Neuroplastic

Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

pattypan
2 hours ago, direstraits said:

I also feel so uncomfortable in my body...I always was able to lose weight after I went off the drugs til I had a hysterectomy.

I think menopause plays a role in weight gain but I also think these drugs change metabolism,too.

IT's very frustrating when you've always been thin or even underweight,,,I hate it.

I gained weight on Lexapro and then got pregnant a year after. my weight hasnt budged since pregnancy ( its been 3 years!)

What i want to know is:
Is the weight gain from the drug?
OR
Is the weight gain from eating normally/ decreased anxiety?

For me- when i am anxious I dont eat, I have OCD re: scales and # and ALWAYS stayed in a specific range of 5# until the OCD was controlled by the lexapro... then i threw the scale out. 
I eat healthy, i exercise, I exclusively breastfed my child for 2 years- and still i havent dropped a pound. 

I get so confused because the Med insert reports NO weight changes... and MDs say this drup is weight neutral- but is it??

I am  realllly hoping once I get off these drugs I can be back to a more comfortable size....( and control the OCD so i dont have to be within 5 # to feel okay...) 

Any insight would be SO appreciated!

direstraits
51 minutes ago, pattypan said:

I gained weight on Lexapro and then got pregnant a year after. my weight hasnt budged since pregnancy ( its been 3 years!)

What i want to know is:
Is the weight gain from the drug?
OR
Is the weight gain from eating normally/ decreased anxiety?

For me- when i am anxious I dont eat, I have OCD re: scales and # and ALWAYS stayed in a specific range of 5# until the OCD was controlled by the lexapro... then i threw the scale out. 
I eat healthy, i exercise, I exclusively breastfed my child for 2 years- and still i havent dropped a pound. 

I get so confused because the Med insert reports NO weight changes... and MDs say this drup is weight neutral- but is it??

I am  realllly hoping once I get off these drugs I can be back to a more comfortable size....( and control the OCD so i dont have to be within 5 # to feel okay...) 

Any insight would be SO appreciated!

the doctors and drug companies don't know what they're talking about...these drugs do cause weight gain in many people.

when I started Prozac 25 years ago I weighed about 130 and a few months later I was up to 150!

I never changed my diet during this time.

when I took Effexor in 2003 I went up to 175! when I stopped it I lost over 25 lbs.

I was someone who never had a weight problem,who actually was underweight for most of my life.

Hopefully you will see weight loss after coming off the drugs.

take care,ds

pattypan

@direstraits Thank you!
It is really hard to know what my NORMAL weight is- i have been on and off these meds since i was a teenager...so 20 years... all i know is that right now I am UNcomfortable!

AND i totally agree with you- they know Nothing about the  meds or side effects....

direstraits

I was on them off and on for 20 yrs. too.

who knows what effect they've had on us...

Restoration123

I've been taking Sertraline for 8 months. The past couple of months, I've noticed rapid weight gain. Ugh!  Has anyone noticed weight loss once you started tapering? Also, has anyone tried a keto/low carb diet while taking an AD for weight loss?

Brain

Okay, riddle me this: could withdrawing from antidepressants have caused both massive weight loss and massive weight gain?

That's what it seems like for me.

In April 2014 I dropped Wellbutrin from 300mg to 150. From 2012 to December 2015 I tapered Zoloft from 200mg to 25. I've held those dosages ever since.

By fall of 2016 I had lost 20 pounds.

By April 2019 I had gained back the 20 and added 20 more.

So now I'm at my highest weight in 15 years, worse than any other time except the terrible time right after my mom died.

It's hard to see a reason for this as my diet and activity levels haven't changed that drastically. It's all pretty unprecedented in my life.

Could this somehow be explained by reducing the antidepressants?

Zoloft is known to cause weight gain, and Wellbutrin is known to cause weight loss. Perhaps by reducing both of these, I've caused their opposite effects, weight loss from reducing the Zoloft, and weight gain from reducing the Wellbutrin?

Sadly, the weight loss effect has been completely overwhelmed by whatever  has now caused me to gain weight!

It makes me hesitant to further reduce the Wellbutrin, since I am now at an unhealthy weight already and would not be well-served by adding an additional 20 pounds.

I also have definitely been more depressed since reducing these drugs. It came on slowly but it's hard to deny now. And being depressed and feeling fatigued can all add to the weight gain in and of themselves.

Anyway, I'd love to get back to the 170 I was at instead of the 210 I'm now struggling against!

Would love to hear people's thoughts.

jeremy1069

Topic title:  Sudden weight loss

I’ve been at this over a year now. Things have come and gone. A lot of it seems to have eased for the time being. I’m hopeful but I know I’m not there yet.

I’ve noticed I lost a considerable amount of weight within the last week or two. I’m starting to look like how I did when I was a teenager. I had a tad of belly flab after I was about 22, it’s dropped considerably this month. 

Only changes I have made (over the summer) were are a lot of walking and a lot of plain bottled water (Which I stopped drinking when I was about 20) I started guzzling a certain brand of bottled water that I had not touched in years sometime in July. This replaced the diet soda I was drinking (I cut all caffeine after 1PM to help with sleep)

I would guess these changes are the cause of some of it, but I’m just worried because this is so sudden it seems. Can the withdrawal suddenly effect metabolism? I know there were periods of time during this when I was having more libido. Like the weight loss, it was the highest since I was a teenager. That has since dropped back off. 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

bubbles

You were drinking diet soda until recently? I just read somewhere that it is actually associated with weight gain. If you've eliminated it, could that account for it?

jeremy1069

When I was 20, in 2007 I was at the peak of the OCD (This was before I had even seen the psychiatrist) I went from Sprite to Diet Pepsi. It was all we had. Diet Pepsi was my favorite when I was a child, so that was not a big deal. It didn’t seem to change my weight at the time.

Water was my drink of choice in high school. So much in fact that it triggered kidney stones to pass on a seemingly regular basis. I’m feeling that back pain this morning as well for the first time in awhile (Go figure)

Sorry for starting another thread again when I should have researched. I keep forgetting repeatedly. It’s frustrating.

getofflex

I gained a lot of weight while on AD's.  I've lost it in the past 2 years.  During my taper I also went to a weight loss group and achieved my goal weight last November.  However, since my last dose reduction on Sept 16, my appetite has increased!  I've heard of people having loss of appetite during AD WD, but not an increase in appetite. This morning I ate a healthy well balanced breakfast and lunch, and I'm hungry in 2 or 3 hours.  I really don't want to put the weight back on, but I don't want to go hungry, either.  Anyone else have this experience?  Would it help to reduce carbs, and increase fat and protein? 

breakfast was ambrosia salad(coconut, mandarin oranges, pineapple, cool whip) greek yogurt, and a whole grain banana nut muffin

lunch was leftover meatloaf, homemade mashed potatoes (about 3/4 cup), 1.5 cups watermelon, and a green salad 

I also took a slow 70 minute walk outside.

JackieDecides
On 8/27/2019 at 2:41 PM, Brain said:

could withdrawing from antidepressants have caused both massive weight loss and massive weight gain?

That's what it seems like for me.

I haven't had "massive" changes (recently) but lost a lot of weight immediately after going off Lexapro and then a long period of slowly losing weight when I didn't want to. I would eat all I wanted, then eat MORE until I was eating all I was able to, and I still had trouble maintaining. this past summer was 1 year off Lexapro.

this fall I moved to Oregon and it's like someone flipped a switch:  I gained 10 pounds quickly and while the anxiety is much less intense, I now have depression. 

my feeling is that I absolutely had weight loss from going off Lexapro - no doubt - but I also had it from anxiety. 

and now I'm having weight gain from depression. 

so now I have to learn to deal with that, really for the first time since being off Lexapro. 

Gridley
24 minutes ago, JackieDecides said:

I absolutely had weight loss from going off Lexapro

I too have lost a lot of weight (that I didn't want to lose) during my Lexapro taper.

Guilietta

Duloxetine has had an effect on my weight (as have other CNS and ADs I have taken and currently take).

"Duloxetine-treated patients experienced weight loss after short-term treatment, followed by modest weight gain on longer-term treatment." I would say this has generally been true in my case.

Following my abrupt discontinuation in December 2018, I had extremely high anxiety and panic and inappetance. I lost 5# in less than a month ( that I didn't intend to lose).  I was having trouble eating enough. I wasn't hungry even though my body needed energy. Getting 1700 calories was hard.  Only by deliberately eating high and empty calorie foods did I gain the weight back.

Following that I have  my appetite has gone from being ravenous to craving carbs to inappetance. I have not been documenting what I am eating (and how much) because it makes me anxious. I threw out my scale. It caused more anxiety than was useful. :) So I go by how my clothes fit and how chubby I am around the middle! 

Note that duloxetine causes elevated blood glucose levels - demonstrated on a clinical trial with patients taking duloxetine for pain management. This may affect weight. Other ADs may as well.

About weight and ADs:

Excerpted from "Effects of the Antidepressant Duloxetine on Body Weight: Analyses of 10 Clinical Studies" - link below for weight changes associated with various ADs.

Many antidepressants affect body weight. Weight gain, in particular, may lead to patient dissatisfaction, noncompliance, and eventual discontinuation of therapy.1 The tricyclic antidepressants are commonly associated with weight gain that can be disturbing to patients and may interfere with patients' willingness to continue long-term maintenance treatment.2 Conversely, the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) fluoxetine3,4 and sertraline5 and the dopamine reuptake inhibitor bupropion5 are associated with short-term weight loss. In the long term, patients treated with fluoxetine tend to regain their weight after experiencing an initial short-term weight loss.6 Another SSRI, paroxetine, is associated with long-term weight gain,7 whereas bupropion may induce long-term weight loss.8 Sibutramine, a monoamine re-uptake inhibitor of norepinephrine (NE) and serotonin (5-HT)9 that was initially studied as an antidepressant, is used as an anti-obesity agent to induce weight loss.10,11

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1764530/