Neuroplastic

Weight gain, weight loss, appetite changes, hunger

Weasel

I had no appetite for a while lost 20 lbs in 2 mos but then I reinstated I have been back on meds since May. I am feeling hungry now but still have some food sensitivities and can't eat a ton. I am still having some mild WD but it is bearable. I am eating organic no sugar, dairy or alcohol. I recommend it highly. It has helped me heal. I am out 9 months. It definitely gets better!

Davegirl

Thank you, Weasel!  I have been struggling with autoimmune issues for several years now so I've been more conscious about my diet.  (Also, ironically why I wanted to come off the meds...trying to be healthier and stop poisoning myself unnecessarily).  I consume as little sugar as possible, except for fruit.  Very little dairy (become lactose intolerant as an adult, but now I wonder if it had to do with the meds).  Dairy has been bad for my autoimmune inflammation issues.  Organic as much as I can or my wallet will allow.  I drink very little alcohol, very rarely, and it has been a couple of months since I've had any.  You mentioned you are back on the meds..is that what helped with your appetite?  I'm concerned my appetite won't return unless I DO go back on the meds. :/  Anyway, thanks for you input!

Weasel

I don't know if it was the meds or just stabilizing my system that gave me back my appetite. I have a feeling it was both. Here is a recipe I drink every day. It is rather inexpensive to make and is very good for you!

1/4 cup oats

1 tsp olive oil

4 tbsp organic peanut butter

1 banana

2 cups coconut milk

1 medium avocado

Great smoothie ! Easy on the system!

Hugs and prayers!

Davegirl

Thanks, Weasel!  I have a bunch of smoothie recipes but they were for when I was TRYING to lose weight...lol!  I will add this one to the repertoire.  I'm sure my stomach has shrunken a bit from not eating much the past month.  I'm trying to stay hydrated as well, so I become full pretty easily.  Doesn't help the situation!  

rowinghippy

I haven't found anything like this on this site so here it goes:

Quick note: I was recovering from anorexia when I went on celexa, which messed up some hormones and my hungers even more than what anorexia had done.

Once I began my taper, my brain hasn't ever fully registered satiaty. Essentially, no matter how much I eat (albeit sometimes not a lot, because of nausea) and even if I eat a whole calorie dense meal, my brain still says I'm starving. No matter how much I eat, my brain always says eat more (I can't without puking). Go to bed hungry, wake up starving, everyday.

Any thoughts on what to do? Eat smaller meals isn't an option, I've tried; eating more isn't an option; changing what I eat isn't an option; just curious if anyone has thoughts on why my brain may be so messed up.

Trying inositol 2x daily to see if it helps.

Feeling like I'm starving perpetually is really starting to mess with me psychologically.

chrona

i had a version of this except mine was assuaged by carbs.  the only thing that helped was homeopathy.  but not before i turned into a blimp from being slender.

rowinghippy

What do you mean by homeopathy? I noticed soda helps take the edge off (any sugary beverage really).

And yes, I'm turning from slender into a blimp myself.

Did this ever go away for you? If so I would love any advice, I'm reaching my breaking point..

Rockingchaircat

I've had something similar-while on my last antidepressant; some days I can get by with a 'normal' amount of food, other days- I'm ravenous.

There were times I could eat until I vomited, and STILL not feel satiated. 

The best thing I can recommend: Food Variety. Try to insure that you're getting a full supply of nutrients and vitamins. The RDA for vitamins is for someone who is already healthy- technically- we're not healthy. Our brain and nervous system are in flux and therefore in healing mode. Someone in healing needs MORE nutrients. 

To keep from turning into a blimp there is only one solution: Exercise. Aerobics, and strength training. Even just walking will help.  You put it on through eating, you can take it off with a workout or three.

As to the food- eat a variety. Try something unusual. There have been a couple of times I ate some kimchi- and got satiation. Sometimes it was some greek yoghurt. The kimchi was a good source of some probiotics and so was the yoghurt. Instead of drinking soda- I'd recommend some fruit juice.

Or do what AliG does and get yourself a Juicer and juice not only some fruits but also vegetables.  

AliG swears by her juice and enzymes..

RachelE

I have been having something similar, but I'm not really gaining. I used to crave sweets all the times and sometimes other junk foods, but now I find myself eating more healthful stuff and a great variety too! Kimchee, salmon, eggs, sour kraut, almost anything green,  fresh fruits, raw veggies, seeds, different broiled meats, Greek yogurt, brown rice (sometimes), yams, avocados, cherry tomatoes, walnuts, olives, olive and coconut oil. The only sweets I still have a weakness for are sherbet and Italian ices. Even those satisfy me more easily than they used to.

Perhaps going off Abilify has something to do with this. I find I dislike soda pop, something I used to drink by the pint in a diet form. Now the chemical taste disgusts me, but the regular isn't that great either. I crave less coffee. One cup is more than enough usually.

I'm sorry Insatiable Mind Hunger. I don't want to rub your nose in it. I may start gaining as I taper further. Right now I am only down my original effexor dose by 15%. Maybe drink more water and herbal teas (ginger tea helps if you have digestive problems, I make my own from fresh grated ginger root and like to add raw honey.) I like soda water if it is unsweetened. And maybe try eating a lot of different foods as long as they have nutritional value. I have found the Volumetrics Diet to be helpful in the past. The idea to that kind of eating is to fill up on low calorie foods with nutritional density and a lot of bulk.

rowinghippy

Well I'm having issues with hyperglycemia. Going to have to monitor it and see what correlation there is on my hunger.

Also having issues with malabsorption of vitamins and such.

Inositol didn't help.

Trying to eat more things but my stomach still doesn't like the feeling of food.

It's gotten a little better. Acupuncture and addressing food sensitivities seem to have done the most.

Fingers crossed it gets better..

RachelE

Well I'm having issues with hyperglycemia. Going to have to monitor it and see what correlation there is on my hunger.

Also having issues with malabsorption of vitamins and such.

Inositol didn't help.

Trying to eat more things but my stomach still doesn't like the feeling of food.

It's gotten a little better. Acupuncture and addressing food sensitivities seem to have done the most.

Fingers crossed it gets better..

Glad things are looking up for you! :)

whitelily

I've had perpetual hunger - it waned somewhat with a change of medication, and then with reducing the dose of the next medication I was put on.  

I still have a problem with overeating:  what I am finding helpful is eating ready prepared 'balanced carb' meals which are sold in Marks and Spencers (in UK) - and essentially using the low blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley as a guideline.

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/

A typical day now would be greek yoghurt & frozen berries (cheaper and they thaw quickly) for breakfast; omelette with vegetables for lunch (cooked in a ceramic pan so no fat) possibly with salad too; a balanced carb ready meal from M&S for dinner; unsalted nuts or apple or small portion cheese or wafer thin chicken/turkey to snack on.  Also, although its not ideal, I suck on sugar free sweets when I'm struggling.   

I find that if I give in to having carbs it sets off more cravings (I gained a lot of weight and was diagnosed diabetic about 8/9 years ago) and now makes me feel quite ill - so even though sometimes I really want carbs, if I do have some its best if I go for vegetables (especially green) instead or a low amount of carb together with protein for satiety and to avoid feeling unwell.

I still find it a battle, but there's been some improvement with above approach.      

rowinghippy

I'm asking this as I'm pretty worried that I may be messed for good. I know a lot of people say this, but I'm worried because some of my symptoms seem to be unique to me and I haven't read of anyone else dealing with them.

Curious what "unusual" symptoms anyone else is dealing with/has resolved over time? For example, lethargy, insomnia, anhedonia, etc. seem to be "common". In contrast, my unending hunger, hypercortisolism, and withdrawal induced weight gain seem to be significantly less common and I'm pretty worried about them...

Forgive me if this is inappropriate or in bad taste. I don't mean to trivialize the pain from what I have lumped as "common".

Anyone else experiencing something unique to them?

dini84

Yes I have this on and off also. Especially the weight gain and hunger. I would get sugar cravings and whatnot too. Other times, like right now, I have zero appetite, losing weight fast, and the thought of food turns my stomach. For me this seems to be a pattern, it goes up and down.

Farout

It's not an unusual symptom. I think it's just another aspect of our endocrine system going haywire while we heal. I suspect this might be less reported on the forum because it is not a main focus for other members.

Anxiety is huge at this time. It seems natural that weight gain would be what your heightened neuro-emotion has zoned in on. So, it may be six of one [actual weight gain] - half a dozen of the other [anxiety about it making it seem worse than it is]. One way or another, a lot of us find ourselves obsessing over food at times through this process.

Please try to remember that this isn't the 'real' you. It will pass. Meanwhile try to recognise this for what it is and work on some coping strategies to see you through.

InvisibleUnless

i dont know about the relative commonness involved, but be comforted in that those are not unusual.  for whatever comfort that may offer.  as others have said, they should pass in time.

personally, ive had a ton of metabolic/digestive/weight-related side effects.  i attribute many of these to antipsychotics primarily, though its a bit of a mess with all the different kinds of drugs i was on.  i gain and lose weight and fatty tissue, i gain and lose muscle bulk, i have a literal need for milk, which i have been drinking 1-2 dozen times per day for a year or two now.  some days i need sugar for my brain to even function--my speech starts slurring or becomes impossible and i just want to sleep.  other days, even a single drop of juice or ice cream can bring about a serious rage.  ive had episodes of unending hunger, which was common on antipsychotics, but usually it is tied to episodes of serotonin syndrome now that i am in withdrawal.

as for what i have found somewhat unique, usually i do not hear other people talking about serotonin syndrome during protracted withdrawal situations, and have not heard much about upper GI bleeding though internal bleeding is seemingly more common than moderate toxidromes like serotonin syndrome.  some of my newfound sensitivities are less common than others.  but, talk to enough people on here (and elsewhere) and youll find that there are people who can relate to any given symptom you are experiencing.  it can be a good feeling, at least for me, to know that we are gathering a communal knowledge that helps us understand that we are not alone.  doctors are oftentimes quick to say you are the rare exception or that what you are experiencing cannot be happening, and this can further demoralize people already going through a severe and chronic withdrawal.

dini84

I wanted to add that I was reading some random articles the other night and it showed that chewing actually relieves stress. There might be a connection. I know I tend to overeat when I am bored or restless and housebound, or during an episode of stress (i.e. my cortisol levels are sky high).

Chalk it up to yet another reason to get off these drugs. :-/

dini84

It's not an unusual symptom. I think it's just another aspect of our endocrine system going haywire while we heal.

This is true (in my case at least). I have pre-diabetes on Sertraline. Strangest thing, I never had diabetes in my life, except after being on Sertraline for almost 3 years this showed up, when I went off of it in 2016 the pre-diabetes insulin resistance was gone. Then it came back 4 months after reinstating the Sertraline.

This was one of the main reasons I wanted to get off of it because I learned that these drugs can mess with your endocrine system and hormones and cause the imbalances and insulin resistance, which can also cause you to overeat and gain weight that's impossible to control (unless you only want to eat cucumbers and drink water the entire time you're on these drugs).

Hang in there, rowinghippy, if it helps, because I know everyone is different, but I did gain about 25 pounds while on Sertraline, and I couldn't really shed the extra weight while on it, but about a month after being off Sertraline completely I finally started losing the weight, and before I hit my WD symptoms in September, I had lost all that extra weight and then some with eating good and staying active in a matter of three months. I am back on Sertraline and yes, gaining weight again. I'm sensitive to sugars even the ones in fruits and some vegetables, I really have to watch what I eat right now, whereas I never had to before. It's quite a long trek but knowing we all eventually come back to normal helps me keep positive through even the hardest days, or weeks.

That and chewing sugarless gum really helps, I don't know why, but I'm able to control my appetite more by chewing gum when I know I'm not hungry and I am just bored or restless etc. Maybe give that a try and see if it helps you too?

wintery

i dont know about the relative commonness involved, but be comforted in that those are not unusual.  for whatever comfort that may offer.  as others have said, they should pass in time.

personally, ive had a ton of metabolic/digestive/weight-related side effects.  i attribute many of these to antipsychotics primarily, though its a bit of a mess with all the different kinds of drugs i was on.  i gain and lose weight and fatty tissue, i gain and lose muscle bulk, i have a literal need for milk, which i have been drinking 1-2 dozen times per day for a year or two now.  some days i need sugar for my brain to even function--my speech starts slurring or becomes impossible and i just want to sleep.  other days, even a single drop of juice or ice cream can bring about a serious rage.  ive had episodes of unending hunger, which was common on antipsychotics, but usually it is tied to episodes of serotonin syndrome now that i am in withdrawal.

as for what i have found somewhat unique, usually i do not hear other people talking about serotonin syndrome during protracted withdrawal situations, and have not heard much about upper GI bleeding though internal bleeding is seemingly more common than moderate toxidromes like serotonin syndrome.  some of my newfound sensitivities are less common than others.  but, talk to enough people on here (and elsewhere) and youll find that there are people who can relate to any given symptom you are experiencing.  it can be a good feeling, at least for me, to know that we are gathering a communal knowledge that helps us understand that we are not alone.  doctors are oftentimes quick to say you are the rare exception or that what you are experiencing cannot be happening, and this can further demoralize people already going through a severe and chronic withdrawal.

you described me to the dot, this is exactly what happens to me, I lost 30 lbs. the first months of withdrawal and I have since January had this hunger that is unbearable; I crave sugar and carbs and have gained weight and other days is impossible to eat, I  was wondering what this was about because I have a lot of Withdrawal issues and could not believe this one was one more. also having lots of GI issues that don't seem to give me a break,

but I am glad is not in my head and this is part of and hopefully will soon go away.

TikkiTikki

Hi Nikki,

How's the weight loss and tapering going?

I'm with you on the weight gain. If it wasn't for that, I might have continued with Citalopram indefinitely.

TikkiTikki

Before going on 20mg Paxil in 1995 I weighed 68kg

In 2010 I was about 85kg and began tapering @ 10%

2011 @ 5% taper - 82kg

2012 @2.5% taper - 72kg

2013 @ 2.5% taper - 75kg

2014 @ 2.5% taper - about 70kg

2015 @ 2.5% taper - 60kg

2016 @ 2.5% taper - 55kg

I seemed to have stabilised at this weight

Wow GrandmaD - that kind of says it all. 

Did you notice your eating and exercising habits changing as you tapered?

And is 55kg a good weight for you? I notice that it's lighter than your pre-Paxil weight.

Congrats. Is your taper finished now?

Edited by ChessieCat
merged with similar topic

TikkiTikki

Hi everyone......i'm off lexapoison 105 days and now experiencing much more bloating and lots of weight loss has anyone heard of this happening?? Thx nivek

Hi Nivek,

so happy for you - a successful taper.

Yes, I think weight loss is common, and I have heard of bloating or weight gain too.

How are you going now? Still good post-taper? Has the bloating settled down?

Edited by ChessieCat
merged with similar topic

TikkiTikki

Hi everyone,

I know weight is not the most important thing on most people's minds, but I'm interested to know how many people have experienced weight loss during their taper.

And who has lost weight once that have fully tapered?

I know a few unlucky people have GAINED weight during taper and after cessation - I really hope they are in the minority.

Cheers

TIkki

Edited by ChessieCat
Merged with similar topic

Dwell

I did a cold turkey off paxil about 9 months ago and I am down about 35 pounds (which I needed to lose) from loss of appetite and diarrhea. I am glad the weight is gone, just wish it had gone a different way. Lol

AliG

Sometimes it goes the opposite way, as in weight gain after drugs. I have found that to be the case due possibly to cortisol, no sleep and added stress. 

Frogie

Sometimes it goes the opposite way, as in weight gain after drugs. I have found that to be the case due possibly to cortisol, no sleep and added stress.

I have gained 3 pounds in about 2 months, but it could be my thyroid too.

I hope to lose about 45 pounds when it's all said and done. :)

Good lick Ali!

Junglechicken

My weight dropped as quickly as it went on during my (incorrect) taper in 2015.

It's now dropping gradually due to this anti-Candida diet (phase 1) which means complete exclusion of the following foods:

No wheat/gluten

No starch (white rice, white potatoes)

No refined sugar

No alcohol

No dairy

No eggs

No fruit

No nightshade family (tomatoes, peppers etc.,)

No shellfish or fish with high metal contaminant level

VERY tough, but no choice if I'm going to get well :0/

Since 24 March I have lost 11 Ibs / 4.9 kilos

Pearlsky

I've lost 25 pounds in six months after cold turkeying and still losing. I have the skinny gene and I stayed very depressed about gaining so much weight while on antidepressants. I had no motivation to do anything, and I ate mostly junk food and a lot of it. Now I eat less from smaller appetite, drink a lot of water, and limit sweets. I don't crave sweets so much anymore and eat fruit in place of them.

TikkiTikki

I've been tapering for nearly 6 months.

In the last month I have eaten far less food overall, and especially fewer carbs and starches. I just don't have that carb craving I used to have.

No weight loss yet though - probably gained a kg or two.

Farout

It was a bit of a yo-yo for me.  I went through periods of not being interested in food, so lost too much weight too fast during those times. That was when the waves were still quite intense. 

Overall, 3yrs & 5months on, I am around 6-8kgs heavier than my usual pre-AD weight of 58-60kgs. Part of it was definitely related to the hormonal imbalance caused by my reaction, the rest was probably a thought process "you deserve the cupcake after everything you've been through". 

The weight is only just starting to come off now that I'm feeling better recovered & the motivation to eat sensibly and exercise again has returned.  That levelling out of normality has marked a real turning point in my recovery.

rapunzel2
On 14.5.2016 at 4:58 AM, moonstoneblue said:

I just grabbed a measuring tape and measured my waist, I've put on 2 or 3 inches on my waist in the last few weeks :( my waist is usually 27 (I've never had a sexy small waist) and it's now 30inches. Arghhh. I'm very active. I've never had problems with my weight it's always stayed the same.

Has tapering Prozac caused a hormone imbalance? Or is because my body has none of that adrenaline feeling Prozac gave me. Have my adrenal glands changed or something. I keep asking myself these questions all the time. None of my trousers fit ???? It just all seems to have gone to my waist and busts. Lol. I hope it all evens out soon, whatever it is.

how are you doing now? I have reached 4mg prozac, and I'm gaining weight. I've never had weight problems in my life!

Survivor1

Unfortunately, since dropping remeron at 2.4 mg, I have gained 7 lbs in 10 weeks!  No change in lifestyle.  I eat sensibly and exercise at least 1 hour every day (brisk walk).

Did not gain weight while on the drugs.  I know it will eventually level off, but I still have two more drugs to go, so I may have to be comfortable with my porky self for a while yet.

(Also, am having massive bloating, I look 6 months pregnant.  Ugh!)

rapunzel2

Interesting. I have also gained some kilograms while tapering and getting to low doses. seems that if the drugs didn't do it during taking them, the withdrawal does. I've reduced fluoxetine and quetiapine. I don't know which one is the culprit. 

Survivor1

I unearthed others (on other forums) for whom the same thing happened.  As always, time is the key for it to resolve ...

BuddhaMama

I gained 45lbs on remeron/mirtazipine. 20 of it at first (literally felt like overnight, but it was more like w week or two), then 25 more after I stopped breastfeeding (this was literally over the course of a few days. I had to have my wedding rings cut off because it was so much so fast. I have always been a thin person. I get so mad when one of my doctors says "If you cut out carbs you'd lose weight"........Yeah, NOPE. Mirtazipine weight doesn't budge.

I'm finally down to 7.8mg, but I have a long road ahead. I will be so disappointed if the weight doesn't come off until I'm off the drug for several months. I was kind of hoping it would start to come off now that my metabolism seems to be returning to normal (my usual hunger and fullness signals are back). We shall see.

Barbarannamated

My weight went up to 136# from ~115 when first on Zoloft in the 90s.  I'm 5'3". Just yesterday, a doc weighed me in at 86#.  I've never tried to lose and am trying to stop the weight loss.  I look like walking dead.  

I am still on a few meds and have several health issues, including adrenal exhaustion and chronic pain, so I'm sure that all plays in.  My motivation/reward system seems to be dead.  Eating used to be an enjoyable and social activity, but I really have to force myself now.  I was always a bit heavy prior to all of this.