SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

Neuroplastic

• Mentor

I was always thin.  I am 5 foot 3 inches, but sorry I do weights in Kilos,, weird that?    I was always 47-49 kilos, light frame.   During my 30s, I started to exercise, aerobics, as I enjoyed the company, the music, and apparently muscle weighs more.  They said my minimum weight should be 53 kilos.  Next 20 years of my life.... I never reached this idea weight, the max I got to, with weightlifting was 51kg.  But gosh I got happy, and felt well....

After 5 kids, no exercise, like before, my weight went back to  46 kilos... no-one had seen me as thin as I was 30 years before, my normal weight for me.    All clear in hindsight.   Age 45.. gp script for being thin and tired (who wouldn't be tired, one kid uni, one kid high school one kid 4 one kid 2, and a mini farm... Plus a husband who preferred to be elsewhere.  Oh and trying to work p/t also?  but I was only 1 kilo underweight for me!!

Long story ...fallout of a bad reaction to gp meds? effexor, seroquol, tegretol.....then every year  I got fatter and fatter.  Until my legs rubbed together,  went from size 8  Australian, (size 6 USA), in jeans to size 14  (US 16)...   I liked the increase in my non existent boobs.   I never ever, have thought much about my weight, I dont dwell on it, as thin runs in my family.....  

Doesn't matter if you run a marathon each day, and/or you dont eat a mouthful more than you ever did, serotonin receptors are 85% in the gut, 15% in the brain.  Gut gets as happy and stupid as the brain. metabolism slows, stuff ends up as fat instead of being secreted, like before.

My experience?  Off drugs now 9 months....  After 6 months, the Severe WD hit, the drugs finally all gone  (yes the drugs  hide in your fat also)....   

Now?  I dont want to eat, no appetite, but I eat enough,  Might be two pieces of toast a day....  but I'm alive... and I still poo the same amount, how weird?  I poo more than I eat, and the weight is falling off me.

I am now a size 10, and damn I now fit in my old clothes.  I am 55,  past menopause...

Dont stress, just wait.......  I am sure when I hit my normal non drugged weight, I will get my appetite back.  And if you are well enough to worry about your weight, you are damn in a better place than me.

Why the epidemic of obesity?  An epidemic of people on ADs. always an exception to the rule, but overall your gut is different on ADs  and takes 9 months for all the ADs to get out of your fat stores....  bit like pregnancy, takes 2 years, and miraculously, you fit in your old clothes, no doesn't happen in 3 months, if it does, you are ill.

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Actually in response to the above post I lost my pregnancy weight by the time she was 3 months and I was never ill, however I was 18 at the time so that probably helped ;-)

Anyway, a little update!

Before starting a/ds I was 8 stone 7. After 8 months on Prozac I was 1 stone heavier. This stabilised and I remained this weight for 4 years. Then I come off Prozac in June/July of 2012, reinstated in the September due to relationship issues and then March 2013 was switched to Citalopram for Anxiety that I'd never previously had (could it have been caused by reinstating?). A few months later it wasn't working and I was prescribed the dreaded Paroxetine! I gained a stone in around 6 months and was 10 stone 6 at my heaviest and with Paroxetine the weight did not stabilise it just continues to creep up.

This was enough to make me quit c/t and I'm now 11 months med free.

In Dec 14, I lost 6lb. They literally dropped off. So I have felt more of a push to eat healthier although I still eat terrible some days and I am not down to 9 stone 7!

I believe I am proof these cause weight gain, although I am now watching what I eat it has been almost 6 years since my initial weight gain so it makes sense I wouldn't be able to eat what I could at 20.

Although I still feel depressed, losing this weight has felt incredible. It has been so easy and once I get my Health Anxiety under control then I will start to exercise too.

I really believe it lingers in your system a bit like what above post mentioned and, depending on your individual makeup, eventually it balances out and you start to return to hour previous weight (although I don't expect to bE 8stone 7 anymore as I am no longer 20).

Good luck everybody, have faith it will eventually become easier to lose the weight.

I have a theory if you were a 'naturally' slim person, that you may need to work to lose the weight, but once it's off it will stay off as I have read some people do not produce excess fat cells and I believe, until SSRIs that I was one of them as I couldn't gain weight even with weight gain.

I gained a whopping 70 pounds in the almost 10 years I was on Remeron. I was a few pounds overweight beforehand, maybe 5-8. the carb cravings were huge and I lost my zest for exercise.

In the 7 months I've been off them, I've lost 40 pounds. A lot of exercise and eating a low histamine diet have both seemed to help. I'm at a plateau though, a very long one..with no reasonable explanation. But maybe this is normal for being age 50. It's 10 years since I seriously tried to lose weight.

I've read that some AD cause insulin resistance, which is part of the weight gain and fatigue that many people feel on the drugs. I know exercise is supposed to help a lot with that, but my guess is that it takes some time for that to happen..along with eating a healthy diet.

I suspect that the cortisol rushes that many of us experience through withdrawal play a large role in whether we can lose weight and return to a more normal metabolism. Repeated elevation of cortisol is related to both weight gain and insulin resistance.

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I have been super hungry all the time but I'm not eating all the time as I don't want to put more weight on... Is this a wd symptom?

I feel like eating everything every second I'm awake :(

1999: amitriptyline
2002: fluoxetine
2003: venlafaxine
2007: Paxil 20mg
2012: Paxil 30mg
2014 june: Paxil stopped working and was put on citalopram 20mg
2014 august: docs put me on Paxil 20mg still feeling bad and had to stop antihistamines for hives
2015 January: doctors put me on sertriline 50mg
2015 February March: doctors wanted me to go back on Paxil 20mg
2015 April 1st: I wanted off and dropped to 10mg
9/5/15  Feeling worse for ware!  struggling but i WILL get through this

• Moderator Emeritus

Here is our increased appetite topic:

Increased appetite?  topics merged

When you have a question or comment about a specific symptom, please search to see if we already have a related topic, we usually do.  Then you can benefit from previously collected information and add to the discussion.  This keeps the site organized with all available knowledge in one thread, easily accessible through searches.

The search function on this site doesn't work very well.  The best way to search this site for specific information  is to use Google. Type in survivingantidepressants.org then the symptom or information you wish to search for.

If after searching, you can't find what you're looking for, please start a new topic.

Edited by Petunia

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

thank you :)

1999: amitriptyline
2002: fluoxetine
2003: venlafaxine
2007: Paxil 20mg
2012: Paxil 30mg
2014 june: Paxil stopped working and was put on citalopram 20mg
2014 august: docs put me on Paxil 20mg still feeling bad and had to stop antihistamines for hives
2015 January: doctors put me on sertriline 50mg
2015 February March: doctors wanted me to go back on Paxil 20mg
2015 April 1st: I wanted off and dropped to 10mg
9/5/15  Feeling worse for ware!  struggling but i WILL get through this

• 2 weeks later...

During my unsuccessful attempts previously to get off Paxil , I found that I rapidly lost weight and am not overweight and Paxil did not increase my weight. For 25 years I have been 6' and 200 lbs. Now once again after what seems to be a successful slow taper my weight has dropped by about 20 lbs and have not changed diet. Anyone have a clue as to why this happens and from others experiences does the weight return ? I feel and look better at 200 lbs and there was no fat. I don't get it, I do less due to withdrawal and eat the same but I loose weight. Sound familiar anyone??

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I lost a lot of weight during early acute withdrawal and I wasn't doing anything which would account for the amount and rate of the loss. At first I was sort of pleased, because I've always had a difficult time losing weight, but when I kept losing, I got scared, I mean really scared.

But as my nervous system has slowly been settling back down and my recovery has progressed, all the weight, plus more has come back on, which is disappointing. But I haven't been doing much, because of withdrawal and I've been making an effort to eat a good diet, so its not surprising.

DLB, you will probably go back to your normal weight in time

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

Do any of you that lost weight think you had problems from drugs in your fat cells being released into your system? Any other thoughts on what helps weight loss?

This post was higher in the thread but I didn't see a response to it. I have the same question about the drugs being stored in fat cells. I gained about 20 lbs during withdrawal and am also concerned. 

After being on (over 25) psychiatric meds continuously during a 16 year period, I began in July 2014 to taper off 1mg Klonopin. In September 2014, I came off Brintellix, Trazadone, Zoloft, Proprityline & Hydroxyzine in 2 weeks on my own without knowledge on how to taper properly. I've been off all psych "meds" since 10/2014 and am currently experiencing protracted withdrawal.

Medication history: Vibryd, Wellbutrin, Lithium, Prozac, Xanax, Celexa, Cymbalta, Trileptal, Lamictal, Abilify, Zoloft, Trazadone, Citalopram, Effexor, Seroquel, Klonopin, Paxil, Brintellix, Protriptyline, Lexapro, Pristiq, Buspar, Clonidine, Lorazepam, Notriptyline, Hydroxyzine, Serzone.

Introduction: http://bit.ly/1SIxWwl.

• 2 months later...

I know that eating helps my mental and physical state and I have to do it.  I'm really struggling with food right now - nothing sounds good and I just don't want to eat.  Having been on Remeron, and before that amitryptyline, and enjoyed food so very much for so many years, I can say this is a very unusual and unaccustomed place for me to be.

I was looking at the nutritional ingredients of Ensure and other supplements.  Nothing really in there I can tolerate - sugar, vitamins, etc.  I'm looking for ideas as to what I can eat, or preferably just drink.  Trying to stay low-histamine as well as I'm tending toward hives these days.  Usually I can force down some oatmeal and a banana in the mornings, and have been trying to eat some cottage cheese and crackers at lunch.  And frankly just planning what I'm going to eat is sometimes too stressful.

Have ya'll experienced this problem?

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

I had little appetite when I jumped off too..along with little ability to digest things. I'd suggest smoothies, but you'd have to figure out what things you could tolerate. Thinking things like almond milk, chia or hemp seeds for protein, maybe a bit of something green like lettuce or chard, and a fruit that's lower in sugar like apples. I sometimes add things that are supposed to be antihistamine like zucchini and ginger. 

I'm in a very low appetite mode right now too...doing small amounts more frequently. What proteins can you manage, given the histamine issue? I keep small containers of unsweetened applesauce and will combine with nuts or seeds as snack. Some people can use coconut milk yogurt...I didn't like it that much and wasn't able to digest the last time I tried it...

Remeron for depression. Started at 7.5 mg. in 2005. Gradual increases over 8 years, up to 45 mg. in 2012.Began tapering in June 2013. Went from 45 to 30 mg in the first 3-4 months. Held for a couple of months.Started tapering by 3.75 mg every month or 2, with some longer holding periods. Eventually went down to 3.75 mg. about April 2014. Stopped taking Remeron August 2014. Developed issues with histamine a week after stopping--symptoms reduced through diet and a few supplements. Currently having issues with a few foods. Most of the histamine intolerance has resolved or is at least, in remission.

Current Medications:

Current Supplements: Cannabis (CBD and THC), Vitamin C, D, Quercetin, CoQ10, Tart Cherry, Probiotic, Phytoplankton oil, magnesium, Methyl B. What has helped me most: spending time in nature, qi gong, exercise, healthy diet, meditation, IV vitamins, homeopathy, massage, acupuncture, chiropractic, music, and cuddling my cats..

My introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/8459-mirtazapine-withdrawal-freespirit/#entry144282

Please note: I am not a therapist or medical practitioner. Any suggestions offered come solely from my personal experience in recovering from childhood trauma, therapy, and AD use. Please seek appropriate care for yourself.

“After a cruel childhood, one must reinvent oneself. Then re-imagine the world.”
Mary Oliver

I have some days where I have nerve pain in the pit of my stomach below my belly button, along with not wanting to eat anything. I recomend what freesprit said try smoothies. What hepled for me was haveing small meals through the day

2013-July 1st Citalopram 20mg ()

2013-August 19th ended Citalopram cold turkey

med free.  (Took them for 7 weeks)

When I was a child, I spoke as a child,

I understood as a child, I thought as a child;

But when I became a man,

I put my childish things away.

- 1 Corinthians 13:11

Free, I can handle most meats. I heard nuts were iffy on low histamine, with the exception of macadamias. I do love nuts (at least I did when I liked food, lol).Do you tolerate them well? I do ok with eggs although I can't hardly stand to eat a boiled egg anymore unless it's in a sandwich of some sort. Unsure on cheeses. I understand non aged cheese is ok, so have been eating cottage cheese and string cheese, this last I'm really not liking much after eating it all week. I'm wondering about coconut milk. The canned type, which is pure.

Cookson, eating more often is a good idea. I need to try to remember to do it. I forget.

When I say I do ok with them, I mean they don't seem to cause problems but I just don't want to eat.

1986-2005:  Limbitrol (15 Librium/ 50 Elavil combo) 1986-2005, 2005-successfully tapered Librium

January of 2009-2011:  Mirtazapine 30 mg; Cymbalta 60 mg; tapered cymbalta fall/winter of 2011/12

March 2012-March 2014:  Mirtazapine, and various trials of Celexa, Zoloft, Wellbutrin and Lexapro; began Lexapro taper

9/18/14-Lexapro .7 mg; Mirtazapine 30 mg; 9/29/14 ditched Lexapro; added 25 mg Nortryptyline began mirtazapine taper

11/4/14:  Mirtazapine 15 mg; Nortryptyline about 12.5 mg; 1/17/15:  Mirtazapine 7.5 mg; Nortryptyline 2.5 mg, then jumped nortryptyline.

2/10:  Mirtazapine 1.875, 2/11:  Re-established at 6.75, 3/19-6.0 mg, 4/9-5.8, 4/17-6.3; 4/21 tried to re-establish at 7.5

4/23/15-Back to 5.8; 5/5-5.1mg; 5/16-4.6 mg; 5/24-4.2 mg; 6/2-3.9 mg; 6/9-3.6 mg; 6/16-3.3 mg; 6/23-3 mg

6/28-2.8 mg; 7/2-2.5 mg; 7/4-Jumped, due to increased misery from the drug itself.

In a spell of panic due to agitation and insomnia, went through a few days each of 10, then 5 mg amitryptyline and 5 mg librium. Did not work out well. Horrible insomnia now.

I couldn't have nuts at the beginning..or maybe I was just eating so many high histamine foods, that it wasn't possible then. Now, almonds, sunflower seeds, pecans and even peanut butter are okay. I have to be moderate with them though and unsalted only. Salt can be a problem with histamine for some people.

Eggs are okay for me, but went through a phase where I almost gagged when I ate them...but you need something for protein. I wasn't able to eat any kind of beans (they are okay on some lists and not on others). I've had black beans twice this week and been okay. I have been able to have cream cheese once in awhile now, but have not tried any other cheese in 8 or 9 months.

I have coconut milk every day. Check the preservatives in whatever you buy..for awhile, I had to make my own from fresh coconut and also was making my own almond milk. Coconut milk is fast and easy to make...don't worry, you don't have to crack a coconut to do it..you just use packaged, unsweetened and some hot water in a blender or food processor. It tastes better I think, but I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen!

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

• Moderator Emeritus

At the moment I'm eating a lot of ready made, organic soups, when I can get them, I've had no real appetite for a long time, but I get hunger pains, so I know I need to eat something. In earlier withdrawal, I experimented with organic baby foods and formulas.

Something else I do is buy a cooked chicken, take all the meat off the bones and keep it in the fridge, its easy to eat a little at a time and I will also use it along with other ingredients in wraps, usually, ready made salads.

I've had mixed results with smoothies, they would probably work well if you can find a mix of ingredients which suit you. I went through an oatmeal stage, but can't eat it now. I find ricotta cheese to be versatile. I sometimes add a little mashed banana and some organic honey.

What has worked best for me is to try and make sure I have options in the house, and then I don't plan what I'm going to eat, but wait until I actually feel hungry, even though I don't have an appetite for anything, the hunger feelings make it a little easier to decide and be able to throw something together.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Free, your coconut milk - do you just eat it plain?  I tried that last night w/some pistachios and had a hard time with it.  This morning I stirred it into my oatmeal for extra oomph and a bit of protein.

Petunia, I love your ideas; however I'm thinking I'm pretty sensitive to msg and was shocked to find how prevalent it is, even in natural foods, even organic chicken broth.  Did that bother you at all during w/d?

Maybe it was the pistachios that was the problem?? I have it with hot cereal or smoothies and in my morning coffee. Some coconut milk has carrageenan  or guar gum, both of which can be problematic for certain people.

While having cooked chicken to add to things is a good option, you might find freezing it is a better choice. Any leftovers in the fridge get bacteria and while that's not a problem for most people, with the histamine issue, it can be. For a period of time, I didn't eat anything leftover in the fridge. I still try to minimize that as much as possible.

There are some types of protein powder you might be able to handle. I read there is coconut protein, though I haven't been able to find it here. Whey protein is considered safe in terms of histamine. I've used hemp protein at times. The main issue is finding one that is not processed in the same place where more problematic ones might also be made. Nothing like making life more complicated.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Not the pistachios; just texture and taste of coconut milk.  It's pure milk, canned, no additives.

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm thinking I'm pretty sensitive to msg and was shocked to find how prevalent it is, even in natural foods, even organic chicken broth.  Did that bother you at all during w/d?

I'm sure I've had bad reactions to any msg I've accidentally eaten, I know I've had increased symptoms when I've eaten it and have known about it.

I'm still in protracted withdrawal now. What freespirit wrote about not eating leftovers is a good idea if you are sensitive to histamines.

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Alternative milks can be an acquired taste. I didn't like almond milk at first, but have found a couple of brands that are fine. But then, I don't just drink it by the glass either. There are differences between brands of coconut milk too. I found homemade to be the most creamy and did not get lumpy in the fridge. What was it about the taste and texture you didn't like? I'd say try a different brand, but it's not easy finding milks without guar gum in them.

Current Medications:

Mary Oliver

Petunia, I am bad about leftovers. I should cook one at a time but it feels overwhelming to prepare them for freezing this,way.

About the whey, it would be ideal. However I guess there is conflicting info about its histamine qualities. I'm kinda scared to try it.

Free, I've just never eaten coconut milk before. I think it's probably an acquired taste. I did ok this morning with some in my oatmeal though.

I'm seriously considering baby food...

Before acute withdrawal started for me (approximately 1 year after my first withdrawal period when I went CT off all my meds) I had decided to start an exercise program. I started jogging and was trying to gradually work up the distance. Even though i was plagued by palpitations, I seemed to be doing fine. I added in bike riding on the days I did not want to jog and that went well too. I have a cat (a 20 lb bruiser) and a wire basket attached to the back of my bike so I added him into my routine. All I remember before I became acutely ill was the palpitations were getting worse (nearly constant), I really pushed it with the cat one day (went 2 laps around my housing area instead of 1) and had started to paint my living room (paint fumes).

I awoke one morning to gut wrenching anxiety, inner vibrations, and lost the ability to lie down and sleep for about 2 months. (The palpitations were a clue that my system was starting to destabilize, but I did not know this). Over the course of the next year I lost a lot of weight and my clothes were hanging on me (I could take my skinny jeans off without unbuttoning or unzipping them). I think the weight loss was due to the effects of high cortisol. I stopped all activity except for a 1/2 hour gentle daily walk which I made myself do even when I did not want to (and that was often) because leaving the house was agony.

Fast forward to the beginning of the second year off meds (or thereabouts), I recovered my sleep and more of my well-being and my weight came back. But then I entered a bad emotional period (common in withdrawal) where I was 'depressed', suicidal and seemingly 'frozen' as far as activity goes. I gained all the weight back (and a few pounds more) and at my heaviest in April of this year I was at 166 pounds on a 5'3" small boned frame, just 2 pounds shy of my heaviest weight while on ADs. And every bone and joint and tendon in my body ached and screamed whenever I moved because of all the inactivity. I had swollen ankles and hands too. I am sure a doc would have put me on a diuretic without a moment's hesitation in the absence of any heart problems but I refused to see one. I knew it was related to my activity level.

I started a job that involved a lot of physical activity and it was sheer agony every day for a month, just doing it. At the same time a friend turned me on to a calorie and weight tracking app (for Droid and 'i' called 'Lose it'). I began the diet and determined my weight goal to be 120# (I haven't weighed that since my 20's!) and the app told me I was permitted 1245 calories a day if I wanted to lose 1 lb a week. It would take nearly a year to reach my goal. I did not factor anything in for activity. Just kept pretty faithfully to my calorie allotment and ate anything I wanted, even ice cream, as long as I faithfully recorded it.

Since April 23 I have lost 18 pounds just doing calorie reduction. But then I left the job and was back to sitting in my chair staring at my computer for long periods of time. The second week I exceeded my calorie allotment in one week by nearly 800 cals and I could see the writing on the wall if I kept that up. Fat city. So I started bike riding almost every day. (I forgot to mention that I had stopped my daily walk after acute wd subsided). On the days I did that I added that to my calorie tracker and what that does is it ADDS to your allotted calories which you can either eat or bank for accelerated weight loss. Activity burns calories. (All this is pretty elementary but I never really understood it on a practical level before until I saw it on my computer screen).

I had stopped losing weight after I left the job and even after I added in the exercise until one day it finally popped. Went from weighing 150 for a month to 148. Yay! I used to weigh myself every day and got used to see a fluctuation of nearly 5 pounds during a week. That 2 pound loss was a stunner.

So here's the reason for my post: a way to calculate the amount of exercise (work) being done. I knew roughly the distance of my bike rides but in the absence of a speedometer, I did not really know how fast I was going. You burn more calories the harder you work in a given amount of time so this is a good thing to know. My friend told me about an app built into her fancy-schmancy galaxy Note that uses the GPS to track distance and also hooks into the accelerometer chip to count steps. (It even has a sensor plate on the back to count your pulse but it won't make you rich and famous, darn!) The app I downloaded for my phone is called 'Pacer', it counts your steps. But I noticed it also has a GPS feature so I turned it on for the return leg of my ride this morning and got the info I needed to put into my calorie tracker. I had been estimating an hour's riding at a leisurely pace which gave me a measly 149 calories burned which in actuality I was doing a 'slow' pace (10-11 mph) for a distance of 4.62 miles in 51 minutes. burning 341 calories, a difference of 200 calories! (Nearly a full dish more ice cream!)

You just don't get it till you get it, seems to be the case for me. Hope this helps.

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to be losing lots of muscle in my legs. They even look completely different and of course the weakness in them still comes and goes but is mostly there all the time. Anyone have this loss of weight after taper? This is not paxil weight as i never gained any weight on the drug. Starting to worry here...

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

If you re like many people including me who were unable to tolerate much activity/exercise when WD was bad the muscles are simply atrophying with underuse. It takes one week of bed rest to lose 10% of muscle mass. As you get better you will gradually be able to build them back up. Unlikely to be anything sinister here

Paxil 10mg 21/2 years to June 2012 after a 2 month taper

Thanks Cress, i never did bed rest and i work every day construction. I just feel im getting weaker and weaker. This is really disturbing. My legs are like jello and losing mass. Getting a little scared now. Im thinking this triggered some sort of neuromuscular disease. Im 5 months completely off now. I always got this weak leg feeling when i tapered too fas and reinstatement would relieve it. I think that if when i reinstated it and it helped that it must be withdrawal. I ceel like im wasting away. I did get this when i first started this crap for a month. I can eat sooo much and not gain weight. Thanks again for stopping by Cress...

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

Get it checked out by doctors to be on the safe side or it will be a focus for your anxiety. WD mimics all kinds of terrible diseases but it doesn't mean we re immune from real ones. I never did bed rest either but my muscles have shrunk and I had terrible problems with weakness, jelly legs, fatigue etc. didn't have as active a job as you. At 38 months off am on holiday with my family and walking two hours a day with only a bit of stiffness and tiredness so finally its getting better.

Get checked out then at least you ll know its only WD and try and get some rest when you can

• 1 month later...

Hi--am new here (have no idea why the text is so huge). I gained 40 lbs in 3 months when I first took Prozac back in 1988. Have been on just about all antidepressants for nearly 30 years. Am presently withdrawing from Effexor xr and am rapidly gaining weight. I can barely fit into jeans that I wore two months ago and can't fit into most of at all. Has anyone else had this experience? I expected to lose weight and this is rather upsetting. I should add that I frequently have weird and opposite reactions to meds or at least extremely rare side effects so that might explain this. But would really like to know if anyone else has experienced this and what they did about it. Thanks very much.

Hi--am new here (have no idea why the text is so huge). I gained 40 lbs in 3 months when I first took Prozac back in 1988. Have been on just about all antidepressants for nearly 30 years. Am presently withdrawing from Effexor xr and am rapidly gaining weight. I can barely fit into jeans that I wore two months ago and can't fit into most of at all. Has anyone else had this experience? I expected to lose weight and this is rather upsetting. I should add that I frequently have weird and opposite reactions to meds or at least extremely rare side effects so that might explain this. But would really like to know if anyone else has experienced this and what they did about it. Thanks very much.

SSRI s can affect your bodies sugar/insulin regulation. Paxil made me feel hypo and I was constantly eating to just feel reasonable and this got worse in WD . Guess I gained about 21lbs. In WD cannot tolerate sugar have given it all up including fruit .no simple carbs. What has happened is my sugar control and appetite have normalised to pre ssri levels and do far I ve lost about 16lbs at the rate of about half s pound a week . The only welcome side effect of WD . Before this I was craving sweet stuff and needing to eat it was beyond my control . Having a problem with weight is not your fault. I don't know if you are having the same problem as me or if you think its something else

• 1 month later...

Is anyone else experiencing major appetite changes sometimes daily?  Yesterday I was hungry but nauseous at the same time so eating was a challenge...today I am craving large amounts of food.  Does this ever level out?

1995 - 2015 antidepressants and antianxiety medicine
Multiple failed attempts to quit/taper anti d/anti anxiety meds since 2008

June 17, 2016 began prozac bridge to get off of effexor xr, stopped effexor xr on June 24, 2016, could not tolerate prozac due to severe side effects so I had to stop it  Currently...300 mg ER of lithium, 1 mg of estradiol, 60 mg propranolol ER, Fish oil 2 x a day, Magnesium Glycinate,  zinc, vitamin c, vitamin d, NAC

• Moderator Emeritus

Appetite changes are a common effect of starting and stopping antidepressants, see:  Appetite, Weight Loss/Weight Gain - Symptoms and self ...  *topics merged

Edited by Petunia
updated

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I'm struggling quite a bit to eat at the moment, I have no appetite and not much saliva with all the cortisol spikes. I'm trying to force bits of food down so I don't get sick but not doing very well. Also not very strong at the moment so not up to cooking much (I live alone). 

Just wondered if anyone has any tips or things to suggest that are easy to eat with a dry mouth. I tried a banana today but I think my stomach is a bit acidy after it. Haven't managed anything else. 

2010: Adverse reaction to citalopram/suicidal.

2010-2014: Venlafaxine doses 75-150-300. Began to cause heart palpitations.

