Neuroplastic

Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

AprilShowers

I've found I can manage a cereal bar (Special K Red Berries) in the mornings when I can't eat anything else. Not sure if it's good to have something that sugary really but at the moment as I can barely get anything down it's good to feel like I've eaten something to give my body strength. Just thought I'd pop that info here in case anyone else is looking for something that might help. 

SquirrellyGirl

I would think protein shakes would be ideal in this situation :-) Easy to get down, and providing nutrition you need to keep healing.

AprilShowers

Thanks SquirrellyGirl. I shall investigate! 

SingingSnakes

I used to be on 200mg zoloft, currently on 25mg. Going to stop taking them in a week. I am also on 30mg Tolvon, which i am also going to ask my doctor if i can stop taking them as well. The thing is that i gained a lot of weight sinse i started on these meds, which is the worst thing that could have happened in my opinion. I am getting so depressed because of this weight gain. I have cravings, but i NEVER give in to them, in fact i don't eat anything but maybe some fruit a day because if i eat anymore than that i will gain. I excersise for about an hour a day, but after months of excersise and not eating much, i still don't lose any weight what so ever. I can't explain how depressing and horrifying this is for me, the most important thing for me is to not get fat (i know how stupid this sounds, but it is how it is). Will my weight start dropping after i quit on these meds? Why do i still not lose weight even if i excersise and eat basically nothing, is it because of the meds? Does anyone know anything about this? If you do, then please help me.

Love from me <3

Meimeiquest

The book Adrenal Reset Diet might resonate with you, I don't know

Faithgrl

Hi all,

I saw a topic being raised on weight loss when the meds are tapered or stopped. For me, I lost a dress size (size 12 to almost 10) when I went on Cipramil and now that I am tapering I am not losing any weight and feeling hungry and tired alot, possibly due to the diarrhea that I am experiencing almost every other day.

I am really concerned that I will gain weight coming off meds. Has anyone had any experience with weight loss on meds and subsequent gains when coming off? Not that I have a choice...the bloody Cipramil stopped working!

GardeniaBlossom

I gained 20 lbs almost immediately after I started taking antidepressants. During the time I've been in withdrawal (which has been 15 months), I gained 25 lbs. It's been distressing for me. I haven't been able to exercise much, and my doctors have not given me any explanation as to why I have gained so much weight. I was on a benzo and 6 other drugs: ads and mood stabilizers when I came off all of them last year. I recently discovered that I may be deficient in several minerals that pink Himalayan salt provides. So, I've been adding that to my food and also drinking it as a tonic (in water) before bed. I'm concerned that I may start retaining water, though, because I've increased my sodium intake. The positive aspect is that when I use the pink Himalayan salt, I sleep better and generally feel stronger, more integrated, and have more energy. So, I can exercise more and feel better overall.

During the first 6 months in wd, my appetite increased significantly. I didn't try to limit my caloric intake though, as I was trying to cope with so many other symptoms.

Faithgrl

Thanks karenb that's the thread I was looking for !

Petunia

Several similar topics merged.

Sarabera

I've been doing quite a bit of research on the side effects of the medication I am on--amitryptiline--which is known as one of the most fattening antidepressants you can take. Through constant vigilance and activity, I never got over 150 lbs., but had a very hard time losing weight. A few years ago my sister talked me into monitoring my blood sugar (glucose). I was startled to see that I had several readings that were 200 or more (a healthy blood sugar level after a meal should never go past 140). I'm relatively healthy, very active, and I didn't see any good reason why my blood sugars should be so volatile.

Another problem that I had was severe sleepiness after high carbohydrate meals. For a long time I assumed this was because of high blood sugars, but I could not correlate the sleep feeling with the high readings, the sleepiness would come on after my BG (blood glucose) had already dropped quite a bit. I did correlate more of these sleepy incidences with higher dosage levels, so I knew it was drug related. I started to put the pieces together when I found a study showing that serotonin is released at the same time as insulin is released from the pancreas. Therefore after a large insulin release (such as after a hit of carbs) results in higher serotonin, which isn't taken up quickly due to the amitryptiline blocking re-uptake, thus causing sleepiness. Exercise, which quickly cuts down blood glucose levels, can ameliorate this effect.

After seeing the good results that my sister had on a low-carb diet,\, and doing quite a bit of research, I started cutting out carbs also. During this time, I was still measuring blood glucose levels. A low carb diet has enabled me to lose 16 pounds fairly easily (which calorie restriction and exercise never could). Now from more research on amitryptiline, I see that unstable blood glucose (one site used the term "significant hyperglycemia") is one of the side effects. This is all starting to make sense now. A low carb diet has been the only way for me to stabilize my blood sugar levels, and cut down on insulin release. From all the reading I have done, high insulin levels are responsible for weight gain, much more so than overall calorie intake. My diet is actually low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat (high protein is not good), so my calorie intake is not less than it was before. Luckily I feel this is the best diet I can be on for health, with or without ADs.

I would encourage anyone who is having problems with rapid weight gain to monitor their blood glucose levels. If your readings about 45 minutes to 1 hour after a meal are higher than 140, and especially if they are ever over 200, it is likely that the ADs are affecting your blood sugar. You will quickly see that all carbs affect it the same, no matter whether it is sugar or whole wheat. High readings like this will eventually result in insulin resistance, and could eventually turn into diabetes. Another gift from our wonderful drugs! If anyone is interested in pursuing this further, I can recommend some excellent books that are a bit technical, but I think well worthwhile.

nivek

hello guys... not really sure what to do loosing weight like crazy during wd i'm about 138lbs was 144 2wks ago at doc's office I'm 5'9 medium build should probably weight 160-165. Seeing nutritionist she put me on paleo diet because of terrible gas bloating, stomach pain, cramps from Lexapro wd. wd hit's me in the gut mostly. she also has me on a no dairy sugar or grains but I'm loosing to much weight.. Going to see or call her tomorrow not sure what to do. still loosing weight.If I eat more dairy, grains and sugar I seem to have more gas and terrible bloating???? my metabolism seems revved because of wd have seen post about weight loss....not sure what to do eating about 2500 calories a day but still loosing weight....Help would be great.....TY Nivek

legan

Any body notice hunger and increased appetite like me . Im craving every thing

Roxyrich

Hi legan. I've had this,I'm hungry all the time, regardless of how I feel.

If I'm having a good day, I get hungry but it feels normal, but on bad days I feel anxious when I'm hungry. I just hope as time goes by, the hunger goes down.

Trichotomous

I gained 20-40 pounds on Paxil. The larger the dose, the greater the weight gain. When on 20 mg/day, I was more active than ever before in my life, but ballooned by 40 pounds. I was able to get to 20 pounds overweight when reducing the dosage to 5 mg/day. Since quitting, I've continued losing weight for months. I know that I'm under 200 now.

Others have noted that you actually can lose weight while medicated by cutting carbs. It's quite true. But no fun.

Hibari

I just posted on my own threat about my Remeron weight gain in which I have gained 21lbs.    I went on a lowish carb diet and three weeks later not 1lb.

I am just holding the intention that when I finally come of it, the weight will drop away.  I also am on Lamictal and I don't know how much that affects my weight. 

Staying on low carb eating to keep the food cravings away. 

Xavier

I became flabby with 40 pounds in two weeks when the polydrugging started. No exercise works, even if I deprive myself in the diet and don't compensate further. Every part is flabby, until areas like face, neck, hands etc. My joints are also numb and no longer feel the pain during the effort. Tendinitis happen often and quickly even with mild effort.

Did you experience the same issues that eventually reversed ?

Faithgrl

Hey all,

Just wanted to report that after a phase of wanting to eat everything and gaining a dress size, appetite has disappeared for the last 2 weeks...In fact its almost not there alot of the time and the only reason I remember to eat is that 1) its meal time and 2) I get REALLY tired.

I noticed that I need to keep track of my food in myfitnesspal as I have NO idea whether I have eaten too little or too much during a particular day...I don't seem to be particularly in touch with my body and the only thing that I am doing with the food is thinking - what would a normal person eat and its mealtime?

I am happy to report that I fit back into my usual clothes (yay!) but not being able to feel how hungry I am is abit funny (and VERY unusual for me). So for those who are gaining weight on tapering...it seems to get better but it is in phases?

KarenB

If you haven't already, have a read about healing your Vagus nerve.  It is one of the things responsible for sending hunger signals between stomach and brain.  It gets damaged by SSRIs, but can be healed. 

BeyondMeds also has really good info on this:  http://beyondmeds.com/tag/vagus-nerve/

Plus, fixing it will also help in many other areas.

Ali

I find it really hard to cut out sugar when I'm feeling low. it's my main 'go to' food. I keep trying to reduce it, but crave the comfort terribly. :(

I know it's doing me no good, and a lot of it has become habit, so I'm going to go for small steps of breaking the bad habits, such as my 9am bar of chocolate!!

KarenB

Have you tried chewing on real liquorice root?  Sweet and tasty!

Sarabera

I find it really hard to cut out sugar when I'm feeling low. it's my main 'go to' food. I keep trying to reduce it, but crave the comfort terribly. :(

I know it's doing me no good, and a lot of it has become habit, so I'm going to go for small steps of breaking the bad habits, such as my 9am bar of chocolate!!

Ali, you can find substitutes to satisfy your sugar cravings, or at least cut down on it quite a bit. I try to stay away from artificial sweeteners, but they are probably better than large amounts of sugar. I've weaned myself off of sugar, and I had a terrible sweet tooth, could not even get through 1 day without it for a long time. Now a piece of fruit is often enough.

If you are craving chocolate--look into stevia sweetened chocolate bars, such as Lily's. They are available at some "whole food" type stores and also on the web. Having something like that is really not terrible for you.

Ali

Thanks Karen and Sarabera. I will see if I can source the liquorice root. I think I need to bring myself off anything that resembles chocolate, as I'm a real addict, and I think it'll send me back to the real thing. I gave up chocolate for lent one year, and just ate bags of fudge and marshmallows instead!

I've heard that once you come off sugar, the cravings stop and like you mentioned, Sarabera, fruit seems enough. I just don,t want to let go of it but I really need to look after myself properly now, so one step at a time, I'll do it.

Karen, that muesli sounds great. Very healthy. Being on this site makes me realise how poor my self care is!!

Xavier

I became flabby with 40 pounds in two weeks when the polydrugging started. No exercise works, even if I deprive myself in the diet and don't compensate further. Every part is flabby, until areas like face, neck, hands etc. My joints are also numb and no longer feel the pain during the effort. Tendinitis happen often and quickly even with mild effort.

Did you experience the same issues that eventually reversed ?

Sarabera

Exercise is not very effective for weight loss. It helps just a bit, and will probably make you feel better, but don't wear yourself out trying to lose weight! Try not to use painkillers if you can. Eating the right diet is much more effective. If you are of a certain age, things start to poof out, get flabby and shrivel up for just about everyone! If that is the case, you might look into bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. You will have the best results with with weight loss by restricting carbs, eating adequate protein, and good quality fats. For sure dump the sugar, alcohol and tobacco, etc...

Xavier

Exercise is not very effective for weight loss. It helps just a bit, and will probably make you feel better, but don't wear yourself out trying to lose weight! Try not to use painkillers if you can. Eating the right diet is much more effective. If you are of a certain age, things start to poof out, get flabby and shrivel up for just about everyone! If that is the case, you might look into bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. You will have the best results with with weight loss by restricting carbs, eating adequate protein, and good quality fats. For sure dump the sugar, alcohol and tobacco, etc...

I became like that overnight. It's not due to age unless it was accelerating aging induced by drugs.

Horns85

Lexapro caused me to gain about 15-20lbs despite CrossFit, Gaps diet and cutting out Alcohol. Frustrating! Did anyone slowly lose this weight as the got lower in their dosage? Thanks!

Edited by ChessieCat
merged with similar topic

London1979

I would love to know how quickly the weight gain comes off - have just started reducing on sertraline and am longing for the weight to come off.

Edited by ChessieCat

Hibari

I don't know about the two drugs you mention but my weight has not come down as I have come down off of Mirtazapine, which is notorious for weight gain.  .  I put on 21lbs in 10 months and have tried different food plans to get the pounds to budge but no go.  It's a very puffy, kind of weight-I can see how my face is puffed up.   Right now I am just trying to maintain without gaining more.

I have been told by members on this site that weight comes off once you come off the drugs and that makes me feel hopeful.  I also have read that on the web in different places.  

Edited by ChessieCat

Toulouse

I've lost about 28 lbs since getting off of Paxil 6 months ago.  But I was also dealing with some kind of food intolerance as well.  So I cut out caffeine (I always lose weight when I do that), alcohol, and anything with gluten, soy or dairy.  I guess if you do that there's no helping but to lose weight.  When I was on Paxil, I worked out a lot, tried different diets, and nothing seemed to move the scale downward.

Edited by ChessieCat

Hibari

I've lost about 28 lbs since getting off of Paxil 6 months ago.  But I was also dealing with some kind of food intolerance as well.  So I cut out caffeine (I always lose weight when I do that), alcohol, and anything with gluten, soy or dairy.  I guess if you do that there's no helping but to lose weight.  When I was on Paxil, I worked out a lot, tried different diets, and nothing seemed to move the scale downward.

Did the weight just start coming off?  I've read that on different sites and was curious about your experience.  

Edited by ChessieCat

Toulouse

Did the weight just start coming off?  I've read that on different sites and was curious about your experience.  

It sort of just melted off.  Now my weight is stable.  I was miserable for the first couple months - cutting caffeine as well as alcohol and the dietary restrictions. But I got used to it and felt much better by the 3rd month. Cutting the dairy was huge. Also the gluten free diet made a big difference in my food sensitivities as well as the weight loss.

Edited by ChessieCat

Hibari

It sort of just melted off.  Now my weight is stable.  I was miserable for the first couple months - cutting caffeine as well as alcohol and the dietary restrictions. But I got used to it and felt much better by the 3rd month. Cutting the dairy was huge. Also the gluten free diet made a big difference in my food sensitivities as well as the weight loss.

Glad to hear it melted off!  I understand the part about caffeine and the other dietary changes.  I look forward to having my body back.

Edited by ChessieCat

means

I have this huge problem i can't lose weight. I count everything and do sports. I eat 1000 - 1100 calories to maintain weight, if i eat more i gain weight. I tried eating no more than 900 calories and i lost 1 kg in 1.5 month! It's frustrating, i can't look in the mirror, i eat almost nothing but that doesn't help. So all this advice like "cut sugar" seems funny to me as i eat so little (45 gramms of carbs) but still no result. I'm on haloperidol and planning to get off it. Guys, will i be able to lose weight when i'm off this drug? I'm losing hope. Or this effect can't be fixed?

Edited by ChessieCat

SkyBlue

Means, I just learned that 800-1600 calories/day is considered a starvation-level diet. There is something else going on besides your calorie intake. 45g carbs is also exceptionally low.

Edited by ChessieCat