awful.

I do the same thing with Peanut Butter....Can't keep it in the house. Big trigger food.

I know I am a carb addict, but I do think ssri's have alot to do with it. It's ridiculous.

Schuyler....I have done the carb abstinence thingy and I have had weight melt off.

Since being on ssri' it doesn't melt off like it used to. I do take bio-identical hormones and wondered if there is weight gain from that??

Do HBP and Cholesterol lowering medicines have anything to do with weight loss difficulty?

I have to go food shopping and my list is going to be basically fish/chicken - veggies - fruit. I made a vegetable soup this past week to snack on and I'd like to do it again his week.

My peak time for cravings it after dinner and while watching TV at night.

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

I know I am a carb addict, but I do think ssri's have alot to do with it. It's ridiculous.

Schuyler....I have done the carb abstinence thingy and I have had weight melt off.

Since being on ssri' it doesn't melt off like it used to. I do take bio-identical hormones and wondered if there is weight gain from that??

Do HBP and Cholesterol lowering medicines have anything to do with weight loss difficulty?

I have to go food shopping and my list is going to be basically fish/chicken - veggies - fruit. I made a vegetable soup this past week to snack on and I'd like to do it again his week.

My peak time for cravings it after dinner and while watching TV at night.

Hi Nikki.. my guess is most psychotropic drugs that increase appetite effect carbs more, though one can sure eat enormous bowls of salad, yikes. Heaven only knows what the mechanisms involved are. I don't know anything about how bio-identical hormones. I subscribe to The Nutrition Action Newsletter.. the cost is $10 a year. They have great info that is easy to read. Strongly recommended. You can also get copies online.

Your vegetable soup sounds marvelous, and I'd love a taste!

Heh.. my peak cravings are from 11AM until 7PM.. they subside at night when I'm watching TV, this could be because I'm next to the fridge too much during the day.. well, it does not help. Grrr, my appetite is much easier to cope with when I'm 150 mgs of Lyrica or below.

btw.. the June issue has an article about how chocolate helps control weight!

Okay I am going to tell on myself....I had ice cream last night and I had Ice cream last saturday night. Ben & Jerry's.

Then I wonder why losing weight is tough :blink:

Will be making Vegetable Soup again to have in lieu of Ben & Jerry's :P

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Moderator Emeritus

Okay I am going to tell on myself....I had ice cream last night and I had Ice cream last saturday night. Ben & Jerry's.

Then I wonder why losing weight is tough :blink:

Will be making Vegetable Soup again to have in lieu of Ben & Jerry's :P

Opffff.. Ben and Jerry's is big time high test cals. For one serving, 4 oz. you are may well be logging in at 300 cals. Nikki.. you really would like the Nutrition Newsletter.. it's well worth the $10.. or you can get issues online. In June, which I need to find :o , they had a section that compared different types of ice cream.. Ben and Jerry's is real heavyyy lifting. I think the recent section they just did on being addicted to sugar/carbs is in May. Not difficult to read, articles are a reasonable length, and they cover all the important stuff.~S

Hi. Since I went off effexor in October 2011 have lost about 30 pounds simply from not bingeing any longer. I don't even want to binge anymore. Before I went on ads and all the years I was on them I binged on chocolate, candy of all kinds, jams and jellies, ice cream. And I thought ads helped curb binges. NOT. I still do not (can't handle) bringing old binge foods into the house; I have them outside or just bring in one serving. I eat less overall and feel better. One of the reasons I don't want to go back on ads is I don't want to gain the weight back. I know it's vanity but also health and if I feel I have to go back I will see if there is one that won't cause the bingeing. FM

I suspect the carb craving is somehow related to SS/NRIs association with diabetes.

• Moderator Emeritus

That's what I think, and may be true for most neuroleptics. I'd bet the mechanism for this is the same regardless of which one is causing huger cravings. Like Fefe, I find it impossible to resist the cravings at the level of Lyrica I am at now, so cannot keep high carb foods in the house. The only way I know to beat this is by staying well away while I'm on the high dose of Lyrica I got stuck on. At 150 mgs, the cravings start to dimish, but for now it's stay away from carbs. when possible.

For now, it's eat Posted Image not Posted Image ~S

I dont recall a specific craving during the few days on Zyprexa. It was a primal "I must eat anything or im going to DIE!!!" craze. I was at a happy hour, friend who is a psychiatrist (taking Zyprexa for stuttering) beside me, parked at the food table shoveling it in. We weren't saying a word, just eating nonstop, when we finally realized what had taken over. It was one of those moments that stuck with me.

• 6 months later...

a friend of mine who was on Zoloft for years, decided to gradually decrease her zoloft over time. She did not have WD and she did it over about a year or so. She noticed that she was losing weight. She lost 53 pounds and is totally off zoloft and doing well. She said it really fell off once she was off of it. The cravings diminished and she has the willpower to not engage in eating junk. I am a sugar addict. Before I took ssri's I was a nice weight. I did not really have weight issues on Pamelor. When I switched to Paxil it started. Then there was Lexapro (another weight gainer). Now Celexa. I had alot more will power before ssri's. I always had cravings, but it was manageable. I am older, and I take HRT. But I really believe ssri's keep the weight on. My daughter friend got of lexapro and dropped 30 pounds. She is on Cymbalta now and gained the weight back. This is the real reason I want to get off ssri's. Hugs

Edited by ChessieCat

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

I have lost 55 pounds since stopping Effexor in Oct. of 2011. It was "lost" with no effort on my part. I binged like crazy on Effexor and just don't now. I have urges but have the ability to refrain from bingeing. I don't know what makes one binge on ads. I thought they were supposed to minimize that urge. One thing I noticed though is now that I don't binge, my feelings are stronger and I feel uncomfortable feelings that the bingeing covered up. The ads covered up unpleasant feelings too. Being off ads is still better than being numbed out.

Thanks Fefe...

AD's are weight gainers for sure. Like you I had cravings my whole life, but they are not manageable while on ssri's. Tricyclics did not cause cravings.

It is interesting that you lost that weight and didn't have to run yourself into the ground to try and get it off.

Paxil shuts down the fat burning enzyme Leptin and afterafter getting off of it, the enzyme awakens from a deep sleep and begins doing it's job again.

The mental/emotional part of this really bothers me alot. I struggle with it every day.

I am physically busy most of the time. I should look like a stick :huh:

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

I definitely lost weight about 40-50 lbs in the first 9 months.

I was at a pretty good weight for a while but then started with GI problems and lost additional weight.

Weight gain is very common on both of the meds I was taking then -- an AD and an atypical antipsychotic.

I definitely felt unhappy about my weight problem at the time so I know how terrible that feels. I felt a lot better about myself when I returned to a more porportionate weight. Of course, at the time, I experienced substantial misery through the withdrawal process. If I could today have the 2009 weight with the 2012 knowledge, I'd happily take back the weight to know how better to deal with my situation and avoid the worst horrors.

Good luck, Nikki! I am pulling for you in 2013!

EDIT: My leptin was tested as part of a biotoxin diagnostic panel a couple mos ago and it came back almost unmeasurable, so very low. Not implying causation. I don't understand the result.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Yep....Leptin shut down from these meds.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I haven't really lost much weight, but I'd say I'm definitely not as bothered by my weight as I was. My BMI is 29, which as it turns out is just one point above average for my age. And it turns out statistically that people with BMI over 28 actually live longer than people with lower BMI, up to a point (at severe obesity the lifespan gets shorter again).

Plus, being postmenopausal, carrying more weight gives me better estrogen status (after menopause the type of estrogen in the body is estrone, which is produced in fat cells, not the ovaries)--and also reduces my risk of osteoporosis, which both of my parents have.

So that's another piece of the puzzle, if you find you're fretting a lot about your weight. It turns out that carrying a bit more weight, especially for postmenopausal women, is not necessarily a bad thing.

And if it's society's dictates that are driving you nuts (about attractiveness)--well, I struggle with those every day, since my age alone has put me into the "not worth anything" category, as a woman in our society.

So screw 'em, I say. I love myself, my body's doing GREAT given all the crap it's been through, and I'm not going to get that external "attractiveness" validation from American culture and media regardless. (I watch a lot of BBC instead.)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Interesting info on leptin. Any knowledge of a connection to sleep or ghrelin?

I've had the opposite problem of weight loss after about 8 years on various SS/NRIs. At first, i appreciated it because i always tended to be a bit heavy. I haven't noticed a change since withdrawing from Pristiq.

Thanks everyone.

• 1 month later...

I have consuming hunger which can be only shortly relieved. It is very annoying since being hungry makes me feel way worse. It makes things a lot tougher.

Anyone relate?