2014: Adverse side effects from Sertraline

2014: Adverse reaction to Mirtazipine/suicidal. CT withdrawal. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2015: Half dose of Lorazepam restarted all the WD symptoms. 

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current Supplements: Omega 3 & Vitamin C, magnesium. 
Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

When I was going through this stage of recovery I had the same problem and tried lots of different things to get some food into me... oatmeal (porridge) with mashed banana and almond meal, baby food, baby formula, smoothies, warm milk with honey, plain rice, pre-made salads from my deli section.

I think its a matter of trying whatever you can manage from day to day until your strength and better functioning returns.

You may find some more ideas here:  Appetite, Weight Loss/Weight Gain - Symptoms and self ...  *topics merged

Edited by Petunia
updated

My Introduction Thread

Brief Summary

Thanks for the ideas Petunia. I'm working on the basis that two spoons of food is better than no spoons of food just to get something into me. These ideas will help. 

2014: Accute adverse reaction to one prozac pill. Body & brain went on fire. Full WD

2017: Bad reaction to stopping propranolol beta blockers. Violent shaking WD again.
2023: Severe adrenaline surges triggered by low frequency sound/vibration next door. Heart rate going dangerously high so now 25mg atenolol.

Current other medications: Metformin (type ii diabetic), Lymecycline (for rosacea), Atenolol 25mg. 

What do you folks suggest with chronic Abd pain?

I'm losing weight. I've had to start the scd beyond intro diet doing mono meals because of digestive issues and chronic pain ...like spasms and gastritis at times..always in my gallbladder area...

Is there anything to calm the gut or gallbladder down?

I can't do any dairy right now and am trying to see what foods I can tolerate.

No dgl because its a dao enzyme blocker.. I'm struggling with some histamine issues as well

Started Zoloft 150 mg 1997 for symptoms of PTSD. 1998 on Ativan for about 2 months. Came off zoloft around 2004. Had terrible feelings of anxiety, loneliness, depression, eating disorder. Hospitalized and placed on Lexapro. Struggled with feelings of dread and SI. Came off lexapro in 2008 to try to have a baby. 2009 miscarried twins. Very depressed and SI. Hospitalized and placed on Cymbalta, remeron and "top" something for about a month. Came off all those without tapers and restarted zoloft 75mg. Then weaned off quick taper. 2010 restarted Lexapro for pms. Within 3 days dread and urges of anxiety, SI returned. Immediately went off of it and restarted zoloft 50 mg. 2013 tapered off Zoloft quickly within 2 months. Used Amino acids to help. I did not know I was experiencing withdrawal symptoms: insomnia, irritability, exhaustion,tinnitus,very sensitive to sounds, very sensitive to scents and chemicals. Severe GI symptoms July 2014. Pain and bloating with all veggies, lost weight, job, marriage. Emotional liability, extreme fear,not feeling safe, trauma resurfacing. Main issue now is severe GI issues, unable to advance foods, extreme small intestine sensitivities, pain, food intolerances, histamine issues, bile reflux, gastritis, gallbladder and liver pain,tinnitus,unable to tolerate supplements at this time. Low energy due to malnourished. Thought I had SIBO. Oh..and I just entered menopause at 47..no period for 1 year.

• Moderator Emeritus

Since in w/d my favourite food has been bircher muesli.  You soak natural/raw muesli in milk or water overnight.  In the morning it is very soft and moist.  I have it with milk and yoghurt and grated apple.  It goes down really smoothly, plus all the ingredients in it are good for you.  Yoghurt is good for your gut, nuts and seeds in the museli good for all sorts of things. 

My appetite got weird in early w/d.  I had trouble telling if I was hungry or not.  I sorted it out when I learned about the vagus nerve  Basically our gut, heart and brain are all connected by this nerve and there are simple things we can do to keep it functioning better.

Good luck,

KarenB

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Thanks KarenB. I'm struggling with museli right now, can't get it down. Maybe when the symptoms are less severe. Will look at the vagus nerve and see what I can do to support that. Thank you. 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy