Moonpie: need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

Moonpie

Moonpie

I want to give an update.  I don't want to just post when the bottom is falling out.  I know when I scroll through I need to find some hopeful positive moments in peoples journey.   Since my 3rd week of being off Lexapro (started my 4th Saturday, hard to believe it seems longer) my withdrawal symptoms have been crazy, changing within even 30 minutes to an hour.  Some I have never even had.  I realize my poor body and brain is working hard and balancing and trying to heal.  Sunday I had a BIG window.  I had practically no symptoms, my mind was clear no obsessive crazy thoughts, energy, a lot.  I didn't feel perfect but I didn't have anxiety and they tight chest.  I taught Sunday School, kept nursery, and went to the store.  

I should have but at that moment I realized how very much this affects my thinking. And of course how we are thinking can amp up symptoms. I was worried about my blood sugar or foot issues.  We will see but I truly think it is the med and tapering that is causing these.  All this was gone Sunday.  When I started having some withdrawal Sunday night, it was slight but I notice my thinking trying to go back to that dark place.  I just kept refusing the thoughts. 

My blood sugar which not as major as I was panicking over started the past year on my last year of Lexapro taper.  My feet the last month I was holding my last dose.  I believe these meds to many things to our bodies that may not be documented and deals with how very different we each are.   The are so unpredictable in many ways.

After each window I would think, "It's over!"  I realize now it may not be, there may be another wave.  That helped me because thinking every window was the end (and I know someday it will be) only increased my anxiety when I new wave comes.  So I am going to enjoy the windows no matter how small and like I said before try to keep that my focus.  And when or if a wave comes I will just go through it, because another window will come.

Today I have some anxiety, exhaustion, tight chest,  Uncomfortable but not unbearable. Still not much appetite.  So i am making sure what I put in my mouth gives me the most nutritional bang for the bite.  I have lost 4 pounds last week.  I have 2 jobs today, and as a Christian I pray for God's strength. 

Bach's Rescue Remedy has helped( thank you @Frogie for the suggestion and all your wise help and encouragement!)

When I was having really bad days,  I would turn a Bible audio on reading the Psalms.  It helped too. It didn't take it away but took the edge off.

I am healing.  It's not fun and yes I wish it was quick but that's not my call.  It feels strange and good not to take that capsule at night.  I am refusing to think about how long it will be till my body is okay or when it will all be over.  All I have to deal with and can deal with is right now, this moment this day.  No that's not easy sometime, and yes it is hard work not to jump head to a place I have not been and have no clue what it holds, BUT it keeps things from being worse than that are.  I hope this helps someone.  This is today and I purpose to keep this my path.  Hang I their everyone!  Even though the times may be hard, we ARE moving forward with each taper, with each day off.  And doing those things, forward is the ONLY way we are going no matter what is happening at the moment.  

Everyone can remind me of this if I slip later!  

1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16 - taper start 2/17.  1/07/2017 tapering A.m. and pm doses .001 every 4 days.  Prescribed for a thyroid medication mess up made thyroid go crazy for 8 months. Was very sensitive to Ativan.  OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018

10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 mg every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021
5 mg. Buspar  divided into two, 2.5 mg doses AM and PM- Start date 9/26/2016 .

N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  12-22-17 reduced  from  75 mg. to 67.5 daily,  dose now 60 mg a day

Bioidentical hormones. Bi-est/Prog cream, 1/4 tsp.  1 time daily

My intro: Moonpie:. Need help and supporting tapering off of Ativan

My benzo thread: Moonpie: Need help Ativan weight tapering

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moonpie

• Shep

• ChessieCat

• Frogie

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's quite human what you're feeling. Sounds like there's some grief in the mix, Moonpie. Now that you're no longer masking your emotions with drugs, you're feeling loss.    That's o

Thank you Shep, you are right.  Everything is so gradual that it is hard to see the progression of changes.  I would have never dreamed of the changes these meds made in my mind and body. It is so com

It could just be your nervous system needing time to settle down since your recent (and last) decrease. Hopefully you'll see improvements soon. A puppy sounds like a great distraction. 

Hope and pray you get out of this roller coaster soon. I am also tapering Lexapro. Can you tell me how you counted doses lower than 0.1mg.

• Escitalopram 5mg  13dec 2020 to 23 Jan  2020 for 5weeks each day. Quited for a week . Suffered Bad withdrawls. Took 1 tab of escitalopram 5mg 30 jan 2020
  • Replaced escitalopram with st. John's wort 500mg 2feb2021 to 13feb 2021 for 10 days. Felt great for a week
  • Then again suffered panic attacks, pounding heart and chest pain. Heart rate fluctuations 90 to 100s
  • 27days off of escitalopram, 900mg omega 3. Bad withdrawls 
  • Reinstated 1mg escitalopram 27, 28 Feb 2021
  • 1st March 2021 Taking 0.5 mg escitalopram still having high heart rate, occasional heart palpitations. Shoulder bone hurts when touched. 

Moonpie
20 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Moonpie, what have you been doing for exercise?

I see you tagged me in Thelongestroadhome's topic. If you want to ask a question about your taper, please do it here, in your 

@Altostrata thank you for replying. I am in some windows now and doing better. I clean houses and offices several days a week which is a lot of activity and I was walking my dog 14 blocks a day until I started having this hard time and the weather got bad

1.5 mg Ativan - .5 mg  three x daily -start date 9/24/16 - taper start 2/17.  1/07/2017 tapering A.m. and pm doses .001 every 4 days.  Prescribed for a thyroid medication mess up made thyroid go crazy for 8 months. Was very sensitive to Ativan.  OFF ATIVAN! 11-17-2018

10 mg. Lexapro. PM - 5 mg start date 10/11/2016 increased to 10 mg 2/2/17. 1-1-2019 Began tapering Lexapro.  .001 mg every 4 days.  Held longer if there was WD.  Last doses some I held a month.  OFF LEXAPRO! 2-21 2021

N.P. Desiccated Thyroid.  12-22-17 reduced  from  75 mg. to 67.5 daily,  dose now 60 mg a day

Moonpie

@Aleena I did it by weight with a jeweler scale, by crushing the tablets weighing them and putting them in capsules. My starting weight with the Lexapro for my pills was. .152.  I did find that around .002 to or .001 in weight that I would have to put a small piece of Lexapro on the scale as added weight otherwise it wouldn't register. I hope this helps.  Please please go slow. I did that  of one every four days sometimes I even held that 2, 3 even four times more to stabilize. In the beginning I got my panties in a wad about it taking so long, but I realize the longer I take the less I suffer and the quicker I will heal. I will end up accomplishing the same thing but in a better place. This is my second drug to come off this way and I'm glad did it. Slowly giving my mind and body time to heal. It wasn't a walk in the park, and there were hard times but they passed quickly and I was able to work and continue to function. Try to keep your mind focused on your goal of getting off of the Lexapro. Not when you get off. Hang in there. You will make it.

Moonpie

Update  It has now been a little over  1 month since I stopped Lexapro.  I have had 7 windows, yes I count them and am very thankful for them.  I have days where there isn't anxiety but there are other symptoms, then I have had some bad nights where anxiety kept me up most of the night.  Symptoms are about like a taper, some a little worse.  Intrusive thoughts, queasy stomach, lack of appetite, anxiety, obsessive about health and symptoms, tight chest, trouble breathing, (actually woke up one night gasping for air), depression, tired. Just a feeling of not being ok. One I do not see how it can be blamed on withdrawal but who knows what this drug does to our bodies. I have to go back an reread my own post from when I had the good 4 day window.  The more I suffer the more muddled my thinking gets but I keep reminding myself that it is the med doing this.  

A bright note - there are several but this one stands out.  I have a house a clean once a week, it is 5 hours of straight work no breaks.  It is so big I do upstairs one week and downstairs the next.  I am usually not only exhausted that night and the next day but also have anxiety.  I did it last week and was a normal tired, took a nap and walked my dog his 14 blocks, and slept well that night.  Big difference.

I also keep remembering this is not part a taper this is my body healing.  So glad I went slow but am ready for it to be over.  

• 2 weeks later...
Moonpie

Update.  6 weeks out off of Lexapro.  It hasn't been easy, but it hasn't been a nightmare. Windows are still there but not as pronounced, still thankful for them.  This is different than my taper as I haven't had complete stabilization.  I have lost 6 pounds and didn't need to.  I have been in another car accident, this one was my fault, the boy was in my blind spot changing lanes, flat tire and freezer went out all in less than a week.  Not bad things but stressful. Actually handled it ok.  Symptoms:  mild anxiety all day, sometimes increasing, neck pain, waking early in the morning, (sleep is pretty much okay most of the time, wake a lot during the night), tired, depressed, anhedonia, feeling of no purpose,  no appetite but I am eating and very healthy, sometimes queasy stomach,  sometimes anxiety after a meal, brain fog, some obsessive thoughts about health.

I did find a post where Altostrata said that her blood sugar was somewhat elevated after being on the meds but resolved itself.  That helped some.  I was EXTREMELY stressed the day of an before my blood draw, and I know that can raise sugars some.  It wasn't that much over and  like I said the Dr. isn't concerned, will retest in a couple of months. Trying not to obsess over it.  

I need to taper Buspar so I can get this tooth fixed, that is 3 years out from the dentist saying do it ASAP.  If I go like I did with my others .001 in weight every 4 days it will be about another year.  Kinda afraid to push and and do more.  I was planning on starting the 1st of May but might wait till the first of June.  If I could I would wait longer but don't' want complications with my tooth.  @Shep will it be okay to go ahead and start my taper if I am not 100% stabilized?  I sure thought I would be further along than this by now. 

Moonpie

@brassmonkey I started keeping a journal of symptoms and experiences when came to SA.  It has been very helpful.  I just passed the 6 week mark of going off Lexapro after a 2 year and 20 day taper.  (My last dose was .001 in weight (starting weight .152, and I held it a month before going to zero.)  Out of that time I have had 5 very bad days - very bad.  In the beginning my was having some windows.  I actually had a 4 day one at the 1 month mark. I am noticing that I am having fewer and fewer windows and while not always horrific, my WD symptoms are stronger,  but intolerable but still affecting me.   This started about 10 days ago.  Before that they were there sometimes a little stronger but not like this.  I am careful with my food, trying to get enough rests, and everything advised. I seem to have quit making progress.  What could be wrong?  I hate the thought of reinstating after such a short time and going so far. I feel like I am giving in, and will reinstatement just put me through all this again when I go off.  Just just toughing it out hinder my healing?    I am not stabilizing like I did with tapers or of course thought I would.   Feeling very abnormal right now.

brassmonkey

Making the jump to "0" doesn't mean that WD is over, it just means that the drug is no longer directly affecting how you feel. For almost everyone making the jump there are going to continue to be swings in symptoms for several months after stopping. This is quite normal and unless they become debilitating, nothing to worry about. Toughing it out is going to be the best way to handle it. Each wave should leave you in a better place once it resolves. If things get too bad it is possible to take a "rescue dose" by dipping a toothpick into the powder or liquid and taking an extremely small amount.

If you haven't read this, check it out: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/23081-are-we-there-yet-how-long-is-withdrawal-going-to-take/?tab=comments#comment-492502

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Moonpie

Thank you @brassmonkey   I also think I am also comparing It to my Ativan taper. When I took my last micro dose I felt good and had minor and short lived  symptoms. Maybe also I have just written my script of how I thought it would be.  When I was tapering my waves didn't last this long and few were this extreme. I am shocked at the duration and intensity. 

Are you talking about  something like Xanax for the tiny amount or the Lexapro for an emergency  rescue. I know my doctor would give me Xanax,  and I have seriously been tempted to ask some for the times when  it was so extreme and has lasted for most of the night or day. Thank goodness there haven't many of those.   I could not function all day. Just lay in bed.  The anxiety was horrific.

I have given that long hard thought and consideration about getting some Xanax from my dr. to take during those times but I don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the healing I've already done. Would the small amount you mentioned have that affect on my nervous system?

I still have Buspar to taper. As I have posted before I have a tooth that was supposed to be fixed 3 years ago that cannot be done because of a reaction it caused from he deadening.  My dentist told me it scared him so badly he would not work on me till I was off all of this.  I cannot afford sedation dentistry, nor would I even want to try it right now.  So that is my reason for wanting to go ahead and taper the Buspar is soon as possible. But I won't until I have stabilized for at least a month.      

I did have a window to day of relief after I ate, which usually gives me anxiety. I took a nap. Getting up and getting around seems to have made things a little worse but it is more than bearable unlike the last 2 days,  But I have to go to work tonight so no more laying down.   I appreciate your support and advice  so very much.

brassmonkey

The rescue dose would be a tiny bit of the Lexapro. I would stay away from any other drugs. They may help a bit but there is a really good chance they won't help and possibly even cause bigger problems.

Sorry to hear about the tooth. I just had a root canal I've been putting off for several years. No problems, but I'm not a fan of dental work.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Moonpie

I feel for you brassmonkey dental work is no fun.  Even if it ends up having to be pulled I want my dentist of 15 years to do it!!

Moonpie

I just had this thought.  How many remember a game called "Going on a Bear Hunt" you played as a child?  You sit and rhythmically slap your hands on your knees.  Through the game you go through certain scenery, and the players chant, "Coming to a forest,  can't go under it, can't go over it, can't go round it, have to go through it."  This reminds me of getting off these meds and going through everything we face.  We want to find any way than going through it but that is what we have to do.  Maybe a silly post but it rung true with me.

• Mentor
1 hour ago, Moonpie said:

I just had this thought.  How many remember a game called "Going on a Bear Hunt" you played as a child?  You sit and rhythmically slap your hands on your knees.  Through the game you go through certain scenery, and the players chant, "Coming to a forest,  can't go under it, can't go over it, can't go round it, have to go through it."  This reminds me of getting off these meds and going through everything we face.  We want to find any way than going through it but that is what we have to do.  Maybe a silly post but it rung true with me.

Moonpie:

With that strong, positive attitude, you will get through that forrest and come out to the sunshine on the other side.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal and Prilosec from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine

Xanax 1mg three times a day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) three times a day to .003 grams three times a day.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional. The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

Moonpie

Thank you Frogie!  Always my cheerleader!❤

Moonpie

I thought this might help someone else.  I realized the other day my multiple vitamin is way low in Calcium and magnesium.  I had some powdered calcium carbonate.  I took it for 2 days.  Both days I felt like death on a cracker.  I assumed it was WD, it  was debilitating. I couldn't sleep but just lay in bed so very weak and past exhausted.  Then I realized it had been since I took the calcium.  I looked up the side affects and there it was!  Loss of appetite (which I had worse than usual) and fatigue!!!  Who would have thought.  I haven't taken any today and feel much better.  Crazy how supplements can affect us. Not sure if the sensitivity is because WD or that is the way it will affect me.  Not trying anymore until I my nervous system settles down!