First AD -sertraline- in 2007at the age of 13 because of child abuse

2009-2013: intricate story of multiple wds, meds and cts, gradually became a living mess

Feb 2013: last CT from a cocktail of four drugs, symptoms are relenting but witness a constant sharpening of the brain

I remember when prozac came out one of the big things associated with it was weight loss which I think was through decreased appetite. Likely, as part of your healing process your body is trying to return to normal eating.

• 4 weeks later...

Do any of you that lost weight think you had problems from drugs in your fat cells being released into your system? Any other thoughts on what helps weight loss? I am starting to have mild gallbladder discomfort and I REALLY don't want to have surgery at this weight...and in withdrawal.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

• 1 month later...

An old friend of mine offered to do what we call a 4th step inventory on various self-defeating and 'blocks' that I have.

An inventory (in 12-step terms is defined as  'searching and fearless morale inventory of ourselves'.

It is done my writing it out.  There are various formats.  It's very revealing and freeing.

I am going to do it on EATING :o Oh the joy :P

I am eating emotionally. It's chocolate, and bad carbs.  It's like I am in a shark frenzy.... :blush: embarrassing, yes.

When I put something like chocolate or cake in my mouth there is this momentary sense of tremendous satisfaction.  And of course, it sets off the trigger of more craving.

This 'insanity or pattern' eleveated when I went on AD's.  I always had these cravings, but it did get worse.  Now the stressors are big and I am engaging in a very addictive and hurtful pattern.

I have started 'juicing' to exchange eating something fattening for juicing vegetables. 

This has been bugging me so much....it's me bugging me.  I need to lose 25-30 pounds (2-3 stone) for my friends in the UK.

Hi. Since I went off effexor in October 2011 have lost about 30 pounds simply from not bingeing any longer. I don't even want to binge anymore. Before I went on ads and all the years I was on them I binged on chocolate, candy of all kinds, jams and jellies, ice cream. And I thought ads helped curb binges. NOT. I still do not (can't handle) bringing old binge foods into the house; I have them outside or just bring in one serving. I eat less overall and feel better. One of the reasons I don't want to go back on ads is I don't want to gain the weight back. I know it's vanity but also health and if I feel I have to go back I will see if there is one that won't cause the bingeing. FM

Since my mother's stroke I have been out-of-control..........

I have to tell myself that 'nothing changes, if nothing changes.....

HELP :D

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Hi Nikki,

Saw your comment about weight in another thread. I have found something curious about my sugar cravings. On AD's I craved it all the time (esp ice cream and chocolate). Now, I can only eat a little at a time. Just don't want it in the quantities I was used to. I read a site recently about food tastes and 'rarity' and how constant use of sweeteners disrupts that. I used to drink about a gallon of diet c0ke a day, now I can only drink it occasionally (the diet).

Since finding this site in March, I made a decision to drink more water instead of soda. A source suggested 9 cups a day. Since I wasn't tracking it well I bought a 2.2 L plastic jug and set myself to drinking it all throughout the day and I can drink soda as long as I finish my water too. On a site I am using to determine dietary intake (see my intro post), 2.7 L is listed for me. I notice on the days I don't start drinking the h2o early, I am craving c0ke (and I don't want the h2o) and want more ice cream. I don't have the choc craving so much anymore. But I bought a Lindt & Sprungli 85% cocoa bar a few weeks ago anyway, turns out it is a great source of iron. Took me a long time to finish it, just kept forgetting it was in the fridge.

I have been allowing myself up to 3 of the 7.5 oz c0ke cans a day, as long as I finish my water. Yesterday I bought the diet cans, I may have to give them away if they don't sit right. 145 cals in the regular soda and to keep from getting back on the soda kick, I drink it straight from the can, no ice. Blech. But it's a gentle way of getting a little sugar and caffeine (34mg/can) and keeps me from overdoing it. And a couple tbsp of Edy's 1/2 the fat caramel delight ice cream before bed.

Do you do water?

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

Hi everyone!

Just want to share my experience regarding weight.

I went off Cipralex last October, and since then I lost 15 lbs without much difficulty.

Then when I reinstated on May 18 I noticed that my weight was creeping back up - I have now put on 8 lbs in appr 3 weeks! Very disappointing, because I really need to lose some weight. I do think some this new weight is water weight (my fingers and legs are swollen, which they never used to be except when being pregnant).

I really hope that my weight does not continue to go up - that always depressses me, and will make the withdrawal much more difficult.

Alopam (benzodiazepine) first prescribed 1994
Akarin (citalopram) from 2002

Mirtazepine for about 2 months for insomnia in 2003 or 2004
Changed from Akarin to Effexor 2005
Started Nexium 2005
Changed from Effexor to Akarin 2006
Stopped Alopam after slow tapering 2006
Changed from Akarin to Cipralex 2006
Started Seroquel (quetiapine) 2006
Changed from Nexium to Omeprazol 2006
Started tramadol 2008
Started pramipexole for restless legs syndrome 2008
Stopped Seroquel after quick tapering 2009
Stopped tramadol 2011
Stopped Omeprazol August 2012
Stopped Cipralex (escitalopram) (after an appr 6 weeks taper) on Oct 13, 2012
Reinstated Cipralex 5 mg on May 18 - on May 22 went down to 2.5 mg Cipralex - June 1 down to 2 mg Cipralex, oral drops - June 26 down to 1.20 mg - July 27 updosed to 1,30 mg - Sept 14 down to 1,00 mg of own tablet liquid - Oct 20 down to 0,90 mg

Hi Nikki,

Saw your comment about weight in another thread. I have found something curious about my sugar cravings. On AD's I craved it all the time (esp ice cream and chocolate). Now, I can only eat a little at a time. Just don't want it in the quantities I was used to. I read a site recently about food tastes and 'rarity' and how constant use of sweeteners disrupts that. I used to drink about a gallon of diet c0ke a day, now I can only drink it occasionally (the diet).

Since finding this site in March, I made a decision to drink more water instead of soda. A source suggested 9 cups a day. Since I wasn't tracking it well I bought a 2.2 L plastic jug and set myself to drinking it all throughout the day and I can drink soda as long as I finish my water too. On a site I am using to determine dietary intake (see my intro post), 2.7 L is listed for me. I notice on the days I don't start drinking the h2o early, I am craving c0ke (and I don't want the h2o) and want more ice cream. I don't have the choc craving so much anymore. But I bought a Lindt & Sprungli 85% cocoa bar a few weeks ago anyway, turns out it is a great source of iron. Took me a long time to finish it, just kept forgetting it was in the fridge.

I have been allowing myself up to 3 of the 7.5 oz c0ke cans a day, as long as I finish my water. Yesterday I bought the diet cans, I may have to give them away if they don't sit right. 145 cals in the regular soda and to keep from getting back on the soda kick, I drink it straight from the can, no ice. Blech. But it's a gentle way of getting a little sugar and caffeine (34mg/can) and keeps me from overdoing it. And a couple tbsp of Edy's 1/2 the fat caramel delight ice cream before bed.

Do you do water?

Is this Diet Coke? I used to do drink a lot of Diet soda as well when I was talking drugs. I don't drink any diet soda or regular soda anymore.

It seems to me that many antidepressant users drink a lot of diet soda, doesn't it?

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Ananelle I think Cipralex is Celexa and sorry that you had to go thru the gain for reinstatement.  It is disheartening. But you had to do it.  Now you know and thank you for sharing that once off the drug, weight loss is not that difficult.  This is what I have been reading for years now.

I have also read and believe that using calorie-free sweetners promote cravings.  It does for me.  When Flower was posting to us about getting off 'pop' because of the dangers of aspartame I cut back to just having crystal light and eliminated all aspartame.

LIke you said, it doesn't work.

I remember Dr. Atkins saying the best things to stop cravings is to completely abstain.  He said that first bit of chocolate is the "kiss of death", boy was he right.

Farwell Crystal Light :(

I remember that on paxil websites the members said they did not lose weight until completely off the drug...I read an interview with Stevie Nicks and she said she gained weight from antidepressants and lost it when she got off of them.

I still have issues with cravings even without meds, But I did not have a total loss of control over them pre meds.

Emotional eating is an issue with me too.

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

It seems to me that many antidepressant users drink a lot of diet soda, doesn't it?

Yeah, Alexejice, I sure did! I remember some days near the end of meds that I would sit in my chair and keep drinking DC hoping to finally wake up so I could start the day! Some days it just didn't happen. I look back on that and attribute it to the deadening effect of my SSNRI. I do not think any of the artificial sweeteners are inherently bad, it's the amount and the distortion of 'sweetness' that may be the problem. And I'm pretty sure there is an habituation factor at work in caffeine intake.

I don't know why I decided to get the diet this time instead of the regular. We'll see how it goes. I'm sure I'll have no problems giving it away to one of the neighbors. Warm DC (and even COLD DC) is very gassy. Like I said, no ice in my drink, I feel it would be very easy to get 'hooked' again. It seems to depress my appetite too, not a good idea. I used to fuel my body with caffeine, sugar, cigs, little sleep, ruminative thoughts. No wonder I got depressed......

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

IM 216lb male who is down to 205 in like 2 weeks.Anxiety and Gi issues are killing me..Should I be concerned or should eat a certain diet to keep my stomach from hurting?? IM GOING to reinstate too 9 or 10mg from 7mg.. I need to snap out of this or I feel I'm going to go under 200 and freak out...never been under 200 maybe 18 years ago..

2002 22.5mg paxil Cr for anxiety 2003 22.5 quit cold nighmare 2004 30mg paxil 2005 30mg quit cold nightmare 2006-2010 40mg-50mg generic paxil 2011 20mg 2011 MAY 10mg paxil then swithched to prozac failure..bad GI ISSUES 2011 sept back too 25 paxil .. major GI Issues 1 year and a 1/2..2012 15mg ..figuring it out. 2012 june paxil liquid to 14mg GI Issues disappeared!!2012 oct 13mg..1 mg a month weaning. 2013 Feb. 9mg headaches.Mar 2013 8.5mg, 3/27 7.6mg 4/24 7 Mg.. Made it back to 7mg 2015 but Im not using Liquid it irritated me to much.. Cutting the pills down..Bad GI Issues..

Depends on the GI issues.  Are you depleting everything you eat?  If so try things that will 'stick to your ribs' like pastina, some pasta and a bit of veggies, baked potatoes, bananas......

Hope this helps

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Stomach cramping I have to force myself to eat..Just feels like upset stomach.. Had diareah a couple of days ago..I guess since I'm updosing this could be a symptom.

2002 22.5mg paxil Cr for anxiety 2003 22.5 quit cold nighmare 2004 30mg paxil 2005 30mg quit cold nightmare 2006-2010 40mg-50mg generic paxil 2011 20mg 2011 MAY 10mg paxil then swithched to prozac failure..bad GI ISSUES 2011 sept back too 25 paxil .. major GI Issues 1 year and a 1/2..2012 15mg ..figuring it out. 2012 june paxil liquid to 14mg GI Issues disappeared!!2012 oct 13mg..1 mg a month weaning. 2013 Feb. 9mg headaches.Mar 2013 8.5mg, 3/27 7.6mg 4/24 7 Mg.. Made it back to 7mg 2015 but Im not using Liquid it irritated me to much.. Cutting the pills down..Bad GI Issues..

• 2 months later...

My reasoning for trying to wean off AD's is because of weight.  The reality is that I gained 50 pounds from the day I put Paxil in my system.

From Paxil to Lexapro same weight.

On imipramine I was able to lose some weight.

Added Celexa same 50 pounds.

Been like this for 13 years and it sux.  Carrying around this weight has affected many areas of my life from and internal view.

Affected self esteem.  Don't look in mirrors. Shame, to mention a few.

I have always had sugar cravings, they sky-rocketed from AD's.  It has become worse over time.  I begin a diet and then the cravings come on.

The reality check came for me this week when I stepped on the scale at the doctor's office and I let the nurse tell me what I weigh.

Do I want to blame the drugs.  Yes,  Do I need to take responsibility - yes.

How?

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

I wish I knew! But I have been reading the posts from The Institute for the Psychology of Eating and find them quite interesting. I'm not sure anything will work with soaring cortisol levels...I have to go back to the source of that. Some people find the GAPS diet helpful...it especially looks at healing the gut. But I am sure that restrictive dieting rarely works. Like depression, weight gain is usually just a warning light that something somewhere is amiss. You can remove the light bulb, but that doesn't solve anything.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hi MQ

I have read that soaring cortisol leaves weight gain around the midsection.  Is this what you mean?

It is nice to hear from you.....how are you doing?

Was off site for a period of time as I was tapering, doing well and wanted to take a break from the sadness that exists from anyone trying to get off of these drugs.

I was cold turkeyed off of hormones by a Jack-ass doctor and it triggered WD.....so here I am again :o

Want to be normal and thin :) Is that too much to ask :angry::P

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy