SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

☼ wanttosurvive: tianeptine

wanttosurvive

First of all I want to apologize for my language as I am not a native speaker. I am a 37, female. Had an episode of  major depression in the teenage years, which had completely resolved with a six months duration of prozac treatment. did not have withdrawal in that period. 

Until this year I did not have anxiety disorder or major depression, and did not used any antidepressants. In may I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder (after a major gastric surgery) and prescribed escitalopram. But could not tolerated as I have gastritis, gastroesophageal reflux disease.

Then the psychiatrist prescribed mirtazapine 7,5 mg (for insomnia) and tianeptine (Stablon, an atypical tricyclic antidepressant) 12,5 mg 3x1. after 2 months I gave up mirtazapine cold turkey (as told by the doctor). withdrawal: anxiety, lightheadedness for 3-5 days, but severe nausea for 3 weeks. at the 3 months duration of tianeptine treatment.

I got sinusitis and used clarithromycin (just 1 tablet), and ended up with severe anxiety, agitation, nausea, palpitations, insomnia. although the doctor did not agreed with me, I gave up tianeptine cold turkey (3 months, 12,5 mg 3x1). today is the 46 th day.

I still have withdrawal symptoms: nausea, severe gastritis, insomnia (not every night), severe severe depression, sometimes anxiety. Am I right? Is it withdrawal or my depression is back?

Edited by baroquep

6 months treatment of prozac in 1996 (do not remember any withdrawal symptom)

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

October 2017- Suicidal. Had to start Mirtazapine

17 December 2017 LAST DOSE   

NO DRUG AFTER 17 DECEMBER 2017.

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to wanttosurvive: Tianeptine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi wanttosurvive,

Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA), I am glad that you found the site.  Unfortunately very few doctors have experience tapering safely off of these drugs and it is very unfortunate that so many people end up suffering because of the advice given to them by their doctor.  While you weren't on mirtazapine or tianeptine all that long, it would have been a lot easier on your central nervous system to have reduced the dose over the course of a couple of weeks or more so that your CNS had a chance to adjust to the different levels of drug in your blood stream.  It's always best to carefully taper when dealing with these drugs as even in small doses they are very powerful.  According to the journal literature on antidepressant withdrawal syndrome, anyone who has been taking a drug for a month or more is at risk.

As well, because you have take psychotropic drugs in the past, this oftentimes predisposes us to having problems coming off of these types of drugs in the future even if we didn't experience withdrawal symptoms the first time we discontinued them.  No one is sure why this occurs, but many people with a history of taking antidepressants have found this to be the case. and this phenomenon is seen on this site frequently.

Unfortunately because your central nervous system has already been destabilized by stopping mirtazepine and tianeptine cold turkey, I am not surprised that one tablet of clarithromycin aggravated the symptoms you were already experiencing.  This is something that is also seen here quite frequently.  When the CNS has been destabilized, it is highly sensitized and can react to taking something as innocuous as a vitamin and often adding another drug will make things worse.  As well, it seems that a lot of members have had issues with antibiotics and I'm going to attach a link so that you have more information regarding their use and problems that some of them cause.

Various Antibiotics and Potential Problems

In order to provide you with specific information with respect to your current situation, I would ask that you complete your withdrawal history signature so that we can see your drug/tapering history in more detail.  This helps moderators determine what may help you deal with the depression and the other symptoms you are currently experiencing.  If you could take a moment to complete your withdrawal history signature, it would be most appreciated.  

Instructions:  Withdrawal History Signature

Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.

•    A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
 •    Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
 •    Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
 •    Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.

Edited by baroquep

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Hi Baroquep, 

You can not image how precious your suggestions are. Thank you so much. Yes, I know. Quiting cold turkey was a real real bad mistake. Although quiting mirtazapine was the doctor's suggestion, I had to stop tianeptine treatment by myself after side effects I had experienced due to clarithromycin usage. Now I am counting days, yes today is 47 th day. Acute withdrawal has passed. But I think I am in a sitution where I have to wait and accept changes. There are times which I feel helpless, desperate and think 'I can not manage this, how long will it take?'. I pray and talk to myself H.O.P.E. hold on pain ends. Hang in there, do not give up. Believe me this site is a real life saver. I am so so so glad that I have found SA.

Currently I am on nothing. After stopping tianeptine I have used mega dose of vitamin B and standard dose of vitamin D. However after 1 month I had to quit vitamin B also because of increased anxiety, nause and lightheadedness. Blood levels of vitamin D turned out to be normal so I also gave up it.    

Will you suggest anything else?.I know this is a long long journey. Now I have consulted another psychiatrist. Fortunately, he had understood all my symptoms, my sensitized central nervous system and ordered nothing. Said that we will wait...

Let the sunshine will be back for all of us...

May 2017- July 2017 Mirtazapine 7,5 mg. Quit cold turkey (as told by the doctor)

May 2017- August 2017 Tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1. Quit cold turkey because of adverse reactions

IN THE 3. YEAR OF WD I WAS THINKING I HAD RECOVERED 75%. BUT IN THE 4. YEAR AFTER A DENTAL IMPLANT SURGERY EVERYHING HAS CHANGED. 

BELIEVE OR NOT, I AM EXPERIENCING A SECOND WD, WHICH IS INDUCED BY A SURGERY. DATE OF SURGERY WAS 10 DECEMBER 2021. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi wanttosurvive, you may want to be careful with the B Vitamins, many of our members, including myself, found them far to aggravating and made withdrawal much more difficult.  After taking Vitamin B, once I started withdrawing from Effexor, I had to discontinue as it was causing me a lot of anxiety.  We have found that Omega 3 and Magnesium seem to help settle withdrawal.  

I am really happy that your psychiatrist is aware and understood your symptoms, that is very rare in my experience.  Most doctors believe that because some people are able to discontinue these drugs without issue, that all of us can, and that just isn't the case.  Many people end up having to deal with withdrawal syndrome because they either CT'd like you or reduced the drug too quickly.  The central nervous system make adjustments to the brain to compensate for the presence of the drug, and when it is removed abruptly the CNS cannot adjust quickly enough which results in withdrawal.  It is my hope that more doctors will become aware of this phenomenon at some point in the future to prevent the unnecessary suffering some many people have to deal with.  That this site exists is testament to just how many people suffer from withdrawal syndrome.  

I am going to attach a few links that might help you discuss what you have read on this site and the recommendations made by Surviving Antidepressants.  Hopefully you will be able to find additional support from your psychiatrist to help you get back on track.  As you weren't on the drugs for very long, it might take you a little longer for the withdrawal symptoms to alleviate and appreciate why your doctor wants to wait at this time.  

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal?
What should I expect from my doctor about withdrawal symptoms?

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery
What is Happening in Your Brain

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Hi wanttosurvive!

Glad you found this place. I recently found it myself and the moderators are so knowledgable and helpful! You are not alone <3

-D

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg 

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

• Administrator

Welcome, wanttosurvive.

What is your daily symptom pattern? How often do you experience sleeplessness? What is your sleep like?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi for all of you,

Alto, actually the main complaint is deep depression. I sleep approximately 5,5-6,6 hours/day (interrupted some nights). croos fingered I think I have managed panic attacks. praying all the time for not to come across again. 10 days ago at the psychiatrist appointment, although he said should we wait, he talked about starting low dosage of classical antidepressants (mainly tricyclic, amiltriptiline). in the following thursday there is another appointment. I wonder what he is going to say? In may I have used escitalopram for a couple of days however I could not tolerated because of my gastritis issue (I have gastritis, stomach ulcer for 12 years, gastroeasophegeal reflux for 5 years, gone through a major gastric surgery 8 months ago, which was the triggering factor for all of these psychiatric issues). believe me SSRI's are really not suitable for anyone with stomach ulcer. and now there is another problem. my stomach has not been healed yet. I do not know what am I going to do? now still waiting and counting days. 

Hi everyone, I am very very pleased to find this site. last couple of days I have searched the entire site and read stories and found out how these chemicals can be so poisonous. now I am still on nothing. As I have considered taking fish oil and magnesium, this lunch time I have tried eating a portion of fish (sea bass). within 10-15 minutes I have felt dizziness, nausea, nervousness. Is it normal? Am I too sensitive? 

And another question. I have used to train 5-6 days/week during th last 5-6 years, mainly cardivascular exercise, pilates, kickboxing. 8 monts ago I have gone through a major surgery and gave up everything. now I want to start exercising but fear about how it will affect my withdrawal. If I run, will it increase my anxiety?

I think this that you ate fish and felt afterwards dizzy is more your anxiety than really the fish. Provided that you are not alergic on fish. But normally eating fish is more positive, I can not imagine that it would harm you.

05/2013 Lyrica 100 mg / per day for pain + PGAD resulting from caesarian delivery11/2014 started to taper: 50 mg per day/ for one week then c/tafter one month reinstated at 50 mg /per days of 10 July 2015 drug free-

symptoms OCD

Thank you for your reply, I will try once again...

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I want to thank millions of times to every contributor of this site while I am walking through this wd hell, cause I have learned tons.

I am a 38 year old female with only known diseases including gastritis, gastric reflux and allergic rhinitis until I have jumped into wd 1 year ago. And in my lifetime I had only used prozac (6 months without any wd) when I was 15 or 16 (can't remember exactly, it has been decades) and NEVER and EVER touched any psychiatric drug until May 2017. 

In May 2017 I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and prescribed mirtazapine 7,5 mg and tianeptine 12,5 mg 3x1 (an atypical tricyclic antidepressants). To make the long story short, I quitted mirtazapine cold turkey after 2 months (as told by the doctor, OVERALL 2 MONTHS OF MIRTAZAPINE) and went on only with tianeptine. I do not need to describe acute wd, it was awful, but only lasted 3 weeks.

Approximately 10 days after the acute wd ends, while I was on tianeptine, I got sinusitis and used claritromycine. And this time the story begins. Just 1 tablet was enough to make my CNS to be hypersensitized....I got new and uncontrollable symthoms and this time I quitted the drug cold turkey by myself (OVERALL 3 MONTHS OF TIANEPTINE). This acute wd was more and more horrible but it was ok cause it lasted only 3 weeks again.

.......Time passed...  I had 3-4 weeks when I felt much better. Then although I thought I was free of wd, it was not getting better. I had incredible stomach cramps but could not understand the source. Awful morning anxiety, daytime depression, etc. ....day by day getting worse. And at 2,5 months since the last dosage of tianeptine, I GOT SUICIDAL and had to start mitazapine again. I started with 7,5 mg but could not tolerate (awful stomach cramps), 1 week later 3,75, one week later 2 mg..... whatever it is I could not tolerate and quitted mirtazapine (OVERALL 2 MONTHS OF MIRTAZAPİNE, last dosage was approximately 0,5 mg).....

This acute wd was more more and more horrible lasting for 1 month.... but with new emerging symptoms including muscle pain, back pain, extreme fatigue, tooth ache, feeling cold and shievring, and the worst of all DP/DR....

Then at 2-3 months I got better. This was honeymoon. Much much better, no sensitization, used magnesium, eating fish everyday, going to work, making daily activities...

All of sudden, just overnight, at the 3 months mark (exactly the day of 120 days- I mean last dosage of mirta was december 17, something changed in march 17) I just started to feel worse day by day getting worse..... day by day I felt more depressed, more anxious. My stomach pain increased with cramps. I got insomnia followed by hypersomnia, tooth ache (in all of my 32 teeths), back pain, muscle pain, was sensitized to magnesium, omega3, foods including nuts, pumpkin seeds, banana, pistachio, of course cacao, tea, chocolate. And the protracted part begins...

At 4,5 months mark I GOT SUICIDAL again. Only solution was changing circumstances. I left the city.... quitted my job (now living with my parents after 20 years...) 

And 5. month was another breakthrough. Again all of a sudden, exactly in may 16, new symthoms started to emerge. Noise sensitivity, light sensitivity, motion sensitivity, nasal congestion, tinnitus, frequent urination, joint pain, ear pressure, paresthesia, abdominal distension, nausea (yes I got nausea after 6. months, but not as awful as it is in acute wd), headache, edema (face, hands, forearm, distal legs), muscle contractions, PMS... one follows another. They waxe and wane, are not synchronized, one come-make a peak- and go, other come- make a peak and- go. 

Now I am at 8,5 months. Getting better, not suicidal. However another wave has come. It hit last week. I do believe in '3 month cycle'.

I am sensitized to omega 3 and magnesium. Chamomile tea and milk are my friends helping me to relax. Using no supplement. Eating homemade yogurt for probiotics. Was using vitamin d until june, still summer in here, will start vit d soon again. Also eating lots of veggies and fruits. Minimal sugar and carbohydrates. Walking 30-40 minutes. By the way before wd, I was a crazy sport maniac, kickboxing, running, spinning.... these are only dreams for me now...

This was my story, and what will come I do not know. Time will show...

I also want to give some more details about the physical symptoms. I hate them but also regard them as the reminder of wd. Because they always remind me that I am in wd....and I can more easily track the fluctuations in the severity, when compared with mental ones. 

My physical symptoms:

1. STOMACH PAIN WITH CRAMPS. My gastrointestinal system, especially stomach, is the second mostly affected system in wd. Indeed, while I was on drugs, I had gastrointestinal issues, mostly some kind of stomach discomfort or irritation that I can not describe exactly. It was not pain in that period. But, while in wd it turned out to be SEVERE, UNBEARABLE PAIN WITH CRAMPS.... no drug, including proton pump inhibitors, H2 receptor blockers or over the counter antiacids, NOTHING ease this pain. Only eating make me forget about it. And I do not know why, but it is worst in the afternoon and evening. Some days I only feel it in the evening. This symptom started just after acute wd, in the early weeks and went on. But definitely better....

2. MUSCLE PAIN, STIFFNESS. Definitely better

3. LOW BACK PAIN. I think it has gone. No more feel it. 

4. JOINT PAIN. Worse in the premenstrual period. 

5. FATIGUE. Better, there were times when even going to toilet was an issue. 

6. HEADACHE. started in the 5. month. And then gone. Comes in the premenstrual period. 

7. TOOTH ACHE. 2. most resistant symptom after stomach pain. Almost constantly feel it. 

8. PARESTHESIA. Other resistant symptom. Although changes in the severity, almost constantly feel it. 

9. MUSCLE CONTRACTIONS, TWICHING. Has not occured since june. 

10. NOISE SENSITIVITY. Worst in the 5. month. Actually in May 16th, it started suddenly, just I was eating dinner with the family. And I understood something terrible was coming. This was the start of 'THE HORRIBLE 5. MONTH'. lots of new and weird symptoms, that I was unfamiliar with started then.....

11. MOTION SENSITIVITY. Started in the 5. month. Better. When it first started, driving car was a real matter for me......Nowadays I can easily drive but if another person drives the car, I still get nausea and dizziness. 

12. NAUSEA. In the acute stage, nausea was the worst symptom for me. After the acute wd, I had not get it until 6. month. Yes I got nausea after 6. month. Generally occurs in the morning and with sudden motions. 

13. LIGHT SENSITIVITY. Occured after 5. month. Worse in the evening. But going better. 

14. FREQUENT URINATION. one of the least troublesome symptom. When first occurred I used to go to toilet 4 or 5 times between 8-12 a.m. Not occurred after 12 a.m. First it happened for about a week, then for 3 days and in august for just 1 day. 

15. FEELING TOO COLD OR TOO HOT. This comes and goes....sometimes just sweating in my palms and soles accompany. In these days I can easily see sweat droplets. 

16. TINNITUS. Another least troublesome symptom.  Not bothering too much. 

17. EDEMA. In the face (generally on the central face or eyelids or lips), hands, foot, forearm and distal legs. Comes and goes. If I am in the premenstrual period it gets worse. 

18. NASAL CONGESTION. It mimics viral infection. Nasal corticosteroid sprays help. EAR PRESSURE and HOARSENESS also occurs. I think all of these occur because of the edema of tissues in the nasopharyngeal area. 

19. PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME. Before wd, I did not have it. But now it is awful. Not every premenstrual period is the same, sometimes it is more manageable. 

• 3 weeks later...

To all survivors,

THIS IS MY 9. MONTH UPDATE. As my memories are fresh now, I want to write as much as possible.

My last dose of mirtazapine was in 17 December 2017 and I am off drugs for over 9 months now. Although not functional, I must admit that I am certainly getting better  

Currently, I do not work. In May I got suicidal. Consequently, I had to quit my job, leave the city, go to my hometown to live with my parents. I am still living with them and do not work. But I can drive, make cooking, do household work, go shopping, market or grocery, etc. Whatever it is, I can easily do simple daily tasks. 

I had really really awful days. I was planning how to kill myself, as only solution was absolute death. I was in a situation that I could not see any way out there. I had no drug option, and as I am still sensitized, I was sensitized to even magnesium. As a result of medication sensitivity, just a microscopic crack of propronolol used to make me lay on the sofa as if the world around me is all spinning. I had nothing to ease my pain. Just a cup of chamomile tea or milk.

I was planning the method of suicide. At first driving my car into a crash seemed good but I realized that it was nonsense, because what if I did not die. They would take me to the hospital and give those poisons and call me insane as I was only talking about withdrawal but nobody knows about it. Then I planned to jump out of my balcony, but it was the same, what if I did not die? The best method seemed to take 10-20 tablets of propronolol, since it was the only drug in mg bag other than my gastritis drugs, which I thought do not have any serious action. I am sorry about these details, nobody wants to read them. But they are all real, undeniable real!!!

Although those days have past, I still suffer. I have lots of psychological and physical symptoms. In the previous post I have described my physical symptoms. Other than those, currently I experience cortisol awakening, terrible morning anxiety, DR/DP, cognitive impairment, etc. But these also have changed in severity. At my worst, DR/DP was so overwhelming that I was in a situation I called as coma state, just an idiot staring at but unable to communicate. Although I wanted to talk, finding words was so difficult. At those days I could not realize which day was it or which month was it. I usually asked myself 'Is it still morning, I must look outside, OMG it has already been afternoon'. And my typical reaction to DR/DP was to pinch myself or bite my fingertips. I used to do these movements, especially pinch myself and say 'Ohh it hurts, isn't it? Because you are a real, LIVING human being, not a zombie or an alien monster'. Also when DP/DR comes, I used to just look at the closest part of my body, especially my hands, just to see and feel myself, just to focus. Nowadays I still experience DR/DP but absolutely less severely. I do not pinch myself anymore!!! I think I got used to it. Currently it comes after the morning anxiety (the worst) and during the day and always in complicated situations. I mean when mother and father chatting loudly, TV is on and at the same time the bell rings and someone suddenly comes in, all these stimulants trow me into the hell of DR/DP. I am not a native speaker, so I give examples to describe my feelings. Just another example, when I stay on my own for some time and suddenly telephone rings or someone calls from the other room, then I get out from my aloneness, 100% DR/DP comes.

But I think I have found a solution, just to see DR/DP as a symptom. I whisper to myself 'This is a symptom, you have nausea right? You have all pins and needles all over your body, right? Anyway whatever it is, this is wd induced and you know just an hour later you will feel better. Just focus to present time, calm your mind, think about your beloved ones'. And I generally recall my childhood, the person who I was before wd.

But the good news is if I am in a window, my sleep quality is much much better. In windows I can sleep generally 7-8 hours without interruption. Also without cortisol awakening, although morning anxiety is constant. I always experience morning anxiety much or less but always. And the time for it is between 8 and 9 a.m. After 9 a.m. I feel more energetic but after 10 a.m. DR/DP comes. It comes and goes during the day. Evenings are my favourite. I feel as if I have come back to normal. In waves, in the premenstrual period and if I push myself hard physically, cortisol awakening comes between 5 a.m. to 6 a.m. but not 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. as it used to be. This is also better. Also, the amount of physical activity that I can tolerate has definitely increased. 2 months earlier, if I walk 30 minutes and do simple daily activities e.g. shopping and lift those heavy bags, I definitely experience cortisol awakening at 2 a.m. or 3 a.m. But now it is definitely better, I can walk 40 minutes and do much more daily activities.

What I want to say is that things definitely change and recovery is unquestionable. But it is so slow....I can easly track my physical symptoms. Nausea comes, makes a peak and goes, I know it. Psychological symptoms also 100% change....

What we should do is, just wait and see...

Hugs to all of you...

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font

• Administrator

Thanks very much for posting this update, wts. I am glad you have seen some improvement.

Have you found that you're unusually sensitive to light or heat?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto,

Yes, I am sensitive to light. I have also some kind of sensitivity to heat and cold.

About light sensitivity: This has started in the 5. month of the wd. Both sunlight and indoor lightings, also TV and pc screen lights stimulate me. It is pronounced not only at noon but also especially in the evenings.  It is getting better but increases in waves and premenstrual period. At noon I always wear sunglasses. But the problem is that DR/DP is sometimes so annoying that I generally put off the sunglasses in order to see the world as real. During the day if I am out my typical movement is putting my sunglasses on and off one after another. I generally prefer dim lighted rooms, I always wear eye pad during sleep time, blue light filter is always on on my phone. Overall, among stimulants noise is much much more troublesome for me. I think I can handle with light sensitivity more easily. 

About heat and cold intolerance: About heat intolerance I have two kinds of symptoms. In a panic attack or cortisol awakening or if I accidentally ingested some kind of food that I am sensitive to, the brain is activated, adrenalin increases and I feel hot flushes, my hands and feet are on fire. I know it, it is about sympathetic system. But I have a different kind of symptom about my body temperature. Last winter in acute wd I was shievering with cold that I used to wear 3 layers of cardigans. Then after honeymoon period I began to feel extreme hot, but it is not related with adrenalin. It is just like another symptom of wd, comes for some time and goes. It happens for some days and during those days I feel it even at night while I am so relaxed and sipping chamomile tea and watching my favourite comedy drama. Moreover, when it first started I could easily see sweat droplets on my palms and my slippers used to slip away from my feets because of sweat on my plantar areas. It is also getting better, it has just happened last week for about 3-4 days and I did not see any sweat droplets. I experience also the opposite, when I felt extreme cold during those beautiful sunny summer days....

Hugs...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

I've moved the new topic you created to an existing discussion on probiotics which you can find here:

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just want to give a brief update about my  WD journey . I am 12 months off drugs and very very slowly getting better almost lilke a turtle strolling around on a long long path. I have used ADs for just couple of months but WD hit me so hard that now I think this is most probably because I am one of those persons who are very sensitive to ADs.

Since psychological issues are subjective, I do not want to bother the community about my personal concerns but in general both anxiety and depression are getting better.

About DR/DP...I have always regarded DR/DP as the most awful symptom of WD and this is definitely getting better... in my previous posts I have described my feelings; about 6 months ago DR/DP was so horrible that I got used to pinch myself just to feel that I am alive. Now I no longer do this.

But still I have lots of physical symptoms. Currently these are; nausea/stomach pain (getting better), tooth ache (getting better), pins and needles like sensation (getting better), muscle pain, joint pain, extreme fatigue, noise sensitivity/light sensitivity (getting better), motion sensitivity/vertigo like feeling (much much better), edema on face, distal legs and arms (getting better), insomnia/hypersomnia (getting better), headache, muscle contractions (much much better), premenstrual syndrome, nasal congestion (getting better), ear ache/pressure (getting better), pressure on my eyes (getting better), tinnitus (much much better), abdominal bloating/cramps (getting better), cortisol awakening (much much better), feeling excessive cold/hot...

Physcial symptoms that I no longer feel are as follows; frequent urination, sweating on my palms and plantar areas, edema on my eyelids, constipation, hoarseness.

I am sensitive to supplement so I do not use any supplement. But I have an improvement. I used to be very sensitive to lots of foods including foods that are rich in omega 3 and magnesium. Now I can eat them in larger portions. I mean 6 months ago I could not eat any fish, butter, egg, nuts, pumpkin seeds, banana, spinach, pistachio, etc. Now I am caucious but I can eat  them although in very small portions.

About exercise intolerance...Before WD I was very active (running, spinning, kick boxing...). Now although I have seen some improvement in regard to exercise intolerance, currently I can only walk for 30-40 minutes  a day (approximately 2,5-3 km) because of extreme fatigue.

This is for now. I wish happy days for all survivors...

• Moderator Emeritus

Good report, wanttosurvive.  Sounds like you're doing well. 

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of Feb. 22: 7.6mg

Taper is 90% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, anti-candida, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hey wanttosurvive,

Thanks so much for sharing this. It's really hopeful to hear. Keep us updated on how things go in the future. 

❤️

Marmot 

2004: Clonazepam and Celexa. 2005 - 2006: Effexor, then increased to high dose, then switched to Valproate and Seroquel. 2007: Wellbutrin + Strattera + Celexa. 2007 - 2008: Wellbutrin + Adderall + Paxil. 2008 - 2012: Wellbutrin + occasional SSRIs when I had worsened "depression", which happened around 4 times, usually after CT of WB. 2012 - 2014: WB + Sertraline, then WB + Pristiq (awful W/D) then WB + rTMS, then ketamine. 2014 - 2016: Wellbutrin 200 mg + Abilify 4 mg + Adderall 20-40 mg + Cipralex 20 mg. Oct 2016: "Tapered" Cipralex, felt outrageously anxious, irritable. Dec 2016: "Tapered" Adderall, then felt depressed, hopeless, fatigued.  Feb 6 2017: reinstated 20 mg Adderall. Mar 2017: switched to Vyvanse, upped to 30 mg. May - Aug 2017: "Tapered" Vyvanse + Abilify to zero. Oct 25, 2017: Wellbutrin from 200 to 100 mg. Sep 10, 2018:  Wellbutrin from 90 to 60 mg. Oct 29, 2018: WB from 60 to 50 mg. Dec 19, 2018: WB from 50 to 45 mg. Apr 15, 2019: WB 41 mg. May 14, 2019: WB 37 mg. Jun 8, 2019: WB 33 mg. Jul 22: WB 30 mg, then down by around 10% per month. Aug 2020: 0

Working hard to take my life back. Anything I say here is as a friend or peer supporter; it is not medical advice.

11 hours ago, Gridley said:

Good report, wanttosurvive.  Sounds like you're doing well. 

Thank you for your support 🙂

11 hours ago, Marmot said:

Hey wanttosurvive,

Thanks so much for sharing this. It's really hopeful to hear. Keep us updated on how things go in the future. 

❤️

Marmot 

Marmot, I will be sharing, as far as I can.🧡🧡

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

THIS IS MY 13. MONTH UPDATE.

I am off drugs for 13 months. As it is seen in my signature, I had used antidepressants for only couple of months. But now I am paying the price for months maybe years of suffering. I can definitely say that for the last 1,5 years WD has ruined my life....now I am semi-homebound, not working, living with financial problems.... In May 2018 I had to quit my job, live the city, come to my hometown to live with my parents. OMG....this is withdrawal anything is possible.....Indeed, I was suicidal, I had no choice....no!!!! I had two options whether taking those poisonous pills and going insane or shutting down yourself and living the hell... yes I have shut down myself and walked through this WD hell...and still walking in baby steps....PLEASE FORGİVE ME. I know this is an update I must be optimistic. actually I will be optimistic while describing the details and evaluating how far I have come and how I have recovered slowly, but I have to reveal the undeniable truth. the truth that this is WD, this is a brutal disease and this is not our guilt. we are not the ones to be blamed.....the whole world not believing us are to be blamed. they did not believe my either, even my parents, my beloved ones, my best friend, my beloved brother, sister...they said "You are wrong, antidepressants do not have these side effects, you are so depressed that you can not think in an appropriate way. take your pills you will be fine. if you do not take your pills you will end up with mental hospital or you will suicide!!!!!!!".............Thanks God, it is over now, I am better. I know this is WD and antidepressants have absolutely VERY SEVERE side effects in some sensitive persons....

Overall I am better.

about psychological issues.....although I am better, I have not seen considerable improvement, maybe this is because I can not compare the old days with these days.

but about physical symptoms, I can give details, I am definetely better. I can easily see the difference...........

my most disturbing symptom: DR/DP. BETTER (MILLIONS THANKS TO GOD)

2. most distrubing symptom: MORNING ANXIETY. I do not know what to say. sometimes awful than ever, sometimes better, I hate it. this is the most important reason I still do not work. 

cortisol awakenings; BETTER.

....I think I can not give adequate detail about my psychological  state. currently I am in deep depression, but I think I got used to it. In general I prefer depression over anxiety. In the morning I wake up with terrible anxiety. After 9 a.m. little improvement (little energy). then at 10,5 - 11 a.m. DR/DR comes, I can say it comes and goes. after 3 p.m. I am much better and as always happens in the evenings I am almost like normal I just feel NORMAL.....

NOW HERE ARE PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS:

IMPROVING ONES:

1. STOMACH PAIN. 

2. NAUSEA. (NOW COMES ONLY IN WAVES)

3. PINS AND NEEDLES TYPE SENSATION.

4. TOOTH ACHE. 

5. MUSCLE PAIN, STIFFNESS. 

6. JOINT PAIN. 

7. TINNITUS.

8. EDEMA (CENTRAL FACE, LIPS, CHIN, HANDS, FEET) 

9. FEELING TOO COLD OR TOO HOT. 

10. HEADACHE. 

11. EAR PRESSURE, EAR ACHE

12. JAW PAIN

SYMPTOMS THAT ARE MUCH MUCH BETTER:

1. NOISE SENSITIVITY

2. LIGHT SENSITIVITY

3. MOTION SENSITIVITY, DIZZINESS

4. ABDOMINAL PAIN, BLOATİNG

5. NASAL CONGESTION

CONSTANT SYMPTOMS, ALMOST NO CHANGE:

1. FATIGUE

2. PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME.

SYMPTOMS THAT I DO NOT FEEL, I THINK THEY ARE GONE:

1. MUSCLE CONTRACTIONS, TWICHING. 

2. FREQUENT URINATION. 

3. CONSTIPATION

4. EYE PRESSURE LIKE SENSATION

typically I experince windows/waves.  just want to give a general pattern. my month 5. was the most horrible time in WD, after then I have experienced windows/waves . lastly in general waves come in every month, I mean in september, in october (october wave was the 10 month wave and it was awful), november and december were definitely more tolerable waves. then in january 4th a big wave came, it was 12. month wave. I definitely believe in these time periods.

about last wave:

it started in 4 th january, I can say it is over now. symptoms: nausea in the morning, stomach pain in the afternoon and then, increased brain fog, headache almost like I got the feeling I can not carry my head anymore, extreme fatigue, unbearable morning anxiety, cortisol awakening at 6-7 a.m. - here is winter in Turkey and sun rises at 8 a.m.-, deep depression. Also I have constant symptoms (pins and needles like sensation, tooth ache, edema on lips, chin, hands, feet, etc.) 

but i can definitely say that if i compare october wave and this, this one is better. for example in october nausea was all day long, but this time it is less severe and it was only in the morning. other example is stomach pain. in general when wave comes it startes with nausea for me it goes for 3-7 days than stomach pain comes and these continue all day long. but this time nausea was in the morning, stomach pain was in the afternoon and then. nausea was definitley less severe. stomach pain was also less severe. but i must say that my poor stomach is the second mostly affected organ after than the brain. so for the last 1,5 years and even when i was on antidepressants my stomach always ached. i mean stomach pain is my one of the most severe sypmtom. in this wave i got it but relatively less severe. i can not say it is completely better, but i can say it is relatively less severe.

if i compare october wave and recent wave depression is better i think. because in october i was suicidal again (i think because of premenstrual sndrome). but this time i was not suicidal. 

I have also other good news. this is about food sensitivity. I am sensitive to supplements and lots of healthy foods. I am sensitive to foods that are rich in omega3 and magnesium, vit Bs. 6 months earlier I could not eat ANY sea food, nuts, egg, butter, banana, pumpkin seed, pistachio, spinach, chickpea, meat broth (about meat broth I do not know I am sensitive to meat broath because of its histamine content or its omega 3 content). now I can eat these in small portions. this is a great improvement for me.

I do not take any supplement. This is a obstacle for me. I hate this disease because it ruined my life in the way I lived. BEFORE WD, I was a supplement fan. I used to run, do heavy cardio and strenght workout, so used to take lots of vitamins. I used to eat 3 eggs in the mornings, tons of nuts as snacks, 2 portions of fish at lunch, drink 1-1,5 lt of kephir after workout,...Praying there will be times I can take supplements again, I am sure they will improve my recovery. now I am just trying to watch the diet. 

about exercise intolerance. now I can only walk. but I am guilty about it, since the winter has come I do not walk regularly....

this was a brief update...

Happy days to all survivors ....

Edited by ChessieCat
changed paragraph in caps to lower case

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I AM 14 MONTHS OFF DRUGS AND THIS IS A BRIEF UPDATE.

My worst period was the time when I was 5 months off drugs and since then I have seen a general, overall improvement, although I am far from the person, who I was before WD. 

It took for me a solid 1 year to accept this awful condition as a disease and seek remedies for recovery. 

For the last couple of moths I have confronted with my previous psychological concerns again. I see this as an improvement, because I am out of the uncontrollable WD-induced neuro-emotions, especially anxiety. Unless I am in a wave or in premenstrual period, I am generally okey (surviving), although I feel in deep depression and anhedonia all the time. I am back to my previous anxiety issues, which were the reasons why I was prescribed with ADs. But I see this far more manageable than WD-induced anxiety. If I could only know this at that time........:mad::mad::mad:....... But as I said, now I have accepted this disease and trying not to blame anyone and only trying to live accordingly. 

Every month, I experience a wave, which generally lasts 10-15 days and an awful premenstrual peroid. For the other 10-15 days I am okey. In general waves start abruptly. Typical wave:

Nausea, stomach pain, extreme fatigue, increased brain fog, headache, increased DR/DP, terrible morning anxiety, insomnia, desperate depression, heavy head- I call a feeling as heavy head meaning I feel as I have no more energy to carry my head, because it is so heavy-, hypersomnia following insomnia, cortisol awakenings, muscle pain, joint pain....) I also have other sypmtoms that come and go unconditionally, like pins and needles like sensation, edema, tooth ache, ear ache, jaw pain, sinus problems, ear pressure, dry eyes..... Mostly waves start with cortisol awakening when I have insomnia. But in these times I feel more energetic but also anxiety, then wave hits with nausea, extreme fatigue and brain fog, deep depression. In these times I do not experience insomnia, rather I sleep a lot.

I have seen great improvement in regard to DR/DP. This is much much better when compared with old days. I must admit in windows I have days when I do not feel DR/DP. 🙏🙏🙏.....

Another improvement is in noise/light/motion sensitivity. These symptoms are definitely better when compared with old days. For example I do not experince hyperacusis and flash lights.

Windows are better but I feel extreme fatigue all the time. Although I suffer physcially all the time, I gained weight and my overall posture is better. Before WD, I was very active, regularly exercising. After WD hit me, I both lost weight and my overall muscle mass. I have written this in another thread as; 

I can say that when I look pictures which were taken 6-8 months earlier, I can easily see that I was weak with thin arms, legs, sitting with a slouch. Now when I look in the mirror, I can see biceps, triceps...my overall shape is much much better, my appetite is better.

I want to express another detail. WD caused overall edema, especially in my face, hands and feet. This increases in prementrual peroids but still there all the time. I can see it if I look at the mirror. Months ago, my face was swollen with puffy eyes as if I was another person. But if I talk about my face, currently this edema is only on my lips and this no longer bothers me.

I have seen improvement in regard to food sensitivities also. In previous posts I have expressed it. Now I can eat fish, egg, butter, nuts...I am just trying to eat healthy with low histamine foods. I have problems with high histamine foods like much of the other members but I think I can tolerate some foods better because I take famotidine (I have gastiritis for years, I must regularly take anti-ulcer drugs), which has antihistamine properties also. 

This was a brief update,

I wish happy days to all survivors....

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced font

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I AM OVER 15 MONTHS OFF DRUGS AND THIS IS A BRIEF UPDATE.

Since my last update I have experienced 2 waves; a minor and a major. 

The latter one was the major one, which started exactly on March 16th and has lasted almost up to April 2nd-3rd. For the last 2-3 days I can say I have come back to my WDnormal state again. As usual, my waves last for 10-15 days. I call the last wave as a major one, the duration was as usual but the severity was intensified. 

Maybe a minor detail, but I want to point out that my last dose of ADs was on 17 December 2017 and March 16th means I was exactly 15 month off drugs.

About last wave; symptoms were

1. heavy head feeling

2. extreme fatigue

3. headache

4. nausea (in the 1st half of the wave, generally in the mornings and daytime)

5. stomach discomfort/pain (in the 2nd half of the wave, generally in the afternoon and eveninings) 

6. dizziness/motion sensitivity

7. tolerable noise and light sensitivity

8. deep depression

9. extreme lack of energy

10. tolerable cortisol awakening, waking up at 6 a.m. but able to return sleep within 10-20 minutes.

It did not affect the OVERALL character of the wave but I got infection during the wave and had to take antibiotic (augmentin).

I want to express my experiences about antibiotics. It was the antibiotic (clarithromycine), which threw me into the hell of WD in August 2017. At that time I did not know anything about WD. Suddenly everything changed with a single tablet of clarithromycine.............time passed............(if you are interested, please read my previous posts)..... During WD I had to take antibiotics several times.

1. In December 2017, NO reaction (augmentin). Completed the antibiotic order. Please pay attention my last dose of ADs was 17 December 2017. So, I was NOT SENSITIZED at that time.  

2. May 2018, reaction (severe anxiety, agitation...) after  4th or 5 th dose (augmentin). Stopped taking the antibiotic.

3. October 2018, same reaction (augmentin). same story, stopped taking the medication. took probiotic but because of probiotic, histamine intolerance developed. The following month I had reactions with high histamine foods.

4. March 2019. Augmentin. This time only took the antibiotic once a day (normal prescription twice a day). plus took probiotic (at a distant time from the antibiotic intake). Finally took the antibiotic for 7 days (infection resolved) with tolerable anxiety when compared with old days. 

Consequently, I had reactions everytime I had to take antibiotics. My solution is to stay away from antibiotics, if it is a must I take half dose plus probiotic. But another detail is I take famotidine because of my gastritis and I double the dose of famotidine while taking probiotics. I had developed histamine intolerance while taking probiotics in october. But this time I did not get it (famotidine has antihistamine properties). but I took the probiotic only for 5 days.

On the other hand, I had overall improvement in regard to WD. I want to express most distinguishing ones.

1. DR/DP. DEFINITELY BETTER

2. NOISE AND LIGHT SENSITIVTY DEFINITELY BETTER

3. I GAINED WEIGHT AND ALTHOUGH I DO NOT EXERCISE OTHER THAN WALKING, I GAINED MY LOST MUSCLE MASS

4. EDEMA ON MY FACE IS DEFINITELY BETTER.

5. FOOD SENSİTİVTY, DEFINITELY BETTER....

CURRENTLY on no supplement but able to eat most of the foods. I avoid high histamine foods. exercise: only gently walking. 

Able to watch science fiction, drama films. Able to read up to 3-4 hours/day

Happy days to all survivors.... :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for your regular updates.   So glad you are slowly getting better!

2010:  Escitalopram (Lexapro) 10 mg.   Mirtazapine (Remeron) 15 mg. 

2011:    Tapered Mirtazapine: 5 month successful taper.  Then tapered Lexapro:  4 month successful taper

May 2011 to August 2017:   No medications, full recovery

September 6, 2017:  started Mirtazapine (Remeron) 15 mg  - due to severe sudden insomnia (I believe caused by statin use)

November 16, 2017:   started Escitalopram (Lexapro) 10 mg

January 1, 2018 to October 30. 2020 -- 34 month taper off of Mirtazapine 15 mg to 0.00 mg

June 16, 2018:  Started slow taper of 10 mg Escitalopram (Lexapro)

Current (mgai):    0.23 mg  Escitalopram

Supplements:  Fish Oil, Curcumin, bio active B vitamins, zinc, magnesium glycinate, Vitamin D, Vitamin C, saffron, citrus bergamot, ashwagandha

"Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."  Matthew 6:34

29 minutes ago, PH1 said:

Thank you for your regular updates.   So glad you are slowly getting better!

PH1 thank you for your support....

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I am 17 months off drugs, this is a brief update.

I am in a wave, which has started on May 10 th. As always it has started abruptly, just overnight.

The previous day I was okay, mistakenly thinking about how far I had come in regard to recovery as I was considering myself recovered but the day after the ugly face of the disease uncovered itself again....

It has been 2 weeks, most probably within 7-10 days it will subside in severity and then symptoms will fade away, because up to date it has been like this.

In regard to severity, I can just describe in words of Alto "as bad as ever, only a little different"....

Now symptoms included:

1. nausea (tolerable)

2. stomach discomfort

3. head ache, heavy head feeling

4. brain fog

5. DR/DP (LITTLE). please take attention. If there is anyone concerned about the severity of DR/DP, please read my previous posts. 1 year ago, DR/DP was so annoying that I was in a situation I regard myself  as if I was in a coma state. Just lying on the sofa, barely speaking, only looking at the TV or out the window wondering what time of the day was it or what was going on outside. people walking, where do they go??? I felt myself I was an idiot or an alien monster, I could not realize the persons, time, places. I was constantly pinching myself or biting my fingertips just to hurt myself, just to evoke some sensations in order to feel myself, in order to overcome feeling of DR/DP, in order to feel that I was alive..... 

6. fatigue

7. muscle/joint pain

8. psychological concerns

9. edema

10. noise sensitivity

11. feeling too cold (in may, here it is hot outside)

12. OTHER nonconditional symptoms, that come and go, do not follow the pattern of the wave. pins and needles like sensation, tooth pain, ear ache, taste changes, itching....they also come and go in windows and also in waves.

In this wave head ache and heavy head feeling are the most annoying symptoms.

CURRENTLY; 

- no supplements, afraid of reactions

- eating most of the foods, that I was sensitized before, including fish, egg, nuts,... (not in small portions, full plate)

- I am back to my original weight before WD, appetite is better although I have nausea

- I gained my lost muscle mass although do not exercise efficiently

- Exercise: walking, light strenght workout 

- histamine intolarence is better, I can eat most of the high histamine foods but in small portions 

OVERALL, I am much much better both physically and psychologically.

1 year ago I quit my job and moved to live my parents.

In june I must start to work again, that was the deal I made with my boss. I am happy still I have the oppurtinity to go back to my work....

Reasons why I have not worked for 1 year:

1. suicidial ideation that I had those days

2. DR/DP was so overwhelming that I could not even handle simple daily activities. It was impossible to work....

3. overwhelming physical symptoms, like nausea, joint pain, extreme fatigue, insomnia, sleep distubances,....

4. afraid about waves, premenstural periods....(still afraid about, but there is nothing to do, I must work)....

.......I wish HAPPY DAYS to all survivors....

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I am 19 months off drugs and this is my new update.

I am back to my home, my job again....this is a huge improvement for me. Although I have troubles both mentally and physically, I can manage to work. Some days I feel exhausted. The number of nights with cortisol awakening has increased but I am really happy that I have the opportunity to work again. Now I can see how bitterly I have missed my friends, my neighbours, even colleagues once I had troubles to get on with....

Since I started to work, I have experienced a wave, a flu infection, a sinusitis infection. Most probably my immune system is affected from long hours of working. But I am up to now, standing still. The wave has settled a bit. Indeed I am afraid about the bad wave, which is said to appear between 18-20 month period. I do not think this was that...I will not  write about the details of the wave, symptoms were less severe....

As it is said by other members, I also believe that resting is so crucial. I am still not capable of doing whatever I want to do or whatever I used to do. I must take care of myself. If the work is demanding for a day, I must rush to my home, just eat something healthy and lay on the sofa and do nothing else, otherwise that night I can't sleep...

In regard to recovery, I can say that most awful days have passed, but physically WD still affects my life significantly. On weekends I can enjoy my life, go walking, shopping, etc but on weekdays I can do nothing other than working, only cooking my own meal and just a little reading.... 

Last week, I caught flu, the doctor prescribed oseltamivir/tamiflu. I had to take the medicine, since I got fever and my general condition was poor. I wrote my experiences here

I do not think the drug had significant side effects for me....

But a month ago, I had to take antibiotics for sinusitis (augmentin/amoxicilline-clavulanic acid). As usual it affected me....

Currently
Supplements: None. 
Diet: Just trying to eat healthy. Able eat high histamine foods again 
Exercise: Only light strength exercises for 10-15 minutes

Wishing happy days to all survivors...:)

Edited by ChessieCat
changed font

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just want to express my feeling about one of the most important dates in my WD journey.

2 years ago this monday (today) was august 7th, in which I quit cold turkey tianeptine. Now I am 39 years old and I can honestly say that THAT DAY WAS THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE. Tianeptine acts on opioid receptors. Image about someone (me), who is terrible sensitive to even ordinary antidepressants and had took tianeptine with severe side effects and quit the drug cold turkey, without any clue about what is going on......

It was just like an opioid withdrawal, I was shaking, crying, whole body in sweat, heart was beating over 100/min, walking like a mad dog up and down, could not sleep even a single minute in whole night....

terrible, definitely terrible.....I will remember that day all of my life, I want other people know about it, these drugs are really poisons if someone is sensitive to them. maybe we are just a small population with these amount of sensitivity, but this is true....

now I am over 19 months off drugs, I can say that I am over 50% normal. not fully but in many ways back to my original life....

so please believe in recovery. because WD does not mean psychiatric disease. a person in WD do not have psychiatric disease. this is just a side effect of the drugs. and only cure is time...

• ChessieCat changed the title to wanttosurvive: tianeptine
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, 

Just an update about my recent wave. A few days ago a wave has just started. I am over 20 months off drugs. I was afraid about the so-called 'bad wave', which is said to appear between 18-20 months off drugs. But I can say that the previous one and this one have occurred normally, they happened as I expected. The symptoms are as usual. The previous one occurred almost in the first half of July and now a few days ago a recent one has just started. This means the interval between waves exceeds a month. In earlier days time out of waves were shorter. 

As usual, I have nausea, loss of appetite, heavy head feeling, loss of energy, fatigue, headache....I am angry, irritable...but these are much more tolerable.....

I will be updating, in this post I just wanted to point out the begining of the recent wave and highlight that no matter what happens the severity of the WD definitely lessens.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi wanttosurvive,

I've just found your story by reading Gth27's story (and by reading not happy end stories linked by him). 

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

I admire you deeply for your fight. Thanks for your detailed describtion of symptoms including courage writing openly about suicidal thoughts.

I'm mirtazapine victim as well, in fact disabled and home bound since day 1 of taking it (I was given it for situational issue, never had anxiety, depression, insomnia) I was 2 months on 7.5mg last Feb-Apr, CT. After severe wd anxiety (I knew nothing about AD wd) I was reinstated to 30 mg, got progressively worse and tapering  1 year. I've been going through many symptoms as you, the worst insomnia, anxiety, DP/DR and many many many others, situation worsened by me overnight since the 1st of July. I'm unable to leave a house, do anything, totally lost. I lost faith I must say.

BUT among all these stories, YOU give me some hope that there is a chance, there is a light. I can't imagine atm how can I go through (still long taper) but I have to go on now. THANK YOU

Thyroid medication Euthyrox 75mg

Mirtazapin Feb-Apr 2018 7.5mg, CT

Sertraline 25mg and Benzo Bromazepam 3mg 10 days July 2018

Reinstatement Mirtazapin since Jul 10 2018 15 mg,  since Jul 28 2018 22.5 mg, since Aug 20 2018 30 mg

Since Oct 2018 tapering Mirtazapin 10% every 2 weeks, holding at 4mg since 23th June, CT 4mg Dec 2019

Psych ward: Dec 2019 - Feb 2020, 5x ECT

Olanzapine Dec 17 2019 10mg, Mar 3 2020 9mg, Mar 14 2020 8mg, Mar 27 7.2 mg, Apr 4 2020 6.4mg, Apr 20 2020 5.7 mg, May 6 2020 5 mg

Venlafaxine Dec 17 2019 150mg, Jan 2020 75 mg, Feb 2020 37.5 mg, June 2020 33.75mg

Venlafaxine 225mg Jul 2020, olanzapine 10mg.

Lyrica 150mg Aug 2020,

Aurorix 450mg Sep 2020, olanzapine 5mg, 

Valdoxan 25mg Nov 2020

Hi Maya,

I can not explain how you made me feel so thankful about that I have reached someone, who is frustrated but feels some hope after reading my story.

I was just like you, knowing nothing about WD, drowned in the endless hopelessness but feeling a bit couraged after reading some success stories. I have read may be thousand times about journeys of Alto, Claudius, DizzyGirl and many more......

This is so unfair that we have so much sensitivities about these drugs, indeed just receiving only a couple of months made us sick and actually had thrown me into the whorl of depression, I was making plans how to end my life. In my story everything I have written is the sole truth, these are absolute side effects and consequences of these poisons in a very sensitive individual. 

But please DO NOT EVER LOSE YOUR HOPE. Now I am 21 months off drugs and lead my life almost in the way I had previously experienced. I still have symptoms of WD, actually I am in the midst of a wave right now, but I have learned how to cope with it. I got used to the symptoms. I admit WD as an illness happened just because that I am an unlucky person. I have not any chance to change my past. I had received these drugs and it caused all these absurb, weird, meaningless.... side effects that I am still struggling. But that's it, there is nothing to do with it, it is all over. Now I am looking forward and most of the time counting months and waiting for more recovery.

Do not hesitate, anytime you need support, just send a message...

Hugs...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, 

An update about the current wave:

For almost 1 month I am in a wave, struggling....symptoms are as expected, I am familiar with them. but the duration of the wave is longer than previous ones.

So I think this one is the so-called 'bad wave', which is said to appear around mouth 20. (although I am over 21 months off...)

symptoms:

1. nausea, stomach issues, pain, discomfort

2. heavy head feeling, headache, lack of concentration, forgetfulness

3. fatigue

4. loss of energy

5. mood changes 

6. sleep difficulties (now in hypersomnia phase). Note: In waves in the begining my sleep quality decreases, I have cortisol awakenings, Thanks God, not insomnia anymore but sleep cycle disruptions. After that period a new phase emerges, which I call hypersomnia phase. In these times I sleep a lot, over 8 hours...  

7. other symptoms of WD such as, nasal congestion, pins and needles like sensation, some ear ache, muscle/joint pain, etc, gum bleeding/pain, etc....

this is it, just wanted to give an uptade,

happy days to all survivors....

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, 

I am 22 months off drugs and this is a brief update.

Overall I am almost back to my 'de facto' life, which I had previously experienced expect the fact that I have still struggling with symptoms of WD.

Remaining symptoms (MAIN ONES)

1. STOMACH ISSUES: stomach pain, discomfort, nausea (only in waves), loss of appetite (only in waves)

2. Morning anxiety, cortisol awakenings in the early hours of the day (5-6 a.m.)

3. Heavy head feeling, head ache, concentration problems

4. PMS

5. Drink sensitivy (not food sensitivty anymore). avoding coffee, tea, some herbal teas...I can drink rosehip, linden, mint teas without side effects. ı drink chamomile tea only if I am stressed and in PMS.

6. Some edema on feet, hands, face (more prominent in PMS)

7. Some muscle ache, joint ache

8. Pin and needle like sensation (little)

9. Tooth ache, gum bleeding (little)...

symptoms I think they are gone

1. tinnitus

2. taste changes

3. muscle contractions

4. vertigo like feeling

5. light/noise/ motion sensitivity

6. histamine intolerance

7. ear ache...

overall most of the physical symptoms are MUCH MUCH BETTER. 

I am not homebond anymore, though I hesitate and afraid to tire myself out. 

My work is somehow demanding both pyhsically and mentally. I can manage to work, watch the schedule. Indeed now I have my ambitions back, now trying to get a rise. 

One of the most striking improvoment is about FOOD SENSITIVITY. now I can eat whatever I want to, only trying to eat healthy. I remember the days that I was sensitized almost all the good, healthy foods.... also I can eat high histamine foods without problems.

another great improvoment: I can take supplements.

I take two

1. oral probiotic for digestive health

2. redoxon kids chewable form, which includes Vit D, Vit C and zinc. BUT I take just one tablet. normal dosage for children is 2. I do not care, only that I can manage take 1 tablet without sensitivity. 

another improvement is about exercise. Before WD I was a fitness maniac I should say, exercising 5-6 days for 1-1,5 hours/ week. with depression and WD they had all gone.

last year I only managed to walk and do some light strenght exercise

But now I walk almost regularly and go to gym 2 days/week for 1 hour. this is a huge imprevement for me...

wishing happy days for all survivors, bye for now...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am almost 2 years off drugs. 

It was 17th december 2017 when I took my last dose of ADs.

As I am writing an update, I am still an active member of the community, still struggling with WD.

On the other hand, now I lead my life almost in the way I had lived before WD.....

I know my sensitivities and I avoid actions that trigger symptoms of WD. However, when a wave hits, I face with the brutal truth that what had these done to my body. This is so unfair, I am still paying the price. An overwhelming price for a couple of months drug history...

Nevertheless, if I am not in a wave, I usually ignore WD symptoms and trying not to focus on them, just trying to lead a happy, healthy life....

But again I am back with wave symptoms. It has started a few days ago. 

Nausea, stomach issues, loss of appetite, stomach discomfort, headache, heavy head feeling, feeling extreme cold almost like I am shivering all the time, fatigue, some muscle and joint pain, sleep disturbances....and other symptoms that come and go..... Of note, it has been a while since I experienced a wave, this means interval between waves getting longer.

Just wanted to give an update about the wave, will be updating about it.

Bye for now.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

New update. I am 26 months off drugs. 😇

How could I managed to come here, I do not know........ But I MUST SAY THAT NOW I LEAD MY LIFE NORMALLY. WD is not an issue that interrupts my life anymore. In the rush of life, I almost forget about it and if I remember gererally ignore it. 

I still experinece waves. However sympthoms are more like annoying reminders of the condition, not as severe as they used to be. When I feel head ache or stomach discomfort, I say "Oh, I know this this is just WD, keep on there is nothing to worry about..."

For the last month, symptoms have been as headache, heavy head feeling, concentration difficulties, stomach issues, ear/ tooth ache, pin and needles like sensations, sleep disturbances, either sleeping less or more than usual ..... These are just reminders, indicating that I am still in WD. 

I have a full time job, which is both physically and psychologically demanding. I can manage it, although I complain all the time. Next month my position will ve upgraded. I have been struggling for it. Anyway what I want to express is that I have ambitions and somehow enthusiasm again. 

I go to gym 3 days/week regularly, working for 1-1,5 hours, including cardio training. I remember I spend the days laying on the sofa, even simple walking used to knock me down. 

My appetite is good. Indeed I have put on weight. I should say that I am not the weak person, who is slouching around with a pale skin and a glommy face. 

ALL THE FOOD SENSINSITIES ARE GONE. I can eat whatever I want to. No more food sensitivies plus no more vitamin C, omega 3, magnesium sensitivities. Just tried these I do not know whether I have sensitivity for other supplements. Histamin sensitivity is also over.

Only hesitating to drink some beverages. In the beginning of WD I used to drink milk, chamomile tea and linden tea. I am still ok with them. For the last a few months I have included black tea. I can tolerate it if it weak but not in the evening. I have not tried coffee but I do not want to, because I have stomach problems. But I can tolerate chocolate. 

I can eat fish, nuts, eggs...no reaction. As supplements I can take vitamin C, magnesium, vitamin D and omega 3. 

Currently:

Omega 3 supplement: 800 mg fish oil plus 400 IU vitamin D

Vitamin C supplement: 500 mg; half in the morning, half in the evening

Magnesium: 365 mg (before sleep as foot soak, some nights forget it!)

Bye for now, I wish HAPPY DAYS TO ALL SURVIVORS 😊🙏