Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

Neuroplastic

• Administrator

Merged similar topics.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Hi

Has anyone successfully managed to lose weight or excercise following an adverse reaction? Mine was an instant reaction after 5 days or so of citalopram. I have since gained almost 2 stone which I am finding impossible to lose. I managed low carb for a month but it was to hard to maintain. 

I also cannot excercise, even a low amount of physical excercise leaves me with a horrible migraine for days. 

It has been almost 14 months since my reaction and I am getting back to normal but I am starting to feel depressed with the weight gain and inability to lose weight.

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, keogh08 said:

Hi

Has anyone successfully managed to lose weight or excercise following an adverse reaction? Mine was an instant reaction after 5 days or so of citalopram. I have since gained almost 2 stone which I am finding impossible to lose. I managed low carb for a month but it was to hard to maintain. 

I also cannot excercise, even a low amount of physical excercise leaves me with a horrible migraine for days. 

It has been almost 14 months since my reaction and I am getting back to normal but I am starting to feel depressed with the weight gain and inability to lose weight.

I managed to lose weight while I was tapering off of Lexapro.  In fact, getting mostly off this drug is probably what helped me lose weight.  However, I did follow a diet and exercise plan.  I have also been walking 45 minutes to an hour per day.  The walking helps in so many ways.  I believe it helps my brain, and it is soothing and relaxing, and I feel so much better afterwards.  Jennifer 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

Thank you for getting back to me.

As I only took the medication for 5 days I'm finding it's not as straight forward for me.

Did you have any issues with exercising like headaches afterwards even though the workout is not that strenuous?

My water intake is really good so I know it is not dehydration. 

I am a regular Walker as I dont drive, so I dont think my body recognises this to help aid weightloss..its starting to become really frustrating.

Citalopram 20mg september 23 2019 - 29th September 2019

@keogh08 Hi, I didn’t have an adverse reaction, but I’ve also gain weighted in withdrawal since my symptoms can make it hard to get much movement as I used to. I read that you get headaches after cardio but you are almost healed! (Wuwuw!) what I would think that could help is focusing on your nutrition, (it’s possible to loose weight without much exercise as long as you’re in a deficit). Anyways, if this is not possible, maybe try to just wait until the headache symptom subsides and started exercise again. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself for the weight, you can always loose it once you’re fully healed. I know it’s hard, but you’ve come so far!

•august 2016- feb 2019: on and off SSRIs (fluoxetine and agomelatine) also unknown drug and clonazepam for a short amount of time 

•January 25 2020: 50mg of setraline and clonazepam 1mg 

•March 2020: increase to 100mg of setraline

•May 2020:  stopped setraline, fast tapper 3 weeks. stopped clonazepam, according to how my psychiatrists told me. 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

What I have noticed is that following about 2 months completely OFF the drug , my appetite is through the roof. I know it’s good to have my appetite back but this doesn’t feel normal ... I eat a lot throughout the day, before Zoloft I was eating regular small meals now I eat large meals and even between  meals. I can hear my stomach making loud noises all day long like when ur extremely hungry . At the moment over eating doesn’t bother me cause I have lost lot of weight during this nightmare but long term this is smg I need to control.

About exercising: I used to exercise a lot and was very fit before Zoloft. I tried to exercise again when one month OFF Zoloft and found it extremely hard.... being at a deep Depersonalization state I felt like I was a ghost without physical presence on this earth so what in the world was I exercising for? 
I will try to get back to the gym now that I feel better (3 months OFF Zoloft about 50-60% reduction of Depersonalization intensity) and update my experience here. 

Aug. 16-17, 2020, cipralex: went CRAZY! Recovered in 24hrs

Aug.28,2020; 3.5 weeks 25mg sertraline/4.5 weeks taper

Oct. 25: Last dose (4mg)

Symptoms while on zoloft

DPDR/out of my body/soul despair/feeling dead; tinnitus/no appetite; fear, anxiety/panics

4 months OFF: soul despair, anxiety/fear, brain disconnection/ DPDR, brain feels swollen-numb/crazy/bedridden barely functioning, tinnitus, eye lid twitches; face spasms. Feeling slightly better after 10pm.

- sleep & appetite are fine

9 months OFF: hell, no windows, same symptoms as above  (only eye and face twitches have stopped) plus intense arm/shoulder pain and visual issues. Tinnitus replaced by head buzzing. 

10 months-1 year: all above plus Insomnia (out of nowhere), depression, no peace of mind (mental Akathisia); 2.5mg melatonin

14months off: sleep resumed. All rest symptoms remain. Bedridden vegetable all day. DP is relentless. 

1.5 years off: still severely disabled, not much changed except some improvement in vision.

• 11 months later...

Lost weight. Feeling pretty bone. Hurts to lie on my bed. But am stuck there. I don't like to be touched as I can feel my bones. I suffer from an aversion to food. Smelling or people talking about food makes me feel sick. Also food sensitivities. I have two smoothies a day which are about 600-700cal each. It feels like the food doesnt want to stay down or there is no more room. It feeling like fighting to get food down. Delayed gastric emptying of the stomach has been ruled out. 

Does anyone have any insight on this? Or survived something similar? I could use to hear good news on this.

Current: Bupropion 450mg, Neurontin 800mg, Klonopin 0.5mg

History:

July 2020: started Cogentin 1mg, Lamictal 50mg, Zoloft 150mg, Zyprexa 5mg (+5mg as needed), Klonopin 0.5mg

November 2020: stopped all meds cold-turkey

February 2021: started Latuda 60mg, Lithium 300mg, Melatonin 5mg, Protonix 40mg, Topamax 25mg

2 weeks later: stopped Topamax, increased Lithium 900mg, started Klonopin 1mg, Lexapro 20mg, Neurontin 400mg

April 2021: started Bupropion 150mg, Revia ?mg

May 2021: stopped ReviaProtonixLexaproincreased Neurontin 800mg, started Celexa 10mg

August 2021: decreased Celexa 5mg (stopped Celexa 2 weeks later), increased Bupropion 300mg

September 2021: increased Latuda 80mg

October 2021: decreased Lithium 600mg for 4 daysLithium 300mg for 4 daysstopped LithiumLatuda

increased Bupropion 450mg, started Remeron 15mg, decreased Remeron 7.5mg, stopped Remeron

• 11 months later...

This is an interesting topic. I have been CRAVING sugar lately and keep binging on sweet things. I really need to get on top of that if I can. My appetite fluctuates from no appetite to constantly starving and back again.

Age 16 (1995 - 2000) -Paroxetine
Age 21 (2000-2004) - Effexor 37.5mg
Age 24 (2004-2012) - Lexapro (70mg), Xanax minimum 2mg Xanax a day
About 32 (2012-2017?) - Every mood stabiliser under the sun (not at the same time) and minimum 2mg Xanax a day; occasional amisulpride 
About 35 (2017-current) - Lurasidone 80 mg, quickly titrated down to 40mg, Pristiq (50 mg), minimum of 2mg Xanax a day
About 41 (2020) Switched from Xanax to clonazepam and started tapering at 0.125 mg each reduction, tapered off Pristiq with a cross taper at the end, low dose of dextroamphetamine.
Age 42 (2021) Tried to taper off Lurasidone three times. Quick taper from 40mg to 0 mg over a couple of months the first time. Reinstated at 20mg. Tried twice more to taper from 20 mg to 0 mg dropping by 5 mg each reduction (about every 2 weeks).
Age 42-43 (April 2022) 20mg-18mg; May 18mg-16mg; June 16-14mg; September 14-12mg; September 12-14mg reinstated. February 2023 - hiccup with brand change, Back to Apotek brand and switch to homemade suspension.

Age 44 (August 2023 -restarted clonazepam taper). Start dose 0.375mg. 1/9/2023 - 0.365mg; 1/10/2023 - 0.324mg; 1/11/2023 - 0.264mg; 1/12/2023 - 0.25 mg (holding); 1/2/2024 - 0.232mg; 1/3/2024 - 0.221mg; 1/4/2024 - 0.205mg;

Health regimen: walks, hot/cold showers, ice baths, breathwork, mostly healthy diet, therapy...... Open to ideas! Supplements: Milk Kefir, Mag, Omega 3, CBD/THC.

• 2 months later...

I have been having a consistent pattern of symptoms in withdrawal that have been the most long lasting of all symptoms these 4 years, and I have always suspected that the rapid weight loss that put me on mirtazapine, the rapid gain on it, and the rapid weight loss post CT has aggravated what may have been preexisting vascular issues, triggering most of my chronic symptoms.

I was on the website of a German doctor called Thomas scholbach and for the first time was able to find information that correlated my physical structure to symptoms, as well as get an answer for why I feel so much better when I move my body and breathe in certain ways.. 

I have left varicocele, hemarroids, head forward, away back posture, abdominal visceral sensitivity and tightness, leg paresthesia, sinus pressure, poor thermoregulation, and most of the time, I am symptomatic on my left side.

Anyone else ? All my tests so far haven't indicated any issues, so either it's not the right tests or something else..

Here are the articles that correlated with my symptoms - 

Symptom checklist 

https://scholbach.de/gefaesskompressionsphaenomene-darstellung-fuer-patientinnen-und-patienten/checkliste-gefaesskompressionssyndrome#gsc.tab=0

Vascular compression syndromes - 

https://scholbach.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/20180324-vascular-compression-syndromes-own-website.pdf

Treatment 

https://scholbach.de/behandlung-von-kompressionssyndromen#gsc.tab=0

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

• 1 year later...

I've been here a long time ago struggling to get off Paxil. I am now on what I call a 10-year taper. I drop about .004 mg of paxil pill weight every few weeks. (For perspective, a 20mg tablet weighs .25mg.) I am at about 17.25 mg strength now. Painfully slow and steady, but I've tried every trick in the book to go quicker only for withdrawal to hit.

What I am wondering, for those who have done the long, slow taper over years... was there a point where your metabolism returned and you began to naturally shed the pounds gained from Paxil? (I'm up 60 lbs.)

Thanks!

After ending up back on 20mg paxil in 2016, I began what I call a 10 year taper in 2022.  I drop according to pill weight, .004 mg (wgt) every 3-4 weeks.  I split the dose day/night.

2/2024: 17.25 mg (dose)

10000 IU vitamin D/day, fish oil, vitamin E, magnesium, coQ10, potassium (as needed), atenolol, allergy meds, migraine meds

--------------------------------------------------------

Paxil 20mg: 2011-2013 followed by a 5 month withdrawal and switch to Lexapro.Lexapro 10mg: 2013-2014 then attempted to switch to Effexor but had bad reaction, ended up on Paxil 20mg again.Paxil 20mg: 2014-2016.

Tapering off of Paxil starting 01/18/2016; reached 10mg 03/01 _03/19: 8mg _4/2: 10mg_ 

Tried cross-tapering with Zoloft: failed. Quit zoloft. Stabilized at 10mg paxil in June 2016.Tried cross-tapering with Prozac, made it 11 days without paxil on 20mg prozac and then bad w/d hit. Quit prozac 8/2.

Back on paxil: tapered up to 10mg:8/20 _8/29:12mg _ 9/2:12.4mg _ 9/8:13.2 _ 9/11:13.6 _9/21:14.4_9/26:16.2_9/29:16.8

20mg stable

• 4 weeks later...

I never gained any wt on the various SSRIs I’ve been on over the years and am naturally slim.  I’ve been off my Prozac 60mg x 5-6 weeks.  I have noticed a few lbs wt gain, more so around my middle.  No changes in my diet or exercise.  Anyone else?  What would be the cause?  My wt has always been very stable.  

2002-2006 zoloft

2006-2010 Celexa & lexapro

2011- Wellbutrin, stopped/irritable 

2012-2014 zoloft

2015- cymbalta stopped/sweating

2015-2108 Zoloft

2018-2024 Prozac & Sam-e. Just weened off Prozac over 2 mos. On Sam-e/1600mg and trazodone 50mg for sleep. These are all approximate time frames as my memory is horrible. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy