CreativeSoul: Entering the Zoloft zone!

CreativeSoul

Hello,

I am so grateful to have found a place where there are people who support and understand each other. It is so difficult talking to others about this topic as they either don't understand as they've never walked in your shoes, make judgements or give you uneducated advice. Obviously being depressed must mean to some people that I cannot think for myself, make good decisions or know what I'm doing. Right. So, thank you for being an accepting, supporting and educating place that is safe, kind and caring.

I have been on the not so lovely Zoloft since 2010. It all started with the birth of my little munchkin which sent me into a deep, dark and hopeless hole. The doctor called it post-partum depression. I called it misery. It was worsened by everyone around me as they continually reminded me this was supposed to be the happiest time in my life; motherhood. To me their words were a constant stab in the gut with each reminder a twist of the knife. I didn't feel anything so how could I feel anything towards this little thing that screamed at me all day and night? I wanted to run away; I ran to my doctor who I thought would save me from this torture. My doctor had one answer to end the misery and make my life as a mother television perfect; my savior was an oval pill named Zoloft.

3 months of being saved by Zoloft made me feel less numb. I didn't want to run away and I started to actually have an interest in the little crying bundle I spent my days with. All was seeming good until I realized my savior ran out. I called the doctor to get more but that was not as easy as getting it the first time. Now I needed to go see a psychiatrist to get more. Ah, but there was a huge road block called work. See when you have a baby in the USA, your maternity leave ends at 3 months. My job required me working 14 hour days so getting in to see this doctor was nearly impossible. So my savior and I abrubtly parted ways. My body was so distraught I went into severe withdrawal of headaches, insomnia, sweating, suicidal thoughts, leg cramps, fatigue, shakiness and muscle aches. It was horrible and took 6 months to overcome.

In 2013 all was going well. I was pregnant with baby #2 and life was happy. When I was 5 months pregnant I knew something was wrong. The baby decided Earth was not the right place and left. I went into a deep hole again. My doctor this time around again offered me the same treatment claiming it is the best one for this type of thing. Zoloft snuck back into my life.

Since then I have been hanging out with Zoloft. 2 weeks ago I stopped taking it fully after I tapered down. It was going well and I was feeling great. I recently was diagnosed with euthroid Hashimotos. I started .25mg Synthroid 3days ago. Yesterday I started feeling horrible. Last night and today were worse. I have insomnia even though I'm extremely fatigued, I'm crying all the time, my body aches, I have headaches, leg cramps, tingling in my hands and lips, sweating, cold hands and feet, muscle stiffness in my upper back, neck and arms, mental fogginess, shortness of breath, irritability, agitation, upset stomach, indigestion, moodiness, seasick sensation, dizziness, lightheadedness and nausea. Pretty much I feel horrible. I cannot function. I get fatigued walking to the bathroom. I feel so uncomfortable it is getting unbearable. I broke down and took 150mg of Zoloft tonight as that's what I was taking. I'm hoping this is withdrawal and reinstating the Zoloft will make it go away as I don't know how much more I can handle.

No doctor ever discussed with me how hard and horrible getting off Zoloft would be. I had NO idea it would be this bad. This is worse than the hole I was in initially. I feel like I'm dying and that alone is depressing.

That is the end of how I entered...the Zoloft Zone!!!!!!

• ChessieCat changed the title to CreativeSoul: Entering the Zoloft zone!
  • Administrator

Welcome, CreativeSoul.

Thank you for your kind words. 

It's unfortunate that doctors are so prone to treating every woman problem with antidepressants. Of course you were bereft, you lost your baby -- besides, your hormones were going crazy.

It sounds like you have withdrawal symptoms from going off Zoloft too fast. We recommend a 10% decrease per month, calculated on the last dosage. If I were you, I'd take 10mg Zoloft right away. Even this small amount might help, and it will be easier to taper off later. Zoloft comes in a liquid form or you can make your own, see this topic for information Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

Coincidentally, I have euthroid Hashimoto's and have been worrying about it for years. My primary care physician is very reluctant to prescribe thyroid hormone except if symptoms are severe. Recently, I conferred with a cardiologist who is also editor of JAMA Internal Medicine. She said she prescribes thyroid drugs only in case of fatigue and doesn't care what the test results say. She says nobody knows what they mean, which is my conclusion after reading a lot about Hashimoto's. She said she gets papers all the time about how thyroid hormone (and statins) are overprescribed. "If it's not broke, don't fix it," is her motto. Thyroid hormone is bad for bones and bad for heart, take it only if absolutely necessary.

This put my mind at ease, I'm not going to worry about my thyroid tests anymore. Thyroid drugs are another thing doctors throw at women because they don't know what else to do.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 3 months later...

Any update?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017